PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to use Xbox One user data for marketing research

Rubeus
10-08-2013, 02:37 PM
M$ marketing VP slipped out the fact that Microsoft wants to sell Xbox One user data to marketing research, and another dude came out to deny it. It's pretty clear why Kinect is mandatory, it's served as a living room surveillance device to collect user data.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128462-Microsoft-Corporate-VP-Says-Xbox-One-Can-Reshape-Marketing

Microsoft has conflicting viewpoints on how to use Xbox One's Kinect in regards to marketing research.

Many potential consumers have worried over the Xbox One's Kinect -- whether it will always be on, what information will be collected, and what Microsoft will do with that information. Microsoft set out to rectify the situation, assuring people that the Xbox One was not designed with advertising in mind. However, Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft corporate VP in marketing and strategy, delivered a speech at the Association of National Advertisers Masters of Marketing Conference in Phoenix, Arizona, contradicting Microsoft's earlier statements.

In the speech, Mehdi hinted at the possibility of Xbox One user data being made available for market research. Trade publication Advertising Age published a report based on the speech over the weekend. The report said Mehdi's speech addressed possibilities in increasing consumer expectations for production values in advertising due to Xbox imaging technology. Examples included gamification of advertising and consolidating attention that is currently spread out among several technologies (games, TV, and internet). Mehdi said the Xbox One could help in understanding a consumer in the "360 degrees of their life."

"We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox," Mehdi said. "It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

This news comes after Albert Penello, Microsoft director of product planning, responded to questions on NeoGAF about the company's plans for advertising. Penello said although the Xbox One Kinect features could be used for advertising, nobody was working on that. "If something like that ever happened, you can be sure it wouldn't happen without the user having control over it. Period."

Drunken Savior
10-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (since Microsoft has been switching their policies around a lot) but as I recall, the Kinect isn't mandatory to have on at all times anymore. It still comes packaged with X1 but it no longer needs to be plugged in for games (that don't require the Kinnect) to run.

Rubeus
10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Isn't it like you have to have Kinect connected when you startup your Xbone, once the game is loaded you are free to disconnect it (for games that don't require it)?

Joe Redifer
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
That would be a horrible scenario. So yeah, that's probably the way it works.

Drunken Savior
10-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Isn't it like you have to have Kinect connected when you startup your Xbone, once the game is loaded you are free to disconnect it (for games that don't require it)?

I've never heard of that, but to be frank, I've been more interested in the PS4 and it's easier to remember what the current policies around the PS4 are in comparison to the X1.

Havoc2049
10-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Why would Microsoft need Kinect to collect user data to sell to market research companies?

If they want to see what games I play, movies I watch, TV shows I watch, web sites I visit, etc...they can do that without the Kinect.

spider-prime
10-11-2013, 03:28 AM
Why would Microsoft need Kinect to collect user data to sell to market research companies?

If they want to see what games I play, movies I watch, TV shows I watch, web sites I visit, etc...they can do that without the Kinect.

But, they can't tell if you're masturbating to them!

Reality
10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Its not surprising. This is just the type of age we live in. This was no doubt set up with a always online console in mind but they'll make do with what online activity they do get from time to time.

Joe Redifer
10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
This is just the type of age we live in. .

That doesn't make it OK. The more easily we roll over, the more willing those will be who would take advantage of us.

Reality
10-12-2013, 03:51 AM
I do agree. I was reading about how Google will start using people's Google+ accounts to make real time ads. There is always something new coming out to take advantage of the consumer's privacy.

Nem
10-12-2013, 05:33 AM
At this point it was to be expected. Only a dumbass doesnt realise the way Microsoft and other big american companies work.

Doesnt make it alright at all ofc. Spying without consent is essentially illegal. I bet they slip that in on the never ending user agreements though.

Sulblazer
11-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Right or wrong, that's just how it is. If we are embracing these kinds of technology, then we also run the risk of having these technologies used in ways that compromises our privacy. I'm personally not worried about Microsoft peeping in on me with their Kinect. Considering the PR disaster they'll have to face if they get caught, the formidable competition that is Sony's PS4, and the throngs of watchdogs who will be monitoring every bit of information that goes in and out of their Xbone...I would imagine that Microsoft will tread very lightly with the scope of functionality of the Kinect. So, Microsoft doesn't concern me. It's the hackers...who will invariably find a backdoor or some shit who concerns me. Last thing I want is some stranger peering into my family's living room without anyone being the wiser. I don't distrust Microsoft...because I can easily hold them accountable, I distrust all you online, computer-wiz bastards out there! I gather a lot of you are a lot smarter than me...so because of that, I'm sticking with the PS4 this next gen. That's right, I'm a PS4 person cause I'm more retarded than the rest of you.

bujeezus
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
hahaahahahaahaaaa!!!

Icarus4578
11-09-2013, 09:25 AM
If you caught someone peeping into your house, wouldn't you consider that an invasion of your privacy? Why then would you knowingly surrender your private life to a public entity, particularly one with the track record of Microsoft (remember PRISM)?

Ernst
11-09-2013, 10:21 AM
But, they can't tell if you're masturbating to them!

Haha.

Fuck it all.