PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect Series on Hold, According to Report

Rubeus
05-10-2017, 09:23 PM
http://cdn.segmentnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/1-4.jpg

Mass Effect Series on Hold, According to Report -- On hold, but not canceled.

Mass Effect Andromeda developer BioWare Montreal has put the series on hiatus, according to a report.

A representative for EA sent us the following statement:

“Our teams at BioWare and across EA put in tremendous effort bringing Mass Effect Andromeda to players around the world. Even as BioWare continues to focus on the Mass Effect Andromeda community and live service, we are constantly looking at how we're prepared for the next experiences we will create.

The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we are driving collaboration between studios on key projects.

With our BioWare and Motive teams sharing studio space in Montreal, we have BioWare team members joining Motive projects that are underway. We're also ramping up teams on other BioWare projects in development.

There will be much more to come from BioWare in the years ahead.”

Kotaku reports BioWare Montreal is now a "support studio," with employees not working on Star Wars Battlefront II instead staying at the studio to "help support BioWare’s other games," its sources said.

BioWare Montreal will still be working on patches and fixes for Mass Effect: Andromeda's multiplayer.

One of the "other projects" is BioWare's brand-new IP, first announced back in January. During yesterday's EA quarterly earnings call, the company announced the new BioWare IP release date was being pushed back to no earlier than April 2018, after the start of its 2019 fiscal year.

The report also said BioWare isn't doing away with its vaunted series, but is instead pumping the brakes on a followup to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Andromeda didn't quite set the world on fire in the same way the first Mass Effect games did, suffering some Internet-famous animation issues early on. In our Mass Effect: Andromeda review, we gave it a 7.7.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/05/10/mass-effect-series-on-hold-according-to-report

Drunken Savior
05-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Still kind of shocked they put an amateur team on their most popular franchise.

spider-prime
05-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Still kind of shocked they put an amateur team on their most popular franchise.

same reason as every franchise, they think the name alone could sell it so they do it to save money.

But, I don't even think it was that, smaller teams get more pressure from higher ups to get things done while they are undermanned and already over worked. So the work itself will end up lacking and if they have a deadline that the high ups want to make to make the shareholders happy, then you get unfinished work.

This type of thing happens way too much nowadays, mostly cause games are getting more complex, so they require more work than the old retro games.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-a-delayed-game-is-eventually-good-but-a-rushed-game-is-forever-bad-shigeru-miyamoto-20-21-20.jpg

Drunken Savior
05-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Shouldda delayed Star Fox Zero and make it a Wii U/Switch game.

spider-prime
05-10-2017, 11:02 PM
No kidding, he should have followed his own words lol. But, a lot of what was wrong was miyamoto's fault, he pushed for those features in Star Fox Zero, apparently it was supposed to play like a normal Star Fox game, but he wanted all those wonky controls.

I really don't get how Nintendo doesn't know how to put out a good star fox game. The funnier thing is... why are we all fans of a bad series that they keep pushing out bad every single time after star fox 64?

Nem
05-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Shouldda delayed Star Fox Zero and make it a Wii U/Switch game.

I don't think it would make a difference unless he decided to ditch motion controls.

Hagane
05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Sure, Miyamoto got that right. That why Duke Nukem Forever and Mighty no. 9 are the critically acclaimed masterpieces we know & love.

Star Fox got the rat lab treatment. They did that awful Star Fox Command with touch controls then we got Zero, no further comments there.

They should have learned with Star Fox 64 3d and leave the controls as an option but they were so hellbent in proving that gimmicks can attract everyone.

Rest in peace Star Fox. See you in the next Smash Bros.

About Mass Effect well it's a game under EA's flag so it was bound to commit a screw up.

spider-prime
05-11-2017, 10:19 PM
The difference with the problems with the new mass effect are different than just being bad games, it's riddled with bugs, graphical errors to gameplay problems. The game was just plain rushed. Pretty much the same thing happened with Assassins Creed, with the no face npc lol.

Duke Nukem forever, Mighty No 9 and Star Fox Zero are basically finished games that weren't rushed, but the problem was design problems.
Plus to be fair with Duke Nukem, NONE of those games were ever good, it's just nostalgia reasons why people even cared about Forever, the game was doomed to fail cause NOBODY had any type of faith in the project, which is why it kept getting delayed and then finished by another studio who basically just got shoved into finishing it.

Star Fox Zero would have been just fine and we probably would have all loved it or at least thought it was ok..... if not for those controls! GAHHHHHHHH they incite rage within me!

Hagane
05-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Duke Nukem forever

Yeah, I know. It was just a quick joke in.

From the very beginning there was zero faith on that eventual crash.

Star Fox Zero would have been just fine and we probably would have all loved it or at least thought it was ok..... if not for those controls! GAHHHHHHHH they incite rage within me!

Maybe we should incite to make an online petition for a switch port and the gameplay should be entirely on motion controls.

spider-prime
05-11-2017, 11:34 PM
They actually might tho, main reason Mario kart 8 got ported was cause it didn't sell what they were expecting on the wii u. So since it is selling well, they will probably port more wii u games.

Hagane
05-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Then again I was joking but now that this little jokes about "it couldn't be worse" do have a fair chance of turning real then it's worrifing.

Perhaps we should keep it at minimun.

spider-prime
05-12-2017, 12:22 AM
I'm hoping for a physical version of Fatal Frame 4 and 5 for the switch! IT BETTER COME! with fixed up controls!

Drunken Savior
05-12-2017, 01:34 AM
I don't think it would make a difference unless he decided to ditch motion controls.

Putting it on the Switch would have meant he'd have to ditch the whole "LOOK AT YOUR TABLET TO AIM" mechanic, which was really fucking terrible.

I'm hoping for a physical version of Fatal Frame 4 and 5 for the switch! IT BETTER COME! with fixed up controls!

Man, trying that Fatal Frame demo on the Wii U completely deflated my hype for it. And that sucked too, because I was so hyped for it. The idea sounded really cool too...but the execution of it was bad.

Hagane
05-12-2017, 01:42 AM

That sounds good but what you'll probably get is a port of Spirit Camera for the switch in djgital release and after it bombs then the franchise is as good as dead if it isn't now.

Escaflowne2001
05-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Don't worry, I believe Fatal Frame 5 was actually one of the best selling in the series in Japan. So there should be another one eventually.