PDA

View Full Version : Half Life Marathon

Chronos
09-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Anyone else playing black mesa and then half life 2 back to back?

/nerd

Chronos
09-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Finished installing. I never played the original half-life, so I'm pretty excited that this mod finally came out.

Northeastmonk
09-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I saw it a while back and downloading it now. I have owned both for a while. I also had HL on PS2 way back when.

KingOfSentinels
09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm waiting for it to be done before playing it, and it'll probably be on Steam by then too, so win win.

Northeastmonk
09-15-2012, 01:12 PM
dbmod has a very weird .zip.001/.002 format for their files. Plus they aren't the standard 3.1 gb this mod is supposed to be in. There's better links in their mirror section.

It looks fantastic.

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

Chronos
09-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm waiting for it to be done before playing it, and it'll probably be on Steam by then too, so win win.

Can't find the quote on their forums, but this is full release. Almost certainly there won't be any major patches, just something minor. I wouldn't doubt the greenlight release will be the same as this one. Also technically, this is the steam version as it downloads right into your library and doesn't even play as a non steam game.

Anyway, I'm about 8 hours into it and it's amazing. Feeling that hl2 immersion. They really did a sick job.

KingOfSentinels
09-15-2012, 02:33 PM
The legendary mod project Black Mesa Source an almost complete rebuild of the original Half-Life is now out and ready to go. It covers the whole game up to Xen, with that bit due to arrive later. Everything else is ready to go though, from the tentacles of Blast Silo to the headcrab zombies, and you can attempt to get at its files right now!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/14/black-mesa-source-finally-released-download-it-now/

I'm just going off that.

Chronos
09-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I know. They said xen is tough somewhere on their forums and they're working on it. Isn't the greenlight release pretty soon though? I don't think xen will be ready by then.

KingOfSentinels
09-15-2012, 02:39 PM
So yeah, I'm waiting till it's done. No idea when it'll be on Steam but it isn't even listed yet so I don't think it'll be that soon. They'll probably release it finished on Steam, I'll get it then. I'd hate to play and then have to wait for the rest, would rather have an interrupted experience.

Chronos
09-15-2012, 02:41 PM
yeah i'm all hopped up on half-life, thought you meant you were waiting for the greenlight release when i first read that post.

Northeastmonk
09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I got it loaded, The installation requires you have the SDK Source mod 2007 installed. Then once you install from the Black Mesa.exe it will load everything into the mod section of Steam, so dont change the path of the directory installation. Once you finish installation it will prompt Steam to either run it through Source, or it will begin to download it if you don't have it installed.

It looks fantastic. I enjoyed the opening sequence a lot more too.

I also picked up the soundtrack.
R8fW_SeNm_8

Pikachief
09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I've only played Half-Life 2 and I don't really remember the game. I bought the Half-Life pack on a steam sale once and kept putting it off.

Now that this is out I'm going to play the whole series now :P