PDA

View Full Version : Sony Reportedly Unsure If There Will Ever Be a PlayStation 5

Rubeus
04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
So basically it echoes with the new long term plan - release incremental hardware upgrades every 3 - 4 years and they are always backward compatible with current gen. Much like what iOS and Android do nowadays.

Sony Reportedly Unsure If There Will Ever Be a PlayStation 5, Lorne Lanning asked Shuhei Yoshida, "What does the PlayStation 5 look like?" He replied, 'You mean if."

One of the more interesting storylines in gaming this year has been the rumors and reports about Sony and Microsoft potentially planning to launch new hardware before the existing cycle is over. Not everyone has been pleased with the idea, but now gaming veteran Lorne Lanning has come out in support of it.

Lanning said on the latest Game Informer Show [YouTube link] (via NeoGAF) that, back in February 2015 at the DICE event, he asked PlayStation president Shuhei Yoshida at a private dinner to give him some details on what the PlayStation 5 might look like. Yoshida's response surprised Lanning.

"I said, 'What does the PlayStation 5 look like?' And he said, 'You mean if...' And I was like, 'Whoa. Are you willing to say that on stage?' And he said, 'Yeah, it's an if.'"

This topic didn't end up being discussed in the Lanning/Yoshida presentation at DICE 2015, however.

If Sony is indeed working on something like a PS4.5, it's an idea that Lanning would support, it seems.

"It was a really interesting thing; he didn't give me a clear answer, but he's hinting at, 'We need to be more agile, none of us know what the future really looks like so how do we adapt to it faster?'" Lanning said. "To me, that's the way he was sort of thinking about it, which I think is the right way think about it."

Gaming consoles are quite different from smartphones, which are typically upgraded on a yearly basis or so. Consoles, on the other hand, usually remain viable for 5-7 years. This longstanding cycle could change, however, if the reports about upgraded PlayStation and Xbox consoles prove accurate.

"The idea that you're going to release a piece of technology that's going to last for seven years into the future is becoming I think less and less viable even though the generations of platforms are lasting longer," Lanning said. "So it seems like it's in conflict."

Just this week, another report claimed Sony's new, more powerful PS4 was indeed real, while a follow-up story said development kits are going out now to developers.

Sony may not be alone in releasing new hardware, as a recent report claimed Microsoft was experimenting with a "variety" of new Xbox device prototypes. Xbox boss Phil Spencer has also said Microsoft will eventually "come out with new hardware capability during a generation." The executive never said it would be this generation, and has made it clear that you won't be opening up your Xbox One with a screwdriver to install new parts.

Additionally, more recently, Spencer said Xbox fans should not expect an Xbox One and a half.

Not everyone is thrilled with the idea of mid-cycle hardware upgrades, however. BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk recently said such a thing would be a "gigantic pain in the ass" for developers and consumers alike.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-reportedly-unsure-if-there-will-ever-be-a-pla/1100-6439011/

Drunken Savior
04-20-2016, 09:23 PM
How many people here will entertain the thought of selling their PS4 and using that to spend a little bit of money to upgrade to a PS4.5?

Escaflowne2001
04-21-2016, 12:50 AM
I have no real interest this time but maybe in the future if they do another release.

spider-prime
04-21-2016, 07:54 AM
How many people here will entertain the thought of selling their PS4 and using that to spend a little bit of money to upgrade to a PS4.5?

I'm probably going to get the upgrade and give my current ps4 to my niece and nephew. Their parents are cheaper than I am! I at least just usually wait for sales or deals, they refuse to spend money that isn't on themselves! lol

My poor children! They gave away most of the toys I bought them!

SavedFromSin
04-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Not me. I bought the system at launch and will not support this trend of upgrades every 2-3 years.

Nem
04-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Well... if they do that then there won't be a PS5 for sure. But not for the reasons they think.

No one is gonna buy a new system every 3 years. Not to mention that publishers won't be happy with that. They will effectively shrink the market.

Good luck Sony! You're gonna need it!

FinalSolace2
04-25-2016, 06:00 PM
the commodification of life is a travesty.

to rid the games world of consoles is to destroy a tradition, an industry, a mode of creative innovation.

It is creating a tax of a utility- and is an insult to the symbolic humanization of a mode of being, that of union with the imagination through technology, organic and self-same interaction.

I don't think this is a good development- I'm highly pessimistic about this concept.

Nintendo has the right idea and understanding.

However people and business tends to worship money- this only leads increasingly to creative monoculture and death in being for producers, administrators and consumers- sterile.

engagement with technology should be an equal interaction, and the gamers should also be able to play the role of novelist and narrator in engagement with makers and authors of the games experience- and that includes the manifestation of his inner will and preferences of gameplay mechanics, visualisation, symbolism and narrative interplays in his demands for personal and individual experience the transmission of character and self expression, and self-ownership of the imagination, personality and its contemplativity.

Videogames are not a utility. This is corruption and industrial interference.

Games should remain an art- not become a utility for corporate and ideological dominance.