PDA

View Full Version : Capcom says Resident Evil 7 recouped its development costs

Rubeus
02-17-2017, 02:12 AM
http://www.destructoid.com//ul/418961-REHeader.jpg

Capcom says Resident Evil 7 recouped its development costs

Resident Evil 7, an excellent game that's full of spooks and scares, surely has developer/publisher Capcom on pins and needles for different reasons. This installment is a significant departure from the classic take on Resident Evil, and that's quite the gamble when you consider that Capcom had to front a lot of money to create this game. Without the safety net of continuing narrative arcs and known protagonists, it's really only the franchise name that could guarantee some sales.

That gamble has seemingly paid off. As part of an investors Q&A session, Capcom revealed that Resident Evil 7 has recovered its development costs. The exact figure wasn't disclosed, but its 3 million units shipped has canceled out whatever it took to make the game.

But that isn't all that Capcom expects to squeeze out of Resident Evil 7. There's still a projection that it'll hit 4 million units shipped, as this is cited as an example of a game that has a "continuous long tail." Also, DLC sales will contribute to the overall revenue, even though the bulk of it will be generated from the base game.

However, this isn't to say that Resident Evil 7 is actually profitable yet. Capcom stopped short of saying that. Resident Evil 7 was anchored by a fairly significant marketing campaign, and we don't know if that has been offset. Still, sales appear to be right in line with projections at this point, so it doesn't seem like anyone is disappointed with its performance thus far.

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-says-resident-evil-7-recouped-its-development-costs-418961.phtml

Nem
02-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Well... it made me lose my interest in the series though.

I'm not interested at all in the type of game it became, nor am i interested in just forsaking years of favorite characters. It still doesn't feel like RE to me. It feels like a spin-off.

If they want to go with that, fine. But i'm sure i'm not the only series fan that feels alienated and i'm sure the potencial market for this kind of game isn't as big.
Quite honestly, it shipped 3m, wich is more than i expected. I doubt it will get to 4m cause looking at sell-through numbers retailers are fully stocked.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'm just deeply disappointed. I am hoping Remake 2 will put the series back in the right path. This one just steered too much in the opposite direction.

Drunken Savior
02-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Feels like RE to me, but I guess if you're used to the gameplay of Resident Evil 4 onwards, then I can see how this seems alien. Playing RE7 felt like I was scratching an itch that had been there since the series went all actiony in RE4 onwards. Tight corridors, item management, isolation, intelligent map design, actual tension....Resident Evil is back baby!

Wandering all around the Baker mansion felt like going through the Spencer mansion again for the first time. The whole area felt like a big puzzle, instead of what had been given to us in RE4, 5, and 6 where the maps were just mostly large corridors to go through and then never see again.

As for the characters, I think it's time for some new blood. I guess I don't hold them in the same reverence as Nem does, because there really isn't much character development in them. And Ethan in RE7 is pretty much Leon in RE2, nothing seems to surprise him that much (like Mama Baker). Jack Baker is probably the best RE character in years, both menacing, funny, and tragic. If you read his journals while scouring the Baker estate, it makes his last scene in the game all the more tragic. Though let's be fair, nothing in RE could be considered deep or well written, but at least RE7 went for a more grounded, personal approach compared to the throwaway, bombastic approached they've delivered in the last decade.

RE7 feels like it made the franchise not only relevant again, but revered. It's generally seen as the best game in the franchise in years. And while I think RE6 is still ahead of it in sales, I don't think it bothers Capcom much. People are actually excited about the franchise right now, and unless they deviate too far from 7, I expect people to be extremely hyped for 8. If 8 doesn't sell well, you might see the franchise go back to those silly games of 5 and 6. But at least I got two good games that harken to the series roots before it goes back to trying to imitate the crappy Hollywood movies in terms of action and 'horror.'

Already went through this game 4 times, getting ready for a 5th. Eager to try it on the Vive. Fantastic game. If it's not in my top 10 for 2017, then 2017 will be an amazing year for video games, possibly on par with 2015.

Escaflowne2001
02-20-2017, 06:07 AM
I haven't played it yet. Gonna hit it next week when I'm on holiday but it looks like a great game and the word of mouth has been brilliant so far. I don't think comparing it to sales of previous games mean much since most of the big series' are selling less nowadays. They just need to keep the series interesting and build up a fanbase again. Change isn't bad Resident Evil 4 was nothing like previous titles in the series but sill is one of the most loved.