PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Odyssey Doesn't Have "Game Over" Screens, Apparently You just lose coins

Rubeus
07-06-2017, 11:35 PM
https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/screen_medium/1576/15769789/3248172-nintendoswitch_supermarioodyssey_scrn04_e3.jpg

Super Mario Odyssey Doesn't Have "Game Over" Screens, Apparently
You lose coins when you die.

The Super Mario franchise is known for its Gamer Over screens, but don't expect to see them in this year's highly anticipated Super Mario Odyssey. The game's Japanese Twitter account recently posted a video that shows what happens when Mario dies. You will lose an allotment of coins, but you'll never see a Game Over screen, apparently.

As Polygon explains, Odyssey also doesn't have lives and 1-Ups. The game does have a checkpoint system, so when you die, you may not have to go back too far. Coins are apparently pretty plentiful, so you may not have to worry about getting too low.

We have contacted Nintendo in an attempt to get more details on why Odyssey doesn't have Game Over screens. It sounds like it's a way to keep people in the action.

For the Nintendo Switch game Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Nintendo added an smart-steering and auto-acceleration, presumably to accomodate new players. These are both optional.

Odyssey launches on October 27 exclusively for Nintendo Switch. We recently learned that it supports two-player local co-op. We played the game at E3 and you can read our gameplay impressions here and you can watch a demo of it here.

In other news, someone has modded Odyssey's hat-possesion ability into Super Mario 64, so that's pretty cool.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-mario-odyssey-doesnt-have-game-over-screens-/1100-6451462/

spider-prime
07-06-2017, 11:58 PM
game over screens are pointless now. They really only needed to be with the original arcade games.
With save files, it kind of defeats the purpose of game over screens. Faster to just put you back to where you saved last or back to a hub instead of just exiting back to the title screen and have to reload everything again.

I think instead we need a "YOU SUCK" screen. Makes much more sense.

Drunken Savior
07-07-2017, 12:05 AM
I think instead we need a "YOU SUCK" screen. Makes much more sense.

http://i.imgur.com/zI4Zpop.jpg

Ernst
07-07-2017, 01:17 AM
If they take any tension out of the game by making it as convenient and least punishing as possible, what's the point?

Hagane
07-07-2017, 01:40 AM
game over screens are pointless now. They really only needed to be with the original arcade games.
With save files, it kind of defeats the purpose of game over screens. Faster to just put you back to where you saved last or back to a hub instead of just exiting back to the title screen and have to reload everything again.

And I miss passwords where the real frustration came from having to introduce the long ass wall of words and numbers then rage when they tell you it's incorrect.

If they take any tension out of the game by making it as convenient and least punishing as possible, what's the point?

In a generation where they take your hand from the beginning to the end with checpoints every 5 steps that's just perfectly normal.

Unless they add bonfires in future games I don't see this changing.

Ernst
07-07-2017, 03:31 AM
And I miss passwords where the real frustration came from having to introduce the long ass wall of words and numbers then rage when they tell you it's incorrect.

In a generation where they take your hand from the beginning to the end with checpoints every 5 steps that's just perfectly normal.

Unless they add bonfires in future games I don't see this changing.

The Gamespot review of Crash Bandicoot really shows this. A 6. Because it's 'too difficult'. Disgraceful. The continual dilution of difficulty and any inconvenience in games just serves to remove any tension and investment the player has. That's why Nier Automata was so good. You suffered for failing.

Escaflowne2001
07-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Just because there is no game over screen doesn't mean the game can't be challenging. There is a fine line between challenging and frustrating. If a game becomes frustrating then it's failed.

Hagane
07-07-2017, 05:04 AM
The Gamespot review of Crash Bandicoot really shows this. A 6. Because it's 'too difficult'. Disgraceful. The continual dilution of difficulty and any inconvenience in games just serves to remove any tension and investment the player has. That's why Nier Automata was so good. You suffered for failing.

Can you honestly trust a gamespot review?

Those guys give a low rating if they didn't like the cover of the game.

Ernst
07-08-2017, 05:17 AM
Just because there is no game over screen doesn't mean the game can't be challenging. There is a fine line between challenging and frustrating. If a game becomes frustrating then it's failed.

Disagree. Being beat in a game and having to go back to the start of the area is frustrating, when there's no auto save, a la Neir. But that frustration is healthy. And wanting to avoid that frustration is what makes combat so incredibly tense.

Needless frustration at controls, etc, is bad. But sometimes games should frustrate us and make us want to throw the controller at the wall.

Nem
07-09-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm ok with that. Game over screens are antiquated now. No one has the time to restart the whole level after one mistake. It's too punishing.

It's for example, one of the problems i have with the Dynasty warriors series. Kind of sours the experience even though i love to play it.

Ernst
07-10-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm ok with that. Game over screen are antiquated now. No one has the time to restart the whole level after one mistake. It's too punishing.

It's for example, one of the problem i have with the Dynasty warriors series. Kind of sours the experience even though i love to play it.

How long until no one has the time to restart the area? Just have a skip feature.

Sinful Sam
07-11-2017, 02:42 AM
IDK. I guess will see how they implement it. I understand they may need to younger audience or players who don't want the challenge but make it an option.

Ernst
07-11-2017, 03:39 PM
IDK. I guess will see how they implement it. I understand they may need to younger audience or players who don't want the challenge but make it an option.

Why?

Nem
07-11-2017, 05:15 PM
How long until no one has the time to restart the area? Just have a skip feature.

I think you are exagerating.

This depends on the game.

On DW the levels take half an hour to an hour. To have to restart is quite punishing.

We are nowhere near a skip button.

I don't play Mario games very much, but if the levels are only a few minutes, it's not on the same urgency.

Sinful Sam
07-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Why?
Damn. I would say "Why?" to my own post after reading that... the hell was I thinking...

Nintendo is always catering to a younger audience. Some of their big games like Mario is meant for all ages. Which is why I understand they may need to ease it down for the more causal audience. Games have changed a long way since the Mario games from NES / SNES/ N64. Video games from those generations had hardly any casual gamers. I just hope they can please both sides.

Now I must hide in disgust after reading my post. How embarrassing...:crazy::crazy:

spider-prime
07-12-2017, 10:26 PM
and you should feel bad, too!

Sinful Sam
07-13-2017, 12:29 AM
:(

Ernst
07-13-2017, 01:17 AM
Damn. I would say "Why?" to my own post after reading that... the hell was I thinking...

Nintendo is always catering to a younger audience. Some of their big games like Mario is meant for all ages. Which is why I understand they may need to ease it down for the more causal audience. Games have changed a long way since the Mario games from NES / SNES/ N64. Video games from those generations had hardly any casual gamers. I just hope they can please both sides.

Now I must hide in disgust after reading my post. How embarrassing...:crazy::crazy:

Shame! Shame!

But seriously. I get your point. It just saddens me.