PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One’s Game Recording Features Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

Drunken Savior
08-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Xbox One’s Game Recording Features Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members
By Phillip Costigan August 7, 2013

Game DVR, the Xbox One’s system for recording and uploading footage from users’ games will be restricted to Xbox Live Gold members.

This comes from an Xbox Live features page on Xbox.com, which lists features like SmartMatch, NFL on Xbox, Xbox One’s TV Guide feature and, crucially, its Game DVR feature as Xbox live Gold specific features.

We contacted Microsoft to get confirmation that Game DVR features would indeed be limited to Xbox Live Gold members. Microsoft responded, saying “I can confirm that Game DVR features will be available to Xbox Live Gold members only.”

Microsoft’s Game DVR allows Gold members to record up to 5 minutes of in-game footage for editing and upload to the Xbox live service. Players can also save the last 30 seconds of a game instantly during times when pausing the game may not be possible, such as during an online multiplayer match.

Sony’s Share feature for PlayStation 4 allows users to record and upload up to 15 minutes of footage and is not restricted to PlayStation Plus users.

Microsoft’s Xbox One will release this November at a price of £429/€499.

Not really surprised...but jesus fuck Microsoft, are you even trying?

Joe Redifer
08-08-2013, 03:07 AM
This all but assures that the HDMI output will be flagged on not able to be recorded. You can easily record Xbox 360 HDMI video but not PS3 HDMI video (because it's flagged). Sucks for those who want to edit the footage, Xbox Live or not. Of course neither system will have any analog video out, god forbid.

Drunken Savior
08-08-2013, 04:05 AM
Yeah, it kind of irks me that I had to buy component cables for the PS3 when I wanted to stream/capture it.

Reality
08-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks like you'll be able to capture, edit and stream on the PS3 without being a Plus member.

joystiq.com/2013/08/08/ps-plus-not-required-to-record-and-stream-ps4-games-says-yoshida/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Joe Redifer
08-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, but who wants to edit ON the console? Well actually I imagine that's fine for some people, but I need to take that shiz into Final Cut Pro or whatnot.

Drunken Savior
08-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Actually the concern will be how BAD some edit jobs will be using simple tools on a console over something like Premiere, Vegas, or FCP.

http://i.imgur.com/VWc0bWQ.jpg

Joe Redifer
08-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Pffft those same kids would do the same shitty transitions in a real editing program. Newbs usually love making every transition "stand out".

Escaflowne2001
08-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I can't imagine having a XBONE without a gold membership anyway.

Drunken Savior
08-09-2013, 01:14 AM
That's depressing. Xbox Gold membership was one of the reasons I left XBox and went to PC. People who are happy to be paying for Xbox Gold memberships are also the type of people who buy crappy $20 6' HDMI cables at Best Buy. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/6'+HDMI+Cable/2648583.p?id=1218342637879&skuId=2648583&st=hdmi&cp=1&lp=5)

Escaflowne2001
08-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Not really there is a reason why Xbox live is so much better then PSN Network. Getting games first or exclusive over the PS3. At £35 for 14 months it's hardly expensive either.

Drunken Savior
08-09-2013, 01:20 AM
I'd rather keep the $50 and buy an extra game a year. If you've been a Gold member since 2006 paying $50 a year, you've given Microsoft $400 for it. Tack on the cost of the Xbox 360 in 2006 and it's ridiculous. No thank you. We all chose how to waste our money and that is just not for me.

Joe Redifer
08-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I really don't see how Xbox Live is better than the PSN. I guess you could bring up little things like cross-game chat, but WGAF? With PSN, you don't need to pay for the service to use apps like Netflix and friggin' Facebook.

Escaflowne2001
08-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Well I can only go by Europe but there are quite a few games that PSN doesn't get but XBox live does. Even the ones that are on both the PSN versions end up being delayed even things like The Walking Dead were massively delayed. That sort of thing.

Joe Redifer
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't care much about delays. I mean the WiiU JUST NOW got Earthbound. Before it was a timed exclusive on the SNES. No game needs to be played right now immediately oh my god I'm gonna explode.

Escaflowne2001
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
:kefka::kefka::kefka:

Sinful Sam
08-11-2013, 01:44 AM
I used to pay for Xbox live but I waited for online specials such as $25 for a year. I recently stopped it because I hardly played online anyway, but it really sucks now I can't use apps like Netflix on it. You have this hardware that is capable to doing this at no additional cost and restricting the consumer from using it is a huge blow.

Badrats Studio
08-11-2013, 03:58 AM
You have this hardware that is capable to doing this at no additional cost and restricting the consumer from using it is a huge blow.

Greed. That's what it is.

Drunken Savior
08-11-2013, 06:36 AM
I used to pay for Xbox live but I waited for online specials such as $25 for a year. I recently stopped it because I hardly played online anyway, but it really sucks now I can't use apps like Netflix on it. You have this hardware that is capable to doing this at no additional cost and restricting the consumer from using it is a huge blow.

Putting Netflix behind a paywall is just an absolute kick in the scrotum. Microsoft can try to justify charging for Xbox Live since some of the services are using their servers to facilitate the service, but Microsoft does jack shit to allow you to use Netflix, it's just 'one more reason why you should pay for Xbox Live.' Talk about fucking the customer with a carpenter's file.

Reality
08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I would agree.. Live has some great services and features but only for those who pay the premium. I too don't use it though. I think it's a waste of money when I dislike it's community so much. And I would never pay a online fee just for the privilege of paying a second monthly fee to watch digital content on it (Netflix). I'll do that for free using a Roku!