PDA

View Full Version : thinking of ordering the asus chromebox

spider-prime
08-27-2014, 05:47 PM
For video/music files and just browsing the web on my tv for better viewing.

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-CHROMEBOX-M004U-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=pd_sim_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CRV11SP8NME20HM7C6A

I read a lot on if this can run HD movies at 1080p size and any format, most people said it should play them just fine. But you never know, so I wanted to get some other opinions about it.

I was planning on putting on ubuntu on it also if the chromeos is a piece of shit.

I was planning on buying a mac mini for this, since it is a pretty powerful mini pc, but not for the price, I just want something cheap, can take to someone's house also and just slap in a USB stick and play some files on it.

What say you?!

Drunken Savior
08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
HTPC setups are so customizable, it's hard to say what's best for someone.

Right now I use my main PC running PLEX to serve 3 TVs which have Roku 1s or Roku 3s on them. That works well for everyone in the house since my PC is strong enough to transcode without really impacting my usage. This Christmas, I'm actually building a SAN/Plex encoder PC for the house.

If all you really want to do is browse the web (I assume using an actual web browser and not just 'channels') and watch video, then I think 200 CDN is a little high for that particular solution.

spider-prime
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
well I do want it for a computer that I can easily hook up anywhere. Not just in my house, but slam that sucker at my brother's house without worrying about configuring anything.

I was using my PS3 for the longest time for streaming, but it doesn't play every file I throw at it, causes errors and crashes the file sometimes.

I'm just looking for something that is the most like a computer it's more likely to run the things I want to run on it without going bonkers of why it's not working, like I'm doing now on my PC.

But, I will getting the chromebox for 160 dollars, it's on sale at this one electronics store downtown and I have a 50 dollar gift card that someone gave me for helping them with some crap cause I wouldn't take any money for helping, but they were very insisted in doing something in return. so I took it :D

Only main reason I'm thinking of getting one for that instead of a streaming device, cause I was looking at them too.

spider-prime
08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Zeus_Mini-I_100

also thinking of getting a zeus mini and taking my old Geforce 560 GTX and shoving it into it from my old computer to get more use out of it.

Or maybe, just get this instead altogether and hook it up to my TV. The only thing I'm going to upgrade on it is the CPU to a i5 instead of a i3.

I wouldn't mind having another gaming pc ready for lanning with my friends when they come over. I've been playing tons of Heroes of the Storm lately, it's pretty fun, I destroy everyone with the Diablo 3 Barbarian and Demon hunter!

having 3 gaming PCs in the house isn't a bad idea.

Drunken Savior
08-27-2014, 08:21 PM
That Cyberpower PC is not too bad a solution if you get an i5 over the i3 and put in your own 560 into it. Though I think the case is gaudy. An 800W power supply is also overkill for a single GPU PC, and I also don't like that they don't tell you the brand of the PSU. I'd pay more to get a PSU you can verify is of quality, even at a lower wattage.

Depending on how good your wifi router is, getting that and putting it in a discreet location (so you don't hear the fans) and using PLEX (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_YqqsbT0Hg) and Roku streaming sticks (http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IOL1ABK) on your TVs will allow you to watch your videos on it without the actual hard drive being close to the TV at all. That's pretty much what I'm testing right now before buying a new computer for my parents so they can watch movies and tv shows on demand. Just make sure the computer that hosts the content is connected via ethernet (and not wifi) to the router.

I've tried WDTV Live and Chromecast in addition to Roku and I've set on Roku Streaming Sticks.

Also, I'm not sure what containers you have your video files in, but they handle .mkvs like a charm.