PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Castlevania animated series premieres July 7, debut trailer

Rubeus
05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
iIMrFnl5NiA

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Netflix-Castlevania-Premiere-July-7-Init.jpg

Netflix Castlevania animated series premieres July 7, debut trailer -- Meet the one who will kill Dracula.

Netflix will appear its Castlevania animated series on July 7, the entertainment company announced.

As previously detailed by Netflix, Castlevania is a dark medieval fantasy following the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself.

Season one of Castlevania will consist of four, 30-minute episodes. A second season will air in 2018.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/netflix-castlevania-animated-series-premieres-july-7-debut-trailer

spider-prime
05-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Animation looks odd to me. Probably cause it's hand drawn with cgi.

Joe Redifer
05-30-2017, 04:09 AM
That's all the rage these days. Have you watched the new Voltron? It's CGI all over the place but it made to look hand drawn. It's really quick and easy to do it that way rather than put actual effort, skill, and labor into the animation.

Drunken Savior
05-30-2017, 04:40 AM
If it wasn't attached to Netflix, I'd be really skeptical. Since it is, I'm only slightly skeptical.

spider-prime
05-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Personally, I'm only interested cause Warren Ellis wrote the story to it.

SavedFromSin
06-01-2017, 11:16 AM
That looks bad bad bad bad bad.

Sinful Sam
07-11-2017, 02:32 AM
Has anyone watched it yet? I'll check out the first couple episodes.

spider-prime
07-11-2017, 05:29 AM
It's bad. I wouldn't waste your time. I got through 2 episodes and stopped watching it. The only appeal is the gore in it. Plots from the game are in it, like Alucard and his Mother. But, the 2 episodes I watched were just preachy crap that could have been summed up in 2 mins, but instead we get them talking about it for the entire episode and it's all the same narrative that you see in most stuff now, especially in marvel comics.

They, even in Castlevania, put in the whole science and belief crap and how she believes in facts and science....... WHEN SHE IS TALKING TO DRACULAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I wanted to shoot myself.

I will finish it. But holy shit. Why is all this SJW stuff in EVERYTHING now? Especially when it doesn't fit the story and takes away from it. People who used to be really creative seem to be going insane with these Social Political opinions in their works. I know they mostly have it hidden within the story... but it's banging you right on the head with most of it now and every writer is putting in the SAME EXACT POINT every single time. ie Christian straight White Males are PURE EVILLLLLLLLLLL!

If I wanted to watch something about that, I would go watch Anita Sarkeesian videos with a drill to my head.

So, watch it for the violence... ignore the story.

Ernst
07-11-2017, 03:37 PM
I actually enjoyed it. The animation is disgusting, but I did like it.

I didn't notice too much sjw stuff. It does use the Catholic Church as the bad guys, but I kinda like the evil Catholic Church trope. They make a good enemy!

The biggest problem with it is the animation. But even so many anime look awful these days, sadly.

Sinful Sam
07-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Yeah it wasn't half bad. The violence was pretty well done. I agree the animation is pretty awful looking.

Joe Redifer
07-12-2017, 11:38 PM
None of you mentioned the music! The music in anything related to Castlevania should never be so... mediocre. it needs to have awesome music. And it doesn't. The voice acting is TEH SuXX0RZ as well. Why does Sypha have such a horrible, forced accent? WHY??? Nobody else in that world has an accent even close to that. Why does she have that accent? Who made this decision? How do we send feedback to the authorities about this?

Sinful Sam
07-13-2017, 12:28 AM
I can't even recall the music. I must have tuned it out.

Drunken Savior
07-14-2017, 04:41 AM
I actually liked it. Maybe it's low expectations, but I'm really excited to see where they go with it in Season 2.

I don't really see how Social Justice plays a role in this, other than the church is kinda corrupt in it's higher ranks in this universe. Doesn't really feel forced at all. I mean, they did hunt 'witches' back in the day and that's what sets off the chain of events in this show...which is what happened in the game...so...what's the problem?

spider-prime
07-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Not talking about the witch hunts. Talking about their conversations about it are just so forced and boring opinionated drivel that ALL writers are writing today. The dialog doesn't seem like they come from the character but the writer. I just find it really bad writing.

If you watch Dr. Who for example, he actually mentions Trump as being evil. I can't get away from this shit, it's everywhere!
I was reading a manga that I love from Gantz creator, Inu Yashiki.... Trump again telling everyone to go murder people cause he legalized murder.
Marvel did this for example.

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/07/trump-modok-spider-gwen-188535.jpg

I only use the trump examples cause it's the most obvious hit you in the head thing they are doing. Others, use symbolism and metaphors to do the rest.

It's just so bland and boring, if it was only here and there, it wouldn't bother me, but IT'S EVERYWHEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Actually, I will add this. There are some that do this the right way, like Alan Moore's stuff. I always like how he portrays stuff in his stories.

Drunken Savior
07-14-2017, 07:27 PM
We must differ on what forced writing is because it didn't feel forced or unnatural to me, to be honest. The characters and groups in the show all have been negatively affected by the church. Belmont clan excommunicated, Seekers being blamed for Dracula's hordes, killing Lisa while Dracula was away. Forced writing is when characters bring up someone that has no real baring on the context of the story. In the show, it all kinda fits as all the characters have serious beef for the church and it's authority and use of violence and intimidation.

spider-prime
07-14-2017, 07:46 PM
To be fair, I haven't watched the last 2 episodes, mostly cause I found the first 2 to be boring, I didn't even care for the action in them, the only part I liked in it is when they showed Alucard for the first time arguing with Dracula. That part felt right to me with the characters.

I would have to rewatch it again to find the parts I'm pointing out in the lines.
I had high hopes for this to be at least something that I would like despite not caring for the animation style, I've seen worse, mostly cause I love Castlevania, even the bad ones, like the N64 game.

But, even warren ellis writing didn't feel like it was his. I've read quite a bit from him, but it felt like they just hired some guy off the street to quickly write something in the 2 episodes I watched. It made me feel like they got someone to rewrite it, but they still had to credit him, cause this is actually common in a lot of stuff.

His Thunderbolts comic run was just fantastic. Making the Green Goblin the leader and trying to keep his sanity so he doesn't turn back into the Goblin was just fun to read.

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/image32-1024x810.jpg

Drunken Savior
07-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Well, if you're a SOTN fan, you kinda owe it to yourself to at least watch the final episode.

Yeah, they definately didn't secretly re-write Ellis's script. That's a big no-no in the industry. Look at all the writers attached to the Spiderman movie to see how writing can be such a clusterfuck. Also, Ellis is actively promoting the show on his twitter, it's definitely his.

Also, I felt like Ellis included a lot of subtle fan service regarding Castlevania lore. I don't even fancy myself a big aficionado of the lore, but I caught some subtle jokes that made me smile...and then there's the scene with them jumping on the giant gears, the use of the axe/holy water...all pretty faithful to the basic lore. And I honestly appreciated that he made Trevor kind of cynical/sarcastic...the show's humor is a bright spot for me. Not totally in your face, but just enough to lighten the mood a bit and add a chuckle here and there.

spider-prime
07-14-2017, 08:10 PM
I will finish it, I finished Jessica Jones and whew boy, I found to be extremely bad, like turning the Purple man into a stalker with a crush......... blah! Even the fox kids X-Men series did him better than the JJ's version. Which is a shame, cause I love David Tennant :( 10th Doctor FTW!

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130517174700/headhuntersholosuite/images/d/d2/X-Men_5x04_002.jpg