PDA

View Full Version : Titanfall (XB360/XBone)

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Respawn Entertainment's debut game has leaked ahead of its planned E3 reveal next week.

It's called Titanfall and is a PC and Xbox One and Xbox 360 first-person shooter, according to the latest issue of Game Informer magazine, spotted by NeoGAF user Cartman86.

Cartman86, who posted the cover image, said the Xbox 360 version is being developed by another studio, and the multiplayer-focused game uses the Cloud extensively.

According to another NeoGAF poster, the Cloud will provide Titanfall with unlimited dedicated servers, add AI to the mix, will handle complex physics calculations and make for quicker and more accurate matchmaking. According to Respawn, Titanfall wouldn't be possible without the Cloud.

"After a bitter split with Activision and Call of Duty Respawn debuts its bold vision for next-gen multiplayer," reads Game Informer's cover.

The Titanfall artwork on the cover of the magazine shows a woman blasting a mech, which is in keeping with existing reports about the game.

Other snippets from the preview: Titanfall will be released in the spring of 2014, is built using Valve's Source Engine and includes mech and ground combat (with the mechs called Titans and player characters called Pilots).

Publisher EA snapped up Titanfall after Call of Duty co-creators Vince Zampella and Jason West were fired from Infinity Ward. The game looks set to go head to head with Bungie's Destiny - published by EA's bitter rival Activision - next year.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/1/5/8/6/6/8/7/137052521399.jpg

calintz
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Campaign Multiplayer, "traditional" multiplayer mode, and a "One-Player Mode".
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots (male and female)
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Modified Source - "Rewriting major portions of it".
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
- Progression system. No details yet

MORE STUFF

A lot of the article has to do with Respawn's origins, actually.

So here's the exclusivity mention: They thought working on PS4, Xbox One and PC would prove too difficult for a small team, so they decided to focus on one console instead of two. (er...). "Not to say we won't [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could."

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."

From the article about Titanfall:

"Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers."

"Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match."

Going to go dig for other gaming news before it gets yanked.

Spoke too soon, there are screenshots towards the end of the article. Smartglass integration, "some level of" Kinect support, Campaign Multiplayer, Regular Multiplayer, and some one player mode that isn't revealed yet.

From Titanfall article:

"Hulking 24-foot tall mechs concentrate heavy fire on anything that moves while lithe soldiers zip across the map with a swiftness normally reserved for superheroes"

"Legions of AI soldiers pour in and out of buildings on a large-scale battlefield as dropships deliver reinforcements from above"

Weapons of soldiers can vaporize multiple targets at once, but the mechs can repel shots back.

Blurs line between competitive multiplayer and single player.

"The titans move at the speed of a regular soldier in many first person shooters and feature an array of heavy firepower that make them formidable adversaries in open space"

Titans best offense is good defense.

Titans can be player controlled or can be commanded to guard an area or follow you around.

More to come...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578141

- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
http://i.imgur.com/Jqiiy.gif

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Well they'd be foolish to turn there back on the COD crowd.

calintz
08-21-2013, 01:43 AM
wTgtxnv61FM

tasty

Black Jesus
08-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Looks fun...too bad the xbone is dead to me...

calintz
08-22-2013, 11:46 PM
it's got a PC release

Black Jesus
08-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Console gamer at heart, and none of my real friends play on PC. Mouse and keyboard frustrate me so a game like this that moves at the pace it does, I would prolly be no good at. Certain action rpg's, pause point and click strategy games, oldschool rpgs and even mmo's... I can do fine, but fps...nah, im horrible. I tried to play CS a long long time ago and it scared me for life. That said, I prolly should invest in a controller or somethin for games like this... but then I always read that on PC mouse and keyboard players always own controller players...so I just stick to consoles when it comes to modern fps.

Black Jesus
08-23-2013, 01:30 AM
oops...

Pikachief
08-23-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm really excited for this game. The reason I prefer Halo over Call of Duty for my Xbox FPS fix is the fact that I feel like every encounter can be treated as a fight or small battle. It isn't just a match of who has faster reflexes or who see's who first. I can actually plan my approach and fight one guy long enough to even adjust my original plan mid-fight.

This game seems to be moving even more so in that area. This and Project Spark are my reasons for getting an XB1! (not really a PC guy sadly)

Havoc2049
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Console gamer at heart, and none of my real friends play on PC. Mouse and keyboard frustrate me so a game like this that moves at the pace it does, I would prolly be no good at. Certain action rpg's, pause point and click strategy games, oldschool rpgs and even mmo's... I can do fine, but fps...nah, im horrible. I tried to play CS a long long time ago and it scared me for life. That said, I prolly should invest in a controller or somethin for games like this... but then I always read that on PC mouse and keyboard players always own controller players...so I just stick to consoles when it comes to modern fps.

Playing CS as a noob requires tons a patience, as people have been playing that for years and years and the skill level is extremely high, so even if you are a skilled KB & Mouse FPS vet, you would still get owned as a noob in CS.

I wouldn't be surprised if Titanfall plays well with a controller on the PC, if you want to go that route. I used to play Halo 2 and still do every now and then on the PC with a controller and dominated and won plenty of multiplayer matches. I had also been playing Halo 2 up to that point for several years solid and I was extremely competent with the controller in Halo 2 and knew the strategies and maps like the back of my hand. Skill is more important than the input device.

progmetal
01-20-2014, 12:43 PM
leaked alpha gameplay.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19x61p_tf_videogames

Joe Redifer
01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it

Why couldn't this be done on current generation consoles? Looks like just another generic FPS game which are a dime a dozen.

Also the character in this image (http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/1/5/8/6/6/8/7/137052521399.jpg) looks like someone's mom who was in the middle of housecleaning.

Drunken Savior
01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
It's coming out for 360, Xbox One, and PC. The 360 version is just being developed by someone else.

Nem
01-20-2014, 06:10 PM
By developed, you mean ported.

I dont think they are developing a completely different game for the 360.

With that said, i really dont understand the hype for this. Doesnt have a single player, its not a persistant online world. Its just like a CoD game beeing sold with just the multiplayer for the same price.
Also, you can bet those extra maps will be payed DLC aswell. Alas... theres something with americans and guns. Everything with guns is hyped to hell.

Yes, im generalising. Dont take personal offense.

Drunken Savior
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
It's not really that new of a concept either. Titans are just 'vehicles' which have been in FPS arena shooters for awhile now.

But...whatever. It's not a genre I'm a big fan of, but at least Microsoft is catering to their core audience in the early life of the Xbox One. And I'll give them props for really pushing that 60fps goal on a genre that actually benefits from 60fps. And if it does get some good reviews, I might pick it up down the line on PC (probably not though).

stroopwafel
01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the game is clearly aimed at the COD audience. I can see right away its not for me but its good to see they atleast try and add some variety to this tired formula.

javi
01-21-2014, 03:53 AM
I played the beta for the game, and I had a blast! I don't care that it feels a little like COD. This game felt fast pace, and it surprised me that I would like it. The reason for why I say that is because I wasn't showing any enthusiasm for it before I saw Pikachief play it. It's fast pace and it does things that COD doesn't do, like driving in Mechs and invisibility. When your team loses, it doesn't end there. There is an epilog where you get a chance to run to a drop ship that helps you leave the match, if you survive and not die by trying. This game does things that are original, and loved every moment of it. And yes Joe, she does look like a mom in that pic. I was thinking the same thing.

Pikachief
01-22-2014, 03:06 AM
After playing it I have even higher expectations than I had before playing for the full game, and they were originally pretty high. While I agree the game DOES look generic, it definitely does not feel generic. It's the most hectic (in a good way) and fast pace shooter I've played in a long time :D

Nem
01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Just to check, none of you is beeing paid to say that are you?

You never know these days, when Microsoft and EA are paying people to give them good press.

EA: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755600
Microsoft: http://www.gamechup.com/microsoft-paying-high-cpm-rates-for-xbox-one-youtube-promotion/

Dj Jimmi Zero
01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Titanfall is not Xbox exclusive, it's also available on PC.

Drunken Savior
01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it's been said many times in this thread (Though not in the title. A pox on Esca!)

Drunken Savior
02-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Been playing the beta (I'm jumping from beta to beta it seems. Last weekend was ESO, this weekend: Titanfall). And my opinion is completely reversed. I actually like the vertical aspect of this game. Running around as a pilot, wall jumping, and jumping on the back of other titans is pretty damn fun. I almost rather play as a pilot than in a titan, which are slow as heck. Though it's so satisfying to kill a bunch of enemy pilots who think they can hide from my big ass mech.

Donno if I'll get it at launch, probably won't since I'm sure I can get it half off by the summer when more of my friends will have it. But this is the most fun I've had with a competitive FPS in a long, long while. Of course, the best case scenario is that I totally burn myself out on the game during the beta and won't be tempted at all to buy it until it goes on sale.

Nem
02-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Oh, did you see the light with ESO? Its terrible isnt it? I was really disappointed that they went and made a WoW clone instead of actually making an elder scrolls game online.

Why were they so afraid to apply Elder scrolls design on an MMO world? Were they afraid it would be innovative and fresh? Sometimes i dont understand MMO developers. They seem completely clueless.
I think alot of these devs that have "experience" from pre-wow games are all shit and have no clue whatsoever. Thats the problem when you value experience almost like gold in today job market. You get stuck with the retards that cruised along during the dark ages.

Drunken Savior
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
It didn't seem that spectacular. I'm not really that into the MMORPG genre. I've samples a lot of games but rarely do I put more than 5 hours into it. I did like the combat in ESO, though. But so much of it seemed very bland. The problem with turning these big production RPGS into MMOs (like Knights of the Old Republic into The Old Republic, and Elder Scrolls games into ESO) is that they all seem like bland versions of their single player counterparts. And those two examples, in this case, seem to heavily promote a single player experience for most of the game...making it a bland single player RPG.

Nem
02-16-2014, 12:04 AM
For me the last drop was when i entered a building and the whole thing was empty bar a desk and the npc i had to talk to. I remember thinking that if it was skyrim, there would be shelves, carpets, stuff on the walls and npc's walking by. None of that on that game. Its bare bones.

zechin
02-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Really enjoying the beta, but for some odd reason whenever there is a map change the game starts giving frame rate issues. The first game I always play is as smooth as a baby's bottom. 2nd map and onwards it just does a nose dive. :/

Drunken Savior
02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
o5kZ4hfxwiM

Shit gets wacky in this game quickly. This happened to me last night. Reminded me of Dragonball Z fights.

Drunken Savior
02-17-2014, 09:33 AM
8g66npr2tZE

One thing I like about this game is how fun it is to be a pilot. The wall running really adds a level of verticality to the game that, I feel, separates it from militaristic FPS games.

Drunken Savior
03-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Well I just played through the two campaigns. Pretty good launch with a few hiccups (apparently the game servers went down in the early morning today for two hours or so). Enjoying it so far.

spider-prime
03-12-2014, 07:05 PM
That's not the response I was looking for! I want

HOLY SHIT DEWDS! YOU MUST BYE THIS GAME!11?!/!?!?!KLJFOSDUF)(#! OR ELSE I WILL EAT YOUR PUPPY!

cause you didn't give this, I now know the game sucks.

Drunken Savior
03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SLQJc.gif