PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Problems.

Escaflowne2001
01-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Bear in mind I'm pretty much a compelte novice when it comes to this sort of thing. Until about a week ago i've had no problems connecting to the internet but in the last week my Laptop cannot connect at all.

Instead I get this message "Windows can't connect to the hidden network". I have no idea what that is and I haven't changed any settings. It's just started to happen.

From what I can see on the Internet it seems to be a Windows 7 problem but I can't really see a solution (or a can't understand the solution). I can still connect wired with a ethernet cable it's only effecting the wireless.

Likewise it's only effecting my Laptop and not the desktop or other Laptop in the house.

Drunken Savior
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Is your laptop trying to save power by automatically turning off your wifi card?

Check it by right clicking the wifi meter on the bottom right task bar.
Open "Open Network and Sharing Center" and then "Change Adapter Settings" found in the left bar.
Right click on your wifi card and select "Properties."
In that menu, select the "Configure" button.
Then select the "Power Management" tab and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.

Escaflowne2001
01-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Hmmm... It wasn't that. It was ticked so I unticked it. Reset the Laptop and Router. Waited for a while but still can't connect. I can connect to the BT hotspot which is accessible from my house.

So it must be something related to my connection rather then my Laptop I guess.

Drunken Savior
01-25-2013, 04:42 AM
So it must be something related to my connection rather then my Laptop I guess.

Sounds like that might be a possibility? It might be time to reset the router and set it up from default settings again.

How old is your router and your dsl/cable modem? Is it possible that one, or both, are faulty, or do some items still connect to them without problem?

Chronos
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
can other computers in the house connect via the router? Can you connect directly to the modem without the router? If i had to guess, I'd say faulty router.

Escaflowne2001
02-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Oops I forgot i posted here. Well the problem was fixed though i still don't know what the problem was.

I took my Laptop over to my parents house to see if I could connect to there internet and it worked fine straight away. When I returned home and tried by Laptop again it connected here aswell.

Maybe connecting to a different network connection kickstarted something in my Laptop? don't really know. Well the important thing is it works now.

stroopwafel
02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Sounds like it just needed to refresh the IP number :p