PDA

View Full Version : The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games

Rubeus
04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
From two "reliable" sources from Kotaku, you cannot start a game without internet connection, just like Steam -- so the new Xbox is even more like a PC than PS4.

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."
The Next Xbox Has Mandatory Kinect, Game-Swapping and New Controllers, According To Leaked Info
The next-generation Xbox—the one that will follow the still-popular Xbox 360—will run multiple… Read…

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."
PS4 Will Not Require An Always-Online Connection [UPDATE]
Stemming fears of the always-online requirement still rumored strongly for the next Xbox, a Sony PR … Read…

The PS4 will not require an online connection to start or run games, Sony has confirmed. No gaming console ever has.
The Next Xbox and Its Controller Are Currently Covered In Crazy Stripes
Controllers for the next Xbox as well as prototype versions of both Microsoft's new, powerful… Read…

Reporting about the next-gen Xbox is still mostly a matter of checking rumors and leaks. No one in or out of Microsoft is authorized to discuss the console publicly. But there are a growing number of people tied to the gaming industry, including our sources for this story, who have had the opportunity to familiarize themselves with Microsoft's plans for the machine. Development of games for the console is intensifying. Microsoft has sent beta development kits, sporting a new controller and Kinect motion/voice sensor array to game creators. Our main sources for this story have a perfect track record in getting these kinds of things right.

That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement. No one has been able to say it's not true and some have speculated that this is required at the operating system level and therefore isn't something Microsoft has to tell all developers or retail partners. Microsoft also has the ability to change this type of requirement seemingly at a moment's notice through changes in firmware or networking infrastructure.

Microsoft doesn't comment at all about its next-gen system, so the best we have from them on the matter is as follows: "We do not comment on rumors or speculation. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform, but we don't have anything further to share at this time." That's from a Microsoft spokesperson after we asked, today, about this always-online rumor and told them this story was planned.

But if Microsoft is about to walk this back, they probably haven't done so yet. One of our sources says that the always-online plan was in effect as recently as two weeks ago.
Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games (And Will Introduce Kinect 2)
Microsoft will upgrade its disc technology for its next Xbox from DVDs to Blu-Ray discs, catching… Read…

The always-online rumor has been swirling for about a year. We'd been hearing it but couldn't nail it down with the specificity we have today. We raised it as a possibility, tied to a good source, but were unclear how dropped connections would be handled. We also weren't clear if this was something like Microsoft's anti-used-game system, a plan the company briefed partners on in 2012 but that we had heard so little of since that it may well have gone away--or if this was like the plans for the new Kinect, which, it has become increasingly clear, is an essential element of the Durango.

An always-online requirement would obviously be a big deal. It raises many questions about how the system would perform in places that don't have reliable Internet and about the extent that the connection would be used to authenticate ownership of games. This is something every gamer would want to know about. So, since we first heard about it, we have tried to confirm whether the requirement was real and in the cards. Sources in development, publishing and retail mostly responded with shrugs.
The Incredible Rise and Fall of a Hacker Who Found the Secrets of the Next Xbox and PlayStation—And Maybe More
The first thing that ever puzzled me about the man I used to know as SuperDaE was that he… Read…

In January, the hacker SuperDaE began sharing official development documents for the next-gen PlayStation and Xbox. Many of the dozens of pages of the Xbox/Durango documentation were full of programming code but the parts in plain English--the parts that, honestly, we could understand--said nothing about an online requirement. They were, however, crystal clear about the new system needing the new Kinect to operate: "Every Durango console ships with a Kinect sensor. A Kinect sensor must be attached and configured for the console to function."

Some sources told us that they believed that the Durango development kit required an online connection so that Microsoft could keep tabs on them and update them with new, ever-evolving firmware. Others weren't sure.

A few weeks ago, we heard from one reliable industry source who told us about a Durango developer making a game that would use an always-online connection for gameplay purposes, to constantly be able to share game data back and forth. It wasn't clear, though, if this indicated the Durango's capacity to be always online--Nintendo's Wii had its own optional 24/7 always-online mode--or if the online connection was a must.

Meanwhile, the site VGLeaks, which appeared to have access to many of the same Durango documents shared with Kotaku by SuperDaE posted a new document that appeared to indicate an online connection was required for the console. It referred to an "Always Online, Always Connected" console, the better to give users current content and quick access to their entertainment, without waiting for updates or for the machine to boot up. We were unable to confirm this document's authenticity, but the major gaming website IGN reported that they confirmed that it is real. The gaming magazine Edge has also reported that their sources say the next Xbox will require an online connection.

The new confirmation we've heard from sources, including the specifics about how the Durango would handle a dropped connection, bolster our confidence that all this smoke is a sign of some fiery facts.

But why would they do this?

Every person we've talked to about the always-online connection, internally and externally, has been incredulous. They predict a fiasco. They detect hubris in a Microsoft riding high off of the Xbox 360's incredible post-Kinect sales performance. But they also detect, as I have, an intensified interest in Microsoft's part to position the next Xbox as an entertainment device, to not emphasize games as significantly as they had with past Microsoft consoles. Add that to far shakier rumors of the next Xbox working as a cable box or DVR or some other TV-viewing enabler--something not a single source of mine could confirm--and you might wonder: if my cable box always has to be connected, why not my next Xbox?
Your Complete Guide To The SimCity Disaster
Misinformation. Server errors. Fan backlash. Since EA launched SimCity two weeks ago, the online… Read…

There are reasons for Microsoft to not do this, of course. They merely need to see the disastrous launch of EA's always-online SimCity and decide whether the negative backlash of selling people a product that can't work when the servers go down is worth it--especially if the earlier version of that product didn't require that kind of Internet connection.

They could also look at the competition and imagine a consumer standing at a store, deciding whether to buy a PS4 or the next Xbox. One wouldn't require online; the other, if our best sources are right, would. Surely, some would prefer the system without the online requirement.

As mentioned above, things can change. Microsoft may reveal its next Xbox this month, in May or, at the latest, at E3 in June. We'll know more then. We'll hopefully know what they've decided.

Source (http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456)

Drunken Savior
04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Wow, so no Offline mode? (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555)

Rubeus
04-05-2013, 12:08 AM
This is amazing :lol:

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online
http://i.minus.com/jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png
http://i.minus.com/jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png
http://i.imgur.com/OEY5yp8.jpg
http://cl.ly/image/0I1L2n3a2z0Z/Image%202013.04.04%207:23:05%20PM.png

Paper exe
04-05-2013, 06:42 AM
see that. instead of looking for a creative way to make a console more convenient they take a huge step backward instead.

that Microsoft. the only thing they are good at is to screw consumers, developers and publishers a like and ultimately start a video game crash just like it same nationality sisters in the Atari era.

American's should stay away from creating gaming consoles. they just suck at it.

Nem
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
*munches on the popcorn*

I'm amused Microsoft. Keep it up!

Icarus4578
04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I heard from my bro about the required Kinect and online, marketing the next Xbox as more of an entertainment hub rather than a video game console.

If MS and developers are so out of touch that they can't see the huge rift this is creating, oh well, enjoy the show.

BlindMaphisto
04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I'll bring marshmallows and we can toast them over the flaming corpse of the Microsoft console division.

Escaflowne2001
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Nikolai Mohilchock, the senior game designer at The Workshop, also shared his opinion:

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills. ;)"

Uh oh!

http://www.shopto.net/news/42368/Microsoft-dev-all-but-confirms-Next-Xbox-will-be-alwayson-says-Deal-with-it

Sounds to be increasingly true. Doesn't bother me personally.

Rubeus
04-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I guess that means more savings toward buying PS4 games.

I can only have WiFi connection near my TV and it is not very stable there, I can't stand my game keeps suspending in the middle :(

stroopwafel
04-05-2013, 08:34 PM
The arrogance of that m$ drone on twitter and the general condescending attitude towards consumer concerns is truly appalling. Albeit representative of that fucking company. I also don't understand how people can be OK with paying 60 dollars for a game and then being dependent on their ISP, server stability and account access to play it. Even if its a single-player game and an internet connection is totally irrelevant for the game. Also, what if support for the game will cease? The game will be instantly unplayable. So basically what this move entails is that it turns gaming into a rental service with the sharks at m$ as the gatekeeper. No internet connection, server problems or game no longer supported? There goes your 60 bucks.

'Always-on' internet connection really crosses the line b/c it is the difference between buying a game and buying a temporary service.

Icarus4578
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
stroop, your post crystalized the general sentiment perfectly.

If someone makes the mistake of purchasing a bad game, they will probably not be able to sell it or trade it in if it's locked to their console. Even if by some miracle MS does allow for used game purchases, it's certain they'll charge an additional fee on top. You'd have to pay twice for one used game, effectively negating the entire purpose for the second-hand market. Literally everything would need to filter through MS for their approval.

Kinect is mandatory, huh? Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't that a camera and mic? Since the console is mandatory online, wouldn't this allow MS to watch you at volition? Not a good idea.

calintz
04-05-2013, 10:37 PM
how about this weird idea: wait for microsoft to actually confirm all of this?

Rubeus
04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
If this is all true, I wonder if Microsoft would sell "Offline License" so that you can play games offline safely.

Paper exe
04-05-2013, 11:49 PM
calintz is being wired again! please stop it.

Drunken Savior
04-06-2013, 04:08 AM

But....but my Pachtner rage is here NOW!

Paper exe
04-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Drunken Savior is being an xbox fanboy please stop it.

Icarus4578
04-06-2013, 08:57 AM

This info leak is no accident; it was done intentionally in order for MS to observe public response (free market research). Well, we're giving them what they want. Ditto for every other website that covers this story.

Deal with it.

Reality
04-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I got to read some of Adam Orthy's posts on the matter and it's not coaching people into accepting a always on connection very well.

If this is all just a big consumer opinion test than they are going about it all wrong. Normally you would suggest a idea and watch the feedback. Not mock people who didn't like it.

This is the kind of attitude we have seen in Microsoft for a while now though. When Windows Vista was coming out it Microsoft defended it's poor design decisions by critizing those who complained. Now we have a the Kenect. Something the company acts like we just don't get or understand. And only furthering the requirements to make Kenect "connect" all UI of our lives will we finally get it. Similar things can be said in the world of Internet. A large tv campaign is currently airing to sway people away from Google and onto Bing. Microsoft hates Google. Have for a very long time.

So to see them defend a always on connection with a condescending tone is unfortunately no surprise. It's the same way they promote Windows 8 as PC sales decline for their 5th year straight.

calintz
04-06-2013, 09:18 PM
This info leak is no accident; it was done intentionally in order for MS to observe public response (free market research). Well, we're giving them what they want. Ditto for every other website that covers this story.

Deal with it.

maybe.

but meh - good thing is that sony is getting some good press, and microsoft is getting shitted on

good times.

Reality
04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Worse case scenario, they go through with this ridiculous idea and none of us buy it. They'll get bad press for it I'm sure and we'll buy the worth wild multiplatform games on the PS4.

Beam
04-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Well we know for sure that the ps4 doesn't require an always in connection and it plays used games. M$ take note because as it stands right now Sony has learned from it's mistakes with the os3 and may very well make another legendary console run. It'll be ps2 all over again.

Icarus4578
04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
maybe.

but meh - good thing is that sony is getting some good press, and microsoft is getting shitted on

good times.

Nothing to do with liking Sony (or Nintendo) from my perspective, because they're just as capable of being greedy and arrogant as any other first-party. If MS goes ahead and incorporates all these horrible features, which at this point I seriously doubt, that's their decision. There's no point in supporting a first-party that treats their user-base with such contempt.

I sorely miss the time when gaming was about fun and creativity, not big licenses and big budgets. As soon as it became a billion-dollar industry, Hollywood, music labels and big businesses had to jump on the bandwagon. Never would I allow some greedy corporation to determine whether or not I had their permission just to play a video game. To hell with that! I'll pull out a real game console such as the NES and play it anytime I want.

Besides, there's plenty of other things to do with my time, plenty of other worthwhile hobbies and interests out there. I can compose music, draw, animate, read, play sports, research interesting things, watch Fist of the North Star...

Badrats Studio
04-07-2013, 10:20 AM
In the future MS create, the ownership is equal to renting.

I know they want to combat piracy with this route but is there no other way rather than generalizing everyone as bandits and no legit owner anymore ?

Icarus4578
04-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Combating piracy? Uh, no. This is essentially corporate fascism at work. They want to maintain control above and beyond the checkout line at the store -- a permission-based society where everything is automatically filtered through their database. Piracy is just a convenient excuse.

BlindMaphisto
04-07-2013, 02:07 PM
cW28VSmXnCo

Hilarious and relevant.

Reality
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Earlier this week, a Microsoft Studios
creative director stepped into a huge,
flaming virtual bag full of doo-doo when
he decided to make his case for always-
online gaming, and possibly gave away
information about the next generation
of Xbox in the process. Today, Microsoft
has had to issue a “don’t listen to that
guy” statement.

For those coming into this late, it was
reported yesterday that the next Xbox
will require users to always be
connected to the Internet if they want
to use the console, not just in instances
where the user is actively accessing
online content. No one knows if this is
true, as Microsoft hasn’t released any
details about the next Xbox, but the
mere idea has ticked off a lot of
consumers who see it as an
unnecessary and invasive requirement.
One person who wasn’t annoyed by the
always-online requirement was
Microsoft Studios creative director
Adam Orth, who took to Twitter to say,
“I don’t get the drama around having
an ‘always on’ console. Every device
now is ‘always on’. That’s the world we
live in. #dealwithit

He only made matters worse by making
flimsy analogies equating Internet
access — which is still not a mandatory
part of life, in spite of all the connected
tech being released every day — with
an essential like electricity.

All in all, it wasn’t a banner day for
Orth or Microsoft. He became a
recipient of not-so-friendly feedback
from the Internet that he so dearly
wants to be connected to at all times,
and Microsoft has had to release an
apology to distance itself from its
employee’s Tweets:

“We apologize for the
inappropriate comments
made by an employee on
Twitter yesterday. This
person is not a
spokesperson for Microsoft,
and his personal views do
not reflect the customer
centric approach we take to
our products or how we
would communicate directly
with our loyal consumers.
We are very sorry if this
offended anyone, however
we have not made any
announcements about our
product roadmap, and have
no further comment on this
matter.”

They don't deny it but shut up the guy embarrassing them.

Rubeus
04-08-2013, 02:11 AM
Some one made this great animated GIF summing things up.

http://i.minus.com/iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

Drunken Savior
04-08-2013, 02:51 AM
Heh, the ending was such a low blow...

Icarus4578
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
That was funny.

Ernst
04-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Enjoyable. What's more funny is that the general consumer likely agrees with Orth. #DealWithIt.

I really don't care as LONG as this doesn't become an industry standard. Always disliked Microsoft's approach to doing biz, so I try to avoid all of their products- never had an XBox, likely never will now. Which is a shame, because after the PS4 announcement I was open to the idea of the next XBox.

Drunken Savior
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
The more I read about this, the more I feel like we should all take Calintz's advice and wait and see. The original article above by Kotaku cites two pieces of information: an unknown source with a claim and a leak via Vgleaks. Unknown sources should always be treated with a grain of salt, but the Vgleaks allows for more interpretation.

By Jose Vilches
On March 20, 2013, 10:40 AM

Rumors about some sort of anti-used game protection being planned for the next-generation Xbox have surfaced on several occasions over the past year. Although I’ve always been skeptical about a supposed “always on, always connected” requirement for the console, today a number of sites are reporting on rumors that supposedly reinforce that notion, along with new details courtesy of leaked Xbox Development Kit documents.

After carefully reading the hardware overview published by Vgleaks, which was previously responsible for revealing Durango’s specs, it seems to me that some people are just being a little paranoid or unrealistic about Microsoft’s plans. Here’s the relevant “always connected” bit and the context in which it’s mentioned:

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this “Always On, Always Connected” design, users will easily and quickly enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

In other words, “always on, always connected” is a feature rather than a requirement to play games. It’s not necessarily meant to do DRM checks every few minutes to make sure you are not running pirate or second hand games, and it certainly doesn’t mean that games will stop working if you lose your connection. Instead, it’s about downloading stuff like game or social network updates in the background so they’re ready when you need them.

If any of that sounds familiar is because the PlayStation 4’s “network standby” will do the same thing.

Now, that doesn’t mean the next Xbox won’t have any protections against used games. The company might still use one-time use activation codes for games, as previous rumors have suggested, but exactly how such a scheme would work hasn’t been confirmed. Microsoft could charge a fee lower than the price of a full game to re-activate it on another console, for example, in a move that would mimic EA’s Online Pass initiative.

Other interesting tidbits from the leaked documents include a mention that the next-gen console will feature a hard drive with enough capacity to "hold a large number of games." Blu-ray media will be used for distribution, but games will actually be installed and run from the hard drive.

The installation system is designed in such a way that users can load games even before the installation is finished so there’s not too much waiting involved. Playback from optical discs is not supported.

Anyways, continue discussing hypotheticals all you want...you know....just like how y'all did when you all were worried that Sony was blocking used games on the PS4.

Icarus4578
04-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Funny you should say that when game developers were bringing all this stuff up. More than likely, it was Microsoft's idea to start spreading these rumors in order to observe how people reacted.

Let's say hypothetically that they spread the same rumor and nobody spoke up about it. MS might take that as confirmation that everything was cool and implement those features. For all we know they still might, or maybe even try to work them in gradually.

The very fact that these ideas were brought up, by people in the industry no less, suggests to me that they really want to incorporate these features but are unsure how to do so without igniting a firestorm with their consumer-base.

calintz
04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
you said that already

Icarus4578
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
It's good that people voice their opinions on the subject.

spider-prime
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm buying 12!

Rubeus
04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
The guy got fired by Microsoft, I guess he will never get a Xbox 720 in his life again.

http://i.imgur.com/atXwf0C.jpg

Adam Orth, the Microsoft creative director who caused a stir on Twitter about always connected devices in wake of an ‘always on’ Xbox rumor that day, is no longer with the company.

The news comes from Game Informer, who’ve confirmed his leave, but were unable to confirm whether it was a voluntary or forced resignation.

Orth has yet to update his LinkedIn profile, which still lists him as a Microsoft employee.

Source (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538053)

spider-prime
04-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Apparently, there is a Xbox Mini coming out that doesn't have a disc drive to it and is only for downloadable games and needs to be always on to play games. BUT, when connected to the 720, it will allow for B/C with 360 disc games, but again, to play B/C you will need to be connected to the internet.

It's supposed to cost 99 dollars when it comes out.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-may-take-over-your-tv-be-joined-by-xbox-mini-1143810

Here is a article on it. Nothing is confirmed about it yet.

Nem
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Who wants to buy 2 systems instead of one? :D

Icarus4578
04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
So if you already own an X360 and want to play games on their next console, you need to attach another console?

*Oh, the pain.*

BlindMaphisto
04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
It is a pain but it is also an option that reduces the core price of the next console while providing BC for people who it is genuinely need it. I have three 360's so I don't care about bc especially if I have to pay for it.

Icarus4578
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't need to worry about backward compatibility either, for a different reason.

Joe Redifer
04-11-2013, 08:08 PM
It's not backwards compatibility if you can't use the discs you already own. That's like downloading a Genesis game on Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 and then suddenly declaring that any of those systems are backwards compatible with the Genesis. Peoples are silly.

Also, do most people really have cable? To me cable TV seems like a dying format.

Icarus4578
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Five years ago there were about 2 million American households without cable or satellite. That number has jumped to over 5 million. Less people care about TV programming, much like radio. Maybe it's the ridiculous amount of commercials, or the aggravating adverts popping up while watching a show, or the complete lack of quality shows/movies.

Cable's original sales pitch was that you were paying for the privilege of not seeing any commercials.

spider-prime
04-12-2013, 02:46 AM
It's not backwards compatibility if you can't use the discs you already own. That's like downloading a Genesis game on Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 and then suddenly declaring that any of those systems are backwards compatible with the Genesis. Peoples are silly.

Also, do most people really have cable? To me cable TV seems like a dying format.

You can, the add on will allow the 720 to play your discs. But, I think it's needed to play XBLA 360 games on the 720. It's kind of worthless if you already own a 360 tho.

The mini will probably be a horrible product, if it requires to be online and to play your discs on it, you will need a Xbox 720. Who would buy it? I rather just buy another Xbox 360 whenever it breaks.

Beam
04-16-2013, 01:57 AM
you know what? fuck it! i don't even care anymore. whatever comes let it.

Rubeus
05-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Basically Microsoft released speculations on an always-connect design to see how people react to it, now that they know everyone hates it, they take it back. :)

Source (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/microsoft-next-xbox-will-work-even-when-your-internet-doesnt/)
Rumor: Internal Microsoft email suggests next Xbox can work without Internet connection

Practically all speculation surrounding the next Xbox has suggested that the console will implement always-online connectivity. These rumors have brought on the impression that users will need an Internet connection to run items such as applications and, possibly, games as well.

However, an internal Microsoft email obtained by Ars Technica indicates that the company’s new console won’t necessarily be as online-forced as initially thought. The note states that the system will still work when running a Blu-ray disc, playing single-player games, and watching live TV without Internet connectivity.

“Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today’s Internet. There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should ‘just work’ regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game.”

According to Ars Technica’s sources, the next Xbox will be capable of providing TV listings and other related information, as the memo hints. It appears that the hardware will also offer an HDMI input so that consumers can hook up cable boxes to watch live TV.

Escaflowne2001
05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
In other words it was all nonsense from the start and the internet users were just getting stirred up by a false rumor. The same before the PS3 was announced.

progmetal
05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
All lies from Microsoft. The $599 PS3 was true all teh way Esca. :P

Drunken Savior
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
In other words it was all nonsense from the start and the internet users were just getting stirred up by a false rumor. The same before the PS3 was announced.

Well not to stoke rumors but...SimCity (2013) can technically be played offline as well....for 20 minutes or so, before it kicks you off your game. I'd like to hear that you don't need an internet connection at all to play games on the new Xbox, not something that is even remotely cryptic in suggesting that at some stages of play, not having an internet connection will prevent you from playing your games.

But yeah, this is most likely just people on the internet over reacting AGAIN over a rumor.

[Edit] In a discussion I had, it was brought up that this was just an internal email and not really an official announcement. While it's highly likely that this new XBox won't require an internet connection, let's not all assume that this is anything but another rumor, albeit one with a little more credibility than the 'Xbox needs to be always online' rumor that started this whole mess.

progmetal
05-07-2013, 06:39 AM
You can thank the overreacting internet, that Microsoft changed their policy on this. Remember that it was EDGE that pretty much confirmed these "Always Online
" rumors.

Like another user also said:

Of course, the existence of such a mass e-mail implies that this is a recent change in policy. My work never sends an e-mail to everyone to say, "Just FYI, the policy we've had this whole time is still the policy. Keep doing what you've been doing."

And i wonder how Microsoft can solve the "Watching Live TV" without beeing online. Does it include a Tuner?

Drunken Savior
05-07-2013, 07:36 AM
If that's what you wanna use to justify your pre-mature speculation, that's fine with me.

But nothing was ever official, it's all been people just going from A to C with no regard for the details. One guy saying "My work never sends out mass emails to restate policy" isn't any kind of proof, it's just one man speculating.

You want my speculation?

Dev Kits required an internet connection so MS could ensure that those developing games for a console that, itself, was in development were always running the newest software.

"Always Online, Always Connected" is a (shitty) ad phrase that originated with Windows 8 (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wdk/thread/26629db2-6d33-427c-a767-8c857d775079) for hardware that is constantly being updated with content from the internet, like smartphones. So instead of you fetching new content and game patches, the console does it for you so you don't have to wait to play your games. Even if the console is off, it's actually still able to receive data since 'off' is just a low power mode instead. Steam does that so all my installed games are up to date if my computer has been online. With people bitching about starting their consoles up and having to wait to download firmware and game patches that delay their gaming, this is no doubt a good feature to market.

Is this true? Fuck it...who cares....let's just wait for something official and quit this circlejerking.

Icarus4578
05-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Microsoft spread the rumor to begin with, so that's their problem, not ours for re-posting it.

(One thing I noticed in the article above is that they don't address second-hand games.)

But even if the new console can play everything without an internet connection, what difference does it make when practically every third-party game will be available for both PS4 and PC? Aside from the obvious graphic upgrade that comes with each new console, the software remains predominantly the same ...no, I take that back. Software is even less original. Oh, and hello, what happened to video game soundtracks? They all sound exactly the same. But alas, nobody cares. People will see Battlefield 5 with a billion polygons onscreen running at 90 frames-per-second and they'll foam at the mouth. Truly pathetic. Developers don't even have to try anymore.

Reality
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Well lets keep in mind that someone did end up losing their job over this topic. Yeah, he was trolling, but there must have been some kind of fire for all his smoke.

Drunken Savior
05-07-2013, 03:46 PM
He got fired because he went online and spoke about Microsoft without Microsoft's approval. It happens all the time, mostly to stupid girls on Facebook.

Joe Redifer
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Does the fired dude really exist? I'm not a conspiracy guy, but his avatar was just some dumb drawing (or "drawering" for you UK folks). It does seem kind of smart to put the rumor out there and see how the public responds to it and then "fire" the idiot employee. But then again this guy may have real accounts elsewhere that I haven't seen (which are still being updated to this day) that contradicts all of my silly suppositions.

Drunken Savior
05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you are suggesting, but Adam Orth (sp?) wasn't the guy who 'leaked' the notion that this new XBox required an internet connection to work. He was part of the Creative Team (as in, he had no ties to the hardware or software development teams) who trolled people on twitter on the subject and really made Microsoft look really bad. His tweets were as immature as the majority of their customer base.

Icarus4578
05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
The rumors were being spread well before his infamous posts ever hit the internet, suggesting that it was a PR stunt to gauge consumer reaction. It goes without saying that it's counterproductive to make people angry before they've had a chance to showcase their product.

It's obvious to me that first-parties will eventually go all-digital so that they can maintain control above and beyond the (hypothetical) checkout line. Both Kinect and that Illumiroom thing are essentially cameras, the latter capable of 'reading' your room and committing its 3D geometry to memory. Why not make their jobs easier by sending them the blueprints to your house, photocopies of all your personal identification, etc.? Are people really that gullible? Who know what they're doing with all this info. People are going to have to decide just how much of this corporate intrusion they're willing to tolerate merely for the sake of playing video games.

Escaflowne2001
05-08-2013, 05:59 PM
You have to be one of the most negative posters here. :smile2:

Icarus4578
05-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I'd much rather stand for something and be ostracized for it than be complacent with the way things are. I want the fun and excitement to return, the risk-taking, the imagination. I want someone to create a true video game console, not a multimedia, invasive gimmick box. Unfortunately it may take another industry crash for that to happen.

Drunken Savior
05-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Well shit, maybe you were just in the same funk I was in around 2008 before I decided to make my new 'PC purchase' into a new 'PC gaming purchase.'

Or maybe not. To each their own. Maybe you should just find a new hobby.

Icarus4578
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
I have hobbies outside of gaming, music being far and away the biggest. But that still doesn't mean that I wouldn't love for the VG industry to make a grand return to form someday. That's my hope.

Ever since you made the leap over to PC gaming, would you say that your gaming experience has improved? If so, why?

Beam
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM
seems that we'll all know what's going to happen with M$'s new console this coming tuesday.

Nem
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Im looking forward to seeing them crash and burn (if they confirm the rumors). Im sure it will be amusing.

Escaflowne2001
05-20-2013, 02:56 AM
I'll be happy when they announce it. So the internet can stop bitching and moaning about things that are never going to happen.

spider-prime
05-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Well shit, maybe you were just in the same funk I was in around 2008 before I decided to make my new 'PC purchase' into a new 'PC gaming purchase.'

Or maybe not. To each their own. Maybe you should just find a new hobby.

Funny, I was the same, I wasn't really buying games cause I was all meh around them.

That's why I built a better PC too cause I wasn't caring about a lot of console games at the time. I was playing mostly PC games at the time.

Sulblazer
05-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Ditto...been waiting for my beta invite to Wildstar. Looks like a WoW clone....but then again, what mmorpg doesn't? Meanwhile....next up: Anomaly 2.