PDA

View Full Version : XBLA - Dust: An Elysian Tale

eastx
08-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Cg81GcutanQ

Dust is an amazing Metroidvania game that comes from one single developer, plus a bunch of sound people and professional voice actors like Frank Welker.

It's also the best game I've played this year. Great, fully voiced acted story (skippable if you're in a hurry), huge world, absolutely beautiful backgrounds, and deep combat. Lots of abilities to discover and unlock new areas with, a good crafting system, and deep, combolicious combat.

Coming Wednesday, August 15 for 1200 Points ($15). If you like the genre, you're quite likely to enjoy it.

calintz
08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
a third thread? haha
http://the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27567
http://the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217

eastx
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
a third thread? haha
http://the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27567
http://the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217

Crap, I didn't see those in the search results. Do they come up when you search for it?

calintz
08-13-2012, 02:58 AM
yeah that's how i found them
i just made sure it searched for titles only

eastx
08-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Ah well. I may not have scrolled down far enough, given how old those threads are. Now they're linked for reference. ~ ~

calintz
08-13-2012, 03:08 AM
but yeah, anyway - i was really hoping for a steam release - given it's indy and most indy games eventually get to steam...

haven't dusted off my xbox in ages :(

Alucard
08-13-2012, 03:17 AM
haven't dusted off my xbox in ages :(

Consoles are good at that. Gathering dust. :batman:

eastx
08-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Wrote a guide (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=383757) for the 'That's More Like It' Achievement - getting a 1,000 hit combo.

gv-64tUF4cA

calintz
08-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Consoles are good at that. Gathering dust. :batman:
well the Wii keeps the gf out of my face, so it stays clean

Joe Redifer
08-13-2012, 04:34 AM
I'd like to get this game, but MicroSoft's marketplace scares me. I think I have 200 or 300 points or something like that remaining on my balance. Does MicroSoft provide a way for me to use those points and then simply charge me what the remaining points cost to get the game so that I have no remaining points left over? There IS a way to do this, right? I mean MicroSoft definitely thought this through... right?

Unless there is a way to buy this without getting rid of my remaining points completely, there will be no sale.

Also, do I earn interest on the points that have remained in my account for so long? I should be earning interest if I give someone my money and don't receive anything in return.

Alucard
08-13-2012, 04:48 AM
No on all of those I believe. They take you rmoney and you enjoy your extra unused points.

eastx
08-13-2012, 05:04 AM
No on all of those I believe. They take you rmoney and you enjoy your extra unused points.

What?! Unlike say, Steam, iTunes, the PSN store, Google Play (the Android marketplace), Nintendo's Wiiware, DSi, and 3DS shops, the Xbox 360 Marketplace doesn't pay interest? Crap, I bet you're not even insured for up to $100,000 of your balance like a real bank would be.

Thank goodness nobody is trying to derail the thread. It would be terrible if we just discussed the merits of the game independently of our goofy console biases.

Alucard
08-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Stop baiting me you mean person! You know what I mean! Steam doesnt have points. You pay the exact amount you want. None of this unwanted points left over that will never be used. RAR!

THE ICHI
08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
RAYMAN MIX WITH NINJA GAIDEN I LIKE

BlindMaphisto
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
You're all right and the game looks amazing. I think I actually have enough points to buy it. If I do I'm probably going to get it. If I don't then I'll have to think about it some more.

Joe Redifer
08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
No sale. The game is not worth buying until MicroSoft gets their act together. I don't this problem with the far superior PSN and even iTunes. Those other stores don't need to pay interest because they only charge me for what the item costs. The MicroSoft store is inferior. It's truly meant for inferior people.

Oh, and come on, eastx. Everybody on this forum knows how biased you are towards anything MicroSoft. Why, I cannot comprehend, but it's true.

calintz
08-13-2012, 07:07 PM
hahaha he really is - haven't seen him post a Sony/Nintendo exclusive thread yet :P

is eastx to Microsoft the same as Einhander is to physical game media?
i'm joking eastx...

Joe Redifer
08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
He posted the "Where Sony went wrong" thread.

Sinful Sam
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
The game looks awesome. I'll check it out. No word if this is being released on Steam later?

Northeastmonk
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I remember Neopets: The Darkest Faerie on PS2, idk why but it reminds me of a better version. (which I never played)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Neopets_-_The_Darkest_Faerie_Coverart.png

Granted I recently grabbed Odin Sphere again off of PSN. Something like this would be fun.

eastx
08-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh, and come on, eastx. Everybody on this forum knows how biased you are towards anything MicroSoft. Why, I cannot comprehend, but it's true.

I prefer the Xbox 360 for a number of reasons, including the selection of XBLA games, its superior multiplayer features, the Achievement/GamerScore system, and the fact that it came first so I've been heavily invested in it for a long time. Plus you know, I do kind of write about games on Microsoft consoles (and PC) for a living.

I've made plenty of threads for specific PC games and multiplatform games. I just don't tend to learn about exclusive games for other consoles before you guys (by which I mean everyone else besides you since you don't make game-specific threads that I'm aware of) do because I'm not as interested in those consoles and it takes enough time and energy to keep up with the games and news I follow already.

The difference between what I do and what you do is I don't go into a game's specific thread just to talk shit or try to prevent people from discussing or becoming excited for that game. The idea that people could just talk about a game and be happy for it doesn't bother me in the least, whereas it obviously goes against your cynical nature.

If I do criticize the other consoles it's because others have already brought up the issue or I found an interesting article in the weekly industry wrap-up I read. I don't hate any games platform (besides maybe the Wii) and would like them all to be successful. :P

TL;DR: Derailing threads is jerky and Dust is an awesome game.

hahaha he really is - haven't seen him post a Sony/Nintendo exclusive thread yet :P

is eastx to Microsoft the same as Einhander is to physical game media?
i'm joking eastx...

Et tu, Calintz? *cries* Oh, you were just joking. Phew! *wipes tears away*

Joe Redifer
08-14-2012, 12:31 AM
You must be new to the Magic Box and the internet in general. It is very rare that a thread stays 100% on topic. And my gripes are quite legitimate and they do have to do with the game. I want the game, it looks cool, but I won't buy it unless I can ONLY pay for the game and nothing more. I'd buy it in a heartbeat on PSN which is less evil by design. But hey, if you like MS's shitty store design, more power to you I guess. Though I'd never be able to figure out why as there is no logical reason for it.

You derail threads all the time to take jabs at Einhander. Seriously. Don't try to take the high road here. You act very unprofessional on these forums.

Alucard
08-14-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm sure it'll come to steam. Most xboxlive games do. Also PSN store has some awesome exclusives. No one should continue life without having played Flower. Just go suicide right now. Stop reading, go and do it.

eastx
08-14-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm sure it'll come to steam. Most xboxlive games do. Also PSN store has some awesome exclusives. No one should continue life without having played Flower. Just go suicide right now. Stop reading, go and do it.

That is true, PSN has some great exclusives too, like Journey, Flower, and some of the PixelJunk games. XBLA just has more IMO. Disc-wise, PS3 definitely has the advantage (not that either side has tons of retail exclusives), but I'm more into downloadable software these days.

Alucard
08-14-2012, 06:09 AM
I find your excuse to not play Flower WEAK! You will buy a ps3 this week. Or suffer my wrath.

eastx
08-14-2012, 06:18 AM
I find your excuse to not play Flower WEAK! You will buy a ps3 this week. Or suffer my wrath.

I already have one, but the Blu-Ray drive is broken so I haven't used it in a while. Guess that shouldn't stop me from trying Flower though, huh?

calintz
08-14-2012, 07:05 AM
just read up on the creator Dean Dodrill - he did the animation for Jazz Jackrabbit games

dude must like furry animals lol

Alucard
08-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I already have one, but the Blu-Ray drive is broken so I haven't used it in a while. Guess that shouldn't stop me from trying Flower though, huh?

THAT IS CORRECT! I also love Super Stardust. Theres that post apocalyptic survival game too, whatever its called. Go forth and play.

BlindMaphisto
08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Played about 15 minutes of the demo and decided it was definitely for me. Going to try to wait out a PC version.

eastx
11-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Dust Postmortem (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/postmortem_humble_hearts_dust_.php) - a must-read if you enjoy the game.

Trivia:

Castlevania gave us a lot of things, including the Mysterious Wall Chicken health item (which was added late in development thanks to our mutual love of Egoraptor's Sequelitis videos). It also gave us the visuals for Dust's double jump and slide moves (think Alucard and Richter in Symphony of the Night), the red orb/mysterious tornado, the region layout of the Sorrowing Meadow (Simon's Quest), and Fidget's projectile abilities.
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts' snow level inspired the avalanches in the Blackmoor Mountains.
Fidget's manic suggestion that Haley move her immovable forge using "an army of mutant rats! With MAGIC!" is a rather obvious reference to The Secret of NIMH. We would also refer to the incredible Mick Lauer (voice of Elder Gray Eyes) as "Mickodemus", because of his close approximation to the "Nicodemus" character from the film.
Fidget's first interaction with Sereth, the mysterious merchant, was a joking reference to the merchant in Resident Evil 4.
The Blop character in Mudpot Village, colorful regional colloquialisms and all, is based on Uncle Jeb from Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, which Alex had written.
The short interactive scene following the final confrontation was inspired by one of Alex's all-time favorite games, Another World, which was also modernized by Metal Gear Solid 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
The Baron Kane and Geehan characters were obvious nods to co-developers Chris Geehan and Alex Kain.
The "C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker" quest is, of course, inspired by the Rare classic Killer Instinct.
The "If inconvenient, come anyway" gag written into one of the many hidden notes in the game is an homage to Steven Moffat's BBC series Sherlock.
The game's maximum achievable percentage, 117 percent, is a shout-out to Halo's Master Chief.
The "What's in the Box" quest title didn't start as an homage to Se7en, but as fans of the film ourselves, we ultimately decided to leave it in.
One of the XBLA Achievements was a reference to one of Mega Man's common nicknames, while a couple others are nods to Mass Effec
Originally, Fidget would literally fly off to visit the blacksmith whenever the player crafted an item on the field, leaving Dust to fend for himself. She would return several minutes later. I eventually let the player craft wherever they were (with the right item) since it seemed like an arbitrary inconvenience otherwise.
Much of the aesthetic of Falana was influenced by my half-Korean heritage, including clothing, architecture, and many of the consumable food items. The Korean symbols in the logo art basically translate to "Dust"
There are ten character cameos from other independent games, all of which have also appeared on XBLA. As a fan myself, getting the okay from each developer was a thrill, as was creating the artwork. Two original characters were created as cameos, and HyperDuck and I had a blast with the "payoff" when all were found.