PDA

View Full Version : Kinect-less Xbox One “kills the chances of making an original Kinect title

Rubeus
05-16-2014, 02:02 AM
Kinect is heading the way of PS Move.

Zoë Mode studio head Paul Mottram understands Microsoft’s decision to release a Kinect-less Xbox One SKU, but feels that it may not be the best thing from a developer standpoint.

Mottram told Develop that removing Kinect is “a shame” because “it all but kills the chances of making an original Kinect title unless it is a major licensed Fitness or Dance product”. Even these types of titles “will suffer as it’s unlikely we’ll see Kinect 2 units even come close to the installed base of the original now.”

Mottram’s comments in full:

“We’ve been closely involved with Microsoft over the last few years and I imagine this decision wasn’t taken lightly, but it’s understandable as they need to compete with the PS4 on price. However, whilst it wasn’t perfect, Kinect helped differentiate the platforms, which can only be a good thing.

“From a developer point of view it’s a shame, as it all but kills the chances of making an original Kinect title unless it is a major licensed Fitness or Dance product – and even those will suffer as it’s unlikely we’ll see Kinect 2 units even come close to the installed base of the original now. Even then it was a challenge.

“I just feel sorry for those developers who had Kinect titles in development who’ve had the rug pulled from beneath them and may now stand little chance of seeing a return on their investment. I still hope to see a killer use for Kinect that will change the minds of the doubters and hopefully ID@Xbox program will help make this happen, as smaller developers may try something new with the peripheral that mainstream publishers would were not willing to gamble on.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/microsoft-backtracking-kills-chances-to-make-original-kinect-games/0192814

Icarus4578
05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Good. Kinect is a worthless piece of junk. All a console gamer needs is a good controller or joystick, not a camera and mic trained on them. What could possibly be more simple and intuitive than pressing a button?

Nem
05-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Wait a moment while i shed a tear...

Nope. Not happening.

progmetal
05-16-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/13/microsofts-yusuf-mehdi-explains-the-xbox-ones-split-with-kinect-2/
According to Microsoft voice control is still the future:
*I think in five years, we will laugh at any computing device you can’t walk up to and talk to. Voice is going to be there for all devices.*

Joe Redifer
05-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Now hopefully they'll release that fake Panzer Dragoon game as a REAL game that normal people can play. It is currently Kinect exclusive.

Rubeus
05-16-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/13/microsofts-yusuf-mehdi-explains-the-xbox-ones-split-with-kinect-2/
According to Microsoft voice control is still the future:

Without Kinect there's no voice control. :(

Reality
05-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Maybe they'll add a little mic in the controllers. But I will miss waving my hands in front of me to navigate. It took longer and I didn't care about the OS but man it was great!

Escaflowne2001
05-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Now hopefully they'll release that fake Panzer Dragoon game as a REAL game that normal people can play. It is currently Kinect exclusive.

Is it really fake when it's created by the guy who created Panzer Dragoon. That's SEGA's fought.

It's not a kinect exclusive and hasn't been for about 4 years.

Joe Redifer
05-17-2014, 04:29 AM
No I'm talking about the one for the Xbone. I was led to believe that there'd be one for the Xbone. Not the far more wimpy Xbox 360. That's sooo last year and way super weak in comparison yuck why would anyone play a console so weak when you have the mad powerhouse Xbone which is almost 1.5 times as powerful?

And yes if it isn't officially Panzer Dragoon, I feel a little ripped off.

Escaflowne2001
05-17-2014, 05:17 AM
There isn't one for the XB360 only Crimson Dragon on the XB1 and it isn't kinect only at all. It did start as a 360 game but was moved on ages ago.

SEGA is shit FACT!

Joe Redifer
05-17-2014, 05:50 AM
What is this 4 years nonsense? You introduced that phrase into the conversation only to confuse and deceive! That is because the Xbone is soooo weak that it probably couldn't even run a 360 game if you inserted the disc! OOOOoooooo!!!

Escaflowne2001
05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
It started as a XB360 game years and years ago and quietlly disappeared because no one had Kinect on the 360 and was moved to the XB1 as a optional kinect game. Hence the 4 years ago when it was cancelled for the XB360.

Don't blame me that your easily confused. :P

Joe Redifer
05-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Just looked it up and it got not-so-great reviews. They even said the music was pretty boring. Oh, and microtransactions which even if you don't need them of course are never annoying at all. Looks like they just can't do it without the imperceptible and omniscient of Sega (not all caps, by the way).

Maybe I will buy it later used. OH SNAP I can't do that either! Assholes can't even afford to release a real version of their game.

Nem
05-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Maybe they'll add a little mic in the controllers. But I will miss waving my hands in front of me to navigate. It took longer and I didn't care about the OS but man it was great!

Not to worry if its something you really want Reality. I dont think the kinect is gonna disappear, but just like motion controls, it might slowly be on the way out. The bundle with the kinect is also gonna be available. So, if you really want to pay the extra for hand waving, you can.

Also, not to worry on another front. Sony and Microsoft are sure to come up with new gadegets to keep things lively. Seems like focusing solely on games isnt something any company wants to do. Seriously, they have learned nothing since the days of the mega cd and 32X. They keep on trying to do it.

Joe Redifer
05-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Sega Mega CD was actually a success as was the PC Engine CD.