PDA

View Full Version : NYT: EA tried to buy Valve

Reality
09-11-2012, 02:07 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/10/nyt-ea-tried-to-buy-valve/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/09/valvelogolarge.jpg

EA has tried "over the years" to buy out Valve, the New York Times reports. These talks, had they ever reached negotiation, would have valued Valve at "well over $1 billion," NYT says, which is most likely a ridiculous understatement.

Valve is a private company controlled by founder Gabe Newell, who doesn't release any of its financials, but Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter estimates Valve is worth $2.5 billion today.

Newell says it's likely Valve's employees would scatter and the company would "disintegrate" before it would be sold.

"It's way more likely we would head in that direction than say, 'Let's find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,'" Newell says.

You don't need Valve. Origin is good enough with its own merit.

spider-prime
09-11-2012, 02:42 AM
I think this was before Origin and they just gave up and made Origin instead.

But Fuck Origin, GoG and steam are the only services I'm going to use for DD video games.... well Desura also, ONLY cause they get tons of free games on there. I haven't bought a game and I have over 40 games on my account. I haven't touched my Origin account since the Beta to BF3.

KingOfSentinels
09-11-2012, 03:02 AM
You don't need Valve. Origin is good enough with its own merit.

Oh you.

Thank God EA didn't buy Valve is all I'll say, and I agree with Spider, Steam and GOG is all I need with a little sprinkle of Desura. You should buy Bloody Trapland on Desura though, it's so good. It's like a cross between Super Meat Boy and Mario Bros. but even harder than Meat Boy and it's multiplayer. Fantastic game.

Escaflowne2001
09-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Most likely around the time EA published a few Valve games.

spider-prime
09-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Oh you.

Thank God EA didn't buy Valve is all I'll say, and I agree with Spider, Steam and GOG is all I need with a little sprinkle of Desura. You should buy Bloody Trapland on Desura though, it's so good. It's like a cross between Super Meat Boy and Mario Bros. but even harder than Meat Boy and it's multiplayer. Fantastic game.

I don't think any DD platform will ever get has many games that steam does. It's too much of a catch up game for origin with features and games that their service has.

People may get BF3 and ME3 on there, but I can't see people going out and buying tons of games on there unless the sales were better than steams, which will never happen, since EA hates sales.

Nem
09-11-2012, 10:45 AM
"It's way more likely we would head in that direction than say, 'Let's find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,'" Newell says.

This a million times over. Hope they learn now that selling out is not a good solution for any company. Its hurts a bit inside to see Bioware beeing twisted to crap by EA.