PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Exec Don Mattrick leaves.

Reality
07-01-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/01/don-mattrick-leaving-xbox-for-zynga/

Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business President Don Mattrick (the head of Xbox) is leaving the company, reports AllThingsD. Citing multiple sources, he'll be heading for a top job at Zynga, with an announcement coming as soon as today.

Mattrick's move to Zynga could be what that company needs and one that may be a blessing in disguise for Microsoft. Zynga has struggled since its IPO, hemorrhaging talent and shutting down studios.

Meanwhile, at Microsoft, there's a reason we call it the Xbox One-80 now. A fresh face couldn't hurt.

We've reached out to Microsoft for a statement.

Zynga has replied with a "no comment."

Looks like removing the DRM was a political move. Its possible Don was asked to either step down or leave.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/01/don-mattrick-named-zynga-s-new-ceo/

Don Mattrick has been named the new CEO of Zynga, the social games company just announced in a blog post. He starts next week.

"Going forward I'll continue in my role as Chairman and Chief Product Officer," said outgoing CEO Mark Pincus. "I'm excited to partner with Don and the rest of our team to return Zynga to its leadership role in inventing and growing Play as a core human experience."

Before his departure, Mattrick was the president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, handling products such as the Xbox One. Prior to Microsoft he served as president of worldwide studios at Electronic Arts.

Leaping from the frying pan into the fire, Mattrick will now have to pick up the pieces of Zynga, which has struggled with departures and sweeping layoffs.

Update: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has e-mailed employees regarding Mattrick's departure saying, "Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry. The strong leadership team at IEB and their teams are well positioned to deliver the next-generation entertainment console, as well as transformative entertainment experiences, long into the future."

Update 2: Don Mattrick's email to Zynga staff has been posted. "I joined Zynga because I believe that Mark's pioneering vision and mission to connect the world through games is just getting started. As Mark was recruiting me to come here, I was impressed by his creativity, drive and the clarity in which he sees the future of games and entertainment as a core consumer experience."

So in short Microsoft Studios' creative director Adam Orth got fired when defending "always online" restrictions in a unprofessional level. No such thing as bad publicity eh? Shortly afterwards the actual console is announced and the rumors surrounding a always online system are true.

The general gaming public backlashes and Microsoft faces a very real possibility of losing its costumers to Sony. In a move that surprises everyone they kiss and make up with their fan base. Making Don Mattrick write a personal apologetic toned letter about removing it and allowing more freedom on the system. Then he leaves the company.

This is going to be a fun generation to watch!

Drunken Savior
07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Best E3 in ages...

spider-prime
07-02-2013, 01:53 AM
lol I love the drama.

Escaflowne2001
07-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Haha! no surprises here. He was a dead man walking.

Icarus4578
07-02-2013, 11:50 AM
lol I love the drama.

Too bad it's for all the wrong reasons. I remember when the 'drama' at a game show was about the games, not corporate politics. When we need to protest on a massive scale because our rights to ownership and privacy are being threatened, it doesn't bode well for this industry.

Nem
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
All hands abandon ship!!! Captain goes first!

Einhander
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
They should rename it the Xbox Titanic.