PDA

View Full Version : Man who disagreed with feminist on Twitter found not guilty of harassment after 3 yrs

Ernst
01-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Incredible story. These harpies caused him to go bankrupt, destroyed his reputation and effectively ruined his life.

After a legal battle that dragged on for three years , Gregory Alan Elliott has been found not guilty.

In 2012, Elliott was charged with criminal harassment after arguing with feminist activists on Twitter. He’s suffered through a tortuous court case that has cost him nearly one hundred thousand dollars.

Anyone following this case knows that Greg is only guilty of the crime of wrongthink. He was arrested for critically engaging with people who disagreed with him. It wasn’t any different from what people do on social media platforms every day.

Greg’s tweets were far milder than some of the vile garbage I’ve seen come through my notifications. He never threatened anyone, and he never gave anyone reason to fear for their safety.

All he did was argue with people that hated him so much they demanded he be shut down.

I don’t believe Stephanie Guthrie or her cronies felt victimized for a second. We’re talking about people who have posted images of themselves drinking from mugs with “male tears” written on them, after all.

They wanted Elliott to pay for having challenged them, nothing more.

The charges in Elliott’s protracted legal case have prohibited him from using the Internet, forced him to quit his job, and left him bankrupt.

The last three years of Greg’s life have been hell, and he won’t ever get them back.

Despite all this, I am joyful, Greg is joyful, and his sons are joyful. Free speech has won the day, and Greg won’t have to deal with the prospect of months of jail time or heavy fines.

People opposed to speech rights won’t get the satisfaction of seeing Greg behind bars.

Most importantly, legal precedent has been established to defend free expression.

Canada is infamous for its ineffectual provisions for freedom of speech. Establishing the legal default to favour allowing offensive speech is a boon for speech rights in Canada.

A new chapter of Greg’s life starts now. He’ll be able to return to some semblance of his prior life, free of the burden of ongoing criminal proceedings. He’ll be able to return to work, and continue making the artwork for which he is renowned.

It’ll be a rocky road, but he has a lot of people on his side.

I hope you’ll be one of those people. Greg still has legal fees to pay and is hoping to get back to designing and doing his artwork.

If you can, please contribute to the fundraiser Greg’s son Clayton has set up. Every bit of support helps.

If defending speech is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Let’s keep pushing, and continue fighting for speech rights in Canada.

http://www.therebel.media/not_guilty_gregory_alan_elliott

Drunken Savior
01-22-2016, 09:52 PM
This is fucking disgusting.

Dude lost his job, had to drain his pension to pay legal fees, went into serious debt, and was embroiled in legal issues for three years.

Stephanie Guthrie is a immature cunt. But Canada should seriously have never let this go to court.

Ernst
01-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Totally agree.

Another thing: this just feels like a set back for their censorious ways. It's surely only a matter of time before they're successful in one of these awful cases.

Drunken Savior
01-22-2016, 10:05 PM
We’re talking about people who have posted images of themselves drinking from mugs with “male tears” written on them, after all.

Do they not know that 'male tears' have been a euphemism for semen for years?

These people seem to have no interest in equality. They just want to be on top.

Drunken Savior
01-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Also, I'm probably a little biased on this subject. But I watched this video recently and I'm still kind of pissed that the dude here didn't press charges on this woman:

Bvq07KBfhnQ

Soba
01-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah, real feminists don't do stuff like that. This is gross

Ernst
01-23-2016, 01:36 AM
Yeah, real feminists don't do stuff like that. This is gross

I used to agree with this. That social justice warriors weren't real feminists. But to be honest, I can't think of many prominent feminists who aren't like that. Laurie Penny, bell hooks, Connie St. Louis and Deborah Blum (the women who falsified reports re: Nobel scientist Tim Hunt), Anita Sarkeesian, Germaine Greer, Jessica Valenti, the propagandists who made 'The Hunting Ground', Catherine McKinnon, Andrea Dworkin, Valerie Sonalis, Amanda Marcotte, Naomi Wolf, John Scalzi, Joss Whedon, and so on.

Lunatics who believe women in the west are oppressed by an esoteric conspiratorial patriarchy which works in mysterious ways. This is what western feminism is now.

There are dissenters, of course. And valuable thinkers. Christina Hoff Sommers, Cathy Young, Janet Radcliffe Richards, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and some others. Other than those few, the best thinkers on women's issues have actually discarded the label. Because they don't want to be associated with these lunatics who've hijacked it.

BlindMaphisto
01-23-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't think this story is quite over yet. I've read that he has an open and shut defamation case with potentially large monetary compensation. I can't help but assume he will pursue it.

Paper exe
01-23-2016, 08:14 PM
if it really did harm him he would have asked for damages in court. and if he did then he have no reason to complain about it and if not then it is his fault for forgiving her, she probably doesn't deserve to pay him if the "victim" him self doesn't think that she deserve it.

i see no reason to feel sorry for him.

Ernst
01-23-2016, 10:54 PM
if it really did harm him he would have asked for damages in court. and if he did then he have no reason to complain about it and if not then it is his fault for forgiving her, she probably doesn't deserve to pay him if the "victim" him self doesn't think that she deserve it.

i see no reason to feel sorry for him.

They didn't sue him. This was a criminal prosecution. Living in the Middle East, I'm sure you're used to this sort of thing, but in the west, being called to court for having an opinion is exceptionally rare, and anathema to our liberal values.

spider-prime
01-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Also, I'm probably a little biased on this subject. But I watched this video recently and I'm still kind of pissed that the dude here didn't press charges on this woman:

Bvq07KBfhnQ

Oh man, I'm in love now!

Paper exe
01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
They didn't sue him. This was a criminal prosecution. Living in the Middle East, I'm sure you're used to this sort of thing, but in the west, being called to court for having an opinion is exceptionally rare, and anathema to our liberal values.

I think you got me all wrong, I am saying that the guy who get prosecuted should sue the woman for damages. He can do that in here and I am sure he can too else where.

And thankfully where I am from it is extremely safe and peaceful, we can even sleep and our door open.
and as man who works in law, we don't prosecute people for opinion. we got zero causes of these kind of stuff although I do wish they do as we got some idiots talking shit and making rumors and causing trouble.

you probably mixed us out with secular middle eastern countries like Egypt and Syria, those are the places were secular government massacre their people and prevent freedom of speech.

FinalSolace2
01-26-2016, 04:27 AM
5dNbWGaaxWM