PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of Old PCs

SavedFromSin
03-23-2016, 12:08 PM
I have 4 computers from my college days and early days being a swingin' bachelor. I want to dispose of them, but I don't know how to go about doing that. So, here's what they are:

1. Dell Laptop
2. Bigger Dell Laptop
2. Compaq (ie crappy) laptop
4. HP Desktop Tower

I want to just get rid of them completely and not salvage anything, but I am concerned about personal information and stuff being compromised. I know I could have Googled this stuff, but it would have been generic and not to the point so I am hoping for your help. Thought about yanking the HD out on all of it and smashing it to nothing, but I am not literate enough regarding laptops to know how to do that. So, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

BlindMaphisto
03-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Here is a utility that is a bootable formatting tool. Free of course.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/liveusb.php

It can be run from a usb key. You will have to figure out how to boot to a usb key for each machine. If they don't have usb slots I think it can be burned to disk. Actually booting from disk would probably be easier than usb key but that is just my guess. If the machines don't run then you're going to have to yank the hard drives. I think most lap tops keep the hard drives accessible but there is no standard for it so you will have to figure that out for each machine.

If you have serious personal information on them, even if they have been deleted, such as banking, SSN# (or equivalent to whatever your country is), real name, address, then don't get lazy and make sure you format or destroy.

Don't burn them. Toxic fumes. Hard drives by them selves you could get away with burning if you're really paranoid though.

spider-prime
03-23-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't know if all best buys do this, but they recycle old electronics, even computers.

Just drop it off at the front door and you're done.

Rubeus
03-23-2016, 05:29 PM
For the environment, just format the hard drive with the zero-out data option, i.e. writing "0" on top of all data on the hard drives.

http://gizmodo.com/5494427/leave-no-trace-how-to-completely-erase-your-hard-drives-ssds-and-thumb-drives

SavedFromSin
04-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

magic_danny
02-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Hi there
That's the good option, just leavet it outside and wait for rain. I just removed harddrive mashesed it with a hammer, burn it in fire place and at the end kept it the water for like 1 day to make sure its gone. I have lots of important data to destroy. I used to work as a accountant, so bank details, names addreses.