PDA

View Full Version : Sony confirms existence of PlayStation 4 Neo, not at E3

Rubeus
06-10-2016, 10:06 AM
If it's not at E3, it's probably delayed because they want to wait and see what's in Microsoft's sleeves?

Sony confirms existence of PlayStation 4 Neo, not at E3

Andrew House has confirmed to the Financial Times that a PlayStation 4 Neo is in development. He also says it won't be shown at E3, and they're not announcing a release date or price yet.

Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.

“It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.

However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.

“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1231149

Joe Redifer
06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
If Microsoft Xbox shows their Xbone Neo, and the PS4 Neo happens to be better, they'll pull it out from behind closed doors. If the PS4 Neo isn't as good as the Xbone Neo then they will wait to show it until they add a couple more megahertz and 3 more RAMs.

RYU
06-11-2016, 02:51 AM
I don't like way to release new version of ps4 and xb1,who with me about this?cuz its become more powerful than old one.

Ernst
06-11-2016, 05:47 AM
I mean like this is an expensive game.

Gotta buy PS4 Neo, Morpheus, and a 4K TV.

superRSXs
06-12-2016, 11:20 PM
can high end graphic cards nowadays even render 4K at a stable level? Heck- are developers even pushing out 4K graphics at 60fps?

not sure xbox one s or ps 4 neo can render 4K well- maybe upscaling and playback? I don't think the hardware required can meet our price-point, and even if it does, i suspect 4K displays (TV or monitors) aren't as prevalent in households yet.

Drunken Savior
06-13-2016, 12:04 AM
can high end graphic cards nowadays even render 4K at a stable level? Heck- are developers even pushing out 4K graphics at 60fps?

Depends entirely on the game/settings/what is stable to you. But generally, no. Even the newest GTX 1080 card can't really do a stable 60fps at 4k right now for modern games. If the game has SLI profiles (not many do), then maybe using two 1080s will make for a stable 4k/60fps experience on a well optimized game, like Doom.

Maybe when the inevitable GTX 1080Ti comes out we can see, but I doubt it'll give games the 10-20fps push needed to get 4k gaming to that 60fps average (with an acceptable minimum) for modern games. But I'm skeptical that it will. That will be holidays 2016. The next GTX iteration (GTX 11XX), will probably be Holidays 2017. Those will probably reach 4K gaming on a handful of games.

But to answer your other question, yes, devs make games graphically scalable, so 4K is a common setting for PC games. I play all my games at 1440p at over 60fps with a single GTX 980 Ti.

But when they say 4k content, they aren't probably referring to games. They are referring to streaming or downloaded video.

stroopwafel
06-13-2016, 08:44 AM
I'd be glad to buy a PS4 Neo(and a 4K TV) if I could expect a decent supply of quality games that utilize their capability but I somehow doubt it. The 'regular' PS4 had an incredibly slow start and even now 2,5 years on the release schedule for new AAA-releases is really meager(espescially if you consider annualized crap, sports games and remasters).

Sony is putting a lot of resources into 'updating' the PS4 even if it didn't really need it. I mean, what good are higher specs if there is shit to play on it? They could have better put those resources into development of some first party titles to satisfy the already huge install base of the regular PS4 instead of making that install base doubt their purchase(and deter new buyers) so soon in the system's life cycle.

Sony already demanded that PS4 Neo titles must also work on regular PS4 so really what incentive is there for developers/publishers to dedicate(already strained) resources for an upgraded version? You split the install base and the game has to appeal to the lowest denominator regardless. Sony releases the PS4 Neo in a time of big budget bloat, high risk return on investment and increasingly long development cycles that pushes developers and publishers(either voluntarily or involuntarily) out of the console business at an alarming rate all the while putting very little into game development themselves(even if they have talented development studios and lots of partnerships).

Really the timing of the PS4 Neo boggles my mind. Though it wouldn't be first time for Sony to make impressive stuff and then just let it die.