PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Scorpio to Bring an End to Console Generations, Says Microsoft

Rubeus
08-17-2016, 11:10 PM
So both Sony and Microsoft are doing it already.

Gamescom 2016: Xbox Scorpio to Bring an End to Console Generations, Says Microsoft - Iterative hardware is the future.

Microsoft believes we've seen the end of console generations, as the company plans to iterate on the Xbox platform going forward.

In an interview with Engadget at Gamescom 2016, Xbox games marketing head Aaron Greenberg said Microsoft thinks "the future is without console generations," highlighting the fact that iterative hardware allows the Xbox platform to continue to build upon its established community and growing library of games.

Microsoft's upcoming console, codenamed Project Scorpio, is the first major step in this direction, which Greenberg noted is "a pretty big bet" for the company. He emphasized that Scorpio's launch isn't the start of a new console generation, as "everything you have continues forward and it works." Instead Scorpio will serve as a new entry in "a family of devices."

That said, Greenberg noted the company is going to use this as a learning experience and see how this approach pans out. Based on the reception to Scorpio thus far, Microsoft believes it will "be a pretty big success" and could very well "change the way we think about the future of console gaming."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/08/17/gamescom-2016-xbox-scorpio-to-bring-an-end-to-console-generations-says-microsoft

Drunken Savior
08-18-2016, 09:54 AM
A little misleading.

According to this, generations will still exist, but it won't be a hard line like former generations. It'll be more like PC gaming, where we have hardware minimums, but no real distinct line for generations. We handle it by basically comparing our current hardware (usually just CPU, GPU, and Memory) to what the developers say is the minimum. How consoles will do that is up in the air, perhaps just a note that says 'Compatible with Xbox Scorpio or better'?

One thing of note is this line:

iterative hardware allows the Xbox platform to continue to build upon its established community and growing library of games

This was something I speculated when it was announced that both the PS4 and Xbox One using the same APUs as current PC gamers. Switching APUs each generation (last year Sony used Cell processing) was a big roadblock to playing older PS3 games on the PS4 natively. So hopefully this means that, going forward, you can always play older games on newer hardware without restrictions, as we do with most PC games now.

Joe Redifer
08-19-2016, 03:28 PM
This means they'll likely need to stay with the same family of CPUs and GPUs to retain compatibility. Where does backwards compatibility end? With console generations, this wasn't a concern. You could use whatever CPU ya wanted.

Drunken Savior
08-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Not necessarily, if they still use the same APU, which they probably will. It's not like we have games that only run on nvidia gpus and games that run on only amd gpus.

Joe Redifer
08-22-2016, 04:22 AM
For PCs, AMD and Intel have the same language as far as I understand. So as long as they stay with the same language they'll be OK. It made things hard when Microsoft went from Intel to PowerPC or whatever it is that they did which made it REALLY HARD to run old Xbox games on the newer console. I have no idea what the Xbone uses.

Drunken Savior
08-22-2016, 05:49 PM
They both use the same AMD APU, part of the "Jaguar" family. (http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/453638-everything-you-need-know-about-apus-next-gen-consoles/) The biggest differences (Pre Scorpio) were that a) the PS4 used unified memory between the CPU and GPU and Microsoft didn't and, b) the clock on the PS4's CPU was a bit higher than the Xbox One's.

Nem
08-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Well... the market will decide wether they want that. MS/Sony can say what they want but the dough is what lays the law. If people don't buy these upgrades in mass, we will continue having gens.

I also remember MS saying they knew alot about the future in that X1 reveal.

Consoles aren't phones. They have no function by themselves. I really doubt people are willing to upgrade every 2 years to play a game, especially with how long the development cycles are.

BlindMaphisto
08-26-2016, 08:33 AM
I agree. I think four years is probably the fastest they could get away with.