PDA

View Full Version : Crytek isn't happy about the XBO's performance, new revenue deal in the works

Rubeus
08-10-2014, 05:29 AM
So Crytek is blaming their financial problems to sales of Ryse as well. Xbox One reminds me of the early days of the PS3 launch, it's doing exactly that.

There are tons of rumors floating around regarding Crytek these days, and none of them are good. Many involve the fact that the developer is either bankrupt or not paying its staff, the latter of which has been confirmed by an interview with Eurogamer. Speaking to founder and CEO Cevat Yerli, the outlet found that many staff members, including the CEO himself, went unpaid for extended periods of time to avoid filing for insolvency.

Yerli also confirmed that the company has obtained a cash-up-front deal that will allow Crytek to pay its "delayed" employees and save the company, but hasn't gone into the details on said deal yet, noting that "The partner and us have to agree when to announce it."

Speaking on Ryse, Yerli notes that "We are not 100 percent happy with Xbox One sales right now. So we want to wait til the current gen and next gen catches up. For Ryse 2 we aren't saying it's canceled. It's our IP." He goes on to say that because it's their IP, it isn't exclusive to Microsoft.

Crytek is in a weird place now and will have to re-focus to ensure that it doesn't have any more financial disappointments. Then again it seems to get more chances than most studios, so maybe it can keep finding money time and time again and end up lasting.

http://www.destructoid.com/crytek-isn-t-happy-about-the-xbox-one-s-performance-has-a-new-revenue-deal-in-the-works-279294.phtml

Escaflowne2001
08-10-2014, 07:28 AM
No one is going to fund Ryse 2 because the first one flopped. It's not the sales of XB1 that hurt the sales of Ryse. It's the piss poor reviews. I didn't mind the game for what it was but it wasn't the best.

There looking for a scapegoat and trying to save face because there company is in trouble. Crytek situation reminds me a lot of Factor 5 after they released Haze.

Drunken Savior
08-10-2014, 08:02 AM
That's the risk you take going exclusive this early on. If the console is slow out of the gate, your not going to have a large user base to sell to. Factor in the poor reviews of Ryse and you lost out on even the casual gamers just looking for a fix.

Nem
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I would be alright if they wanted to port Ryse to the PS4. I would get it at a discounted price.

This was the only game that got me kind of excited for the X1 back on E3 when it was unveiled (aside from the QTE madness). Its nothing i would die for, but its interesting to know it was not a set-in-stone exclusive.

Also, this related rumor is hovering around:

Third Party Exclusive Titles Coming To PS4, Developers Moving To Platform With Large Fan Base?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15751-third-party-exclusive-titles-coming-ps4-developers-moving-platform-large.html

Reality
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
If they want to have their profits up than get the lead out on that TimeSplitters Multiplayer remake!

Havoc2049
08-24-2014, 01:48 AM
TimeSplitters multiplayer wasn't even that big back in the day. What makes you think it would be popular today?

Icarus4578
08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Esca nailed it.

Developers could spare themselves a lot of trouble if they didn't spend beyond their means looking for the pot at the end of the rainbow. But no -- everything has to be the state-of-the-art, Hollywood budget, lavish production. It's the law.

Nem
08-24-2014, 01:13 PM
But i think it would have been fine if they had released it on both consoles. It would probably have sold twice as much.
Their problem is that they went for a console exclusive. That is always like betting on horse racing.

Havoc2049
08-24-2014, 02:34 PM
The problem with Crytek is that they make big budget AAA games, but they never quite hit the AAA numbers in sales that they need to, to keep that business model going. The sales of Ryse aren't that bad and it should hit the One Million mark here soon. Crytek's problem is that they expanded too fast and had 7 studios worldwide and they never even came close to Battlefield/Call of Duty/Halo type numbers in sales that they needed. Crytek's problems have been a long time coming, even before Ryse.

Ryse XOne 2013 Action Microsoft Game Studios: 0.93

Crysis 3 X360 2013 Shooter Electronic Arts: 0.81

Crysis 3 PS3 2013 Shooter Electronic Arts: 0.77

Crysis 3 PC 2013 Shooter Electronic Arts: 0.46

Two big budget AAA releases in one year, both with full fledged single player and multiplayer components and sales of only around 3 million equals death in this day and age.

For reference:
Battlefield 4: 10.21 million
Call of Duty: Ghosts: 22.26 million
Halo 4: 9.09 million

Nem
08-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I remember that not long ago 1m was enough to break even on a AAA title.

I understand that Ryse didnt make much money given it was next-gen, but Crysis was using assets from the previous game and sold about 2m. I'm sure it made money.

Reality
08-24-2014, 07:27 PM
TimeSplitters multiplayer wasn't even that big back in the day. What makes you think it would be popular today?

Well I know it was over shadowed by Halo's Multiplayer but the content was top notch. If published today by EA you'd have to pay $250 in DLC alone. They packed that much content into their multiplayer. Was a blast. That's why I was so happy to hear they was letting a fan group remake it for free.

Icarus4578
08-25-2014, 09:10 AM
But i think it would have been fine if they had released it on both consoles. It would probably have sold twice as much.
Their problem is that they went for a console exclusive. That is always like betting on horse racing.

There's truth to this. But until developers learn to temper their propensity for betting the farm on one or two hyper-budget projects, the doom and gloom will occur with greater frequency. What sensible businessmen would go, "Hmm, our total assets are $22 million. I know, let's invest it all into one huge project."

Drunken Savior
08-25-2014, 10:04 AM
This is complete speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crytek was approached by Microsoft to make Ryse a Xbox One exclusive, in exchange for Microsoft promoting it. Promotion is a massive, massive part of the game development process and perhaps Crytek thought that if M$ was promoting Ryse, it'd sell a lot better than if Crytek themselves promoted it as a multiplatform title.

When we look back at E3 2013, we saw a shit ton of Ryse. Xbox One commercials had a shit ton of Ryse. And why not? It's a good looking game. What better way to show off how powerful your new console is than with Ryse. We all know that those commercials don't really show off gameplay, but visuals...which means Ryse got the better part of the advertisement: They emphasized Ryse's strengths and minimized the impact of Ryse's weakness.

But in the end, Ryse didn't sell, as Nem and myself have speculated, due to the Xbox One's subpar sales since launch. Couple that with other titles fairing better on Xbox One (Titanfall, CoD: Ghosts, Forza 4, BF4, and even Dead Rising 3 all outsold it) and Ryse's poor reviews, Ryse was just a subpar game in a already pretty stacked lineup of launch games (minus Titanfall).

So if my little postulation is correct, then really both Ryse and Microsoft got hosed. Ryse sold like shit and the Xbox One is far behind the PS4 in terms of sales.

Fuck do I care though, Microsoft will be fine in the end...but I like to think that this nice little bump in the road is 'gamer justice' for them trying to pull that shitty always on DRM stunt AND trying to force the Kinnect on gamers. Oh, two of their big 'exclusives,' Ryse and Dead Rising 3 are coming to PC too. So lulz to that.

Icarus4578
08-25-2014, 10:25 AM
When a company invests so much into one project that they do not recoup nor afford to pay their staff (if the rumor holds water), the blame lies squarely on bad business practice. Perhaps they took it for granted, thinking that graphics alone would sell it through, past the negative press, I cannot say. But let's cut to the chase. No sensible game company would pour invest so heavily into a glorified tech demo and then not expect disaster.

Hypothetical example: Imagine if Square poured their entire budget into The Bouncer for the PS2 and then expected to recoup. When it flopped and they found themselves in the red, whose fault would it be? Not the inanimate object we call a console.

Drunken Savior
08-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Square has a 'special kind of logic' akin to Crytek.

"We were disappointed that Tomb Raider only sold 3 million plus copies (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/square-enix-disappointed-by-sales-of-tomb-raider-wants-to-maximise-profits-during-development/) on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC....so the sequel is going to be exclusive to Xbox One."

Wut?

Escaflowne2001
08-25-2014, 12:48 PM
It's actually XB360/XB1 but yeah. Depends how much MS might be helping with the cost, the second game should also be cheaper to develop.

Icarus4578
08-25-2014, 09:08 PM
I have no idea why SquareEnix would say something so absurd. Do their own games sell through 3 million? But I digress. Microsoft was likely banking on Ryse to boost console sales, especially given the promotional campaign leading up to launch. It just comes to show that first-party developers shouldn't put all their chickens in one basket. The sole exception was Super Mario 64 which was touted as "the greatest video game ever made" by most of the media back then.

Havoc2049
08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Microsoft needs to launch with a Halo next go around. A Mario would help Nintendo as well, but I think Nintendo's chances of ever being the dominate player in the console market are past.