PDA

View Full Version : AT&T announces plans for 1Gbps fiber service in Austin, Texas; Google gets immediate

Drunken Savior
04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
AT&T announces plans for 1Gbps fiber service in Austin, Texas; Google gets immediate competition
By Darren Murph
posted Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:14 PM

First thought: "Ha!" Second thought: "Oh, wait -- competition is an excellent thing." While it's highly probable that AT&T is looking to both overshadow Google's launch party and maintain a foothold in one of its most prized states, the outfit's terse announcement of an impending 1Gbps fiber network should honestly be seen as nothing but excellent news for residents of Austin. Merely hours after Google and the city of Austin jointly made clear that Google Fiber would be hitting up local homes in mid-2014, Ma Bell has made public its "intent" to built a 1 Gigabit fiber network in the same area.

AT&T's expanded fiber plans in Austin anticipate it will be granted the "same terms and conditions as Google on issues such as geographic scope of offerings, rights of way, permitting, state licenses and any investment incentives." Of course, it's seriously unlikely AT&T will offer up basic fiber connections for free in the way that Google's doing, but on a macro level, we certainly hope this type of one-upping continues in more towns across the country. And, more specifically, that AT&T continues to roll out fiber networks on its own accord in various locales; with FiOS expansion indefinitely paused, we sure need someone to step up and keep the dream alive.

Competition!

Reality
04-10-2013, 03:11 AM
That's impressive! I suppose in true AT&T fashion you'll sign up with a 2 year contract and a 2gb download limit per month.

spider-prime
04-10-2013, 03:42 AM
That's impressive! I suppose in true AT&T fashion you'll sign up with a 2 year contract and a 2gb download limit per month.

SOLD!

Sulblazer
05-07-2013, 05:32 AM
What? It's just an announcement that they're planning? That could mean anything! They could have sat around at a meeting, spitballing some ideas...someone goes, "Hey, lets ahhhh...lets ahhh...oh, I know....1Gbs fiber! Google is doing it."
Another guy goes, "Sounds good, lets announce it."
"But we haven't got any licenses or permits or city contracts..."
"So? We can still announce it, right?"

Beam
05-16-2013, 11:42 PM

being an at@t customer i know how they can screw you over, but at least their price point is cheaper than the competition.

Zachalmighty
05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Ironic, most of ATT (ACC) data network went down yesterday across the country. I'm still not sure if this is due to a DDoS targeted at ATT's network or if it was a problem inherent with their expansion plans.

Beam
05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Ironic, most of ATT (ACC) data network went down yesterday across the country. I'm still not sure if this is due to a DDoS targeted at ATT's network or if it was a problem inherent with their expansion plans.

it may be their expansion because the data service went down in my area about two weeks ago as well. i was wondering if it would eventually affect anyone else.