PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft shuts down Lionhead Studio and cancel Fable Legends

Rubeus
03-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Microsoft is fast becoming the most hated studio in 2016?

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Lionhead-Studios-Closed.jpg

Microsoft cancels Fable Legends, and is 'in discussions' to shut down Lionhead Studios -- Also closing down Danish developer Press Play

Microsoft has announced that it is 'in discussions' with Lionhead Studios, Peter Molyneux’s former studio and developer of Black & White and Fable, to shut the studio down.

In a statement made on the Xbox site, it was confirmed that the upcoming Fable Legends has also been cancelled:

After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK…

…The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade.

The news comes alongside an announcement that Danish developer Press Play, the team behind Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, is also to be shuttered:

These have been tough decisions and we have not made them lightly, nor are they a reflection on these development teams – we are incredibly fortunate to have the talent, creativity and commitment of the people at these studios.

It’s worth nothing that Lionhead hasn’t been officially shut down yet, but the language used in the rest of the announcement makes it pretty much inevitable now.

I used to love Black & White when I was a kid, so seeing Lionhead finally bow out will be a sad day indeed.

Microsoft $tudios Europe general manager Hanno Lemke:

Today, I have some difficult changes to announce that affect some of our Microsoft Studios teams and projects in the UK and Denmark.

After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK. Additionally, we will close Press Play Studios in Denmark, and sunset development on Project Knoxville.

These have been tough decisions and we have not made them lightly, nor are they a reflection on these development teams – we are incredibly fortunate to have the talent, creativity and commitment of the people at these studios. The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade. Press Play imbued the industry with a unique creative spirit behind games like Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Kalimba, which both captured passionate fans. These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play.

I speak for all of Xbox when I say that despite this news, we remain committed to the development communities in the UK and Europe, and Xbox will continue to support new IP and originality in the games we offer on our platforms, whether they’re AAA blockbusters like Quantum Break from Remedy, adventurous new IPs like Sea of Thieves from Rare, or unique new creations from independent developers like Moon Studios with Ori.

We have nothing but heart-felt thanks for the members of Lionhead and Press Play for their contributions to Xbox and gaming. We are committed to working closely with those affected by today’s news to find them new opportunities at Xbox, or partnering with the broader development community to help place them in jobs elsewhere in the games industry should they desire.

http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-cancels-fable-legends-and-is-in-discussions-to-shut-down-lionhead-studios-347145.phtml

Escaflowne2001
03-08-2016, 04:13 AM
Fair enough. It's a shame but they were put out of there misery. Things were obviously not going well and the Beta was poorly received.

Drunken Savior
03-08-2016, 06:17 AM
…The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade.

Delighted? I mean, I don't doubt that it sold over a million copies but...

https://i.imgur.com/ounym.gif

Nem
03-08-2016, 08:13 AM
I liked the mainline Fable titles, even 3. Tgey weren't awesome, but they were ok. But without Molyneux they were creatively bankrupt.

They went for one too many spin-offs. Should've gone for Fable 4. Bet they would still be open if they did.

BlindMaphisto
03-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I liked the fable series. The music in the first game is one of my favorite gaming soundtracks, but I played the beta one time and never got the urge to play again.

bujeezus
03-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Played it once and promptly uninstalled it. Press Play will be missed by me. Max and the Curse of Brotherhood grabbed me and didn't let go until I finished the game.

Robertson
03-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Why are they doing so? This is not the first time Microsoft buys a brand and closes the one. Rather poor tactics.

Nem
03-11-2016, 07:26 AM
All the big publishers seem to do it. I have no idea why. What is the point of investing and then throwing out your investment?

EA does it alot, and Sony has done it with Psygnosis aswell. They buy studios and then can't manage them.

Hagane
03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Perhaps it's because they don't want studios creating ips for the competition so instead of risking such thing they just buy them.

A wacky idea I know but let's admit that the industry has become really shady this last years.