PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One Production Could Temporarily Cease

Reality
04-26-2014, 04:27 PM
http://www.maximumpc.com/xbox_one_production_could_temporarily_cease_2014

oo much supply and not enough demand
Microsoft has revealed its financial results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014. During an investor call, the company reported that there was a gross revenue of $20.4 billion for the period of January 1 to March 31, 2014 with a net income of $5.66 billion, Gamasutra reported. While the Xbox One was not the primary topic of discussion, implications were made that Xbox One production might cease or slow down in the coming months.

According to Microsoft, 1.2 million Xbox One consoles were shipped globally in addition to 800,000 Xbox 360s within the third quarter. Last week, Microsoft had announced that five million Xbox Ones had been sold to retailers but didn’t provide any numbers as to how many of those consoles were sold to consumers.

While the Xbox One has seen impressive sales numbers, Microsoft revealed back in January that three million units had been sold to consumers, there are units just sitting on store shelves. To deal with the inventory surplus Microsoft CFO Amy Hood said, during the investor call, “We do expect to work through some inventory in Q4.”

In that same call, however, she also referred to, “channel inventory drawdown for Xbox consoles” which could mean a halt to production or slowdown of production until the stock currently sitting on shelves has been sold by retailers.

I am going to assume they already lose money on each console sold. As that is the M$ tradition. So I would think that having to stop production on top of that would be a disaster.

Joe Redifer
04-26-2014, 04:39 PM
I'd be OK with them permanently ceasing production. I can find no good reason for the console to exist.

Drunken Savior
04-26-2014, 11:54 PM
I'd be OK with them permanently ceasing production. I can find no good reason for the console to exist.

You'd rather these COD kiddies be outside? It's called 'Child Online Daycare' for a reason.

Rubeus
04-27-2014, 12:47 AM
They can for instance - lease the production line to Sony to make some more PS4s.

Sinful Sam
04-30-2014, 04:27 AM
Both consoles have hardly much content worth buying... What are these PS4 owners playing???

progmetal
04-30-2014, 06:27 AM
What are these PS4 owners playing???

Those more than 20 million games they have sold? Plenty of games, but not for everyone. Many that plays multiplats on consoles also.

Escaflowne2001
04-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Both consoles have hardly much content worth buying... What are these PS4 owners playing???

Honestly Infamous is about the only thing it's got going for it at the moment. There's been a few arcade games on both consoles but nothing really note worthy as of yet.

Nem
04-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Dreams of the future.

I bought mine for ffxiv but i havent resubbed. Been playing DW8XL on it and i still got Tomb raider... but yeah, i'm just glad lords of the fallen is coming because i tire of allthese cross gen games. Conclusion? Looking at the tech seems like we got a rushed in gen again. Unreal engine 4 only came out this year. We will only see games running on it in 2 years.

Havoc2049
05-02-2014, 01:03 AM
You'd rather these COD kiddies be outside? It's called 'Child Online Daycare' for a reason.

They all left and bought PS4's, because the PS4 is cool. :thumb-up:

Just a couple million Halo vets clinging to the dream that Microsoft will release Halo 2 Anniversary w/untouched multiplayer this fall and that 343i has learned from the mistakes of Halo 4 and that Halo 5 will be the return to glory for the franchise. :P

spider-prime
05-02-2014, 01:37 AM

I just got Spider-man 2 on it :(

BlindMaphisto
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Do you not remember how arrogant sony was before Microsoft was a real threat and how cool they were when Ms was? That's why it needs to exist.