PDA

View Full Version : Japan is getting its own retro Nintendo system with the Mini Famicom

Rubeus
09-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Why wouldn't you get this instead?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2Bi1cX31QL._SL1000_.jpg

3GQ02nXQQiM

Japan is getting its own retro Nintendo system with the Mini Famicom

Game list slightly different than ours

The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is sure to be one of the top gifts you'll find under Christmas trees this December. With 30 all-time classics built-in, pre-orders for the device have virtually sold out worldwide. When I first saw it I was excited and wanted one desperately. Now, I think I kind of want this Mini Famicom instead.

Announced today, Nintendo will be releasing the Nintendo Classic Mini Family Computer later this fall. Featuring a miniaturized design modeled after the original Famicom, I imagine this too will be a hot buy for our friends across the Pacific.

The Mini Famicom will include 30 games just like the Mini NES, but its list of featured titles is slightly different. Included with the system are:

- Donkey Kong
- Mario Bros.
- Pac-Man
- Excitebike
- Balloon Fight
- Ice Climber
- Galaga
- Yie Ar Kung-Fu*
- Super Mario Bros.
- The Legend of Zelda
- Atlantis no Nazo*
- Gradius
- Ghosts ‘n Goblins
- Solomon’s Key*
- Metroid
- Castlevania
- Zelda II: Adventure of Link
- Tsuppari Oozumou*
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Ninja Gaiden
- Mega Man 2
- River City Ransom*
- Double Dragon II
- Super Contra
- Final Fantasy III*
- Dr. Mario
- Downtown Nekketsu March: Let’s Go to the Great Athletic Meet*
- NES Open Tournament Golf*
- Super Mario USA (aka Super Mario Bros. 2)
- Kirby’s Adventure

Titles with an asterisk at the end are exclusive to the Mini Famicom system. Games that will be in the NA/EU version but not on the Famicom are Donkey Kong Jr., Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Final Fantasy, StarTropics, Punch Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream, Tecmo Bowl, Bubble Bobble, and Kid Icarus.

The Mini Famicom will launch November 10 for just under 6,000 yen. An AC adapter will go on sale separately the same day for another 1,000 yen.

https://www.destructoid.com/japan-is-getting-its-own-retro-nintendo-system-with-the-mini-famicom-390090.phtml

Rubeus
09-30-2016, 10:26 PM
In related news, the Mini-NES is coming around the same time and some neat features.

Some Good News And Bad News About The Mini-NES

Most NES games do not hold up very well, but that won’t stop me from getting excited over the Mini-NES, a palm-sized device from Nintendo that gives you 30 classic games for $60. Today’s news: It’ll come with save states, digital manuals, and a selection of graphical settings.

In a press release (and new trailer) this morning, Nintendo said that the sleek new system will let you maintain up to four different suspend points for each game. You’ll also be able to see the original NES manuals by scanning QR codes that appear on your screen. And each game will be playable in three display modes: CRT filter (which adds a scan-line effect), 4:3 (which maintains the original aspect ratio), and Pixel Perfect (which turns every pixel into a perfect square).

The bad news? Bob Mackey over at USGamer got hands-on time with the system, and he has two nitpicks that will likely be very, very annoying: 1) the controllers are wired, and the wires are very short; and 2) in order to use save states or switch games, you have to hit the Reset button on the console. There’s no “home” button functionality on the controller.

http://kotaku.com/some-good-news-and-bad-news-about-the-mini-nes-1787278446

62bI0zItF6g

spider-prime
09-30-2016, 10:40 PM
ooo I'm going to get that famicom mini too!

Rubeus
09-30-2016, 11:28 PM
Rasberry Pi is a good alternative

spider-prime
10-01-2016, 02:26 AM
I want it for collection. Obviously I don't need any of them, I own all the games that are on the NES mini's list for the NES.

Joe Redifer
10-01-2016, 07:05 PM
OMHG OOOOOOOOO ggonna have 2 get one as well omg famicom OMG FAMICON NITNIHTDO must have!!! Just kidding I don't care.

spider-prime
10-02-2016, 02:32 AM
hf5FRPfGiC8

spider-prime
10-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Rasberry Pi is a good alternative

I'm going to do this veryyyyyy soon now. Thanks for the suggestion once I started looking up what you can do with it and get some DIY kits for arcade cabinets. I'm doing this right now.

So once I order a raspberry pi, and can get it to easily work with the roms and emulators. I'm going to order the cabinet.

Oooo can't wait, going to order a bartop cabinet kit. I got the perfect spot for one with the best height for standing up and playing or sitting down.

mostly want it for MAME and running arcade games.

https://www.amazon.ca/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01CCF6V3A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A34IVHW5OUAV7P

Going to order this one.