PDA

View Full Version : Kinect No Longer Mandatory For Xbox One (But Will Still Come With It)

Drunken Savior
08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Kinect No Longer Mandatory For Xbox One (But Will Still Come With It)
JASON SCHREIER
Today 5:13pm

Another backflip? Back in May, Microsoft said that you'll need have the motion-sensing Kinect plugged in at all times in order for your Xbox One to function, but now they're reversing course once again.

We already knew that you could turn off the Kinect, but now Microsoft says it doesn't have to be plugged in at all. Speaking to IGN, Microsoft's Marc Whitten shared the news that the Xbox One will indeed work without Kinect.

"That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor," he said.

Asked just how "off" the Kinect can be, Whitten answered totally off.

"You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue."

This is yet another entry to add to the list of stunning reversals in Xbox One policy made by Microsoft over the past few months. In June, Microsoft switched course on Xbox DRM, and they've flipped on all sorts of other policies since then.

Microsoft has said they have no intentions of selling an Xbox One without Kinect, so the Kinect is still mandatory in that sense. But Microsoft has changed their minds once or twice before.

The Xbox One will cost $500, Microsoft has said. That's with the Kinect. For comparison, the PS4 will be $400. The Wii U premium package costs $350.

UPDATE: And here's Microsoft senior exec Albert Penello, posting on NeoGAF about the flip. (Bolded emphasis mine)

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Teh great Microsoft backpedal continues!

Good news for tinfoil hat users everywhere who were afraid that strangers wanted to look at them!

Reality
08-12-2013, 08:42 PM
It's pretty funny how much damage control thy have been trying to do since E3. One can only wonder how much over time the development team has been getting in order to have these change of plans ready for lunch. To me though, the biggest joke is that they thought all these restrictions were features people would want.

Paper exe
08-13-2013, 03:33 AM
The fact that they are blocking must countries in the worlds just for the love of it will always place Microsoft lowest in my opinion.

What the heck, why are the blocking us or anyone in the matter? Just decide they don't want us to play video games and they don't want our money?! This is crazy!

Many said it before in DRM and pretty sure they'll say it now "it doesn't effect me so I am fine with it"
While I say by you supporting Microsoft and their practices you are actually harming and effecting me (since Microsoft blocking me from playing video games) so screw you and your Microsoft.

I hope both Microsoft and who ever buy their xbox one dies and go to hell.

Yes yes this deserve a thread of it own but I know I'll rage and trash talk everyone with slightest sympathy for xbox one. This is a sensitive matter for me and unbelievable too. Blocking whole regions!! what the hell, it is not REGION FREE anymore Microsoft you freaks!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/microsoft-cant-tell-us-if-the-xbox-one-is-region-free-or-not/

No no no don't even start it with me. if they had anything good to say they wouldn't dodge the clear questions three times and when put in a corner completely refuses to answer. My God how rude can they get!?

Escaflowne2001
08-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Basically if your in one of the 21 countries you fine and it's region free if not your fucked. Hopefully they'll do a kinect-free bundle.

Icarus4578
08-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Microsoft is the most wonderful company and the Xbox One will reign supreme. Everybody around the world is going to own one. Wait, actually, everybody will own at least two. They've made the world of gaming a better place.

THANK YOU, MICROSOFT.

http://media.2oceansvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/man_throwing_money.jpeg

CHA-CHING!

Black Jesus
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Is it ok for me to just go ahead and just lump this fuck up of a console into the same category as the wii u? Horrible? Compared to the ps4...this machine is uselss...in every was imaginable from both the hardcore and casual gamers point of view as I see it. I'm dead serious when I ask this...is they just one advantage ill have over a p4 compared to buying an xbone? its like they are trying on purpose piss us off. I serve my country. The fact that I can't buy an xbox in the us, take it overseas with me where ill be stationd for the next 4 fuckin years and play when I want without having to pray I'm in the right region is sad. Id be pissed if I'm on patrol and my wife sent me that new gta7 only to find out id have wait another 3 and a half years before I got back to activate it. I can't wait til these launches are over with... I hope ms dies this gen... might give nintendo the balls to step up and rethink making a real console for a change...

Ernst
08-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Very humorous because the X Bots who blew a fuse at the Micro$oft backlash kept arguing that the Kinect being mandatory was a GOOD thing because it would make it a requirement when developing, thus it wouldn't be underused and a mere gimmick like the Playstation Eye. Too bad for them =(

Rubeus
08-13-2013, 10:27 AM
At least Microsoft is trying to go to the right direction, but the reputation damage is already done. I wonder if they would introduce a Kinect-less Xbox One Basic Set when it launches?

Nem
08-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm waiting for step two: dont bundle it with the console.

Really, even if they did it i'm already so disgusted with them that i wouldnt even consider buying one anyways.

Boo hoo microsoft. So you let us actually turn off our own stuff. How incredibly generous, allow me to not bow at that generosity. Arrogant pricks.

progmetal
08-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Add to this that they now include a headset. :)

Didn't know what they were thinking back then, when they weren't bundling a headset.

Joe Redifer
08-13-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't know what IR Blasting is but it sounds... great?

Nem
08-13-2013, 03:46 PM
The PS4 also brings a headset. Coincidence?

Lets be honest here. Microsoft craps on us customers. They will try to get away with whatever they can. If it doesnt work they will adjust to whatever Sony offers. That doesnt send a message at all...

spider-prime
08-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm buying Twelve MILLION Xbox ones now!

Drunken Savior
08-13-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't know what IR Blasting is but it sounds... great?

Infrared blasting. Basically having IR Blasting on means you can turn it on with a remote control of some sort.

Escaflowne2001
08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Very humorous because the X Bots who blew a fuse at the Micro$oft backlash kept arguing that the Kinect being mandatory was a GOOD thing because it would make it a requirement when developing, thus it wouldn't be underused and a mere gimmick like the Playstation Eye. Too bad for them =(

...because that worked so well for the Wii controller.

Joe Redifer
08-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Infrared blasting. Basically having IR Blasting on means you can turn it on with a remote control of some sort.

Sounds pretty exciting. Much better than that clutzy ol' bluetooth controller.

Icarus4578
08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
The Kinect will never be welcome in my house. Same goes for TVs with cameras built into them. How stupid must a person be to actually pay to bug their own house?

Sulblazer
08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah! Stupid! If I get bugged, I want it for free...and not know where it is!

Escaflowne2001
08-14-2013, 11:18 AM
The Kinect will never be welcome in my house. Same goes for TVs with cameras built into them. How stupid must a person be to actually pay to bug their own house?

:lol:

Newsflash no one cares what your doing.

spider-prime
08-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey! I care. I love every single one of you. I have cameras in all your bathrooms.

Badrats Studio
08-15-2013, 03:45 AM
spider ! I demand you to delete what you saw in there at 11:23 PM yesterday !

zechin
08-15-2013, 04:54 AM
It's normal to shave your legs Badrats

Drunken Savior
08-15-2013, 06:28 AM

What about cell phones with cameras? How do you know Obama's not inside your cellphone RIGHT NAO!?

Icarus4578
08-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Oh great, now I'm scared. Guess I'll have to start sleeping with the doors open again. "Mommy, I heard there's a scary man living inside our cellphones."

RRRRRING!

"NO! DON'T ANSWER IT!"

Joe Redifer
08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
LOL like cell phones are knowing for having consistently good enough connections to stream video. That's how you can be sure Obama's not inside the phone. Also I'd notice it on my phone bill for extreme data usage. :)

Icarus4578
08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Wouldn't the more telltale sign be your battery life depleting faster than it should?

It's like what Donald Fagen said in an interview. These days, everywhere you go people are staring into their palms. They're palm people, like something out of a sci-fi flick.

Beam
08-18-2013, 12:34 AM
.....................now waiting for that magical day of a price cut. i never early adopt.

Einhander
08-18-2013, 05:42 AM
Hey! I care. I love every single one of you. I have cameras in all your bathrooms.

How'd you get a camera in my Korean bathroom?

Drunken Savior
08-18-2013, 08:11 AM
How'd you get a camera in my Korean bathroom?

http://i.imgur.com/vBMUGqm.jpg (http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/cafe-owner-secretly-records-900-women-in-coffe-shop-toilets.html)

calintz
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
i think spider's cam is from inside the toilet

Einhander
08-19-2013, 12:58 AM
The poor bastard!

spider-prime
08-19-2013, 02:32 AM
I love watching the anus sphincter open up and all that flowy goodness comes out.

Drunken Savior
08-19-2013, 01:35 PM
I love watching the anus sphincter open up and all that flowy goodness comes out.

http://i.imgur.com/3fij5G8.gif (http://i.imgur.com/DOjssKR.gif)

Icarus4578
08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Welcome to The MagicBox Forums, where we discuss all things video game-related.