PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Switch, coming March 2017

Drunken Savior
10-20-2016, 10:32 AM
f5uik5fgIaI

In case the video above fails to play, here's the direct link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI).

Looks to be a tablet that you can dock at home to play on a television (dock houses the cables). You can play using either a "Wii U Pro Controller" (it looks similar) or using Nintendo's new detachable controller that consists of a left and a right side that hooks into a centerpiece.

You can use the left and right pieces and hook that to the sides of the tablet and play it as a portable (think of the Wii U tablet).

You can also remove the left and right pieces and use them remotely with the tablet (it has a kickstand that looks similar to most cellphone case kickstands).

The left and the right pieces can also be used for as a set of controllers for split screen games on the tablet.

Looks to use cartridges.

I think it looks pretty cool and I've always harped that Nintendo should just make a beefy portable that can be easily hooked up to a TV.

So here's my question guys: MSRP....Over or under $299.99 at launch (March 2017)?

http://imgur.com/GciIBJ6.jpg
http://imgur.com/fFAq6Th.jpg
http://imgur.com/h81P4rr.jpg
http://imgur.com/20dT8rL.jpg
http://imgur.com/Gnp66S6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iH3PRoI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/70AHIoi.jpg

Einhander
10-20-2016, 11:27 AM
I just want to know if it's region free like the rumours have suggested.

Ernst
10-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Exciting!

Sinful Sam
10-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Pretty good presentation. Looking forward to more details.

Hagane
10-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Regained some faith after not seeing some gimmicky way of playing this and the fact that it's portable makes it kinda cool.

Now let's see if they can come up with an interesting line up.

spider-prime
10-20-2016, 05:36 PM
If rumors are true and it's near as powerful as the PS4, I will be really surprised.

But, it makes me wonder about the controllers, I know it's supposed to do away with the Wii stuff with this console. But the way the controllers come apart and can be played like that makes me think of the wii and nunchuck remotes. So while they may be getting rid of wii accessories and stuff and disc based games won't play on it but makes me wonder if you can buy them through the eshop again to play wii u and wii games.

I can't see them getting rid of gyros and touch screen for some reason. But I guess we will see.

Drunken Savior
10-20-2016, 08:18 PM
If rumors are true and it's near as powerful as the PS4, I will be really surprised.

I had a hard time pinning down an 'estimate' of how powerful it was at first too. But I'm pretty sure they were playing the new Remastered Skyrim game on it, so we can easily compare the performances between the two when the Switch releases.

Joe Redifer
10-20-2016, 08:50 PM
I wonder why the D-pad has been turned into a series of buttons. That doesn't look comfortable.

But the best thing about this is that it's doing something PCs aren't. I guess. It will probably be about as powerful as an Xbox 360, like the Wii U. Maybe 1k more RAM.

Hagane
10-20-2016, 09:26 PM
I wonder why the D-pad has been turned into a series of buttons. That doesn't look comfortable.

Of course it won't that's why the pro controller comes into the video and the ones that would need most a decent d-pad are fighting games and it most likely they'll be nonexistencial in a nintendo console.

The video didn't show it but if the portable screen turns out to be touch then it just confirms they put a good use of all those unsold wii u pads.

Reality
10-21-2016, 01:38 AM
I am interested but I can't help but notice Nintendo created a PSPvita with PS TV capabilities..

So the real questions for me are things like...
How is the interface
What is battery life
Is the screen heavy
Does it run hot

Drunken Savior
10-21-2016, 01:47 AM
Does it run hot

Good news, it's using nvidia components, not AMD! :smile2:

spider-prime
10-21-2016, 01:57 AM

But the best thing about this is that it's doing something PCs aren't. I guess. It will probably be about as powerful as an Xbox 360, like the Wii U. Maybe 1k more RAM.

both attachments are basically the same, when put sideways so 2 people can use them for 2 player games.

Like the wii remote but with analogs instead of the d pad.

Rubeus
10-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Hope those attachable parts are durable, otherwise you will have to keep buying them.
One complaint though, where is the cross shape d-pad that is in every single Nintendo controller in the past??

bujeezus
10-21-2016, 10:37 AM
I do have somewhat higher hopes for this than the Wii-U. Being able to play on the couch and not hog the tv is a major plus.

spider-prime
10-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Hope those attachable parts are durable, otherwise you will have to keep buying them.
One complaint though, where is the cross shape d-pad that is in every single Nintendo controller in the past??

Still there, just not on the main controller attachments. The buttons are still the sort of D pad when games use them, but you will have to get the Pro Controller to get a traditional D pad.

Would be cool if they actually bundled the pro controller with it, but we all know they won't.

I would love a bundle with a game and the pro controller.

I would also love a disc drive add on that lets us play our Wii U and Wii Games on it still. but I doubt that will happen also.

spider-prime
10-21-2016, 10:10 PM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/nintendo-switch-will-support-unreal-engine-4

Unreal 4 works on the switch, which is good news, means it can run modern games and not just ports of older games.

and the Nvidia graphics chip inside it is based around the Tegra GPU that is on tablets.

Joe Redifer
10-21-2016, 11:50 PM
PS4 can't even do Unreal 4 can it?

Drunken Savior
10-22-2016, 12:40 AM
PS4 can't even do Unreal 4 can it?

Yeah, it can. The FFVII remake is using UE4.

Escaflowne2001
10-22-2016, 03:02 AM
I'm pretty positive about it really and at least 90% of Nintendo's output will be focused on one device rather then split between the two. If it sells well there is no reason why the device shouldn't get decent third-party support either since it is overtaking the 3DS market which still has good legs.

Joe Redifer
10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
That is a good point. The focus will be on a single device.

spider-prime
10-22-2016, 07:47 PM
according to Nintendo, they keep saying that it won't replace the 3DS, but I think they do want to get rid of the 3DS if the Switch does indeed sell well.

I can see it working cause I love handhelds, I buy all of them, I bought the Sega Nomad just to play all my genesis games everywhere and I bought the converter for the Game Gear just to play the master system games anywhere.

Same with the Atari Lynx, I actually really enjoyed that handheld... despite being confusing on the design. Good times playing Xenomorph all the time on that.

and I actually want this to play on the go when I take trips. So I'm hoping that bigger battery can be bought when it comes out, wii u had one, so hopefully the switch does too.

and a way to charge it without the docking station.

Rubeus
10-22-2016, 11:45 PM
3DS is still Nintendo's largest platform, they can't abandon it for at least the next 2 years.

Drunken Savior
10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
according to Nintendo, they keep saying that it won't replace the 3DS, but I think they do want to get rid of the 3DS if the Switch does indeed sell well.

Did they say the same thing about the 3DS in regards to the DS? Or was that the DS regarding the Game Boy? Anyways, they don't want people to stop supporting the 3DS until it naturally dies, so they aren't going to publicly say it's being replaced.

Rubeus
10-23-2016, 01:52 AM
There are rumors about the SWITCH specs, it seems to be using nVidia Tegra Parker processor, Pascal Cores X 256, running at 1465 MHz, with about 750 GFlops.

In terms of performance, it is estimated 2X of Wii U but only around 60% performance of Xbox One, and 40% of PS4.

See this comparison:

Nintendo 3DS - 4.8 GFlops
Nintendo Wii U - 352 GFlops
Nintendo Switch - 750 GFlops
Xbox One - 1311.5 GFlops
PS4 - 1840 GFlops
PS4 Pro - 4200 GFlops
PS Vita - 51.2 GFlops

Rubeus
10-23-2016, 02:05 AM
Also, there was an Android tablet from last year, which looks very similar to Nintendo Switch, who's copying who?

gHq1UhANRjc

spider-prime
10-23-2016, 04:57 PM
There are rumors about the SWITCH specs, it seems to be using nVidia Tegra Parker processor, Pascal Cores X 256, running at 1465 MHz, with about 750 GFlops.

In terms of performance, it is estimated 2X of Wii U but only around 60% performance of Xbox One, and 40% of PS4.

See this comparison:

Nintendo 3DS - 4.8 GFlops
Nintendo Wii U - 352 GFlops
Nintendo Switch - 750 GFlops
Xbox One - 1311.5 GFlops
PS4 - 1840 GFlops
PS4 Pro - 4200 GFlops
PS Vita - 51.2 GFlops

That is pretty impressive considering the size of it. But I don't know, Nintendo could make a docking station that works like Dell's External GPU add ons. Where it makes it more powerful while it's docked into it. Watch, the docking station we get now is nothing but to charge it and plug it back into the TV and then we will get a more powerful docking station with the added GPU/CPU.

http://static.anygator.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static-anygator2/thumbs/au/24/24fc408f909ce1be4b5cfdb719fe8fdc41156ae5/big.jpg

Other companies make similar products with external GPUs. I have a X51 alienware that I got for my birthday and I plan on getting one of these when my Geforce 960 gets really outdated.

Did they say the same thing about the 3DS in regards to the DS? Or was that the DS regarding the Game Boy? Anyways, they don't want people to stop supporting the 3DS until it naturally dies, so they aren't going to publicly say it's being replaced.

To the DS to the Gameboy brand.

and for the design, there were lots of tablets with controllers attached to them.

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/7373/rzr_edge_ctrlwtab_v01a.png

While Nintendo's isn't original, but being a home console that you can take anywhere is. But I bet someone will sue Nintendo over this lol

Joe Redifer
10-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Nintendo should sue THEM. Linear time has no bearing on this. Nintendo is always right.

spider-prime
10-23-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm just hoping that the SSD memory for downloadables isn't 32GBs :P

hopefully they put in at least 100 GBs.

Tickletot
10-23-2016, 09:38 PM
I find this seriously innovative, Nintendo has always focused on giving users the free will the play the way they want and they took that into concideration with this console and made multiple ways to play it.

Who else but Nintendo? :)

Rubeus
10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
I think the Switch should really support external hard drives or microsd cards, just like the Android TVs.

spider-prime
10-24-2016, 02:14 PM
I think the Switch should really support external hard drives or microsd cards, just like the Android TVs.

The Wii U does. So hopefully Switch does too.