PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Support

Escaflowne2001
04-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Looks like the XB1 will still be getting a decent amount of support from Japan at least to start with. While no new games were announced until E3.

Microsoft did release a list of Japanese developers/publishers working on the XB1.

Arc System Works
Artdink
Access Games (D4)
Atlus Japan
Intergrow
Experience
SNK Playmore
Kadokawa Games
Electronic Arts
Capcom
GungHo Online Entertainment
Qute (2D shooters)
Grounding
G rev. (2D shooters)
Cave (bullet hell shooters)
Genki
Koei Tecmo Games
Codemasters
Konami Digital Entertainment
CyberConnect2 (Naruto)
Cyberstep
Silicon Studio (developed Bravely Default)
Zoo
Square Enix
Spike Chunsoft
Sega
Tango Gameworks
2K Games
Take Two Interactive Japan
D3 Publisher (Onechanbara)
Nippon Ichi Software
Hamster
Bandai Namco Games
Bandai Namco Studio
From Software
Bethesda Softworks
Marvelous AQL
Mages
Moss (almost certainly will be Raiden V)
Yukes
Ubisoft
Land Ho
Level-5
Warner Entertainment Japan

Nippon Ichi, Atlus Japan and Level 5 are quite surprising.

Looks like the XB1 is still gonna be the home of 2D shooters again much like the XB360. Even better now because every single one will be region free instead of just a few.

Badrats Studio
04-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Looks like the XB1 is still gonna be the home of 2D shooters again much like the XB360. Even better now because every single one will be region free instead of just a few.

That, and also a select few of simulation games too I hope. Region free is a bliss.

Rubeus
04-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Wonder if Namco Bandai's going to throw in another Tales exclusive to Xbox one?

Joe Redifer
04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see how well it does, but we all know it probably won't do too well.

Rubeus why don't YOU run Magicbox main page now?

Escaflowne2001
04-26-2014, 03:24 AM
It doesn't need to do fantastic. I XB360 did better then the XBox as Japanese gamers have started to buy western games slightly better. Even though still it wasn't successful it was still supported right up until recently by niche developers/publishers.

Nem
04-26-2014, 03:42 AM
All this time, Bethesda was a Japanese developer.

The things we learn every day. :P

Quite honestly, i dont believe a word Microsoft says these days. Its proof or gtfo. No propaganda for me thx.

Escaflowne2001
04-26-2014, 08:28 AM
All this time, Bethesda was a Japanese developer.

The things we learn every day. :P

Quite honestly, i dont believe a word Microsoft says these days. Its proof or gtfo. No propaganda for me thx.

This was posted for Japanese gamers and guess what Bethesda has a Japanese division. :P

Your always so negitive though.

Icarus4578
04-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Yes, but just because those companies announce support doesn't necessarily entail quality support. Think Capcom and Konami on the N64. Then again, what do most of these companies do nowadays that's relevant?

Escaflowne2001
04-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Relevant to you most likely not since you don't seem to like anything. Relevant to me sure since alot of these developers do RPGs and 2D shooters.

Icarus4578
04-27-2014, 07:51 AM
I still enjoy shooters but wish there was less bullet hell. Nothing really stands out in the RPG category.

When games like Resident Evil, Street Fighter Alpha, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night, Warhawk, Silent Hill, Tekken, etc. first came out for the PlayStation, they made an impact on the industry. How often does that happen today with regards to Japanese development?

Escaflowne2001
04-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I think Dark Souls would fit that category quite nicely.

To be honest not every game needs to make a huge impact on the industry to be something special. Some games like Nier for example are never going to have that kind of impact and it wouldn't be the same game if they aimed for that.

I usually prefer the games that are under the radar and obscure so I'm not really the best person to ask.

Icarus4578
04-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Gaming shouldn't be about popularity contests or anything of the sort, but Japan's influence in the industry has been on the decline for awhile now. I believe it's due to globalization efforts and skyrocketing production costs, resulting in solvency and outsourcing/acquisition. Japan is at its best with smaller, more focused dev teams, not huge productions akin to Hollywood studios. It shouldn't require 100, 200, 300+ people just to develop one video game.

Escaflowne2001
04-27-2014, 01:18 PM
I agree. :)

Badrats Studio
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Rubeus why don't YOU run Magicbox main page now?

I second this.

Dj Jimmi Zero
04-29-2014, 02:34 PM
I still enjoy shooters but wish there was less bullet hell. Nothing really stands out in the RPG category.

When games like Resident Evil, Street Fighter Alpha, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night, Warhawk, Silent Hill, Tekken, etc. first came out for the PlayStation, they made an impact on the industry. How often does that happen today with regards to Japanese development?

All those games you listed have only gotten better with their sequels. Tekken Revolution is FTP now, and better than it's ever been. Order of Ecclesia is the best of all things Castlevania, the only game that actually trumps SotN. Warhawk is better on the PS3, I'd never go back to the PS1 original, but it is available on PSN if you want it. Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 are also better games, not as "scary" as the first games before 4, but if that's a problem, play Dead Space or RE:Revelations. Alpha 3 is available in the PS1 classics, but you can always play SFIV honestly, even though it is a slower game, or SFIII if your heart desires. Who cares about making history and when was the last time you actually chose to have fun playing a video game Icarus? Who cares if the Japanese aren't on top anymore, they don't need to be, they still make good games and some of the most hated, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, etc, weren't these god awful games people wanted them to be.

Nem
04-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Wonder if Namco Bandai's going to throw in another Tales exclusive to Xbox one?

That is very unlikely given the words of Hideo Baba.

In theory a multi-plat would be possible, but he has said that the Tales series is aimed at the Japanese market first and foremost, so unless Microsoft showers them with gold, i dont see it happening.

Escaflowne2001
04-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Maybe a PS4 exclusive first and then ported to the XB1 later with extras, that would be interesting.

Joe Redifer
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
All those games you listed have only gotten better with their sequels.

I disagree. Metal Gear Solid is still the best in the franchise. I gave it up when they put blondie in charge of MGS2 because Solid Snake's fee was to high or some shit. And then the rest got all convoluted and confusing. Tried MGS4 and got bored pretty quickly. MGS1 for the win.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is the best metroidvania and the ONLY one on an actual console. If you like things on a teeny tiny screen with tiny buttons and a tiny d-pad then I guess the others are OK. I have them all but I'll be damned if I can keep track of them all. The names mean nothing. Order of Excelsior? I don't even know which one that is. GBA? DS? Is it the most recent one? No way to tell since the industry doesn't use numbers any more because somehow they're evil.

Warhawk is online multiplayer only, right? That's just dumb. PS1 version any day.

Escaflowne2001
04-30-2014, 03:31 AM
I played the GBA/DS Castlevania's with the XB360 controller it felt so much better then when I played them originally on the GBA.

The three on the GBA are better then the DS ones, I didn't really like Order of Ecclesia unfortunaly like alot of DS games they added gimmicky touchscreen additions that do nothing for the game but annoy.

Dj Jimmi Zero
04-30-2014, 01:30 PM
OoE was the best to me, Shanoa was just as capable as SotN Alucard and Aria of Sorrow Soma, something Konami seemed to have screwed up over time with the first 2 DS games and Portrait of Despair. Not that those are bad games, but I gotta give it to OoE, it's the only game that didn't feel stale, I had fun using all the different souls in that game, something I haven't been able to do on the previous games, I even finished it on level 1 hard mode, and that ain't easy.

Havoc2049
05-02-2014, 12:47 AM
The three on the GBA are better then the DS ones

QFT!!!

Cool that shumups are sticking with the Xbox platform.

If marketed correctly, I could see Titanfall possibly selling a few Xbox Ones in Japan.

The original Xbox actually had a fairly good launch in Japan with the Dead or Alive 3 and Halo CE one-two punch.

Icarus4578
05-03-2014, 11:32 AM
All those games you listed have only gotten better with their sequels. Tekken Revolution is FTP now, and better than it's ever been. Order of Ecclesia is the best of all things Castlevania, the only game that actually trumps SotN. Warhawk is better on the PS3, I'd never go back to the PS1 original, but it is available on PSN if you want it. Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 are also better games, not as "scary" as the first games before 4, but if that's a problem, play Dead Space or RE:Revelations. Alpha 3 is available in the PS1 classics, but you can always play SFIV honestly, even though it is a slower game, or SFIII if your heart desires.

That's your opinion, so be it.

Who cares about making history and when was the last time you actually chose to have fun playing a video game Icarus?

If I handed you a copy of Barbie's Magical Vacation for the NES, would you say that it's fun? Could you, should you force yourself to enjoy it? More to the point, do you believe that you're entitled to an opinion, whereas I'm not?

Who cares if the Japanese aren't on top anymore, they don't need to be, they still make good games and some of the most hated, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, etc, weren't these god awful games people wanted them to be.

Who cares if the Japanese aren't on top anymore? I do. Gaming was at its best back when they were on top. Now they outsource almost everything. I for one miss the imagination, the risk-taking, the fun. Japanese developers still make good software now and then, of course, but ...it's just not the same. The 3D, the globalization efforts (i.e. trying to appease everyone), the extraneous costs to develop, the corporate stranglehold over creative direction, have all had an adverse effect on the industry. Oh, and the death of the arcades.

Dj Jimmi Zero
05-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I voiced my opinion as fact, and it's true, this isn't to say that I don't enjoy classic games or something new, because I certainly do. However, the newer games in all the long running series we all loved are still doing fine, some better than ever.

Should Barbies Magical Vacation be a good game, I probably would enjoy it, if it's a shitty game, of course I'm not gonna like it.

The Japanese outsource like we outsource, God of War is great, but it ain't Devil May Cry, like Ninja Gaiden isn't DmC, or Bayonetta not being Batman: Arkham City. All of them are good games, all of these games were "outsourced" in some manner or another.

Icarus4578
05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I voiced my opinion as fact, and it's true, this isn't to say that I don't enjoy classic games or something new, because I certainly do. However, the newer games in all the long running series we all loved are still doing fine, some better than ever.

You mean true to you. I'll tell you what. If I had to choose between one game that could be completed in just 15-30 minutes but had high replay value vs one which offered 15-30 hours of play but offered little or no incentive to back through it after it's done, I'd choose the former any day. The former is true of much older softs and the latter much of the newer. I can play games like Legendary Axe, Space Harrier and Ghouls N' Ghosts today and they'll be just as much fun as when they first came out. However, with contemporary offerings, I'm inclined to play them, maybe all the way through if warranted, and then relegate them to the shelves, never to be touched again. Why? New software tends to be less accessible, more time-consuming, too cinematic, and too focused on the artificial (e.g. achievements, multiplayer, DLC, etc.).

Should Barbies Magical Vacation be a good game, I probably would enjoy it, if it's a shitty game, of course I'm not gonna like it.

This statement simultaneously answers and succinctly conflicts with the question you posed before:

...when was the last time you actually chose to have fun playing a video game Icarus?

If I feel that a game sucks, how can I force it to be something it's not?

The Japanese outsource like we outsource, God of War is great, but it ain't Devil May Cry, like Ninja Gaiden isn't DmC, or Bayonetta not being Batman: Arkham City. All of them are good games, all of these games were "outsourced" in some manner or another.

Which, quite frankly, I find lacking. Where there's a focused team of developers working on any one game, it's far more likely that the game produced will have a distinct look and feel. More of a hands-on approach, if you will. The industry needs to stop trying to ape Hollywood and get back to its pure essence.

Dj Jimmi Zero
05-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Multiplayer, achievements, and movie crap is optional these days, and I can play a long game for 100's of hours, hell, I speed through Chrono Trigger every now and then. I can also put 100's of hours into a game like Beatmania IIDX. Should the game be compelling enough, what era or what type of game doesn't matter as long as it's fun.

The last gen encompassed all of what was good and bad about video games up to now, and it's still pushing ahead, I used to be just like you too Icarus, then I realized how stupid I was for refusing to play newer games out of some stupid pact to my nostalgia.

When I mentioned the last time you chose to enjoy a game, I meant not going into bitch mode playing uncharted or something. Knowing you don't like that type of game but dealt with the same bullshit during the Playstation era and loved it, even though the primitive functionality of it all was a haphazard attempt at doing the best within the limits of the respective system. Yes, I think that you truly refuse to acknowledge the good things recent games and console have to offer, you played Hard Corp Uprising yet? Probably not because you're still hung up on the Megadrive outing.

The industry has it's essence, you just don't want to acknowledge that because nobody is making video games exactly the way you want them to. They ain't making them the way I want them to be made either, but I'd be a damn fool to bitch out because of some rose tinted glasses.

With that said, I realized that it's a bit silly to derail the topic, but seriously Icarus, you're not gonna enjoy your hobby or help the problems you have with the game industry by bitching about shit you don't like when you hardly check out what's been around lately.

Havoc2049
05-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Man Icarus, you missed out last gen. Soooo many awesome ports of older Sega Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast games. What was awesome, they made them even better with online multiplayer.
Running through Gunstar Heroes, Golden Axe, etc., online with a buddy with chat was awesome.

Also, soooo many awesome indies these days with awesome classic gameplay. I've probably put in 40 or so hours into TxK on the Vita, with its addictive old school shmup gameplay and online leaderboards that keep me coming back to improve my score.

Also, why discount multiplayer? It is fun and adds tons of value to games.

Icarus4578
05-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Multiplayer, achievements, and movie crap is optional these days, and I can play a long game for 100's of hours, hell, I speed through Chrono Trigger every now and then. I can also put 100's of hours into a game like Beatmania IIDX. Should the game be compelling enough, what era or what type of game doesn't matter as long as it's fun.

That much is obvious.

The last gen encompassed all of what was good and bad about video games up to now, and it's still pushing ahead, I used to be just like you too Icarus, then I realized how stupid I was for refusing to play newer games out of some stupid pact to my nostalgia.

You're working off the bare assumption that I don't play anything modern which is simply not true. Granted I don't own either the new MS or Sony consoles, but then I don't think I'm missing out on much. I played Killer Instinct on XB1 and it was a turd-burglar.

When I mentioned the last time you chose to enjoy a game, I meant not going into bitch mode playing uncharted or something. Knowing you don't like that type of game but dealt with the same bullshit during the Playstation era and loved it, even though the primitive functionality of it all was a haphazard attempt at doing the best within the limits of the respective system. Yes, I think that you truly refuse to acknowledge the good things recent games and console have to offer, you played Hard Corp Uprising yet? Probably not because you're still hung up on the Megadrive outing.

See, this is where the conversation derails. You know nothing about me, so why are you arguing on baseless assumptions? I own Hard Corps Uprising and while it's an alright game in and of itself, it doesn't have enough of that Contra 'feel' that I've grown accustomed to. Also, the art/animation is off-putting and the soundtrack is total meh. The Contra I got for the Wii DL was much better, if a little on the short side. Honestly, Konami hasn't come close to matching the quality of The Alien Wars. Perhaps you can chalk that up to the core dev team leaving to form Treasure.

As for PlayStation, it's still good but not as much now as then. To its credit, at least I don't have to pay some stupid tacked-on fee in order to unlock a character or a costume.

The industry has it's essence, you just don't want to acknowledge that because nobody is making video games exactly the way you want them to. They ain't making them the way I want them to be made either, but I'd be a damn fool to bitch out because of some rose tinted glasses.

Hindsight is 20/20. Rose-tinted glasses implies that I'm looking back at something and believing it to be better than it actually was out of nostalgia. But since I can readily verify the quality of older softs right now, that argument is rendered moot. Besides, I never said that I hate all new software, only that I miss the old Japanese stuff.

With that said, I realized that it's a bit silly to derail the topic, but seriously Icarus, you're not gonna enjoy your hobby or help the problems you have with the game industry by bitching about shit you don't like when you hardly check out what's been around lately.

I don't resort to making up stupid crap about other forum members in order to "win" a debate.

Man Icarus, you missed out last gen.

Just for X360 I've got Street Fighter X Tekken, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Final Fantasy XIII, Forza Horizon, Devil May Cry, Dead Space 2 & 3, El Shaddai, Tomb Raider, Gears of War 2 & 3, Alan Wake, Batman Arkham Asylum (game of the year edition), City and Origins, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Raiden IV, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Persona 4 Arena, Resident Evil 5, Mirror's Edge, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Eschatos, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Darksiders, Raiden Fighters, Otomedius Excellence, Asura's Wrath, Fable II, Bayonetta, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden II, ESP Galuda II Black Label, Bullet Soul, Akai Ka Tana, Mushihimesama II, and some other shooter that I don't know the name of. As well, I've got over 200 games downloaded to the system, from classics to indie stuff.

Yeah, I missed out last gen.

Soooo many awesome ports of older Sega Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast games. What was awesome, they made them even better with online multiplayer.
Running through Gunstar Heroes, Golden Axe, etc., online with a buddy with chat was awesome.

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Also, soooo many awesome indies these days with awesome classic gameplay. I've probably put in 40 or so hours into TxK on the Vita, with its addictive old school shmup gameplay and online leaderboards that keep me coming back to improve my score.

Cool.

Also, why discount multiplayer? It is fun and adds tons of value to games.

I don't discount multiplayer; I just don't like how it's become the focal point of almost everything. Solo-player is where it's at, unless it's a fighter or something. Besides, when they inevitably close down the servers for those multiplayer games, what then?

Icarus4578
05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh yeah, I also tried out the new Strider on my bro's XB1. It was pretty good, if a tad repetitious, but take that with a grain of salt as I only played into the 2nd stage.

Havoc2049
05-04-2014, 12:10 PM
You're working off the bare assumption that I don't play anything modern which is simply not true. Granted I don't own either the new MS or Sony consoles, but then I don't think I'm missing out on much. I played Killer Instinct on XB1 and it was a turd-burglar.

Disregard my post then. :haha:

phknrocket1k
05-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Seeing Level 5 on this list makes me wonder if TFLO might be resurrected. It was one of the most dissapointing cancellations of all time.