PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Squad Is Chaotic, Manic, and a Total Mess

Rubeus
08-03-2016, 01:22 AM
Ok one less movie I need to watch in theaters.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--jfjsSuHZ--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/rmcadkqqd5dnaqyreeem.jpg

Movie Review: Suicide Squad Is Chaotic, Manic, and a Total Mess

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--0j6WhpLW--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/pepynczxsogzr3uny5kv.jpg

Suicide Squad is a weird movie, and not just because it’s about a motley crew of supervillains set in the DC universe. The movie itself is also a motley amalgamation—a strange blend of different tones, stories, and pacing all mashed into something that has cool individual elements, but never really comes together.

Written and directed by David Ayer, Suicide Squad follows Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) as she puts together a team of villains to help on a dangerous mission. It sounds like a simple premise, but from a pure story standpoint, it’s exactly the opposite. Imagine if The Avengers had been made before any of the other Marvel movies—it would have to introduce Iron Man, Thor, all of them individually.

The same is true here. So before it can do anything else, Suicide Squad has to introduce about a dozen new characters and make you care about them. The first third of the film is nothing but set-up—there’s origin stories, table setting, villain introductions, and more. Surprisingly, all this, while excessive, is actually quite promising. It’s disjointed for sure, and things get a bit monotonous because the story isn’t really advancing, but there’s a certain energy to much of it. With this much set-up, you definitely want to see what’s next.

Unfortunately, once the assembled team begins their mission, that’s where Suicide Squad starts to go off the rails. The goal of the Squad’s mission is incredibly ambiguous, gets even murkier as the narrative unfolds, and then falls apart once all is revealed at the end. Plus, the at least partially cohesive tone of the first act of the film segues into a second act that’s radically different in tone, and more of a war movie than anything else. Characters spend a good 20-30 minutes walking around just getting into gun fights. If Suicide Squad were merely an action movie, this would be exciting, but these characters are villains, some of whom have superpowers. Merely seeing them shoot guns at things isn’t that exciting.

In a way, the film mirrors the actual Squad itself—a bunch of interesting parts that would often work better alone than together. For instance, the main character of the film is Will Smith’s Deadshot; he’s the first person we meet and the character who gets the most backstory. It’s a strong story too, but it’s also so prevalent compared to almost every other character, at times the film feels like it should be called “Deadshot plus Six” instead of “Suicide Squad.”

The second biggest role goes to Harley Quinn, played by Margot Robbie, who’s actually the exception that proves the rule. Thanks in part to Robbie’s memorable performance, she’s flighty, she’s unpredictable and when she’s having fun, so is the audience. She adds to every scene she’s in, and when she’s on screen, Suicide Squad is at its best. But she also brings the Joker with her, and he brings his own problem. He’s such an iconic, important villain, and yet he’s an afterthought in the film. There’s no big, meaty, iconic Joker scene for us to marvel at. His occasional appearances detract from the smaller characters the movie is actually about, to the point you almost wish he wasn’t in the movie at all.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--JyAGMeFw--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/zypoqkpkxgf49wuhnldz.jpg

In terms of the Squad, Diablo (Jay Hernandez) gets probably the next most screen time, with Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney) and Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) after that. But compared to Deadshot and Harley, they’re all supporting characters. The result is that whenever they’re around, things are very hit or miss: if they do or say something that advances the story, it works, but if they’re just standing there—which happens in a lot of the movie—you don’t care about them. Almost any of these characters could completely disappear and it wouldn’t matter in the slightest.

And then there’s the Enchantress. Played by Cara Delevingne, she’s also major presence in the film and one of the main villains. However, her storyline is criminally underwritten, which becomes a huge problem in act three, when it’s basically all about her. The movie completely ignores her most of the time; so when it suddenly pivots to bring her to the forefront, it’s too late for there to be any meaningful stakes or drama.

In an attempt to keep all these moving parts afloat, Ayer uses a copious amount of pop songs in Suicide Squad. Too many pop songs, if we’re being honest. From the Animals and Kanye West, to Eminem and the White Stripes, these songs are certainly nice to hear, but in almost every single case they’ve obviously been picked for very literal reasons. For example “Seven Nation Army” is played when the team comes together as an army. “Come Baby Come” by K7 is played almost solely so the line “Swing batter batter batter batter swing” can play in a key moment. By themselves, each song is enjoyable, but together they just clash with each other.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--anGbbJhV--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/i6toyymn4t2zxeqgtmwy.jpg

In that sense, the music ends up being almost the perfect microcosm of the film—the pieces are good, but together they somehow end up making something less than the sum of their parts. Some of the action is fun, some of the characters are great, and it does reach some nice emotional peaks. But it never feels like a true, cohesive movie. It feels a B-movie—an action-packed one, but a B-movie nonethelesses—that just happens to be set in the DC Universe. It’s as if Ayer had too many balls to juggle and when they all came tumbling down he said, “Well that’s still kind of cool.” Cool? Maybe. That doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/movie-review-suicide-squad-is-as-messy-and-weird-as-th-1784666704

Reality
08-03-2016, 02:07 AM
In related news I just watched "The Killing Joke". It was, okay. Not good or great. Just Okay. I don't think I'll keep it.

Nem
08-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Well... people said BvS was terrible aswell, and it was serviceable.

You know, the problem is people think WB is gonna do Marvel quality stuff. That isn't going to happen easily. But i do want them to keep on going because i think the movies are entertaining.

Not every movie needs to be an oscar winner.

FinalSolace2
08-03-2016, 07:31 PM
So they ruined two movies- including Independence day resurgence- but fild studios still made more money

spider-prime
08-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Most of the marvel movies suck balls and I'm a huge marvel fan.

every character is trying to be like Spider-man, telling jokes and one liners........ and then in Civil war, they said Spider-man talks too much...... wtf.

Drunken Savior
08-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Well that sucks. I thought BvS got rightly panned, but I was hoping Suicide Squad would be at least get 70%+ of the critics to like it. I'll still see it though, I tend to go see all Marvel/DC movies.

For the record, I though Civil War was kinda meh. No real impact going forward in the MCU. I mean, we know that this 'new status quo' won't stand because we have upcoming Avengers movies on the horizon. Still better than Avengers 2 though.

spider-prime
08-05-2016, 06:00 PM
just got back from seeing Suicide Squad, it was great. Really enjoyed it.

Butttttttttt, you can easily tell the studio interference and you can tell there are lots of scenes cut from the movie.

Like trying to add songs that try to make the movie seem more like the trailers. You can tell they cut out lots of joker parts from it.

They made the theater cut more fast pace, once it started up, it kept going and didn't stop.

With that being said, I can't wait for it to come out on bluray and having a "director's cut" like they did Batman vs Superman.
Also, DS, you will love the one scene with Harley and Joker, looks like it was right out of a Alex Ross artworks of them! exactly!

Well that sucks. I thought BvS got rightly panned, but I was hoping Suicide Squad would be at least get 70%+ of the critics to like it. I'll still see it though, I tend to go see all Marvel/DC movies.

For the record, I though Civil War was kinda meh. No real impact going forward in the MCU. I mean, we know that this 'new status quo' won't stand because we have upcoming Avengers movies on the horizon. Still better than Avengers 2 though.

Best part of Civil war for me was Black Panther, he was spot on from the comics, made me excited for his movie.
Hawkeye: Hey we haven't met, My name's Clint
Black Panther: I don't care.

Spot on line from him.

The marvel movies haven't gotten a villain right yet. It's extremely sad for me. For some strange reason... they seem to think they need to make the villains more human in nature when they are supposed to be fucking evil people!

Like they fucked up Baron Zemo in Civil War. ughhhhhh.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Captain-America-Civil-War-Baron-Zemo-concept-art-600x854.jpg

He was going to look similar to the comics, but nooooooooooo, we got the pansy Zemo who just wanted to blame the avengers for his family's death.

it sucks in the original Spider-man movie, we were going to get the comic version of Green Goblin, but they changed it at the last minute to be a helmet...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2fXAGC_B2Ys/maxresdefault.jpg

QEZBhL5lpqg

Look at it! It's fucking awesome! WHYYYYYYYYY didn't they use this?

SavedFromSin
08-05-2016, 11:33 PM
that mask is awesome. but what duh hail is up with the music.

Drunken Savior
08-06-2016, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I loved the Black Panther in CW. I mean, the heroes are all so good that I don't really care what they are doing, it's entertaining to watch them just interact.

And honestly, I didn't know who Zemo was, I totally thought that he was going to be Red Skull in the end and that Marvel pulled a fast one and kept it a secret throughout development. I was getting really excited.

I should be seeing Suicide Squad sometime this week, hopefully. I'm glad to hear that audiences like it, but I find it odd that there is this big of a gap between critics and the populace.

spider-prime
08-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Well apparently people believe that Marvel has been paying reviewers to give bad reviews. Starting with Batman vs Superman.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/batman-v-superman-negative-reviews-paid-conspiracy/

I think the worse part of this is that fans follow reviews like they are the holy grail or some shit, people haven't even seen the movie yet and they are already bad mouthing it thinking it sucks or that they won't like it.
They never leave their own judgement to when they see it.
But again, I see it being the stupid fanboys being, only Marvel can do better than DC and DC must FAILLLLLLLLLLL at all costs.

e-jeW5hW2mY This is the Zemo I wanted :(

But the reason I think Zemo was "good and not super evil" in the movie is that they might still use that costume and he will be leading the Thunderbolts, which is Marvel's villain good guy team.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UkUGI_gxWAY/UXEmfzIPB7I/AAAAAAAABzE/z-ZVOZTq3M4/s1600/Thunderboltstrue.png
http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/thunderbolts-105-cover-baron-zemo-vs-captain-america-civil-war-review-marvel-comics.jpg

Cause the general guy in Civil War is Thunderbolt Ross, from the Hulk, he is the Red Hulk now and he makes his own team of Thunderbolts. So I was hoping they would end of the movie with him recruiting Zemo for his team.

http://dontforgetatowel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Marvel-NOW-Thunderbolts-1-cover.jpg

Marvel likes to disappoint me lately :(

Einhander
08-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Totally off topic, but enjoy this!

yCF8JU30gXI

I'm going to see Suicide Squad on Monday. I hope I enjoy it.

spider-prime
08-06-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm more excited to see a director's cut now. Just cause we do know the studio messed with the theater cut.

The studio apparently wanted to make the movie feel more like a music video than a movie lol

Einhander
08-08-2016, 02:45 AM
Thought it wasn't bad. There's a kernel of a good movie in it. The second half is better than the first, and I liked the villain. It was a better Ghostbusters movie than the Ghostbusters remake.

spider-prime
08-08-2016, 01:48 PM
That's cause the 2nd half is more of the director's and not the studios cut. lol

Jared Leto said that there is enough Joker footage cut from the movie that can fill a entire movie. So again, I can't wait to see the director's cut.

Cause you can tell it was cut to make it more fast paced for one.

Einhander
08-09-2016, 03:40 AM
Yeah, the whole first third is a gigantic movie video.

I'd really like to see a director's cut.

Reality
08-09-2016, 05:14 AM
http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w690-h345-q90-c690:345/wp-content/uploads/Suicide-Squad-Trailer-Harley-Butt-Edit.jpg

They digitally edited Harley's butt to be more covered in TV trailers. A odd choice as you'd think it would just get more teens in the seats.

FinalSolace2
08-09-2016, 05:45 AM
The unedited version is also edited, its only available for platinum club members

javi
08-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Thought it wasn't bad. There's a kernel of a good movie in it. The second half is better than the first, and I liked the villain. It was a better Ghostbusters movie than the Ghostbusters remake.

I sympathize with ya on all of this, including the Ghostbusters part. Watching the Ghostbusters remake was the point where I never want to see another Sony movie after that, as well as not caring for Rotten Tomatoes anymore. I even said on Facebook that it got 73% of an approval rating, and it still sucked. This movie should of gotten that 73%.