PDA

View Full Version : Paramount Cancels Team America Screenings Because Everyone's a Coward

Rubeus
12-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Everyone is scared of Kim Jong-un now.

RPBX47zSktc

In the wake of Sony Pictures canceling its release of The Interview, some theaters with actual balls opted to show Team America: World Police as a protest. No such luck. In a truly staggering act of cowardice, Paramount appears to be telling theaters to shut it all down. What the fuck.

Due to to circumstances beyond our control, the TEAM AMERICA 12/27 screening has been cancelled. We apologize & will provide refunds today.

Alamo Drafthouse DFW (@AlamoDFW) December 18, 2014

Please note: Our Late Shift screening of Team America: World Police has been canceled by Paramount Pictures. pic.twitter.com/TlPVzIeICW

Capitol Theatre (@CapitolW65th) December 18, 2014

Breaking Plaza news : Team America World Police pulled from all theatres as per Paramount Pictures .

Plaza Atlanta (@PlazaAtlanta) December 18, 2014

This insane cancellation ostensibly comes from the same insane security concerns Sony Pictures folded to when it cancelled The Interview. Namely, the threat of full-on terrorist attacks at theaters by the Guardians of Peace, a organization that so far has shown prowess only in hacking Sony's internal network and bragging about it anonymously on Pastebin.

Terrorist threats are no laughing matter, of course, but the Department of Homeland Security has found no credible threat, and evidence that the Guardians of Peace have any sort of manpower that could do anything within the boundaries of the United States (much less at thousands of locations simultaneously) is practically non-existent. This sort of panicked cowardice would be absurd if it wasn't so damn sad.

We've reached out to the theaters involved to find out if Paramount is citing an additional, specific threat against Team America: World Police screenings, or if the company is simply just assuming that theater-threatening boogeymen wouldn't be huge fans of this film either. We've also reached out to Paramount, because what the hell.

Meanwhile, evidence is mounting that perhaps North Korea itself is behind the Sony hacks and that the U.S. might officially point the finger later today. Although that doesn't lend much more credence to threats of terrorism, considering the North Korea is pretty well known for spouting empty nonsense and launching missiles that can barely make it off the launchpad. There's nothing more embarrassing then bowing to that.

In the meantime, who's up for some Red Dawn?

http://gizmodo.com/movie-theaters-cant-even-show-team-america-now-because-1672828807

Joe Redifer
12-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Movie studios and theaters are scared. I'm not scared. I'm pissed! Not that I would have watched The Interview anyway, but caving i to someone's demands like this is indeed cowardice. It only gives them and others more incentive to do future things and make more demands.

spider-prime
12-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Movie studios and theaters are scared. I'm not scared. I'm pissed! Not that I would have watched The Interview anyway, but caving i to someone's demands like this is indeed cowardice. It only gives them and others more incentive to do future things and make more demands.

I agree, just cause they say they will do something doesn't mean they have the means to do it anyways.

They have now made terrorist threats, shouldn't CIA/FBI be looking into this now?

Drunken Savior
12-18-2014, 10:08 PM
The CIA and FBI are. But these are online threats. Extremely hard to track down.

2014 seems to be the year that many high class people got owned by the internet with the Sony hack and the Fappening uhh...happening.

Kim Jong Un is the new Mohammed.

Ernst
12-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Land of the free.

Drunken Savior
12-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Land of the free.

Well...it's not like we're going back to slavery...:rolleyes:

spider-prime
12-19-2014, 01:12 AM
I was planning to see the interview every single day and all the showings I can just to stuff it to these dorky terrorists. Or at least buy tickets to show I'm seeing it and go do something more important. lol

I loved that they planned to attack everyone who goes to see the movie and theaters who show the movie. I really would have loved to see how they would accomplish this.

Drunken Savior
12-19-2014, 01:15 AM
I loved that they planned to attack everyone who goes to see the movie and theaters who show the movie. I really would have loved to see how they would accomplish this.

Replace all copies with advanced copies of 50 Shades of Rape Grey.

Joe Redifer
12-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Here's the thing. Sony has access to all of the theaters that have their shitty projectors installed (and they really, truly are absolute shit). But it's still a lot of theaters. Sony has passwords for the servers that are connected to these projectors. That means the hackers could potentially have access to those projectors. Now they probably couldn't run them or anything like that, but they could delete files. Like deleting every movie on the server so that the theater has nothing to show. The theater could then recopy the movies to their servers if they still have the drives, but that would take hours. Also, one slip in the theater's security and they could get into the POS systems and steal credit card information.

The best answer is to release this movie for free everywhere immediately. Or at least threaten them back. The only way to stop them from going further is to GUARANTEE them that the world will see the movie IF even one more batch of files is released or if any further attack happens in any form.

spider-prime
12-19-2014, 07:10 AM
These projectors are hooked up to the internet? why not just take them off of it? PROBLEM SOLVED!

Joe Redifer
12-21-2014, 03:38 AM
I'm thinking the hackers don't even know what could be done. They probably have no clue how the theater industry works and would never even think of it.

Badrats Studio
12-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Kim Jong Un is the new Mohammed.

Eh ? In what way , if I can ask ?

Drunken Savior
12-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Eh ? In what way , if I can ask ?

Because a few years ago (2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy)), everyone was scared to depict him in media over fears of retaliation from extremists.

Badrats Studio
12-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Because a few years ago (2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy)), everyone was scared to depict him in media over fears of retaliation from extremists.

Well the depiction of Prophet Muhammad in Jylland Posten was harsh and intended to be insulting. And really unnecessary to make fun someone who has passed for so long that has done none of harm things to the planet we're living.

Mr. Kim , on the other hand, has many questionable acts that none of it are for greater good of mankind.

Both men are influential but in opposite way.

FinalSolace2
12-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Well the depiction of Prophet Muhammad in Jylland Posten was harsh and intended to be insulting. And really unnecessary to make fun someone who has passed for so long that has done none of harm things to the planet we're living.

Mr. Kim , on the other hand, has many questionable acts that none of it are for greater good of mankind.

excpt for the fact that one of those guys is just a figment of the social imagination.

hell maybe north korea doesn't even exist- maybe its arsenel gear engineering a threat

Drunken Savior
12-21-2014, 11:09 AM

I guess I don't think someone should lose their life (or be threatened) for making fun of someone. Regardless if it's Hitler or Ghandi.

Joe Redifer
12-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Agreed. If someone makes fun of Muhammad or Kim Jong Un or Obama or Bush, who cares? Only crybabies will get upset.

spider-prime
12-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I have people who make fun of me all the time, but I let them, cause it's called having a sense of humor. I can tell the difference between jokes/kidding around and being hurtful with their comments, but even then, I don't give two shits.

But, what I do like to do is act upset and go all crazy in their faces when it does happen. lol their reaction goes from thinking they are funny to totally afraid. :D

Ernst
12-21-2014, 09:16 PM
At this point, I'm pretty sure King Jong Un (at least as we know him) is about as real as Muhammed.

Icarus4578
12-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Nobody can prove that North Koreans hacked Sony and then blackmailed them.

This is a marketing ploy.

Drunken Savior
12-22-2014, 01:17 AM
Nobody can prove that North Koreans hacked Sony and then blackmailed them.

This is a marketing ploy.

Dude...before you put your tinfoil hat on...think about why Sony would pull this kind of stunt. There is only one answer. More money.

So no, I do not think this is a marketing ploy (http://nypost.com/2014/12/18/sony-lost-90m-on-the-interview/).

And before you say that their plans are to release it as a VOD to recoup production cost make a profit from this...well......probably not (http://collider.com/the-interview-crackle/).

All signs are showing that the cancellation of this film is essentially Sony taking a huge bath. Any victory Sony gets in this is a pyrrhic victory.

spider-prime
12-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Wooo for free!

Icarus4578
12-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Dude...before you put your tinfoil hat on...think about why Sony would pull this kind of stunt. There is only one answer. More money.

So no, I do not think this is a marketing ploy (http://nypost.com/2014/12/18/sony-lost-90m-on-the-interview/).

Sony didn't lose anything. This film will be released, having garnered the attention they sought to generate from the news story. Otherwise, nobody would care about this stupid movie.

Question: are you the sort of person who drinks the media kool-aid or the sort who wants hard evidence to substantiate the veracity of the claims presented?

And before you say that their plans are to release it as a VOD to recoup production cost make a profit from this...well......probably not (http://collider.com/the-interview-crackle/).

All signs are showing that the cancellation of this film is essentially Sony taking a huge bath. Any victory Sony gets in this is a pyrrhic victory.

No matter what their plans are for distribution, I believe this whole thing was staged, that Sony is taking advantage of a political situation in order to generate interest, because they've presented no hard evidence. This is a corporation we're talking about; their sole interest is in generating revenue.

And they will.

Ernst
12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
David Auerbach, a really good Slate writer, did note that the FBI's evidence (at least that they've released) isn't exactly compelling.

Icarus4578
12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
North Korea is denying any involvement and says that it can prove it had nothing to do with the hacking. On the flip-side, apparently this little spat has escalated tensions between NK and the US. Good going, Sony, all to generate interest for your stupid movie.

Drunken Savior
12-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Question: are you the sort of person who drinks the media kool-aid or the sort who wants hard evidence to substantiate the veracity of the claims presented?

Good point. What is your proof that this is a marketing ploy?

Because I've already shown that Sony has lost a lot of money on this so far and has compromised a lot of their employee and customer's private information. All this over a movie with a $44 MM budget?

Sorry, your story doesn't add up and you haven't presented anything that substantiated your claim that this is a plan of Sony's own device.

You want a better conspiracy theory: This was a hit funded by ISPs to kill net neutrality.

David Auerbach, a really good Slate writer, did note that the FBI's evidence (at least that they've released) isn't exactly compelling.

Not really what I was asserting. I was saying that Icarus' claim that this was a marketing ploy by Sony doesn't hold any water since Sony isn't really benefiting from this in any significant way. Even if this movie makes a huge profit (it probably won't past the opening weekend. Seriously, it's a fuckin' stoner comedy with a 60% RT rating), that doesn't erase the fact that Sony has to do an enormous amount of infrastructure review in order to discover how they were hacked and protect their company information again.

Reports are already coming in that suggests a $100MM bath on that alone (http://www.businessinsider.com/sonys-hacking-scandal-could-cost-the-company-100-million-2014-12). So yeah...I'm not saying that it's definately N. Korea...just that I don't see what motivation Sony has in losing nearly $200MM just to promote a shitty movie.

If Sony really wanted to make some quick cash, they could have just rented the rights to Spiderman back to Marvel for Avengers 3 and 3.5 and take a cut of that profit. Cheaper, easier, and it doesn't involve 'leaking' thousands of their customers and employee's personal information.

Ernst
12-22-2014, 07:50 PM
I agree, Drunken. Just thought it was important to note that at least some credible voices believe the released evidence to be debatable. Not that you were suggesting otherwise. Just throwing it out there.

Icarus4578
12-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Good point. What is your proof that this is a marketing ploy?

It's a hunch.

Because I've already shown that Sony has lost a lot of money on this so far and has compromised a lot of their employee and customer's private information. All this over a movie with a $44 MM budget?

No, they haven't. Ever heard of a tax write-off? Besides, this is chump-change compared to their earnings. Big movie studios know exactly how to work the system and milk resources to their maximum advantage. For example, they get certain states to subsidize their productions with tax credits, all at taxpayer expense, and only have to pay back a small percentage in revenue. Put another way, they're crooks.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121204/03352421220/15-billion-taxpayer-funds-go-directly-to-movie-studios-each-year-very-few-jobs-created.shtml

Sorry, your story doesn't add up and you haven't presented anything that substantiated your claim that this is a plan of Sony's own device.

Ok, sure thing. Meanwhile, where's your evidence that Sony was hacked besides their claim?

You want a better conspiracy theory: This was a hit funded by ISPs to kill net neutrality.

Government has been pushing for net neutrality because they want to regulate it.

Joe Redifer
12-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Didn't Sony say they are going to try and get the film released after Obama's comments? They didn't say how or when, just that they'd like to get it out.

Drunken Savior
12-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Didn't Sony say they are going to try and get the film released after Obama's comments? They didn't say how or when, just that they'd like to get it out.

Well they aren't going to just destroy every copy of the film they have. Even when a movie is going to bomb, distributing it is more profitable than not. They just don't know how they are going to do it.

With N. Korea's internet down today, they should have just done a 'Today only!" showing of the film worldwide...zerg rush style.

Nem
12-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Ok, sure thing. Meanwhile, where's your evidence that Sony was hacked besides their claim?

Erm... the movies that got leaked online before their theater release? I'm pretty sure that they didnt mean to lose revenue on those. I searched for those movies and actually downloaded one.

This is no crazy conspiracy theory. Sony was hacked and lost valuable data.

Now wether this was NK or not is a different matter, but it does make sense since it seems the demand was for the interview to be pulled.

Icarus4578
12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Early leaks haven't prevented their blockbusters from breaking records, so that's a non-starter.

Let's say it wasn't NK, that it's in fact another person/group pretending to act on behalf of NK. What is the motivation? Someone went through an awful lot of trouble ...just to blackmail Sony into cancelling one movie's release? It doesn't add up.

Joe Redifer
12-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Personally I think Sony was hacked because the COULD be hacked. Their security sucked. It's happened before with PSN.

Fact: Sony was hacked by outside hackers, Sony lost a lot of data.

Possible theory: Sony tried to make the best of a bad situation and say it was North Koreans in order to at least rake in some extra cash for The Interview. Things got out of hand more than they thought they would with the big chains pulling out and all. Now the many of the theaters that are indeed opening it on Christmas Day will only have one showing per day because they already did their schedule.

Icarus4578
12-24-2014, 12:52 PM
http://www.thewrap.com/sony-set-to-announce-the-interview-theatrical-vod-release-exclusive/

How about now?

Joe Redifer
12-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah that's old news.

Icarus4578
12-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Sony released it in spite of being 'blackmailed', as predicted.

progmetal
12-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Of course. Never let the "terrorists" win.

Drunken Savior
12-26-2014, 06:38 PM
It's not like they were going to burn all copies of the film in existence, guys. They are desperately trying to make something back out of all of this.

I am very curious how much they'll make off the digital rentals though, since it's never been done like this before. Though I know many people just pirated the movie anyways because they could.

Icarus4578
12-27-2014, 11:06 AM
It's not like they were going to burn all copies of the film in existence, guys. They are desperately trying to make something back out of all of this.

Desperate is the appropriate term here. They are desperate ...for money.

Escaflowne2001
12-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Shocking! Business trying to make as much money as possible. Whatever next but seriously they'll make less money now because of all this.

Icarus4578
12-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes, shocking(!) how a story is manufactured in order to create the illusion that Hollywood is under attack by hackers from North Korea just to get people's attention, not caring how much trouble they've caused in the process. All for what? Money.

progmetal
12-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes, shocking(!)(if true) how a story is manufactured in order to create the illusion that Hollywood is under attack by hackers from North Korea just to get people's attention, not caring how much trouble they've caused in the process. All for what? Money.

Fixed.

Joe Redifer
12-27-2014, 06:06 PM
The movie is tanking. It made One million dollars at the box office so far. Probably 5 million or so with VOD. The movie cost 44 million to make. If all of this is a rouse just to get money it is backfiring big time.

Drunken Savior
12-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Would have made more than 6 million so far if it opened in 2000 theaters like a normal film than 200 theaters and VODs (which also means piracy was rampant). 'This is the End' made 20 million its first weekend and is a film that targeted the same demographics.

Escaflowne2001
12-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Yes, shocking(!) how a story is manufactured in order to create the illusion that Hollywood is under attack by hackers from North Korea just to get people's attention, not caring how much trouble they've caused in the process. All for what? Money.

BS just another conspiracy theory. Since VOD can't replace the money lost by the cancellation of most of the cinema showings.

Drunken Savior
12-27-2014, 10:49 PM
I've seen it, it's pretty much what you expected. Being the target of Guardians of Peace suddenly didn't make this stupid, fun little comedy an instant masterpiece. I found the first hour pretty slow and boring, minus a few smirk worthy cameos. But the actor who portrayed KJU actually was pretty good and was the highlight of the film (Makes sense, he's a comedian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgWXW4nVe0)). Too bad he's only on screen for the second half. I'm a big Franco/Rogan fan but this is one of their lesser comedies. 'This Is The End' is far superior and 'Pineapple Express' is also much better. The bulk of the enjoyment is that you can really tell Rogan and Franco are good friends so the chemistry is there. It's also why WITE is excellent as well, and why I love these types of comedies, even when they aren't that great. Reminds you of how much fun it is to hang out and be silly with your best friends.

Still, I'm glad I only paid a few bucks to rent it than pay for a box office ticket. A group of us got to watch it for about a buck a piece.

Two stars out of five.

Joe Redifer
12-28-2014, 05:42 AM
(Makes sense, he's a comedian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgWXW4nVe0)).

That show looks annoying with the extreme amount of zooms they feel are necessary.

Icarus4578
12-28-2014, 01:09 PM
BS just another conspiracy theory. Since VOD can't replace the money lost by the cancellation of most of the cinema showings.

Red flag #1: The claim was that 100 terrabytes of data were siphoned, which implies that the security breach went unimpeded for a looooong time before anyone bothered to notice. Not buying it.

Red flag #2: Motive. Following up on #1, the public is handed this story about hackers siphoning all this data. Why? We're told, it was all to blackmail Sony Pictures in order to prevent a film from being released. Hackers would find it far more beneficial to sell the data.

Red flag #3: North Korea denies involvement, to the point where they begin openly threatening the US. Kim Jong-Un and his crew have no qualms about owning up to whatever it is they do. Their arrogance is second-to-none, to the point where they openly call Obama a monkey and threaten to annihilate SK. Yet, for some unfathomable reason, they refuse to own up to hacking Sony, going so far as to offer to prove their innocence via joint-investigation. It didn't seem to bother them when Hollywood did its remake of Red Dawn. In fact they went and changed the invader from China to North Korea for fear of angering the Chinese government, which shows just how vapid the cries about "free speech" really are. (Side-note: NK is incapable of invading America.)

Given that there's zero evidence that NK was involved, that indicates either another hacker or Sony themselves as being the responsible party. Would the US government hack Sony in order to frame NK? Possibly, but then what would their motive be? Beats me. Seeing as there hasn't been a report of the data being sold, I'm leaning toward Sony. They had the means, motive and opportunity.

Icarus4578
12-28-2014, 01:55 PM
This is what hackers do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888339/Hackers-release-cache-13-000-passwords-credit-cards-Playstation-Xbox-Amazon-users.html

They steal account/credit card info, leak information and offer things for illegal download - incidentally, The Interview. Blackmailing a studio to not release a film runs counteractive to their intent.

Furthermore, it's been shown in the past how both movie and music studios have leaked "pirated" copies of their own material in order to generate interest, as well as to further lend credence to their arguments for regulatory capture over the internet (SOPA, PIPA, etc.).

Joe Redifer
12-29-2014, 01:41 AM
NEVER use the Daily Mail to make a point.

Anyway you can tinfoil-hat all you want (which is something that you're known to do... EVERYTHING is a conspiracy, after all) the movie has bombed. They have not profited from this. People don't want to work for or with Sony. I agree that it likely wasn't North Korea, but I'm sure they legitimately thought it was at the time. People are allowed to change their minds as they learn new facts. There's no law saying that once you think something you must always think the same way forever and ever no matter what. That'd be silly.

Drunken Savior
12-29-2014, 07:05 AM
The VOD income is said to be around 15MM with an additional 2MM from the box office (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-the-interview-has-made-over-15-million-online-1201388557/). 17MM is a lot more than I expected it to make, to be honest. I wonder how much it'd do on it's second week though. Still a long ways to go to break even on that 44MM + advertising cost which is rumored to be around 30MM.

And like I said "This Is The End" made 20MM it's first weekend.

Here is a good article detailing the cost of the film, as well as different avenues Sony can take to mitigate losses (https://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-could-lose-75-million-on-the-interview-exclusive-1201382506/).

Icarus4578
12-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Anyway you can tinfoil-hat all you want (which is something that you're known to do... EVERYTHING is a conspiracy, after all) the movie has bombed. They have not profited from this. People don't want to work for or with Sony. I agree that it likely wasn't North Korea, but I'm sure they legitimately thought it was at the time. People are allowed to change their minds as they learn new facts. There's no law saying that once you think something you must always think the same way forever and ever no matter what. That'd be silly.

As far as conspiracies, well, yes, I don't trust most of what I hear because I've got no good reason to, least of all a multi-billion dollar company such as Sony. Trust is something earned, not given away freely. A conspiracy: two or more people colluding to do something subversive and bad. Happens all the time. Attempting to discredit the arguments put forth via the thoroughly unimaginative "tinfoil-hat" ad hominem makes you sound immature. There's not a single shred of evidence that Sony was hacked, let alone 100 terrabytes siphoned. I asked before and I'll ask again: provide hard evidence that Sony was hacked. Anything else constitutes speculation without substantiation.

Lastly, good, I'm glad that garbage film is tanking. Their little stunt backfired in a big way.

Joe Redifer
12-29-2014, 07:52 PM
You're the one making accusations and therefore it is YOU who needs to provide the hard evidence. I'll agree with you that there is likely no North Korean connection, but you can view the hacked data yourself if you look. You can read countless e-mails, watch lots of pirated movies that haven't been released yet, etc etc etc. One of the movies that came down in that big data stream was The Interview.

What I find very strange about you, Icarus, is that you're skeptical of almost everything. I say "almost" because you take the whole God thing at face value and you don't have any skepticism there. Very odd and might I say hypocritical. How has something that relies on complete faith "earned" your trust? As for the tinfoil hat thing, well... if the hat fits... You get the idea. It's fine to be skeptical and I recommend it, but you need to sift through the facts instead of jumping on the "everything we see and hear is wrong and a lie" boat. It makes you look paranoid. Not everything you see and hear in the news is wrong. Biased, maybe. In the beginning I also, like you, thought this might be a publicity stunt. I didn't commit to that fact because I didn't have enough of the story. But looking at everything, it'd be a really stupid way of going about promoting an unimportant movie. I have friends of friends who worked at Sony and it's real. They're also having a hard time getting a new job as a result. Heres a link to that story (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-identity-theft-victim-758507). Oh. I also have several friends in the industry that aren't getting paid for work they've done for Sony including screening their films. They can't process their payroll and have no idea when they'll be able to get people paid. Why would they burn so many bridges just to promote The Interview? It's not like all of a sudden people are getting paid now that it's out.

I'm sure you think there's something funny going on with the missing airplanes. In fact I guarantee that you do. This is how predictable you are. God forbid they actually just crashed without an agenda.

zechin
12-30-2014, 03:28 AM
There's no use arguing about semantics of whether what one person believes over another is 'true' or not. Especially when it becomes detrimental to the ideal of open-mindedness.

If what someone else believes is what they believe then that's their choice, there is no 'saving' people from their own 'path' they walk in life. If they're willing to hear you out then that's a bonus. But personally, I like to always take the wait and see approach to see if any new information comes out, or whether it's even reliable information is also up to personal preference.

Not everything has to have a conspiracy behind it, and not everything should be taken at face value. Knowing the difference is the hard part.

Icarus4578
12-30-2014, 11:34 AM
You're the one making accusations and therefore it is YOU who needs to provide the hard evidence.

Actually, I'm speculating, going off whatever information that's been presented thus far. One can often come to a logical conclusion simply by following motive.

I'll agree with you that there is likely no North Korean connection, but you can view the hacked data yourself if you look. You can read countless e-mails, watch lots of pirated movies that haven't been released yet, etc etc etc. One of the movies that came down in that big data stream was The Interview.

How do you know that someone at Sony wasn't responsible for that leak?

What I find very strange about you, Icarus, is that you're skeptical of almost everything. I say "almost" because you take the whole God thing at face value and you don't have any skepticism there. Very odd and might I say hypocritical. How has something that relies on complete faith "earned" your trust? As for the tinfoil hat thing, well... if the hat fits... You get the idea. It's fine to be skeptical and I recommend it, but you need to sift through the facts instead of jumping on the "everything we see and hear is wrong and a lie" boat. It makes you look paranoid. Not everything you see and hear in the news is wrong. Biased, maybe.

Over the years, I've learned not to take anything presented by a mainstream source at face value. They lie constantly and operate with an agenda. BTW, faith is a separate faculty from reason.

In the beginning I also, like you, thought this might be a publicity stunt. I didn't commit to that fact because I didn't have enough of the story. But looking at everything, it'd be a really stupid way of going about promoting an unimportant movie. I have friends of friends who worked at Sony and it's real. They're also having a hard time getting a new job as a result. Heres a link to that story (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-identity-theft-victim-758507). Oh. I also have several friends in the industry that aren't getting paid for work they've done for Sony including screening their films. They can't process their payroll and have no idea when they'll be able to get people paid. Why would they burn so many bridges just to promote The Interview? It's not like all of a sudden people are getting paid now that it's out.

Perhaps because their strategy backfired? As far as the people you mention not getting paid, there's nothing surprising about it. Hollywood is full of crooks and thieves. Sony can do a tax write-off on their losses, then slowly recoup over time through various distribution channels. Small businesses? Not so much.

I'm sure you think there's something funny going on with the missing airplanes. In fact I guarantee that you do. This is how predictable you are. God forbid they actually just crashed without an agenda.

Actually, I have no idea what happened to that recent airliner. Since it flew into a storm, it probably crash-landed into the ocean.

You're concerned with image, i.e. how others perceive you, looking for social affirmation, whereas my sole concern is with truth, disregarding what others think of me along the way. Otherwise, you would never resort to such debased shoot-the-messenger-style rhetoric.

Drunken Savior
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
It's quite obvious that you're willing to question the narrative that 'Sony was hacked by someone' and willingly accept 'Sony leaked their own data' without question. You're not even following your own advice of following motive.

Otherwise, you'd wonder what Sony would have to gain by leaking their own employee's criminal background checks, social security numbers, salary information, medical records, unreleased scripts, public emails, unreleased films, and performance examinations (http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara/sony-hack#.hiWXaQ5Oq) have to do with making a profit in the grand scheme of things.

The company will have to restructure their entire company network, have damaged relationships with a lot of Hollywood talent, and has lost them additional revenue to these movies being available via VOD/Piracy earlier than intended.

So far, all you have said is that "insurance" will make this profitable. Or you have claimed that the stunt "backfired" and if it went right it would have been profitable. Sorry, that simply does not hold water. What insurance covers leaked emails that damage reputation? What insurance covers things that do not have monetary value? How was this plan supposed to be profitable on paper? Why would Sony leak information on a senior executive's breastfeeding diet? These are questions I'd think anyone would logically ask themselves if they were truly searching for motive in a "Sony leaked their info for profit" narrative before believing it at face value as you have clearly done so far.

Seriously, the narrative that Sony leaked all this company data in order to promote 'The Interview' and/or to collect via insurance is so far fetched that I don't see how anyone could believe it at face value! If it were a leak on simply the film alone, maybe. If it were a little more tighter in term of what was leaked, if it wasn't exposing so much personal data of their employees and executives and only served to financially damage the company...then it'd hold water. But far too much of the leak has no monetary value and serves only to publicly embarrass Sony or damage their reputation due to their own doing that would normally be private.

Icarus4578
12-30-2014, 01:41 PM
They'd have to be completely stupid to leave all that content in a situation where it can be compromised, but this sort of thing happens far too frequently. So who's fault is that? How do they lose 100 terrabytes-worth of data, without even knowing it?

Joe Redifer
12-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Actually from what I hear, the hack WAS an inside job. But I do not think it was a Sony-sanctioned job. I do not think it's something Sony ordered done in order to promote The Interview. But rather a disgruntled employee or employees.

Hollywood is full of crooks and thieves.
Sure. But not paying people who do services for them is not a good thing. Want people to run screenings for you? Might be hard to procure a screening room when the existing ones don't get paid. And screening rooms aren't exactly a dime a dozen. Sony MUST screen their movies for the press and others and upsetting the people who run it by not being able to pay them would not be a wise decision just to promote The Interview.

And yes, there's no denying that Sony was completely stupid. It's possible that the hacked data was copied via USB2 locally in the wee hours of the night.

Icarus4578
12-30-2014, 07:03 PM
It would be far more plausible to assume that it was an inside job, meaning that someone within the company siphoned the data with a portable HD rather than a hacker breaking in and copying.