PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 may not let you boot to the desktop

Reality
08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/06/windows-8-may-not-let-you-boot-to-the-desktop/

If you were hoping that you could force Windows 8 to bypass the don't-call-it-Metro homescreen and boot straight to the familiar desktop you've come to know and love, we've got bad news. Word on the street is, Microsoft has removed this ability from the latest builds of the OS -- so you're gonna have to stare at a pile of tiles when you boot up, whether you like it or not. According to Rafael Rivera, one of the authors of Windows 8 Secrets, there is a work around that involves creating a shortcut to the desktop and scheduling it to run at boot. But, it appears that even enterprise customers will be blocked from making the standard desktop the default environment. While Redmond is no doubt implementing such a policy to enforce consistency, it could prove to be a source of frustration for big businesses, which are notoriously resistant to change. We'll just have to wait for the final release to find out for sure.

Dum Dum Duum DOOOOM.

calintz
08-07-2012, 12:04 AM
meh, it's one click...

eastx
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM
That's funny, Rafael Rivera actually works for Windows Phone Central.

Does Windows 7 let people boot to Windows Explorer? And won't Windows 8 support a hibernate and resume function like W7?

Alucard
08-07-2012, 08:03 AM
No desktop = no purchase. I dont want a fucking tablet OS on my pc. Microsoft will learn a pretty painful lesson from this. And they deserve it too.

KingOfSentinels
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
It's like they want us to not buy it. Well thankfully Windows 7 is awesome and I'll be sticking with it till MS pull their act together.

progmetal
08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Can't wait to try it. It's nice to see they try something new for a change.

eastx
08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
The desktop is still there. What does it matter if you have to take five seconds to select it instead of seeing it instantly?

Kiuju2k
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I agree with Alucard. W7 has been a wonderful experience for me personally for home and work. Can't imagine not using it.

BlindMaphisto
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
The desktop is still there. What does it matter if you have to take five seconds to select it instead of seeing it instantly?

Why would we pay for extra inconvenience no matter how small when windows 7 is so good?

eastx
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Why would we pay for extra inconvenience no matter how small when windows 7 is so good?

Windows 7 is definitely awesome. Presumably W8 will have other things going for it besides the touch-oriented Metro interface, but I'm sure many people will sit it out and wait for the next version. My only point was the inconvenience of switching to the desktop is not a big deal.

Alucard
08-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Thats not the only issue with it. Theres a long list.

Reality
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Exactly. Some versions wont let you install your own browser. All versions will make you watch ads before you see your own videos. And its currently a rumor you can't even buy the OS to install on a custom machine. Bleeeegh.

KingOfSentinels
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah I heard about that, is that just a rumour then? A friend told me about it a little while ago, that you won't be able to buy Windows 8 itself and will only be able to buy a kind of upgrade to Windows 8 for 7, Vista or XP. Needless hassle and won't help Windows 8 adoption I doubt.

Somehow MS seems to have made an OS worse than Vista. We should commend them for that at least.

Reality
08-07-2012, 06:53 PM
As of right now its only rumor but also right now there is no sku numbers for a OEM edition in circulation. Only upgrade editions.

calintz
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Exactly. Some versions wont let you install your own browser. All versions want make you watch ads before you can watch your own videos. And its currently a rumor you can't even buy the OS to install on a custom machine. Bleeeegh.

woah... makes OSX sound awesome... :P

Reality
08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah whatever. Not even the awesome OSX can beat Xbox Windows.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/07/microsoft-windows-8-games-xbox-windows/

Were you among those who jumped for joy when Windows Explorer got its new moniker? Good news, nomenclature fans, for Redmond has decided to label its new OS' built-in games and titles obtained from the Windows Store as "Xbox Windows." Along with the new branding, venerable Windows titles like Minesweeper, Solitaire and Mahjong will also offer Xbox Achievements, so you can bulk up your Gamerscore while wasting time at work. Full details of the achievement and point totals can be found at the source links below.

Alucard
08-08-2012, 04:52 AM
No shock there. Microsoft wants to own the PC gaming section too. Xbox, worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

Sinful Sam
08-08-2012, 05:03 AM
lol... MS just wants to piss off their number one consumer.

eastx
08-08-2012, 08:22 AM
You guys are silly. Xbox Windows is just the rebranding of GFWL to tie in with their most successful gaming platform. It doesn't change much of anything.

BlindMaphisto
08-08-2012, 10:22 AM
http://anongallery.org/img/4/2/windows-8.jpg

Alucard
08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Windows-Windows_8-Box_Art,J-L-348033-13.jpg

Horrible. Looks like something from the 90s.

eastx
08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Those are pretty ugly, yes.

calintz
08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
everything digital... don't have to worry about fugly box art lol