PDA

View Full Version : Secure Interneting For the Lazy: LastPass, the Password Organizer

Drunken Savior
07-16-2013, 01:05 AM
RM0fzHxMASQ
LastPass Video

OuJ4_QwNUiM
Review

Websites that contain our personal data getting hacked is pretty much expected now. You can try to reduce your digital footprint, but that's really going against the current. You can keep a physical notebook of all your unique complex (20+ alphanumerical characters) but if you don't have access to that book, it's pretty much useless. Or you can just adopt very unsafe measure, such as using the same password for multiple accounts, having small passwords that are easy to remember, but that's begging to have your entire defense destroyed if even one site loses your password information. Or, even worse, just rely on the site's ability to remind you of your password through really bad questions such as "What city were you born in?"

So really, the best we can really do is make our passwords 'not worth the time' to decrypt them if our encrypted data is ever stolen. Assume that it can be hacked, assume that someone will have access to your encrypted password.

What Lastpass does is create an online database that takes your encrypted data (it's encrypted locally on your machine) of the passwords you register and lets you access them using your 'Last Password.'

I've been using it for month now, after redoing my entire collection of passwords online to do my best to make decrypting my passwords a nightmare, and LastPass helps me remember these long passwords.

Anyways, here it is if you'd like to look into it: Download LastPass here (https://lastpass.com/)

If you do decide to use it, I recommend you do 3 things:

-Set LastPass to require you to log into it after your browser closes so no one can just access all your passwords by using your computer (or if you accidentally forget to sign out at a public arena)
-Use the onscreen keyboard to login, not your physical keyboard, to protect against any keylogging
-Create a schedule for backing up your passwords in a text file that you put on a small, USB drive that you can store at home just in case the LastPass servers go down.