PDA

View Full Version : SSD failed on me...

Sulblazer
09-08-2013, 03:41 AM
So I had a Samsung SSD go bad on me...and have since moved back to using old-fashion spinner drives. I must have gotten spoiled by the SSD seek time, cuz the pc lag is pretty noticeable and annoying now. Before I head out and find another SSD...has anyone here have any experiences with the Seagate Momentus XT HDD+SSD hybrid drives? They're suppose to give pretty SSD comparable access speeds. Write speed is suppose to be the same as any other spinner though.

spider-prime
09-08-2013, 04:39 AM
I've been wondering that myself. I just never bought one cause I know I would fill those suckers up pretty fast, so I didn't see them worth the cash.

da missinlink
09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I have not had any experience with hybrid drives.

Since SSDs came out, I generally go with dual drives. That way I can house programs/OS on the SSD for faster booting and smoother running. Yet, it still gives me a solid amount of storage space on the old school drive.

Drunken Savior
09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Hybrid drives are just old fashioned platters with a SSD cache. The benefit is that you'll definitely get very similar boot times (since the most used files are on the cahce and quickly accessed) compared to a regular SSD, but the inexpensive GB/$ ratio of a HDD, along with larger sizes. I'm planning on taking out the Samgung 830 256GB SSD out of my laptop and replacing it with a 1TB Seagate SSHD (I don't think they call them Momentus anymore) and moving the SSD to my tower to host the OS and Programs.

Just remember that all SSDs and HDDs are not equal, even among the same line. Make sure you TEST your HDD or SSD as soon as you purchase it to see if any problems or anomalies exist to save you the hassle and chaos down the line.

Sulblazer
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the tip, Drunken. I had a similar setup in my tower. The SSD had all the programs and a 2tb as storage....downloads, pictures, music, etc.

Not sure why the SSD failed. My guess is heat...since I keep my system on nearly all the time and the tiny fan I installed to move heat away from the SSD died about a year ago. I don't hold it against Samsung though. I'd definitely purchase another Samsung SSD and take better measures to care for it.

I was thinking about getting the seagate hybrid and plopping it onto my laptop as well! The overall reviews are pretty good. I'll keep ya'll posted with the hybrid should I buy it.

Drunken Savior
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Late last year I read a report that said that SSDs have a lower return rate than HDDs, I can't remember where though. But the problem with that is how both drives fail. SSDs will tend to just stop working, while HDDs will exhibit signs of failure, allowing the user to take precautions.

Post here when you get the drive! Or better yet, post a screenshot of your CrystalDiskMark (http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html) results so we can see the read/write speeds you got with the hybrid.

Zachalmighty
09-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Older SSD's will also fail if you attempt to disk degrag them. SSD's have a limited number of writes but should be able to read infinitely. Meaning you would be able to pull data off but not put data on.

Drunken Savior
09-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I tried to find numbers on the number of writes SSDs can do to see if it's really that big of a deal. It's all handled by the controller, but in my 30 minute internet search (thorough, I know :P ) I couldn't find anything concrete.

Sulblazer
09-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Post here when you get the drive! Or better yet, post a screenshot of your CrystalDiskMark (http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html) results so we can see the read/write speeds you got with the hybrid.

I will, for sure! Nice program, btw. I downloaded it and tried it out. Easy to use and understand. Thanks for that. I'll post my results if I get the hybrid.