PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Splinter Cell extras

Alucard
02-04-2003, 03:38 AM
Ubi Soft today revealed that the PlayStation 2 port of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, the critically acclaimed stealth game which is already available for Xbox, will come packed with several extras that weren't in the version on Microsoft's console. Four new levels in the Power Plant area are among the additions, as are 30 minutes of new cinematics. The game's hero, Sam Fisher, can now use a binocular-vision peripheral. And besides Dolby Pro Logic II sound support, Splinter Cell on the PS2 will have an original four-minute introduction with music performed by the Prague Orchestra.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1044308309,51441,

Renegade X
02-04-2003, 11:17 AM
The only "extra" in the game is the intro.... the Powerplant level and extra gaget will be avaible on the XBOX (gotta love that XBOX Live support) what they should be telling us is how much the graphics are or aren't going to suffer with the PS2 version...

Black Sugar
02-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Renegade X
The only "extra" in the game is the intro.... the Powerplant level and extra gaget will be avaible on the XBOX (gotta love that XBOX Live support) what they should be telling us is how much the graphics are or aren't going to suffer with the PS2 version...

extra such as the binocular and some other stuffs won't be available in the Xbox version.

Renegade X
02-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
extra such as the binocular and some other stuffs won't be available in the Xbox version.

Yes they will, thats one of the things about the XBOX having a hard drive.... The footage and stuff might not be avalible, but sorry, the new gadgets and levels will also be on the XBOX, thats why you see the XBOX Live Support stamp on the box art of the XBOX version.

Kid0_oIcarus
02-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Um.. If it came to a "inside info" contest, I woulWd think BB might have the advantage....

What about the Gamecube?

Drunken Savior
02-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah, Renegade is right. Unless they plan to make completely new levels for the XBox via XBox Live, it is most likely that soon (or even right now) subscribers can download all those new things too. As for the binoculars...what's wrong with the rifle scope?

I don't think the GC will suffer graphically unless you put it side by side with the Xbox. But I don't know how well PS2 will look. I'm sure it'll look decent.

Black Sugar
02-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Yes they will, thats one of the things about the XBOX having a hard drive.... The footage and stuff might not be avalible, but sorry, the new gadgets and levels will also be on the XBOX, thats why you see the XBOX Live Support stamp on the box art of the XBOX version.

This aint really wise to debate with me on that matter. :sing:
But I'll check and keep you guys posted .

Black Sugar
02-04-2003, 08:07 PM
I checked, and my comments still stand. Xbox won't have the new levels or the new gadgets found in the PS2 version. Xbox owners will have the capabilities of downloading stuffs from Xbox live,true. But this doesn't have nothing to do with those found in PS2.

Futher than that, my lips are sealed.

Renegade X
02-04-2003, 08:14 PM
This aint really wise to debate with me on that matter. :sing:
But I'll check and keep you guys posted .

I'd really like to know what your source is... If you don't mind revealing it.

Well I'm just saying it would be pretty stupid to assume that since UbiSoft has said that about the time the PS2 and GC versions of Splinter Cell will be coming out around the time they plan to release the first update to the xbox Splinter Cell, personally, I wouldn't doubt if the xbox got what ever the PS2 gets in actual game features and level plus a few more. After all, I'm sure they've had a team working pretty much just the updates to the XBOX. Besides.... it's been said before, the XBOX is very easy for developers to develope on compared to the PS2.

Black Sugar
02-04-2003, 08:29 PM
I'd really like to know what your source is... If you don't mind revealing it.

Well I'm just saying it would be pretty stupid to assume that since UbiSoft has said that about the time the PS2 and GC versions of Splinter Cell will be coming out around the time they plan to release the first update to the xbox Splinter Cell, personally, I wouldn't doubt if the xbox got what ever the PS2 gets in actual game features and level plus a few more. After all, I'm sure they've had a team working pretty much just the updates to the XBOX. Besides.... it's been said before, the XBOX is very easy for developers to develope on compared to the PS2.

I'm not saying that the Xbox version will receive less than PS2. Only that it won't have the same kind of treatement.
As you may already know, the same team responsible for the Xbox(Ubi Soft Mtl) version aren't the same one reponsible for the PS2 version (Ubi Soft Shangai)

Renegade X
02-04-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying that the Xbox version will receive less than PS2. Only that it won't have the same kind of treatement.
As you may already know, the same team responsible for the Xbox(Ubi Soft Mtl) version aren't the same one reponsible for the PS2 version (Ubi Soft Shangai)

I get what your saying, but to me it just wouldn't make since for them to add levels and gadgets and not give the same to the XBOX, but on another hand it kind does make since since, well the XBOX may come out ahead in the SC extras department since it seems like by the time the hard drive unit for the PS2 comes out the PS4 will already be out.

I just paid a little visit to the Splinter Cell website and I found it odd that they have SC for the PS2, XBOX, PC, and GBA, but yet there is nothing to suggest that there is a GameCube version.... Can somebody tell me if UbiSoft has just desided to drop GC development of Splinter Cell??

Reality
02-04-2003, 08:47 PM
The only thing that get's me is that you haft to have Xbox Live to get these things. I don't think that's very right. If anything just make a version two of the game with the features that way you don't haft to do download it if your just picking it up. Maybe they can't do that though I really don't know. Also I agree with Drunken Savior when it comes to graphics. I do think it's going to sell less on the Gamecube. I'm not saying it's because it's the Gamecube but more of Ubi Soft deciding the release it last on the console.

Renegade X
02-05-2003, 03:22 PM
I just got done looking at some screenshots of the PS2 version, person I think they should scrap it and focus on the Gamecube.... it looks absolutely horrible..... it really really really shows how the PS2 lacks in the Anti-Aliasing department and how the XBOX can smoke the PS2.... I think UbiSoft need to add a little more than just a intro, some cutscenes, 4 levels and one gadget to the PS2 version for it to be worth getting.

Also, I saw somebody objecting to the XBOX extras being only availble thre Live, I agree, I think they should do like tecmo did and have a bonus disc that comes like bundled with the XBOX mag. that would be a whole lot better.

DeathStroke
02-05-2003, 04:35 PM
There seem to be two different opinions going around considering the PS2 port of this game. If you go strictly by the pics, the PS2 version clearly looks inferior but most other sites like Cvg, IGN, Gamespot are all saying that the game duplicates the X-box graphics pretty well. Here are the links for those too lazy to look them up themselves.....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php?
Scroll down to the bottom or just read what I've cut and pasted.

"14:33 Yikes! Anyone expecting Splinter Cell on PS2 to look a complete duffer when measured up against the Xbox version should be slapped on the head and called a naughty boy. Visually the Sony console rendition is much, much better than anticipated; in fact, just try and spot the difference in today's movie.
For anyone who really, really doesn't know, Splinter Cell is a third-person title with a heavy emphasis on stealth that sees players taking on the role of clandestine operative Sam Fisher. Applauded on Xbox, there's every indication that the PS2 version of the title, which will come with new levels and new cinematics, will be just as enticing. "

IGN Article:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/384/384820p1.html

Twelve
02-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Mwahahahahahhaaaaaa. Good. Now I feel better about the Xbox getting that juiced up version of MGS2. Life is good.

Drunken Savior
02-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer a physical copy of the new levels over downloaded as well. Mostly because if my HD gets erased (for whatever reason) than I'm shit out of luck....especially down the road when Ubi stops letting people download those levels online. (Long long long down the road).

Renegade X
02-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Nicole's Sky
Mwahahahahahhaaaaaa. Good. Now I feel better about the Xbox getting that juiced up version of MGS2. Life is good.

Well the PS2 is getting Substance too you know.... and don't laugh too much remember, the XBOX still has the upper hand a little bit with the XBOX Live support.

Twelve
02-06-2003, 04:26 PM
(grin) Don't take me too seriously when I revert to my old PS2 fanboy status.

Renegade X
02-06-2003, 07:52 PM
(grin) Don't take me too seriously when I revert to my old PS2 fanboy status.

Don't worry.... but seriously, after thinking about it, I think the PS2 might actually be getting the worse port of the 4 (Xbox, PS2, GC, PC) the graphics just aren't as good as thet XBOX's they really don't even come close. The extra four levels do entice me, but really, I could most likely just wait for them to come to the PC (you better believe that any extras that come out for any of the other ports will make it to the PC, thats Ubi Soft's stomping ground), the extra gadgets suck, I mean you already have equvilents of them already in your inventory. And as for the extra footage, I'll pass on it as well. I guess really if your a PS2 owner only this is a great thing, I'd say if you have a XBOX or GC, go with one of them, the graphics really do make this game in all honesty along with the intense stealth action.

Zod
02-06-2003, 09:06 PM
For a lot of us, superficial graphics aren't the only reason to buy a game, and think that if it plays great and has a good story, then it's a good game.

*picks up GBA and resumes not giving a sh*t about X-Box hardware*

wunko
02-06-2003, 11:36 PM
The graphics can only look so bad on PS2 and they will still be bearable to look at like most other games on PS2. Who cares so much... sure the graphics will not be as good as Xbox but it won't be extremely horrible. It sounds like from what I hear if you see the graphics on the PS2 version you will fall down dead... wait till the game comes out and judge

Renegade X
02-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Zod
For a lot of us, superficial graphics aren't the only reason to buy a game, and think that if it plays great and has a good story, then it's a good game.

*picks up GBA and resumes not giving a sh*t about X-Box hardware*

I know that but Splinter Cell is one of those games that uses the amazing graphics to support it's story and gameplay.

Twelve
02-10-2003, 06:24 PM
I know that but Splinter Cell is one of those games that uses the amazing graphics to support it's story and gameplay.

Then it isn't a good story. And from what I've heard, the story is rather mediocre.

And I'm having a hard time imagining a game where graphics and good gameplay are needed by one another.

Renegade X
02-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Then it isn't a good story. And from what I've heard, the story is rather mediocre.

And I'm having a hard time imagining a game where graphics and good gameplay are needed by one another.

Well, It's just me but I really like the story, I've always been a Tom Clancy fan, it's no way near a RPG story, but put SC's next to Metal Gear Solid 2's and it outshines it so much more.