PDA

View Full Version : You won't be able to upgrade the Nintendo Switch's battery

Rubeus
12-29-2016, 11:09 AM
I guess it is okay to use my cellphone powerbank to charge the Switch on the go -- really hope Nintendo stick with MicroUSB ports instead of inventing its own.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/2f89d1847188ccb2f20a613e0a506ba4/204485137/nintendo%252Bswitch.jpg

You won't be able to upgrade the Nintendo Switch's battery - According to a new FCC filing, Nintendo's next console won't have a removable battery.

Apart from the odd leak, we still don't know a lot about Nintendo's next game console. We know it has NVIDIA graphics. We know it can convert from a traditional TV set-up to a more portable one. Unfortunately, that's about where our verifiable knowledge ends -- or at least it did. A new filing at the FCC has added one more piece to the Switch puzzle: we now know that the device will probably ship with a non-removable battery.

This may sound like an insignificant detail, but it could make a difference for folks concerned about the console's battery life. When the Wii U gamepad was panned for dying too soon, Nintendo was able to release an easy to install high-capacity battery pack that boosted the runtime to 8 hours. That won't be possible with the Switch. Consumers will be stuck with however much battery life Nintendo's next game console has at launch.

Well, probably. Technically, the FCC reviewed a production prototype designed to be equivalent to a mass-produced model, but it's possible that Nintendo could tweak the final product to include a removable battery. We wouldn't count on it though: the Switch's tablet-like design doesn't leave a lot of room for user serviceability -- and it probably doesn't have the extra room to accommodate a larger battery than it ships with. Either way, this news isn't much of a surprise, but it is nice to learn something new about the Switch ahead of Nintendo's upcoming preview tour. Want to dig for more news? Check out the official FCC filing at this source link (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=%2BDOxvkKDs6Sdzbtr9usfyA%3D%3D&fcc_id=BKEHAC001).

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/27/you-wont-be-able-to-upgrade-the-nintendo-switchs-battery/

spider-prime
12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
If you can't change it, it's probably cause there isn't room anyways for a bigger battery.
Or cause they don't want you opening it up and messing with it
and another cause when it breaks, they will probably want you to send it to them directly to repair/replace it, so they can make more money from repairs.

But we will see if we really can't change the battery ourselves when it comes out.

Rubeus
12-29-2016, 04:11 PM
I am okay if it is using MicroUSB ports, it would be a pain in the a$$ if they keep using their own propriety port and chargers.

Joe Redifer
12-29-2016, 04:58 PM
If the battery is dead, will it still play connected to a TV. This is something that I rarely if ever plan to use in portable mode. Maybe once just to try it out.

BlindMaphisto
12-29-2016, 05:38 PM
If the battery is dead, will it still play connected to a TV. This is something that I rarely if ever plan to use in portable mode. Maybe once just to try it out.

The stand is the charger too from what I understand so it should play off the ac and charge at the same time.

spider-prime
12-29-2016, 07:07 PM
The stand is the charger too from what I understand so it should play off the ac and charge at the same time.

I don't think he means about the charger, more of if the battery is completely dead, will the system still work if it's on the dock or will it need a new battery that Nintendo will make you buy for 200 dollars when you send it off to be replaced.

BlindMaphisto
12-29-2016, 08:11 PM
I don't think he means about the charger, more of if the battery is completely dead, will the system still work if it's on the dock or will it need a new battery that Nintendo will make you buy for 200 dollars when you send it off to be replaced.

If it will play and charge at the same time like pretty much every other device (though I wouldn't put anything past nintendo) then it should play when on ac even if the battery is a gonner. I would be genuinely shocked if this was not the case.

Joe Redifer
12-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah I dunno... iPhones for example won't power up when connected to AC until the battery has sufficient charge.

spider-prime
12-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Hopefully it can work without the battery or at least while it's dead and can never work again will still work on the dock or plugged in.

But... like Joe said about the iPhone, it might not work still cause they rather you either send away for a new battery, which costs more than you think, Nintendo asks for 150 dollars to replace the 3D slider that broke on the 3ds, I dropped my 3ds and it landed on the slider, luckily the 3d is turned off so it just means I can't turn on 3D again. Big whoop lol
The other option I can see them doing is... release a new Switch system every year or so :(
I don't know why, I can see this happening with slight upgrades. Maybe Nintendo wants to adopt what makes Apple so much money.