PDA

View Full Version : All first-party Microsoft games will run at native 4K on the Scorpio

Rubeus
09-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Let see if M$ can keep their words, I am kind of wonder what would be the price of the console? Would it be like $599 or more?

All first-party Microsoft games will run at native 4K on the Scorpio

I'm kind of getting tired of hearing about 4K resolution, but it looks like the Xbox Scorpio will be rendering games natively in the new format. Shannon Loftis, publishing manager for Microsoft Studios, mentioned to USA Today, "any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K."

That is kind of exciting, but that makes me wonder about the price of this new console. To even run games smoothly at 4K on PC, you either need to SLI some video cards or get Nvidia's Tixan X, a card that costs $1,200. Is the Scorpio going to end up costing multiple thousands?

To be fair, Microsoft has claimed the Xbox Scorpio will be a "premium" device and not a replacement for the current Xbox One. I don't see why anyone, moving forward, would opt for outdated architecture, but the joy of gaming should outweigh any technological limitations.

The only way I see the PS4 Pro making any kind of splash in the market is due to the Scorpio not releasing until sometime next year. Gamers with extra money to burn are going to want something now instead of waiting on a wish and a prayer.

https://www.destructoid.com/all-first-party-microsoft-games-will-run-at-native-4k-on-the-scorpio-387879.phtml

Drunken Savior
09-20-2016, 03:43 AM
To even run games smoothly at 4K on PC, you either need to SLI some video cards or get Nvidia's Tixan X, a card that costs $1,200. Is the Scorpio going to end up costing multiple thousands?

This is such a bullshit article. Nvidia's Titan line is a GPU that is ridiculously priced because it's moreso for workstation PC's that utilize CUDA (e.g. video rendering and editing) than gaming. The price-to-performance ration from the Titan line, down to the next-best GTX card, a card actually designed for primarily gaming, is staggering. Last year I bought myself a 980Ti for $650 and the Titan X (there are actually TWO Titan X cards, one launched in 2015, one launched this year), cost $999. You know how many more frames per second you get with a $999 Titan X over a $650 980 Ti in Grand Theft Auto V at 4k? 0.8. I'm not fucking kidding (http://i.imgur.com/6SFqpey.png).

Secondly, there are far cheaper cards that can run a modern game (in this case, Rise of the Tomb Raider) at 4k/~30fps, which is really what you should expect from the Scorpio. Consoles have always aimed at 30fps, except in rare instances. AMD (who makes all the GPUs for modern consoles nowadays), has the Fury X card (which is now over a year old), which runs around $400 and can run Rise of the Tomb Raider at native 4k at around 32fps (http://i.imgur.com/m5PR6TZ.png). This is what you should be basing your 'Scorpio MSRP" speculation off of, not the fucking Titan X, you pancake.

Peter Glagowski doesn't know shit about PC hardware.

Now if Microsoft is aiming at making good looking games at 4k running at 60fps...then yeah...Scorpio is going to cost closer to a thousand dollars. And then Microsoft is fucking crazy.

If PS4 Pro is upscaling to 4k and they price it at $400, and the Scorpio will do native 4k...I'm guessing it'll be $500-$700. An enthusiast device for sure, but not "multiple thousands."

Rubeus
09-20-2016, 12:30 PM
But the thing is Microsoft is planning to do something Sony cannot replicate, so there is a chance that Scorpio is actually a Windows 10 PC that can run Xbox One games as well. If it is a gaming PC, $1000 price tag is somehow reasonable.

Drunken Savior
09-20-2016, 02:04 PM
But the thing is Microsoft is planning to do something Sony cannot replicate, so there is a chance that Scorpio is actually a Windows 10 PC that can run Xbox One games as well. If it is a gaming PC, $1000 price tag is somehow reasonable.

I guess there's a chance? In a kind of metaphysics kind of way. But asking consumers to pay $1000+ for a gaming PC when you can build one for almost half that is a pretty stupid strategy when a lot of those people won't even use that extra horsepower that a legitimate gaming PC would provide over a console.

Also Sony can't replicate native 4k at 30fps because they were too chickenshit to do so with the PS4 Pro. Maybe it's PTSD from the initial PS3 MSRP backlash, I donno.

And again, like I said, this guy is speculating the price of the Scorpio off a poor knowledge of PC parts as well as price-to-performance ratios in the gaming PC market. Additionally, he's completely ignoring the fact that a console (even one designed to be like a gaming PC) wouldn't be using off-the-shelf products and ESPECIALLY not pay MSRP for them.

Joe Redifer
09-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Consoles have always aimed at 30fps, except in rare instances.

Nitpick time!!!! Before the 32-bit generation (the generation that started all the polygon stuffs) it was more rare to find a console game that ran below 60fps. But then polygons came around, games became things that you could no longer pickup and play and instead because time vampires, you play through a game only once and budgets skyrocketed.

SavedFromSin
09-20-2016, 09:25 PM
I love that all you PC people are calling BS on Sony and Microsofts claims.

Drunken Savior
09-21-2016, 03:01 AM
I love that all you PC people are calling BS on Sony and Microsofts claims.

Oh I believe Microsoft when they say that their games will have a native resolution of 4k. I just know that they are candid about frame rate for a reason.

I'm calling BS on the author of the article because he has a very limited knowledge of consumer GPUs in terms of power and price.