View Full Version : Microsoft to unveil new Xbox on May 21

Pages : [1] 2

Drunken Savior
04-24-2013, 03:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3V2agrA.png

Gentlemen, start your bitching.

spider-prime
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I can't wait to see a windows 8 tablet with Xbox on it!

Nem
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
weird that they do it 2 weeks before E3.

Joe Redifer
04-24-2013, 09:02 PM
The only thing to bitch about is that there's nothing to bitch about until they actually unveil it.

Beam
04-24-2013, 11:16 PM
As I said before whatever happens happens. But Microsoft wants to concede the upcoming generation to Sony, I'm pretty sure they'll listen to us gamers. Well they might decide to neglect it like they do with their windows phone platform.

Pikachief
04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
weird that they do it 2 weeks before E3.

Just like what Sony did, except Microsoft's timing makes more sense to me. They show the console and the console details, and then at E3 they can focus more on pointless apps and Kinect games.

Ya know, to build up momentum for teh hypes and what not.

Nem
04-24-2013, 11:43 PM
If you ask me, they will pretend to care for 2 years cause we are the early adopters and then they will show us the middle finger and focus on the casuals again. They need to make a really compelling case to fool me again.

Beam
04-25-2013, 04:46 AM
I always wait until at least the first year is or after the first console revision before I usually buy.

Escaflowne2001
04-25-2013, 07:04 AM
If you ask me, they will pretend to care for 2 years cause we are the early adopters and then they will show us the middle finger and focus on the casuals again. They need to make a really compelling case to fool me again.

I've been loving the XB360 since it's come out to be honest and I've never felt once that Microsoft has ignored my gaming needs. Sure I've been enjoying the PS3 aswell but I'm finding that I'm playing it less and less. This year for example I've finished 28 games on the XB360 and only pulled myself to finish 6 on the PS3.

I'm much more stoked to hear what the next Xbox is going to be like then I was about the next Playstation. On top of that with like *70% of Japanese development moving to handhelds, I see the PS4 offering less as time goes on.

* Made the number up

Badrats Studio
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
If this new Xbox is using Windows 8 (or modified version of it), I can't see my self buy one because there's always a PC option then.

Xbox and Xbox 360 was using proprietary OS. I think it's the best to make it separated (since I'm sure previous Xbox's and PC are too similar in architecture but still different each other)

Nem
04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
I always wait until at least the first year is or after the first console revision before I usually buy.

Me too. :) Its a good policy. Usually its the time when the new console has enough games available to justify the purchase.

I've been loving the XB360 since it's come out to be honest and I've never felt once that Microsoft has ignored my gaming needs. Sure I've been enjoying the PS3 aswell but I'm finding that I'm playing it less and less. This year for example I've finished 28 games on the XB360 and only pulled myself to finish 6 on the PS3.

I'm much more stoked to hear what the next Xbox is going to be like then I was about the next Playstation. On top of that with like *70% of Japanese development moving to handhelds, I see the PS4 offering less as time goes on.

* Made the number up

Unless you're a gears, forza or halo fan, there was nothing of note on the 360 exclusivity list for years. All their resources were pooled on dumb kinect games. I say that aprehensivly because on another forum to say that kinect is crap seems to be folly. I'm sure you guys here will see reason though.

Escaflowne2001
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Also Sony Europe needs to work hard on the PSN Network when it comes time for the PS4. It's become abit of a joke or farce on the Playstation forum as to how long the next game is going to get delayed compared to the Xbox live release. There approval system is apprantly the stuff of nightmares.

Icarus4578
04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Gentlemen, start your bitching.

Why should I waste my time worrying what other people do with their money? If people want busted software, DRM, DLC, day one patches, constant hardware updates, temporary licenses of use, cameras/mics to spy on them, etc., hey, have a party.

thesoftware6180
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Cant wait to see.

Beam
04-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Me too. :) Its a good policy. Usually its the time when the new console has enough games available to justify the purchase.

Unless you're a gears, forza or halo fan, there was nothing of note on the 360 exclusivity list for years. All their resources were pooled on dumb kinect games. I say that aprehensivly because on another forum to say that kinect is crap seems to be folly. I'm sure you guys here will see reason though.

so yeah I'll still be playing both my 360 and ps3 for the next few years. My policy is if a console launches and I want said console at launch it must meet a certain criteria for me. 1. It must have at least four to five games that I like. 2. It must not look like some sort of hospital equipment like the fat ps3 did. 3. Reasonable price point.

thesoftware6180
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Why should I waste my time worrying what other people do with their money? If people want busted software, DRM, DLC, day one patches, constant hardware updates, temporary licenses of use, cameras/mics to spy on them, etc., hey, have a party.

Sounds almost like PC gaming to me lol.

Icarus4578
04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
More and more both console and PC gaming are becoming one and the same thing. Already you can buy plenty of PC softs via digital download on console, not to mention how most software is non-exclusive to any one platform in order to maximize profit. About the only major difference is that you can upgrade your PC architecture.

I really don't see the reason for having three major consoles when over 90% of software is non-exclusive -- it defeats the purpose.

Drunken Savior
04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I really don't see the reason for having three major consoles when over 90% of software is non-exclusive -- it defeats the purpose.

The epiphany I had in 2008 that led to my decision to be a PC gamer first and a console gamer second. It just so happened to that in 2009 I was looking to replace my old 2001 PC tower. In the end, I still got a 360, PS3, and Wii for some exclusive titles and backwards capability. But looking back, there was really only one single game (http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/restricted_content/restricted_content_agegated/ref?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockstargames.com%2F reddeadredemption%2F&hash=acfa2dee2d95e7e615ac4bb7535949b6) that never made it to PC that I still hope, albeit with virtually no optimism, will make it to PC someday.

Icarus4578
04-28-2013, 03:50 PM
The cross-platform thing became industry standard right around the same time, so that makes perfect sense. These days, you're better off picking out just one console to compliment your PC lineup ...and even then it's only if you personally care for whatever few exclusives are available.

spider-prime
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
It's what I do, I buy on the PC first before consoles. I only buy games that only come out on the consoles. That and the fact that on steam I can get them for around 5 dollars or less a game during sales :D

I'm going to be upgrading my PC soon during the summer, waiting for a sale, I'm going to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM. I might upgrade my video card if a better one is on sale and if my brother wants to buy my 560 ti.

I might just go for a geforce 680!

Icarus4578
04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Knw1TCxsLmc

The Geforce 680 is technically very impressive, at least from my observation. That's probably similar strength to the upcoming consoles.

thesoftware6180
04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Not to turn this into anything, but that is why a lot of nintendo fans like nintendo systems. its always a completly different feeling than any of the other consoles and PC. Not just games but interface and the way they do things, its nintendos gift and curse.

On topic: I like multiplayer gaming with friends, 90% of the time its people i actually know. That is where my deilema of PC gaming comes in, I barely know anyone who has a strong enough PC to run most of the new games. Compared to PC its like every 2nd person I know has a home console and don't play on PC.

Drunken Savior
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
On topic: I like multiplayer gaming with friends, 90% of the time its people i actually know. That is where my deilema of PC gaming comes in, I barely know anyone who has a strong enough PC to run most of the new games. Compared to PC its like every 2nd person I know has a home console and don't play on PC.

And that should be a big factor for you, as it is for me. As time went on, I started to know less and less people who played on consoles and were switching to PC. Perhaps it was living in the dorms when I was at UCSC...all my friends were tech nerds who built their own PCs and played games that way. Now a lot of them work at Google and take massive vacations twice a year....clever bastards.

And even though most of the PC gamers from MagicBox have left the forums, I still speak/game with them all the time!

spider-prime
04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
I was the same way, but I made friends over games. I talk to at least 100 of the people all the time on my steam friend list.

zechin
04-28-2013, 11:25 PM
I used to be the same way, but now I find my self going in the opposite direction. I find myself more drawn to single-player experiences now. There's just too much drama and I get that's just the nature of multi-player gaming and how 'gamers' tend to be. I do like that there are the few odd civil ones who do keep to themselves.

But I personally just play to have fun - It's nice to play with friends and stuff, but I try not to lose sight of the bigger picture, and don't go 'you suck' to everyone whether it's competitive multiplayer or co-op, because whether it be for selfish reasons or not, the main reason I do play is out of a selfish reason - to just have fun. So when I see people thrive on that drama it just puts me off playing games in general. Elitist culture, whatever. And it's not like I really want to get to know anyone like that either.

But like anything - trust has to be earned. Hence I do choose to only play with people I trust and I don't get upset at others for not playing with me either, neither am I desperate to have others play with me. I play for my owns reasons and still maintain a passion for games, but it's more a form of escapism rather than my "life's work". It's not to connect with anyone, it's just to have fun.

To be blunt - self-entitlement can eat a dick and I'm not after appraisal. It's like watching a movie, you 'should' watch it to form your own opinion and because you're interested in it, to see whether you appreciate it. Not to be 'socially accepted'.

There was this guy I met before at a party, and he told me he was a 'shoutcaster' for league of legends with a smug look on his face, expecting me to be impressed, and in my head 'I'm like yeah whatever dude - so what'. Another friend of mine who works in the IT department on campus met this guy who was asking him whether he could get free internet for him or not. His reasoning 'because I'm a professional gamer' with a smug look on his face.

So I feel my response to most people who expect others to feel impressed or to be impressed by people like that.

ZC3wXwaGYlA

spider-prime
04-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Those are the guys I love to own in multiplayer games!

Without them, I wouldn't have any fun at all. They rage quit so much!

During Starcraft 2 game, some guy thought he was awesome cause we were in a 8 player FFA and he took out everyone but me, he was only using Vikings, but I was building immortals to counter him and he was such a dumbass, he didn't know that immortals take out vikings, I wiped him out in 20 secs of his 100 vikings with just 12 immortals :D so I go to his base to wipe the rest of him out....... and he is still building vikings! lol He kept bragging before this how he was going to wipe me out like he did everyone and kept making fun of everyone about how elite he is lolol

He wanted a rematch, but I wouldn't give it to him just for the sake of driving him nuts :D lool

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm not really a fan of online gaming. I just mostly get annoyed and not want to try it again. I try to just stick with friends only.

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm not really a fan of online gaming. I just mostly get annoyed and not want to try it again. I try to just stick with friends only.

Badrats Studio
04-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Here's hope they will using consumer-friendly hard drive this time.

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:18 AM

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:33 AM

Sinful Sam
04-29-2013, 04:34 AM

stroopwafel
04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah we get the message. :p

The only multiplayer game I ever enjoyed was the Interceptor mode of NFS Hot Pursuit. So amazingly fun. Getting people to that point of rage-quit....priceless! :D Though many to most who played that game were cool though.

zechin
04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Those are the guys I love to own in multiplayer games!

Without them, I wouldn't have any fun at all. They rage quit so much!

During Starcraft 2 game, some guy thought he was awesome cause we were in a 8 player FFA and he took out everyone but me, he was only using Vikings, but I was building immortals to counter him and he was such a dumbass, he didn't know that immortals take out vikings, I wiped him out in 20 secs of his 100 vikings with just 12 immortals :D so I go to his base to wipe the rest of him out....... and he is still building vikings! lol He kept bragging before this how he was going to wipe me out like he did everyone and kept making fun of everyone about how elite he is lolol

He wanted a rematch, but I wouldn't give it to him just for the sake of driving him nuts :D lool

lol wow

calintz
04-29-2013, 10:20 PM

spider-prime
04-30-2013, 04:09 AM

tee hee

Quasar
04-30-2013, 05:15 AM
What they said, cause it's true.

SavedFromSin
04-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Dj Jimmi Zero
05-01-2013, 12:15 AM

Badrats Studio
05-01-2013, 04:45 AM
LOL @ Sam's multiply posts. Yeah yeah I know it was because the lag :D

Pikachief
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM

yea, you can say that again!

progmetal
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Lolol

http://www.robleydesign.com/misc/MI3-Kazification.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7V0mHao.gif

Nem
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Well. i guess the GIFS will die out now.

The new remedy game was the only remotely interesting thing there.

Also lol at them showing CoD:Ghosts. Newsflash people, that game will be on PS4 aswell.

As were on the topic, how is everyone's throat feeling about a kinect getting shoved in it? Haha... i was amused. Microsoft didnt disappoint.

Also LOL at the axis of evil on stage: Microsoft+EA+Activision.

progmetal
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Too much talk about Kinect & always connected. I hope E3 will be better, but i'm not holding my breath.

Escaflowne2001
05-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Nice, I enjoyed that alot much more the PS4 presentation tbh. Looking forward to E3 should be a good showing this year.

You'll notice that the kinect device still comes as a external unit there's a very good chance that it's all totally optional as well. No mention of always online, no mention of blocking pre-owned games.

progmetal
05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
About used games:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.
Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

Always Online:

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

So not totally safe there Escaflowne.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

Nem
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Nice, I enjoyed that alot much more the PS4 presentation tbh. Looking forward to E3 should be a good showing this year.

You'll notice that the kinect device still comes as a external unit there's a very good chance that it's all totally optional as well. No mention of always online, no mention of blocking pre-owned games.

You werent listening to what the man said. He said every Xbox one will come bundled with it.

Also they will kind of block used games. You need to pay a fee if you want to play used games.

Escaflowne2001
05-21-2013, 04:11 PM
You werent listening to what the man said. He said every Xbox one will come bundled with it.

Yes I know that but it's not built into the XBox. It still looks like seperate device.

Anyway it's a shame about used games, it means the PS4 will most likely be my main console and the Xbox one for anything else exculsives, call of duty etc.

Joe Redifer
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Can someone give a rundown of the show? What's the new system called? Are there pics of the new system? I'd rather read a list of bullet-points than watch a corporate presentation. Where's DS when you need him?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just checked my Twitter feed. Dear god. Xbox One? A cable box is sexier. People who like Xbox are WRONG!

"I saw the Xbox on the news today..." GOD DAMN IT, XBOX OFF.

Rubeus
05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
This basically sums up the stuffs -- and it sort of confirms that each game ties to your XBL account, mean you have to be connected, and it won't allow used games (unless you pay a fee).

- Not compatible with Xbox 360 game discs
- Xbox Live Arcade games won’t transfer
- Gamerscore will transfer
- x86 architecture doesn’t make backwards-compatibility possible
- “The decision wasn’t ‘we need a gamebox’” – Xbox executive Marc Whitten
- Installation seems mandatory
- Statement: “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play.”
- If a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc
- Microsoft wouldn’t discuss “traditional” used-games – as in, if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra
- Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service
- This means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself
- This would necessitate the game requiring a connection
- Not forced to make games that have these online features

http://gamingeverything.com/48253/xbox-one-details-not-backwards-compatible-gamerscore-transfers-pre-owned-fee/

Nem
05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
You forgot:

Mandatory Kinect.

Just for you esca, they were kind to confirm that Xbox one wont work without kinect.

https://twitter.com/kevin__lynch/status/336911362129281024

Big brother will be watching.

Pikachief
05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
More like XBOX WON! AMIRITE GUYS??? RIGHT??? LOLOLOLOL

(seriously though, this is the most underwhelmed i've ever been for a console. does virtually nothing new, just an upgraded version of everything before with no backwards compatibility and used game fees.)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/21/microsoft-uk-xbox-one-wont-work-without-kinect.aspx

Can't function without Kinect

TheHardware
05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Xbox turn on Ps4

Escaflowne2001
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Update: Microsoft has addressed the issue of Xbox One second-hand games... sort of. When asked about the possibility of trading or buying pre-owned games on the console's official FAQ, Microsoft said, "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later."

We're not sure what that means exactly, but we're following up with Microsoft and
hope to find out more.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

Zachalmighty
05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Microsoft just post dated the death of a console.

Paper exe
05-21-2013, 06:57 PM
: /

I think they toke the worst thing of the wii (aiming to casuals) and PS3 (doing irrelevant none gaming stuff that I'll never use) and put it all in one system. It truly is "All in One" as they say.

Zachalmighty
05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
WAIT, doesn't this kind of kill Gamefly?!

Einhander
05-21-2013, 08:46 PM
This basically sums up the stuffs -- and it sort of confirms that each game ties to your XBL account, mean you have to be connected, and it won't allow used games (unless you pay a fee).

- Not compatible with Xbox 360 game discs
- Xbox Live Arcade games won’t transfer
- Gamerscore will transfer
- Installation seems mandatory
- Statement: “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play.”
- If a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc
- Microsoft wouldn’t discuss “traditional” used-games – as in, if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra
- This would necessitate the game requiring a connection

Sweet. MS just saved me a ton of money. Not touching this with a ten foot pole.

I watched the presentation but all I saw was "YOU CAN WATCH TV" before I fell asleep.

Drunken Savior
05-21-2013, 08:47 PM
- x86 architecture doesn’t make backwards-compatibility possible

At first I was like "What the fuck did the Xbox360 use if not for x86 or x64 architecture?" Turns out it was PowerPC, the same architecture used by Macs before they switched to Intel processors.

Now I bet the subsequent generations will just flop between different architectural so they can always say that 'backwards compatibility isn't possible. It's not our fault!"and nickle and dime consumers that don't know any better.

Where's DS when you need him?

I'm at a geologic convention in Fresno, CA, rubbing elbows with people developing software in conjunction with Google and Microsoft that will be available sometime next year.

Also I'm drinking a lot and trying to get hired as a GIS specialist with a 65K starting salary.

Hey, I need to find a way to pay for all these stupid consoles don't I!? Console gaming is quickly becoming a hobby for the middle class, leaving Zynga/Facebook/mobile OS gaming for the lower class.

Joe Redifer
05-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Here are my concerns. I need for you guys to address them immediately:

-500 GB hard drive. Blu-ray = 50GB. Mandatory installation. Sooooo... they don't want you to buy more than about 10 or 15 games? Or they expect people to constantly uninstall and reinstall games?

-Why the hell is there an HDMI IN port?

-The fee required to play a game tied to another account KILLS rentals, borrowing from a friend and used games. I don't know why this isn't clear to everyone. Also the console will be required to be online any time you first insert a game disc because it needs to verify the account.

-Can I turn on the Xbox One without talking to it?

-Is the Xbox One more powerful than the PS One? They are in the same generation, right? That's what I'm lead to believe.

-Will it play my VHS tapes from 1979? It looks like it will.

Beam
05-21-2013, 09:20 PM
okay as for now i'm not getting an xbox one seemingly it's just a waste of money and yeah joe is right a cable box does look better. it looks like it was carved out of wood and painted black.

Zachalmighty
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
At first I was like "What the fuck did the Xbox360 use if not for x86 or x64 architecture?" Turns out it was PowerPC, the same architecture used by Macs before they switched to Intel processors.

Now I bet the subsequent generations will just flop between different architectural so they can always say that 'backwards compatibility isn't possible. It's not our fault!"and nickle and dime consumers that don't know any better.

I'm at a geologic convention in Fresno, CA, rubbing elbows with people developing software in conjunction with Google and Microsoft that will be available sometime next year.

Also I'm drinking a lot and trying to get hired as a GIS specialist with a 65K starting salary.

Hey, I need to find a way to pay for all these stupid consoles don't I!? Console gaming is quickly becoming a hobby for the middle class, leaving Zynga/Facebook/mobile OS gaming for the lower class.
x86 really only refers to the bits. x64 was 64 bit but x86 is like 16/32. It basically means they don't want to make a software emulator for the Xbox one. Lazy pricks.

Drunken Savior
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Here are my concerns. I need for you guys to address them immediately:

-500 GB hard drive. Blu-ray = 50GB. Mandatory installation. Sooooo... they don't want you to buy more than about 10 or 15 games? Or they expect people to constantly uninstall and reinstall games?

I'm guessing since most PC games running on x86 architecture (i.e. Windows) are around 5GB (Civ V) to 20GB (Bioshock Infinite), you can expect those kinds of storage requirements for a full installation and not the full capacity of a dual layered BluRay (50GB).

-Can I turn on the Xbox One without talking to it?

With your sultry basso, I think voice is mandatory for you, Joe.

-Will it play my VHS tapes from 1979? It looks like it will.

Upcoming DLC feature.

x86 really only refers to the bits. x64 was 64 bit but x86 is like 16/32. It basically means they don't want to make a software emulator for the Xbox one. Lazy pricks.

No, it means they want you to pay for it. It's not about motivation, it's about fiscal opportunism and exploiting those who don't know any better.

thesoftware6180
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Damn this system is more confusing than the Wii U was at its unveiling.

The name is also lame ass. Xbox 720 or Xbox Infinity sounded better.

Drunken Savior
05-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah, the name is pretty bad. It sounds like someone is seriously dicking both Nintendo and Microsoft in their naming department and not giving either a reach around.

Icarus4578
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Xbox One? Who cares? Bring on the PC gaming!

Einhander
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
No, it means they want you to pay for it. It's not about motivation, it's about fiscal opportunism and exploiting those who don't know any better.

Now that sounds like something I would say!

Drunken Savior
05-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Now that sounds like something I would say!

I've been harping on the death of backwards compatibility for awhile now. ;) (http://the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28638)

Ernst
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
No way am I buying that.

thesoftware6180
05-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Xbox One Hard Drive Can’t Be Replaced By Users
USB 3.0 port supports external storage.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-hard-drive-cant-be-replaced-by-users

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One’s hard drive cannot be replaced by users.

According to Engadget, “hard drives in the Xbox One are non-user-serviceable,” though Microsoft senior director of product planning Albert Penello did confirm that the system’s USB 3.0 port will support external storage, “which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for” (including game installs and downloads).

Xbox One was announced earlier today and includes 8GB of RAM, an 8-Core CPU, a 500GB hard drive, a Blu-Ray drive, HDMI in and out ports, USB 3.0, 802.11n wireless and more

Not sure how I feel about the console's look.
http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2013/05/22/img6866jpg-5ea6bc_610w.jpg
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/xbox-720/6/6e/Img6849jpg-acbd7d_640w.jpg

Xbox One Live TV Only Available in the U.S. at Launch

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-only-available-in-the-us-at-launch

Joe Redifer
05-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Xbox Live TV sounds retarded. Why would I want to power up the Xbox AND a separate cable box/whatever that was already on to watch TV anyway? Just so the Xbox One can overlay graphics on it? Lame.

spider-prime
05-22-2013, 02:35 AM
hahhahah yahhhh no way I am buying this.

Escaflowne2001
05-22-2013, 03:41 AM
-The fee required to play a game tied to another account KILLS rentals, borrowing from a friend and used games. I don't know why this isn't clear to everyone. Also the console will be required to be online any time you first insert a game disc because it needs to verify the account.

Since it's cloud based could you log in with your account on another system and then play the game on that console as well but only while your logged in as you. Could be possible that way not sure there are alot more questions then answers at the moment.

Edit: Here's a interview with Phil Harrison at Eurogamer that answers some of your questions.

Whether or not you agree with Microsoft's ideas and goals for Xbox One, at least they are generally pretty easy to understand. The one exception today has been how game ownership works and especially the Xbox One's attitude to sharing between friends and reselling games, which has resulted in conflicting and confusing reports.

The confusion is such that as I sat transcribing and making notes four hours after I interviewed Phil Harrison earlier today, a Microsoft PR tapped me on the shoulder and invited me back to the boardroom so that Harrison could take another swing at explaining this surprisingly complex issue.

"So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game," he began. "If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

"What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [So] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

Harrison then explained what happens when you want to take that game beyond the borders of your own home and into a friend's place.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.

"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

"The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."

That makes the issue of game ownership a lot clearer than it has been at any point so far. Once you install a game, it is tied to your Xbox login, and in this way Microsoft can avoid scenarios where you buy a game, install it, then just give the disc to all your friends so they can install and play it without paying for it.

The next issue is what happens when you finish with a game and want either to trade it in at a store or sell it on in another way.

"We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said. "We're not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."

Harrison would not be drawn on how this worked, even as I suggested various scenarios. For example, I asked whether you would need to pay for the second-hand disc at a store and then pay a fee to Microsoft when you got home, a bit like an Online Pass. Harrison wouldn't be drawn.

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

I got the impression from speaking to him - entirely my inference - that this Online Pass-style scenario of paying twice for second-hand, once at retail and once at home, was not the plan. But Harrison's reluctance to pre-empt this mystery announcement means that it is still a possibility.

To me, the fact that Harrison was talking about a forthcoming announcement rather than just clarifying the detail suggests that whatever strategy Microsoft does have for this second-hand resale process may involve a specific partner. Perhaps Microsoft has done some sort of deal with GameStop or a similar retail entity.

Anyway, I took the opportunity of a second audience with Harrison to ask some follow-ups about Xbox One's always-online aspects as well.

"Some bits of the system will work offline," he said. "I think the key point to make is that Xbox One requires an internet connection, but it does not need to be connected all the time. We think that most of the biggest games on Xbox One and most of the games and experiences and services you want to use will be internet-connected."

Everybody got that? Xbox One requires an internet connection, but not all the time.

"I don't want to trivialise the issue because I know people are passionate about it, but I think most people will realise that the vast majority of content and experiences that they will want to enjoy on Xbox One will be the ones that have an online connectivity," he continued.

"I think where people have anxiety understandably is what happens when the internet connection goes down for a few minutes or a few hours. On our side, with the infrastructure investments that we as Microsoft have made in Azure and Xbox Live dedicated servers that we will have for Xbox One, we are very confident that we have the infrastructure to support all of the players and all of the connections. And although it's not directly an Xbox issue, it's something Microsoft is proven to be really good at with Office 365."

After the tape was off, we chatted some more about the anxieties that have come to light today and over the last few months of speculation. I suggested that one of the reasons that our concerns about second-hand blocking, always-online and other related issues are so acute is that we don't have any real-world Xbox One examples yet to judge it. Our touchstones are things like Diablo 3 and SimCity, which were appallingly botched launches.

Time will tell whether Microsoft can get the balance right with this stuff. Personally, I just want purely single-player games to work offline and the internet to enhance our games in transparent ways. We will have to wait and see whether Xbox One's use of cloud computation and online services muddies this situation or if the platform holder can succeed where Blizzard and EA failed.

It really seems people on the internet are having a panic over things that just aren't happening.

Ernst
05-22-2013, 04:24 AM
All I took from that was: needs an Internet connection, games lock to accounts.

Pretty much what I always thought.

Escaflowne2001
05-22-2013, 04:33 AM
All I took from that was: needs an Internet connection, games lock to accounts.

Pretty much what I always thought.

Firstly it's not always online, you just need to connect once every 24hrs. A very big difference then it always needing to be online. How many of you don't connect when you use the PS3/XB360?

Secondly the games are not tied to your console but your logins which means you can play the games at the friends or on another machine with your login details.

Second-hand games is still a mystery at the moment.

calintz
05-22-2013, 06:01 AM
KbWgUO-Rqcw

stroopwafel
05-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Well atleast it will have another Call of Duty. Can never have enough of those.

"Some bits of the system will work offline," he said. "I think the key point to make is that Xbox One requires an internet connection, but it does not need to be connected all the time. We think that most of the biggest games on Xbox One and most of the games and experiences and services you want to use will be internet-connected."

In other words: multiplayer will be the main focus with single-player relegated to 'some bits'. I get the impression that M$ is trying to make(or emphasise) a different profit model where most revenue is from fees and subscriptions rather than game sales, making the whole debacle about used game sales an eventual moot point.

I think this xbox will really represent a shift in the games it provides, from stand-alone titles to a subscription service. They just looked at what is the biggest piece of the console market(the multiplayer COD crowd) and built their system around it.

I already decided to stick with Playstation but obviously the reveal of the next xbox has done nothing to win me over. As a side point goddamn the design of that system is ugly. Looks more like an air conditioner than a console.

Ernst
05-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Firstly it's not always online, you just need to connect once every 24hrs. A very big difference then it always needing to be online. How many of you don't connect when you use the PS3/XB360?

Secondly the games are not tied to your console but your logins which means you can play the games at the friends or on another machine with your login details.

Only having to connect once every 24 hours is better, but my Internet was broke for about a week there and it was my console that kept me sane.

I rent a lot of games from LoveFilm. I wouldn't be able to do that anymore, because of their greed. Nor would I be able to get a loan of a game from a friend - because I'd need to log into his account. Ridiculous.

thesoftware6180
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM

You say this like its a good thing or somehow fine.

That means i cant let my friends or brothers borrow a game because they have to be logged in as me. That is a horrible, and how does that affect achievments? You have to pay a fee or do something extra just to be able to trade/loan your games? This will not go over well with hardcore gamers or casuals who will see that as a hassle.

As far as being connected once every 24hrs, yeah I can swing that but what about people without internet or what if someone's internet is turned off for non payment for a month or 2? That will make Xbox One a huge usless box.

I cannot belive the disaster Microsoft is turning the most sussesful last gen brand into. I'm not calling the system a failure but it sure aint looking good atm.

Ernst
05-22-2013, 10:56 AM
On the bright side, I'll never have that niggling feeling that I want one, that I sometimes had with the 360.

stroopwafel
05-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Me too! I was tempted a few times with the 360 to throw my principles overboard. First for Mass Effect 1 and then with Metro 2033. Doubt it will ever happen with Xbox one though. :p

foxhunt99
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
It is a disaster. Looks like I will go back to playstation after 8 amazing years with xbox 360.

stroopwafel
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
fun rant by angry joe:

9ekOtn7L1N0

Escaflowne2001
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I couldn't watch all that. Even though I know it's fake I wanted to punch him in the face after about 3 minutes. :P

spider-prime
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
There are a lot of places up here that still only have 56k internet. They don't have any other form of high speed internet and if they do, it's over 150 dollars a month for satellite internet that is extremely laggy.

Joe Redifer
05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Escaflowne you're grasping at some really thin straws here. Your Phil Harrison interview didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. You still can't loan games to a friend (unless you agree not to play ANY Xbox One while your friend plays the game you lent him/her). You still can't have used games (without the fee). The online once every 24 hours is pretty lame. It still means internet is REQUIRED to use the thing.

If this kind of stuff excites you, well then more power to ya. You're exactly what Microsoft is hoping we all think and feel. But you and the few others in the world who think similarly will never be able to convince the masses that the Xbox One is a good thing. Only great games that are must haves can do that. I don't care about Colladoody. Or some damn dog (Collar Duty?). If I want a game with a dog I'll play Shadow Dancer on the Genesis which is about 1,000 times better than any Colladoody game anyway.

TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV

How often were games mentioned compared to TV? They're not focusing on games this time. At least Sony has said they're focusing on games. Microsoft is going after the casual gamer/couch potato crowd. I'd rather play games than watch TV. Even the Wii U's focus on TV is pretty stupid.

Escaflowne2001
05-22-2013, 05:09 PM
But you and those who think similarly will never be able to convince the masses that the Xbox One is a good thing.

I have no intention of convincing anyone. I already have mine pre-ordered along with Quantum Break and FIFA 14 for now. So long as I get some enjoyment out of it that's all that matters to me.

Icarus4578
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Why bother with any of these new glorified multimedia hubs? What are they going to bring to the table, better graphics? Please, PCs can already do more. Can either PS4 or Xbox One run software at 120fps? Yeah, good luck with that.

Rubeus
05-22-2013, 10:04 PM
This guy could be the next one dismissed by Microsoft, but Xbox One is missing another important feature -- at least for the first year. :lol:

Xbox business head Don Mattrick said 'If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards' .

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Mattrick said only 5 percent of gamers play past-generation titles on new machines.

Thus, it would not make sense to invest time and resources into creating technology to allow gamers to play older games on the Xbox One, he said.

The Xbox One will not support Xbox 360 games and Xbox Live Arcade titles players have purchased over the years will not be compatible on the next-generation platform.

Source (http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-if-youre-backwards-compatible-youre-really-backwards-6408741)

Einhander
05-22-2013, 11:07 PM
It really seems people on the internet are having a panic over things that just aren't happening.

You mean they're *not* using crippling, anti-consumer DRM to stop people from playing used games?

spider-prime
05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
I just went out and bought another 3 more Wii Us.

I'm going to be buried in this shit!

Einhander
05-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Why?

spider-prime
05-23-2013, 02:32 AM
I love Wiis!

Joe Redifer
05-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Someone answer me these questions:

Can I buy a game for my Xbox One, install it on the system, activate it and all that crap and then take the system to a friend's cabin without internet for the weekend and play that game all weekend long? Also, will Microsoft's Xbox One activation servers be online forever? What if I want to play an Xbox One game 10 or 15 years from now? Will the entire Xbox One game library just one day be completely unplayable despite the fact that I have purchased the games? These are important questions. Xbox lovers, please answer and justify this!

Can either PS4 or Xbox One run software at 120fps? Yeah, good luck with that.

Actually, there's really no reason why they couldn't. 120Hz TVs are fairly plentiful now. 3D games that run on the PS3 and even the Xbox 360 are 120Hz games. 60 frames per second per eye (game depending). Using a bit of programming trickery you could just have both eyes be the same eye (so you won't need glasses) and there you go! Might not work with polarized 3D TVs, only the shutter kind.

Drunken Savior
05-23-2013, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of this announcement was changed by E3 due to 'confusion.'

Paper exe
05-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of this announcement was changed by E3 due to 'confusion.'

hahaha that's exactly how i feel it'll happen.

Einhander
05-23-2013, 05:53 AM
What if I want to play an Xbox One game 10 or 15 years from now? Will the entire Xbox One game library just one day be completely unplayable despite the fact that I have purchased the games? These are important questions. Xbox lovers, please answer and justify this!

These are actually pretty damn important.

progmetal
05-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Who cares what happens in 10-15 years. We might be dead by then. Live in the moment with your XBONE.

Nem
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I love Wiis!

You did that on purpose didnt you? All this talk of Wii's and Xbones is getting creepy now. xD

Icarus4578
05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Joe, yeah, maybe in about 5 years consoles will catch up. Also, if MS either shuts down their stupid cloud service or there's down time for a 24+ hour period, you won't be able to play X-BONE games, period.

Rubeus
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
By the time you can probably play all of them on your PC via emulators, emulators are your friends. :D

Icarus4578
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I seriously doubt you'll see anything on the next-gen consoles being emulated on PCs anytime soon. That said, almost every next-gen title will also be available for PC.

Ernst
05-23-2013, 01:09 PM
I guess you should stick with the PC then. But please. Don't cry and moan like all other PC gamers everytime a developer doesn't feel your enthusiasm and decides to makes the games exclusive to consoles.

Rubeus
05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

This animated gif sums up all the stuffs :)

thesoftware6180
05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I saw that yesterday, I almost fell out of my seat when I saw it. Too Funny:lol:

Drunken Savior
05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I guess you should stick with the PC then. But please. Don't cry and moan like all other PC gamers everytime a developer doesn't feel your enthusiasm and decides to makes the games exclusive to consoles.

I'm thinking this might be less of a problem this generation, continuing the trend of a common 3-way platform release for the majority of games. More and more we see games being introduced and presented by running them not on the next gen systems, but on PCs. We see consoles ditching unique configurations and adapting PC builds. And we even see games like Metal Gear Revengence and Dark Souls finding PC releases. The costs of making a PC port are getting smaller once the console versions are completed.

NA developers/publishers are already, for the most part, doing PS3/360/PC releases. JP isn't as keen on it, but it's beginning to trend in that direction. With the announcement that Metal Gear Revengence is coming to PC and the MGS HD Collection available on 360, I'm more optimistic than ever that the main MGS franchise will officially break out of its PS exclusivity and become a 3 platform franchise.

But I guess time will see if financial incentives prove my assumptions right or wrong.

Paper exe
05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/499/1553/original.jpg

Joe Redifer
05-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Joe, yeah, maybe in about 5 years consoles will catch up.

There is no way in hell that I would buy a PC just to play games. To get one that's even somewhat decent is super expensive and the graphics don't blow consoles away. Better? You bet, but not enough to justify the expense. I have no other use for a high end PC hooked up to my home theater. And that's the room I would want it in. I can't use it to edit video and stuff on because all of my stuff is Mac based. It would be absolutely pointless for me to buy a gaming PC, I see no advantage whatsoever unless consoles start costing nearly 1,700+ US dollars. So I'll live with slightly less impressive graphics.

Steam still ties games to a single account that must be verified. I installed Steam on my Mac and it came with free Portal. It was fun but it really was a pain in the ass to deal with Steam itself so I quickly deleted it. I don't know why everyone wants to suck Gabe's dick and while having a Steam-branded dildo shoved up their ass. I also remember trying something called TF2. I thought it would be awesome like Thunder Force 2 (which is what TF2 clearly stands for) but it was some lame-ass first person shooty-shoot that couldn't be played unless you were online. I do not miss Steam. And I hear Origin is even worse. The latest release of Sim City wasn't exactly a smooth experience. Why does a game like that even need to be online?

Drunken Savior
05-24-2013, 02:48 AM
A gaming PC that can run 95% of games on their highest settings doesn't cost 1.7K. It's about half that with a 660 Ti (or equivalent) and an i5 processor. Is $850 worth it for a machine just to play games? Probably not. But for me, I needed a new PC. A new PC would have been around $400-$500. Adding a nice video card to my build cost me $250 in 2009. Totally worth the expense.

So if you are planning on getting a new PC tower any time soon, it's best to look at adding a nice video card to game THEN if you're apprehensive about the cost. Of course, PC gaming is still very much for a hobbyist, or someone who doesn't mind (or even enjoys) fixing small PC problems.

And Steam does have an offline mode that works when you have your account information tied to your machine. I was able to play all my (offline) games on it without an internet connection while I was at Bryce NP in 2011.

Sulblazer
05-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Oh hell, even the 660 gtx is a decent card for less than 200 US smackeroos. I'm running a 460 gtx and it still runs nearly everything I throw at it at least 30fps in medium setting in 720p or 1080p. I think i'll grab a 680gtx if the price comes down this winter (doubt it). That should set me up for the next gen of gaming for at least the next 5 or 6 years at high settings...and longer than that at medium settings.

progmetal
05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
You mean they're *not* using crippling, anti-consumer DRM to stop people from playing used games?

You'll learn to love it in the end.

Former EA CEO: Gamers will learn to love always-on DRM (http://www.destructoid.com/former-ea-ceo-gamers-will-learn-to-love-always-on-drm-254417.phtml)

Icarus4578
05-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Ernst, no group of people are bigger crybabies than console fanboys, especially when they're going at each others' throats. PC gaming may not be for everyone, as DS pointed out, but it remains a viable option for enthusiasts.

Joe, I can understand your apprehension. We both grew up on console gaming and nothing is going to touch the magic from those 8/16-bit days. Contemporary gaming requires jumping through too many hoops and conceding control of the things we purchase to corporate overlords, which is why I'm not going to bother with next-gen gaming. I'd gladly sacrifice all the high-end performance for a console that's simple and intuitive, filled with awesome, creative software. A bonus would be if it didn't have any online component whatsoever. Just straight-up plug & play gaming. Of course that that is merely a pipe dream, because this industry caters to low-information consumers who will gladly tolerate anything for the sake of owning the newest multimedia box so that they can play Call of Doodie 7 - Modern Gaming Sucks multiplayer with the glow-in-the-dark packaging and $5 off coupon for DLC maps and weapons they'll sucker people into paying extra for.

(Nice run-on sentence, eh?)

Ernst
05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
That'd all makes sense if PC wasn't the leader of DRM.

Icarus4578
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
You must have been reading this thread with your eyes closed, otherwise you'd note all the bad policies and restrictions being rolled out for Xbox One. The lines have been blurring between the console and PC market over the past decade and now they're pretty much one and the same. Practically every piece of software made today is multiplatform by default, with mandatory online registration.

Ernst
05-24-2013, 11:37 AM
But you're pretending that the PS4 has these draconian measures in place. It just seems a bit rich to sit and decry the corporate overlords taking your rights to own your property away, and in the same sentence, telling people to buy on PC instead!

Icarus4578
05-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Note that Sony wasn't specific with regards to playing used/borrowed software. They just said that PS4 can play used games, but made no mention of restrictions. It seems highly unlikely that one console would force a fee structure in order to play used games while the other wouldn't. Simply put, if it happens on Xbox One, it's going to happen on PS4 as well, no question about it.

As far as PC gaming is concerned, it's basically the same as console gaming, except that you can upgrade your hardware and use all sorts of MODs. I'm not stating that PCs are better per se, only that they're capable of much more on a technical level. As DS mentioned, PC gaming is more of an enthusiast's market.

Either way, it's irrelevant from my perspective. The majority of today's software consists of unappealing rehashes. If and when some wise developer decides to release another true video game console with compelling, unrestricted plug & play software, then I'll consider it. Until then, whatever.

By all means, don't let me get in your way. Enjoy your multimedia tollbooth.

Escaflowne2001
05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah I agree Sony will have something planned. Otherwise it puts them at a weakness with the publishers.

Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently

Paper exe
05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I have said that a billion times before Microsoft only aim is to screw gamers, screw the consumers heck even developers when they are at it (killing arcade games in Xbox one)

tell me one thing one good thing they brought to gamers other than achievement even that Sony done a much better job!

-Online? Was there in DC/ PS2. They just made it cost money!
-DLC? was there ages ago and used to be free. they just made it cost money
-Downloadable games? SEGA done the exact same thing back in freaking 1990 called sega online only in Japan for the mega drive
-patches? PC games get them all the time only now Microsoft are leeching money from developer when ever they decide to patch and fix their games. what the heck?
now anti-used games policy?

Nothing nothing nothing of the technology they make is for me as a gamer but rather all to satisfy their greedy needs.

Drunken Savior
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Microsoft was the leader in bringing online to consoles. Yes, they weren't the first, but everyone who tried to implement before it half-assed it in a way that made it more of a niche than a feature. And at it's release, XBox Live was really the premiere online network for consoles. Microsoft absolutely deserves credit for their part in really pushing online console gaming with a robust network into a commonplace feature.

Oh hell, even the 660 gtx is a decent card for less than 200 US smackeroos. I'm running a 460 gtx and it still runs nearly everything I throw at it at least 30fps in medium setting in 720p or 1080p. I think i'll grab a 680gtx if the price comes down this winter (doubt it). That should set me up for the next gen of gaming for at least the next 5 or 6 years at high settings...and longer than that at medium settings.

Well the new GTX 700 line is just rolling out, so you might see some nice 600 line sales near the end of the year. And the new 700 line is getting some nice reviews, some even comparing it to the Titan. So keep those fingers crossed!

Badrats Studio
05-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Who cares what happens in 10-15 years. We might be dead by then. Live in the moment with your XBONE.

But I want my descendants to inherit the excitement that I had before I die :weeping:

Hey my late dad gave me some of his old days belonging that still cool in this era. Like his boyscout knife. I feel like Rambo when holding it :D

I just don't want the future relying to internet connection on everything. Especially to my collections of video games consoles :o

Joe Redifer
05-25-2013, 03:31 AM
DS, you're right. If I was going to buy a computer anyway, yeah it'd probably be worth the extra 2 or 3 hundred for a good video card. I don't foresee me buying a PC any time in the future, but we'll see if Apple makes something I want. PC's do not run Apple programs well and I depend on these programs for my livelihood. My Mac is from 2006 but I did throw an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card in there (yeah, I know that this card was pure crap even in like 1990 and most people would rather take a bullet through the nut than be stuck with such a ghetto card). I was able to run Portal and Amnesia at max settings though on my 2006 computer so I guess that's OK. Granted, those graphics were impressive maybe in 1972, not in today's high-tech world. The card also helps a lot in Final Cut Pro X, After Effects and nonsense like that which is why I bought it.

Drunken Savior
05-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Yeah, gaming on a Mac is still tricky. I remember 2000-2005 when all we got was whatever Aspyr ported over.

Today it's a little easier, with Apple switching to Intel processors. You can use Boot Camp to install Windows that will open up more games. However all Apple currently sells are Radeon HD 5870 (or two lesser cards), which is a pretty old card (2009) and, in my opinion, really not suitable for a PC with the intent of playing future games.

Things ARE getting a little better for OSX in terms of gaming, but it's still far off before Apple machines are really considered to be for gaming...if ever.

On a side note, if I still had an extra copy of Borderlands 2 on Steam, I would have given it to you just so you could install it on your Mac Pro and tell me how it ran. :P But I gave it to my cousin as a high school grad present a month ago.

I used to have a G4 tower and a 2007 Macbook. I've since replaced them, but I still do have a certain fondness for Mac hardware and OSX, which I still like more than Windows. I'm always looking for an 'excuse' for me to get a new Macbook Pro or even build a 'Hackintosh' just so I can play with OSX again since I was cutoff from updating my old Macbook after Snow Leopard. :/

progmetal
05-25-2013, 07:12 AM
But I want my descendants to inherit the excitement that I had before I die :weeping:

Hey my late dad gave me some of his old days belonging that still cool in this era. Like his boyscout knife. I feel like Rambo when holding it :D

I just don't want the future relying to internet connection on everything. Especially to my collections of video games consoles :o

Yeah it's a nice thing to have. I destroyed all my games and toys from my youth. Lol

It's a good thing the PS4 is going to be playable old school wise, without Internet connection.

Paper exe
05-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Microsoft was the leader in bringing online to consoles. Yes, they weren't the first, but everyone who tried to implement before it half-assed it in a way that made it more of a niche than a feature. And at it's release, XBox Live was really the premiere online network for consoles. Microsoft absolutely deserves credit for their part in really pushing online console gaming with a robust network into a commonplace feature.

Online play was a selling point for the Dreamcast they are the once that brough it to console AND made it commonplace hence the PS2.

I'll give them credit for downloadable games only. They made that "common place" even thu SEGA done it first.

And achievement too. I am surprised they made up something so awesome, just not Microsoft like.

Icarus4578
05-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Didn't Sega release a modem for the Sega Genesis? You can clearly see it in the back of this ad.

http://www.forsyard.com/images/19891990/genesisIntroAd.jpg

Drunken Savior
05-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Online gaming has been around for awhile. I used to play Super Street Fighter II on my SNES using an XBAND (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND). It was laggy as hell, but the fact that I could play against others online was pretty cool.

Many attempts on making online gaming commonplace were made before XBox, but Microsoft was the first to get it right by including a hard drive and a broadband modem. It was a bold move and I still remember people laughing at MS for including a broadband modem.

Paper exe
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM
no dreamcast made it commonplace. so many games where made in it short life. bomberman online, phantsy star chau chau rocket you name it. Forced sony and nintenod to make their next system online able.

microsoft only made downloadable games commonplace nothing else in the top of my head.

Icarus4578
05-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Nothing will ever beat playing with or against somebody in person, such as in an arcade. The feeling is completely different.

spider-prime
05-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Nothing will ever beat playing with or against somebody in person, such as in an arcade. The feeling is completely different.

That is fun being the best at one game at the arcades and when someone tries to beat you at it, for me it was the Marvel Capcom fighting games, they get all mad and will waste all their money trying to beat you :D

Escaflowne2001
05-25-2013, 03:02 PM
no dreamcast made it commonplace. so many games where made in it short life. bomberman online, phantsy star chau chau rocket you name it. Forced sony and nintenod to make their next system online able.

You dreamcast couldn't have made it commonplace because the dreamcast was never commonplace to begin with hence the problem. :P

Drunken Savior
05-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Ouch.

Icarus4578
05-25-2013, 04:15 PM
That is fun being the best at one game at the arcades and when someone tries to beat you at it, for me it was the Marvel Capcom fighting games, they get all mad and will waste all their money trying to beat you :D

Show-off.

Back in the day I was merely an average arcade gamer at best, far from the better guys. There was one time when this guy came in and was pretty darn good at SFII, so I kept fighting him over and over again until I finally beat him. I'm rather exceptional at SFIII. Only problem is, aside from some novelty arcades, they're virtually nonexistant. THANK YOU, MICROSOFT.

Escaflowne2001
05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Well there pretty obsolete really now. Just think of all the money you wasted on those arcade machines without ever owning the game.

Drunken Savior
05-25-2013, 05:35 PM
All those microtransactions based around a model that allowed enemies to get cheap hits to kill you quicker... ;)

spider-prime
05-25-2013, 06:06 PM
All those microtransactions based around a model that allowed enemies to get cheap hits to kill you quicker... ;)

Hey, nothing beats the arcade games where your health always lowers, so to get more health, you had to put in more quarters lol

Drunken Savior
05-25-2013, 06:26 PM
And did we bitch about it? No, we just mowed more lawns until we could beat the game! (shakes cane)

spider-prime
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
It was the natural order of gaming!

Joe Redifer
05-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I had to mow some people's lawns 2 or 3 times a day to earn enough to beat some games.

calintz
05-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Xbox One, Microsoft's next-generation console will be region-locked, a Microsoft representative confirmed with Digital Trends.

"Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," a Microsoft spokesperson told Digital Trends. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One."

Microsoft's original Xbox and the Xbox 360 were both region-locked, although the decision to release region-free games on the Xbox 360 is up to the publisher.

Nintendo's Wii U, Wii and 3DS were also region-locked, with the company's last region free console being the 3DS, which launched in 2004. Sony's PlayStation 3 was region-free, with the exception of one title; however, the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were region-locked. To date, Sony has not confirmed if PlayStation 4 will be region-locked.

We've reached out to Microsoft for more details and will update this post as more information comes to hand.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/27/4369252/xbox-one-will-be-region-locked

/facepalm

Escaflowne2001
05-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Not a surprise at all, since it's a online pass based system. To be honest though since 90% of the games are going to be western based even more so then the XB360 it's abit of a moot point really. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS4 region locked as well which would be a bigger problem tbh. Really nowadays most note worthy games are released across the world though.

Even with the PS3 being region free I haven't imported a game in years personally. Everything I've wanted has been released in Europe. On handhelds it's a bit of a different story though.

calintz
05-27-2013, 05:09 AM
fuck esca - you're like mr positive lol

Escaflowne2001
05-27-2013, 05:30 AM
There's little point in getting annoyed or angry with things I have no control over. Honestly though I'm a very easy going person.

Paper exe
05-27-2013, 05:34 AM
fuck esca - you're like mr positive lol

if anything that's the best thing about him.

calintz
05-27-2013, 06:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AJS7VHe.gif

Rubeus
05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Sony is now making fun of Xbox One with PS One, sending out E3 invites to developers in the form of golden PSone consoles. :lol:

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Golden-PSone-Invite-600x359.jpg

Nem
05-27-2013, 04:28 PM
I find it so funny how Sony is trolling Microsoft. How the tables have turned since february when Microsoft trolled Sony about not showing the system.

Escaflowne2001
05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Assuming the PS4 will likely outsell the Xbox One. It will be interesting to see in a years time where most of the sells come from in the west. Userbase vs restricted used sales.

Drunken Savior
05-27-2013, 06:40 PM
No Wii U, Esca? ;)

Escaflowne2001
05-27-2013, 06:53 PM
LOL, I honestly forgot about the WiiU but then again it barely gets the multiplatform titles now. Let alone in a years time. . . :wink:

Joe Redifer
05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Sony is now making fun of Xbox One with PS One, sending out E3 invites to developers in the form of golden PSone consoles. :lol:

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Golden-PSone-Invite-600x359.jpg

Now that's just hilarious! Is that an actual working PSOne or just something that looks like one? I want to be invited and get a free gold PSOne that will be teh super r@r3.

Escaflowne2001
05-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Jeff Henshaw, the group program manager for Xbox Incubation, has told CNET in a new interview that users will be able to switch the camera off.

"If you want privacy, we’ll give you modes that ensure your privacy," he said.

"We will have something similar for the Kinect with Xbox One. The system is designed to have Kinect be an integral part of the experience. It's not the case where you’ll be able to remove the camera altogether. But you’ll be able to put the system in modes where you can be completely secure about the fact that the camera is off and can’t see you."

This new comes after it was reported that Australian authorities revealed that they had privacy concerns surrounding the Xbox One.

"Microsoft's new Xbox meets the definition of a surveillance device under some Australian laws, so they need to be upfront and tell customers whether anyone else can intercept their information or remotely access their device," Civil Liberties Australia director Tim Vines told NineMSN.

"People should have the ability to turn off the camera or microphone, even if it limits the functionality of the machine. If Microsoft doesn’t allow that, then people should vote with their wallets and skip the next Xbox."

Are you worried about Kinect watching you?

http://www.shopto.net/news/42900/Xbox-One-Watch-Kinect-can-be-deactivated-AMD-deal-worth-3-billion/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Icarus4578
05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
MS claims that they'll ensure that you can shut off Kinect, but that's beside the point. The real question is, can MS or someone else remotely access the camera without your knowledge? I'm willing to bet they can.

The only thing funny about Sony is how they've managed to hoodwink everyone thus far into believing that their PS4 will have no restrictions on used games.

http://kotaku.com/rumor-the-ps4-has-used-games-drm-509969406

Greedy developers have no right to circumvent the first-sale doctrine. Once a company has made the initial profit, that product becomes your property.

Escaflowne2001
05-28-2013, 07:59 AM
If your really that paranoid you could just cover it up when your not using it. Not exactly difficult. Anything will do.

As for used games funny enough it already says on UK game that your not allowed to resale them it in the small print. Though it's missing from US versions of the games.

Icarus4578
05-28-2013, 08:15 AM
You're not paying for an extended rental, nor a license, despite what companies want you to believe -- you're paying full retail value to own a product. They can print whatever jargon they want and it changes nothing. You're not signing away your rights.

thesoftware6180
05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Xbox One breaks pre-order records at Blockbuster

The internet may have spent the majority of last week shouting loudly at Microsoft, but it seems that the view of the average consumer is far more positive.

Blockbuster has revealed that since its announcement last week the Xbox One has broken all previous pre-order launches in Blockbuster’s 24-year history.

“We are delighted by the huge number of pre orders that we have received so far for the new Microsoft console,” the retailer’s head of games James Morton stated.

“At Blockbuster, we have a fantastic array of adrenaline-fuelled console games for sale or rental. Our expert staff know gaming and they know consoles and these pre-orders are testament to our customers’ trust in us as a leading gaming retailer.

“With Sony releasing the PS4 in the near future, the next few months are going to be an exciting time for our staff and customers at Blockbuster and we can’t wait to hear more details from both Sony and Microsoft at the E3 Expo next month.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-breaks-pre-order-records-at-blockbuster/0116237

Paper exe
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
If that thing success then it would be the doom of gaming.

I have said it billion times before America is aiming for a video game crash 3 as the first two weren't enough for it. Now they got Europe to support their evil agenda their filthy war against the only fun thing made by human mind.

damn you Microsoft and Apple. :crying:

Drunken Savior
05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Apple?

Joe Redifer
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
How many stores does Blockbuster have left? 20?

Escaflowne2001
05-28-2013, 04:21 PM
How many stores does Blockbuster have left? 20?

They still have quite a few in the UK plus an online store. Good news eitherway, though the Xbox360 sold better then the PS3 in the UK anyway.

thesoftware6180
05-28-2013, 10:02 PM
They still have quite a few in the UK plus an online store. Good news eitherway, though the Xbox360 sold better then the PS3 in the UK anyway.

I thought the UK was Sony territory?

Either way this will be an interesting holiday season.

Paper exe
05-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Apple?

Yeah if anything the IOS games are the main threat and what likely gonna kill gaming as we know it.

Drunken Savior
05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
No it's not. All it'll do is siphon away the casual customer base from the Wii U that Nintendo thought were loyal Wii gamers.

progmetal
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/j8zsaRA.png

http://i.imgur.com/HAt3lJA.png

http://i.imgur.com/9xfEOxL.jpg
lol

http://i.imgur.com/txxjWOx.jpg
Sony and MS are listening to GAF's twitter bombing guys, so don't worry about they blocking used games.

http://i.picpar.com/Gwp.jpg

lol

Escaflowne2001
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah if anything the IOS games are the main threat and what likely gonna kill gaming as we know it.

You've been listening to Nintendo to much they seem to be the only one scared of Ios games but the platform is to limited.

BlindMaphisto
05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
If your really that paranoid you could just cover it up when your not using it. Not exactly difficult. Anything will do.

As for used games funny enough it already says on UK game that your not allowed to resale them it in the small print. Though it's missing from US versions of the games.

It has a built in microphone that listens to you while the system is off. They said this much when they announced that you will be able to turn the system on with voice commands.

spider-prime
05-29-2013, 07:21 PM
I will laugh that when the Xbone comes out and people find out that it does transmit data though the Kinect back to MS.

Icarus4578
05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
It's no secret that those built-in cameras/mics on computers, laptops, tablets and phones can be remotely accessed. A video game console with an internet connection is no different.

Einhander
05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
I won't even go in a house that owns one.

Escaflowne2001
05-30-2013, 03:41 AM
Paranoia Anonymous.

...and what exactly are they going to see and hear that I should be so worried about?

stroopwafel
05-30-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't know, but just the thought they can makes me really uncomfortable. Same reason I don't like to sit in my house with the lights on and curtains open. :p

Icarus4578
05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Let's put it this way Esca. Would you object to someone standing outside of your home, pointing a camera into your window? Yeah, obviously that would be disturbing. So then, why would you invite a corporate entity to do the same thing from within your home and with a microphone to boot?

progmetal
05-30-2013, 08:25 AM
They also have a patent to use Kinect to monitor that you don't have too many people watching a Blu-Ray movie.

spider-prime
05-30-2013, 09:04 AM
They also have a patent to use Kinect to monitor that you don't have too many people watching a Blu-Ray movie.

yup, I just read that and that would be the final straw for me if it makes it into the final model, especially when it would tell you to upgrade your license by buying it so more than 3-4 people could watch too.

Drunken Savior
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
I hope the new Xbox does listen in on it's users and display ads in line with their 'supposed' interested. All those kids calling me 'Jew Faggot' should get a lot of great ads! :D

Escaflowne2001
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't know, but just the thought they can makes me really uncomfortable. Same reason I don't like to sit in my house with the lights on and curtains open. :p

Really? wow I do that all the time. The thought never really crossed me mind.

Let's put it this way Esca. Would you object to someone standing outside of your home, pointing a camera into your window? Yeah, obviously that would be disturbing. So then, why would you invite a corporate entity to do the same thing from within your home and with a microphone to boot?

Some weird stalker/perv taking pictures through my window isn't quite the same i'm afraid (I had a stalker once LOL). Since my game consoles are in my bedroom and it's always super hot. I usually play games wearing very little, they'll soon get fed up of watching if they feel like it. To be honest I doubt they take actual pictures and more like just data. How many people in the room, how long you play, what you play etc.

Havoc2049
06-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Day One purchase for me.

Badrats Studio
06-03-2013, 02:27 AM
The safest thing for the Xbox One owners is to plug out the power cable while not using it. I'll do that if I ever have one.

Sinful Sam
06-03-2013, 02:52 AM
It sounds like Kinect is detachable. I would disconnect when not in use.

Escaflowne2001
06-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah the kinect comes as a separate unit by the looks of the picture.

Nem
06-03-2013, 09:03 AM
It has been stated that Kinect is required for the console to function. You cannot detach it.

Icarus4578
06-03-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130529/13032423241/microsofts-next-great-patent-xbox-achievements-watching-advertising.shtml

Ha ha.

Escaflowne2001
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
It has been stated that Kinect is required for the console to function. You cannot detach it.

They mean when your not using it.

Joe Redifer
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
How can the Kinect camera detect heartbeats?

Also, I think they should play commercials in game. Like during loading sequences.

Escaflowne2001
06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
A mandatory break after every 20 minutes of gaming with an ad break.

javi
06-05-2013, 03:25 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/xbox-one_zps77fd9345.jpg

Joe Redifer
06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Many LOLz. Except maybe for the controller. But hey it's the Xbox 1 controller so it works. :)

Drunken Savior
06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MONpr7N.jpg

Joe Redifer
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Who the hell is Steve Tilley?

calintz
06-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Steve Tilley
@stevetilley

I cover entertainment, video games, tech and nerdy fun for Sun Media's many newspapers and websites. You can also see my smilin' mug on TV's Reviews on the Run.

Toronto · torontosun.com/tech

https://twitter.com/stevetilley

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 03:06 AM
The Sun! He must be lieing.

Nem
06-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Haha... heres what Microsoft PR is thinking:

We arent gonna make the same mistakes! We will still say nothing about these issues in the conference but this time we will keep our spokesman tightly wrapped. Dont want them giving out the information we know people wont like.

Their strategy was always to brush this under the rug. This makes me think that microsoft is not gonna change their ways and they are going forwards with all this shizzle like blocked used games, required kinect, always on, payed online, etc. (and no rechargeable battery for the controller!! Their rechargeable ones also seem to break down after 2 years! This is a stealth charge of 50 euros here, wich the playstation gives you bundled!).

Drunken Savior
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
And the twist will be that publishers will be so on board with it that the One will have a shit ton of exclusives right out of the gate and people will buy it and it'll be the norm despite the mighty internet bitching.

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
The Xbox One controller can be plugged in via a micro USB cable to preserve battery life, Microsoft has revealed.

Doing so will switch the pad's wireless radios off and send data down the wire instead, a new Xbox.com blog post described, which makes Microsoft's decision to still use batteries somewhat more excusable.

Another improvement is the controller's new low power state, a battery-conserving mode that won't require you to re-sync your pad every time you leave it to become idle.

The controller now uses invisible reflective technology and LEDs to pair the pad with the console and Kinect sensor, which will help track your position in a room.

The data transfer rate between console and controller has also been improved, which will mean better headset audio quality.

A lot of the other features mentioned in the report have already been touted by Microsoft - a redesigned d-pad, textured thumbsticks and a rumble function in the controller's triggers. Just the thing for watching TV.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-06-xbox-one-controller-can-be-plugged-in-to-save-power

Drunken Savior
06-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Let's hope that they give you a lengthy cable then.

Nem
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
And the twist will be that publishers will be so on board with it that the One will have a shit ton of exclusives right out of the gate and people will buy it and it'll be the norm despite the mighty internet bitching.

We shall see.

That might be the case in the US, but in Japan and Europe? I'm not so sure. Actually, i dont think its gonna be the case at all and publishers wont be able to afford not releasing the games on the PS4.

Also i dont know where this idea that if you block used games the original copies will sell more. Not unless they drop in price aswell. The games i buy used, i buy because im not willing to pay more than that for them.

Drunken Savior
06-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm just speculating, I don't really think that would happen. That'd be like the 'bad ending' for console gaming, haha.

But seriously....you think Microsoft thinks 'third times the charm' for the Xbox and Japan? The US is their cash cow, EU is the icing, albiet meaty icing (mmm...meat icing). If all they can do is get the US market to decide that the One is the top selling console upon release against the PS4, they'll see that as a colossal win. :P

Nem
06-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Lets hope the Us people know better and go with the PS4. :P

To be honest though, after the Xbox unveil the hype for the PS4 seems to have risen quite a bit. Aslong as Sony has a strong E3, wich they should have, i find it hard to believe that the PS4 wont have a significantly better start than the Xbox one.

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Don't know about the rest of Europe but there's a much larger push for the Xbox One then the PS4 in the stores and on websites like Shopto.com. I'm expecting the PS4 to be second here in sales.

Joe Redifer
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Let's hope that they give you a lengthy cable then.

Yes, but can the controller run off of the cable along without any batteries at all. If not, that's just hilariously sad.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One (http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license)

With our modern architecture, Xbox One games will load more quickly, will be always accessible from the cloud, and there is no physical limit to the size or scope of the content provided.

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

It doesn't say how games are transferred from one account to another without a fee paid by the user trying to install game data from the disc on his Xbox One.

Also, is it known if the disc can be played right when you pop it in and it installs as you play? Or must you wait while it installs? If the latter, that sucks.

Escaflowne2001
06-06-2013, 07:37 PM
"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

That's about my only worry covered.

I'll imagine you'll have to wait for the whole game to install before playing like on the PS3 but downloading you can play most likely after a certain point.

Paper exe
06-06-2013, 07:58 PM
The real worry is that you are only allowed to play your OWN games as long as the server is up when they close it, like they did with the original Xbox, all Xbone games are useless forever. and that BS.

Xbone always online (http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-needs-to-connect-to-the-internet-every-24-hour-511751949)

Joe Redifer
06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
True, you can't keep the games forever unless they unlock all of the systems from needing to check the server to play games before they shut the server down.

Drunken Savior
06-06-2013, 08:59 PM
If this doesn't change, the 360 will have the most serious DRM of all gaming platforms. At least with Steam, if you chose to store your login/password on your PC, you can switch to offline mode and just play your games that way.

Nem
06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
You mean the "one" drunken. The 360 isnt there yet hopefully.

For me this was the final self inflicted nail in the coffin for microsoft.

I bet that first used sale is gonna net you 1 or 2 euros/dollars per game and the retailer will get 5 per sell as rumored. The publishers will hog the rest. Seriously... i se it as theft. They have no right to lock and claim ownership of the copy i bought.

Even if this was allowed on the PS4 i will refuse to buy games from any publisher that does this. I will retreat to Nintendo only if i have to or completely leave the videogames business. I will not be robbed of my property.

calintz
06-06-2013, 11:32 PM
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/ceiling-kinect.png?w=558&h=9999&crop=0

Einhander
06-07-2013, 12:00 AM
cn_NoMjuFLc

The ending is hilarious

Also, there's no way I'll be touching the Xbone.

spider-prime
06-07-2013, 12:34 AM
For every one you guys don't buy, I will buy 10!

Nem
06-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Hmmm... the fatty there bought a kinect just to break it? Cause its sold separatly on the 360...

Escaflowne2001
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Hmmm... the fatty there bought a kinect just to break it? Cause its sold separatly on the 360...

There's always that sort of stupid stuff on youtube. People breaking stuff they brought.

Icarus4578
06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

They're joking, right? This isn't a feature, this has been possible with every single console.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

That doesn't sound like a good feature to me. How would MS know whether or not the person accessing your software is in fact your relative? Are they going to make your relatives stand in front of your Kinect in order for MS to photograph them? There's definitely some catch to this.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

"...so game publishers can enable you to trade..." That's just great. MS has given publishers the ability to maintain control over software beyond the retail counter.

Once a transaction has been made, the publisher has conceded ownership -- you own the product. You're not paying full retail value merely to rent or borrow via some temporary license.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

As with allowing others to play your software, MS has no business deciding what you can do with the products you purchase.

Rubeus
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
It's confirmed that I am not getting an Xbox One -- at least not until they release Xbox One with Service Pack 1 to remove all these Internet connection requirement. :lol:

Icarus4578
06-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Given that the NSA has been caught spying on Americans, data-mining from a slew of sources such as Verizon, Facebook, AT&T, Sprint, Google, Apple, etc., would anyone be surprised if Microsoft gave them a backdoor to spy on people via Kinect?

Sinful Sam
06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Is the X One, DRM really that heavy? I am seeing a lot of complaints about it.

Einhander
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Nephlabobo/XboxDRM_zps7200d232.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Nephlabobo/media/XboxDRM_zps7200d232.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Nephlabobo/Xboxone_zps261d8289.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Nephlabobo/media/Xboxone_zps261d8289.jpg.html)

Drunken Savior
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Nephlabobo/XboxDRM_zps7200d232.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Nephlabobo/media/XboxDRM_zps7200d232.jpg.html)

I know they were REALLY wanting that 4th 'ONE' in that poster but the One lets family members to play the games with you.

Escaflowne2001
06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Oddly enough only one person could play the same game as you even if it was completely disc based. So no difference there then normal then...

Drunken Savior
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Circlejerk mentality. Let's just make shit up now, huh Esca?

Pikachief
06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
The up to 10 family members can play from your "shared games library" seems very interesting!

My cousin and I do enjoy trading games very often since we often buy different games, so for me this could be even more convenient than the old way. Maybe it'll finally get me to try a madden game if its just sitting there on his shared games library for me to download and try :P

Drunken Savior
06-18-2013, 06:38 PM
The up to 10 family members can play from your "shared games library" seems very interesting!

My cousin and I do enjoy trading games very often since we often buy different games, so for me this could be even more convenient than the old way. Maybe it'll finally get me to try a madden game if its just sitting there on his shared games library for me to download and try :P

I'll admit, that is a pretty cool feature. I'd love it if I could share my Steam library with a select few. Make me feel less like game hoarder if someone would play all these games I have that I never played. The only reason I have these games is because they were all super low so I figured that I might just play it sometime.

Paper exe
06-19-2013, 12:18 AM

It means when the server shut down you cannot play your games anymore.

In other word when you buy a 60-100$ Xbone games it is nothing but a rental for 2-10 (depends on the time the game releases in the end of the system cycle (shorter ranter) or in the beginning).

Not allowing you to play music is fine as one costs few cents but something as expensive as games one game costs a nontaxable amount! They got the guts to take this approach and decid when ever they can disallow you from playing these games for ever!

Pikachief
06-19-2013, 12:24 AM
It means when the server shut down you cannot play your games anymore.

In other word when you buy a 60-100$ Xbone games it is nothing but a rental for 2-10 (depends on the time the game releases in the end of the system cycle (shorter ranter) or in the beginning).

Not allowing you to play music is fine as one costs few cents but something as expensive as games one game costs a nontaxable amount! They got the guts to take this approach and decid when ever they can disallow you from playing these games for ever!

This isnt necessarily true. They can easily no longer allow the 24 hour checks for the console to operate once the servers go down. But hen again we dont know either way until an official word from microsoft

Drunken Savior
06-19-2013, 01:25 AM
But hen again we dont know either way until an official word from microsoft

True. As is, it seems that Microsoft wrote the DRM rules just before the official Xbox One announcement. I'm curious to see how all this ultimately plays out early adopters.

Paper exe
06-19-2013, 02:53 AM
This isnt necessarily true. They can easily no longer allow the 24 hour checks for the console to operate once the servers go down. But hen again we dont know either way until an official word from microsoft

Even if they do it is going to be stuck to the system much like all digital games. and that's not a good thing.

Not to mention Microsoft awful and greedy history in DRM. I read what they did in MSN music (something) DRM. they screwed everybody over for their own personal benefit with out a care or any consider to the customer.

Also if they have something good to say they would have said it rather than dodge the questions in all the interviews and would have provided a clear answer by now. It is common sense why avoid it why not just make that simple promise if they really do have good faith?!

spider-prime
06-19-2013, 03:32 AM
I say give it a bit of time, someone will figure out how to trick the system into thinking it did it's online check without any internet so you can play the games off line.

Reality
06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I know its becoming a defense that Microsoft could release a patch at the end of the consoles life to allow it to work when the servers go down but from a business stand point it makes no sense to.

There is a reason why they didn't spend the millions in the development and research to allow backwards compatibility. One of those reasons being they want people to buy NEW games, NEW controllers, NEW content ect. It generates fresh revenue. So I realistically don't see why the same people who made these ridiculously restrictions to begin with will decide 8 years from now to go ahead and green light even more millions of dollars in development to patch every system and every game to work outside the their control.

Its effortless to type that it can be easily done but its not. It'll take company time and company money. And by that time such a decision needs to be made by the people who don't want you to have that privilege to begin with. They wont be spending resources it on a dying platform. No. Instead and realistically your console will die from old age as its DESIGNED to. And they'll be marketing their next platform. So you'll buy all NEW products again and keep the profite train rolling.

Now, I could be eating crow with this statement weeks, months, even years down the road. Or people are just going to get use to being screwed over till its not truly a big deal to them anymore and Microsoft carries on with their plans as attended. I just know from experience that when you have this level of DRM and the servers go down you almost always never see such a happy ending.

Escaflowne2001
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
So I realistically don't see why the same people who made these ridiculously restrictions to begin with will decide 8 years from now to go ahead and green light even more millions of dollars in development to patch every system and every game to work outside the their control.

It would most likely be easier and more cost efficient to develop the tech at the same time and have it ready for the future. They already said they no intention of making the console useless in years to come.

Reality
06-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Personally I feel companies will say what they need to depending on the situation of the interview. They very well may have a plan for the Xbox 1 to be unlocked at the very last days of its life or they may be lying to us to get some negative press off their backs.

I am still waiting for my Next Generation GameBoy Advance Nintendo said was in the works along side the DS.

spider-prime
06-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Personally I feel companies will say what they need to depending on the situation of the interview. They very well may have a plan for the Xbox 1 to be unlocked at the very last days of its life or they may be lying to us to get some negative press off their backs.

I am still waiting for my Next Generation GameBoy Advance Nintendo said was in the works along side the DS.

I was going to same thing. They will say anything to get off of the bad press at something that might happen. They didn't officially announce that will happen. Every interview I see with that it's always yah we "could" do that.

progmetal
06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
A rumor saying Microsoft is backtracking and removing the DRM and always online. Really doubt it, and I've never heard of the site either.

Microsoft to backtrack on Xbox One games DRM and "always online"

http://www.whathifi.com/news/microsoft-to-back-track-on-xbox-one-games-drm-and-always-online

Drunken Savior
06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Giant Bomb is also reporting that. (http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/)

Pikachief
06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
I know its becoming a defense that Microsoft could release a patch at the end of the consoles life to allow it to work when the servers go down but from a business stand point it makes no sense to.

There is a reason why they didn't spend the millions in the development and research to allow backwards compatibility. One of those reasons being they want people to buy NEW games, NEW controllers, NEW content ect. It generates fresh revenue. So I realistically don't see why the same people who made these ridiculously restrictions to begin with will decide 8 years from now to go ahead and green light even more millions of dollars in development to patch every system and every game to work outside the their control.

Its effortless to type that it can be easily done but its not. It'll take company time and company money. And by that time such a decision needs to be made by the people who don't want you to have that privilege to begin with. They wont be spending resources it on a dying platform. No. Instead and realistically your console will die from old age as its DESIGNED to. And they'll be marketing their next platform. So you'll buy all NEW products again and keep the profite train rolling.

Now, I could be eating crow with this statement weeks, months, even years down the road. Or people are just going to get use to being screwed over till its not truly a big deal to them anymore and Microsoft carries on with their plans as attended. I just know from experience that when you have this level of DRM and the servers go down you almost always never see such a happy ending.

And of course its the only main thing I fear about the XB1 is the fact that it just may not work in 7-10 years from now.

They could say that it'll never become useless, or that as long as Xbox Live is a service it'll always work, or 3-4 years after the NextBox Two comes out they can just shut down the XB1 servers after saying they'd last forever the whole way through.

We just don't know.

EDIT: forgot the quote haha

Escaflowne2001
06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

It's all true. No online checks, used games and disc sharing like the XB360 and no region locks.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Pikachief
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Which also means no shared games library and you need the disc in your disc tray to play the games again. *sigh* oh well.

progmetal
06-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Just saw that.

Family sharing and installing games is out it seems.

Pikachief
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Just saw that.

Family sharing and installing games is out it seems.

Oh installing games is still there, but you can't play them purely off the console now.

But I'm sure that's what you meant. It'll be just like the 360 already is. I feel like the PS4 and XB1 are even more similar consoles now.

IoriYagami n8
06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm happy to see that Microsoft listens to their consumers and adjust their policies. I can think of very few companies that would have the balls to do that. I'm a little disappointed that there is no mention of a price drop in order to keep in line with the PS4.

I'm also disappointed in the fact that these changes will result in some features I was excited about likely being removed, such as the shared library.

The online requirement was primarily used to monitor shared usage and check-in for any license transfers when selling games. With that requirement removed, I hope they still provide options to users. Disc based games would have to work as normal, but since digital versions can't be resold now, they can at least enable a feature allowing for users to designate a digital game as shared or not. If the game's share feature is turned on, the game requires the player to be online to use. However, players can turn off the share feature (remove it from the library) and then the game can be played offline as well, but is no longer accessible by friends or family.

Drunken Savior
06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
So is there no DRM on the console at all or, like the PS4, is it left up to the producers to play police if they wish?

Paper exe
06-19-2013, 06:55 PM
YES! Pre ordering xbone now. killer instinct and crimson dragon here i come!!! :D

In your face hat8s! the good side won! :slap:

Nem
06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
It was also renamed the Xbox One Eighty!

Though to be honest, i see Microsoft trying to shove this down everyones throat once the console is safe. Proceed at your own risk.

Drunken Savior
06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
It was also renamed the Xbox One Eighty!

http://i.imgur.com/9tNjFPX.jpg

Joe Redifer
06-19-2013, 07:20 PM
I bet Sony shit their pants. The only advantage they really have now is price. I will get a PS4 first and even then, not right away. Xbox One really only costs more because of that Kinect that's included.

Dj Jimmi Zero
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
It'll still require a day one patch to change all that, the PS4 is still cheaper with the camera than the 180, it's only $40 but still cheaper.

Ernst
06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Microsoft burnt bridges and killed good will and no doubt a lot of fans lost their brand loyalty. They'll still suffer for this.

BlindMaphisto
06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
People tend to forgive when they get what they want.

spider-prime
06-19-2013, 08:39 PM
GOOOOD.

This shows that Digital downloads only consoles won't happen for a while now.

The preorder sales must have been total shit for them to change it so quickly.

calintz
06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
ooooh... choosing one console to buy became a little bit harder...

said no real gamer ever

Pikachief
06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
This is an honest question.

Besides being cheaper and possibly having better graphics in games, What advantages does the XB1 have over PS4? Like are they so similar that the only difference is $100? Is it just because you like their exclusives more? Is it because of Indie games? Does their camera scare you? I'm seriously trying to find what the PS4 has over XB1 besides price and indie games...

Sulblazer
06-19-2013, 09:09 PM
GOOOOD.

This shows that Digital downloads only consoles won't happen for a while now.

The preorder sales must have been total shit for them to change it so quickly.

Oh...they were in deep shit when compared to the PS4. After that Amazon survey that bent ridiculously towards Sony's favor (94% of consumers were more interested in the PS4), public outcry, and the lambasting they got from popular media...MS had few options left but to reverse their DRM policies. I must say, I'm damned impressed how everyone came together in addition to pressure from Sony to make this happen. Looks like this next generation will still be back to business as usual.

Ernst
06-19-2013, 09:09 PM
For me, it's goodwill, owning a PS Vita, and the direction Sony seems to be taking. Not to mention the graphics.