PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 720 documents leaked?

justin_credible
06-16-2012, 10:50 PM
A 56-page document from Microsoft, dating back to mid-2010, reveals company plans for a "Xbox 720." The recently leaked document has been removed since its discovery.

[More from Mashable: 15 Developers Help Atari Re-Imagine ‘Pong’ [VIDEO]]
Notable features include Xbox SmartGlass, Blu-ray support, 3D glasses, cloud-based gaming and an improved Kinect system. If the Xbox 720 described in the document is true -- Microsoft's next-generation entertainment console could
change the future of gaming.

The console will be loaded with a 1080p output with full 3D support, according to The Verge. Watch the video above to see what the follow-up to the Xbox 360 follow up might look like.
[More from Mashable: Sid Meier on 10-Year Civ Game: ‘We Couldn’t Test for That’]

The sleek black Xbox 720 portrayed in the documents will seemingly be the only entertainment device you'll need. Microsoft's goal is to sell 100 million units at around $299 each in 2013. New Kinect 2 hardware will incorporate better voice recognition, hardware processing and stereo imaging.

The documents also showcase plans for the "Fortaleza" Kinect glasses -- which will be sold separately. The glasses will be able to connect to Wi-Fi and incorporate augmented reality into gaming. It's marked for a 2014 debut.
What do you hope Microsoft includes in the new Xbox 720 package? Tell us in the comments.

This story originally published on Mashable here.

http://news.yahoo.com/leaked-documents-reveal-microsofts-next-xbox-video-175656287.html

There's a video talking about it in the link if you prefer that (not a Youtube video though)

justin_credible
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
http://www.abload.de/img/xbox0z71f.jpg

Badrats Studio
06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Low power consumption is relieving since the heat won't be as much as previous model.

SavedFromSin
06-17-2012, 01:19 AM
After the god awful experience I had at launch until they 'fixed' the RROD with the Xbox 360 (5 systems broken), I am very very hesitant to even purchase any new Microsoft system.

spider-prime
06-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I have no clue to this day why anyone would support the Xbox after the RROD problems it had for almost half of it's life span. I also wouldn't have owned a PS3 but I got it for my birthday for FREEEEEEEEEEE! SO SUCK IT!

Kiuju2k
06-17-2012, 01:29 AM
That shit is fake as hell.

Really? Neogaf as a legitimate source? lolol

Joe Redifer
06-17-2012, 01:50 AM

I agree. Doesn't seem legit at all.

Kiuju2k
06-17-2012, 01:55 AM
I just checked the thread out at Gaf and I read the twitter stuff. This is what I want for game journalist, I want them to be paid more. I want whoever they work for to pay them whatever it is they need in order for them to do their jobs(ie fact checking). This took me two seconds to look at and determine... "hey, maybe I should be a bit skeptical".

It's a basic diagram that can be made in smartdraw or visio, seriously, I don't understand why this is on yahoo news or any other news outlet before even being fact checked. Why is there no rumor disclaimer? Remember in old days of EGM where you had a rumor section? What happened to that?

zechin
06-17-2012, 02:06 AM
10 year lifecycle = *gun to own head*

Northeastmonk
06-17-2012, 02:48 AM
It's because the industry is a who's who anymore. The industry now is a wheel of celebrities, pro gamers, and people who made something with gaming in their title (comedy, blog, et cetera).

Everyone is trying to make a buck off it. I think pretty soon we'll be taught how to play the games, versus wanting more from the industry. Strengthen their grip.

I did not understand how everyone forgave the RROD, yet annihilated the PS3 because of it's price tag of $599USD.

I do like the longer console span, but wow it really flies towards the end. Especially now considering everyone's cheek to cheek about new hardware.

Yea; I do agree game journalist deserve more. They sort of drive the path of news and interpret it to the media. Which is a very important aspect when defending and even promoting video games. You can't always be on your toes with no knowledge of the issue. When your average GameStop employee/customer simply can't do, sadly.

Kiuju2k
06-17-2012, 03:23 AM
I think they should just weed out all of the bloggers, that's part of the problem right there.

Badrats Studio
06-17-2012, 03:31 AM
But I heard MS take the document down only hours after it being released. Kinda suspicious, if you ask me.

Alucard
06-17-2012, 03:56 AM
299 my fucking arse.

calintz
06-17-2012, 04:05 AM
kinky

Einhander
06-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Really? Neogaf as a legitimate source? lolol

More legit than half the sites that ran with this story.

Reality
06-17-2012, 07:09 AM
With all the implantations of corporate advertising Microsoft is implanting in the next Xbox update, I can't wait to see if they finally figure out how to add commercials to our video games with this next system.

Kiuju2k
06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
More legit than half the sites that ran with this story

That's sad. I also noticed Magicbox also ran with the story. I mean I would at least put "rumor" in the headline or something. Just because microsofts lawyers got involved doesn't make it legitimate. I can strum up some bullshit and see it pass as real news.

justin_credible
06-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey I put a question mark after the title, as long as you do that you can put anything you want before it?

But my question is how was this confirmed to be fake if M$ lawyers are getting involved? Why would they go after something fake? That makes no sense?

Even if fake I still believe most of it will accidently be correct, except for the $299 price tag.

Nem
06-17-2012, 04:23 PM
299 my fucking arse.

With kinect bundled aswell... the angels would fall from the sky if that happened.
Microsoft is way too greedy to ever come out with something like that.

Kiuju2k
06-17-2012, 04:24 PM
It doesn't matter. This proves nothing, and as for lawyers, M$ lawyers like all corporate lawyers are retained and are being paid regardless, so what is it to them to shut something that may or may not be true.

I just find it way too convenient and too loosely created. Have you looked at it? Looks like the fake ps3 document that went around, and at least that looked a little more professional and clean.

justin_credible
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
It doesn't matter. This proves nothing, and as for lawyers, M$ lawyers like all corporate lawyers are retained and are being paid regardless, so what is it to them to shut something that may or may not be true.

I just find it way too convenient and too loosely created. Have you looked at it? Looks like the fake ps3 document that went around, and at least that looked a little more professional and clean.

You're just giving your opinion as if it's fact though. Magicbox and Gamespot have it posted and they have not said it's fake. I'm not saying it's real for 100% fact, but there's no where other than your opinion that I've seen confirming it's fake. And I'm sorry but that's ridiculous and I do not agree that lawyers are going to take the time to take down a fake document. It certainly adds more logs to the fire for Microsoft lawyers to be getting involved.

If it's fake it's fake fine, but your opinion is not automatically fact because you THINK it's so. So either say "IMO" or have something to back your claim up, that's all I'm saying. My point is an opinion can not be confirmation that it's fake, no matter how right you think you are.

And BTW Magicbox did indeed put Rumor did you look on the main page?

If you Google it, there are tons of sites reporting this.

Reality
06-17-2012, 05:58 PM
28nm CPUs? I wasn't aware they even had a grip on production for those yet. Last I read on them (two days ago) they are still way behind schedule and are trying to get new plants built so they can bring them out on a wider scale for the PC scene.

Sulblazer
06-17-2012, 06:06 PM
I agree with justin. Kiuju2k, I don't know how you can be so sure it's fake based on circumstantial evidence you provided. Fine, you may not have much faith in the release source...but that doesn't prove anything. Fine, the M$ laywers are retained and paid...but that doesn't prove anything.

And Magic Box did stipulate that the listed 720 specs as Rumor.

I will agree, however, that I suspect this to be a fake as well. In any case, time will tell.

eastx
06-18-2012, 02:17 AM
It sounds pretty real to me. We should take bets and see who comes out right in the end!

Joe Redifer
06-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Like religion, you simply need to believe it's real without any evidence but instead what others around you say despite their qualifications or lack thereof. Or you can be like me... don't believe it until evidence proves otherwise. I'll base it on actual facts and until then I'm not gonna waste my time thinking this is real.

Sulblazer
06-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Like religion, you simply need to believe it's real without any evidence but instead what others around you say despite their qualifications or lack thereof. Or you can be like me... don't believe it until evidence proves otherwise. I'll base it on actual facts and until then I'm not gonna waste my time thinking this is real.

I don't think anyone is arguing about whether or not there is evidence, because clearly there is; the question is about the credibility of the evidence provided (the leaked documents). Those documents could, in fact, be genuine...or could be fake. The problem is that there's no simple way to make a good determination of the validity of the evidence. So to make a claim of its authenticity or falsity only begs the question, "How are you so sure?", and unless the claim is backed up by additional, verifiable evidence, then the only answer to that question should be, "Guess I'm not sure." I think that is why Justin_credible takes issue with kiuju2k claim about the documents' falsity. Until there's more information, there's just no way to be sure either way.

Ernst
06-18-2012, 07:56 AM

A fan of Humeian style empiricism I see. Quite right, quite right. Good to throw in a little Cartesean rationality as well though.

BlindMaphisto
06-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I could see this as having been make just to make MS look bad when they release actual hardware details that arn't as good as that with a price that isn't as good either. Which is probably why the lawyers went after it.

Drunken Savior
06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Look at all these little Michael Pachters here...

spider-prime
06-19-2012, 03:57 AM
sooo cuteeeeeee!

Joe Redifer
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM

LOL! Now everyone just needs to post controversial articles on why it will fail..

Kiuju2k
06-20-2012, 12:54 AM

Yeah your right, we should get paid for this. I'm an game analyst for the magicbox.com lololol. Now i'm going to start my own blog and say random things to get people to look at my site.

Anyway I still think the documents are fake. If they aren't, fire the guy that created it.

Joe Redifer
06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
If they aren't, fire the guy that created it.

Agreed. It looks very amateur at best. $299 with Kinect v2? 100 MM (mega millions?) lifetime sales? A CPU and a GPU that's always on? Why is that a thought bubble? More CPUs than the PS3 has games? I would also question why this flow chart even needed to exist in the first place. Programmers certainly won't benefit. Publishers are fairly ignorant when it comes to technology, they're just concerned with how it will sell. Gamestop clerks can't benefit from this. So...??

Serious question: How can anyone look at that and think it's legit? Do you not have a bullshit detector? That's pretty insulting towards MicroSoft if you think they would honestly parade around something so amateurish like that. This is like someone drawing something in Paint and saying it's a new screenshot from Halo 96 and the internet believes it.

eastx
06-20-2012, 01:39 AM
The chart in the second post of this thread doesn't look amateurish at all. The video in the link of the first post won't show up though - does it show something different? And this document has already been vetted by professional journalists like those at the Verge and passed muster, so it certainly can't be as bad as what you're saying.

Drunken Savior
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
And what if this isn't meant for the public or any other form of advertisement? What if it's an outdated presentation meant for Microsoft executives to outline the Xbox's future?

Aliens.

Am I doing it right?

Joe Redifer
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
You'd at least think they'd get rid of the typos (100mm?) and the tacky thought bubbles even for an internal presentation. But then again MS isn't full of the brightest people around.

11 CPUs and 2 GPUs bundled with Kinect 2 for $299?

justin_credible
06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
100mm = 100 Microsoft million, which translates to about 5 million IRL.

justin_credible
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
The video in the link of the first post won't show up though -

Still working for me.

KingOfSentinels
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
11 CPUs and 2 GPUs bundled with Kinect 2 for $299?

I just can't see that realistically ever happening. Regardless of if it's genuine or not, I just cannot see those specs and that price ever going hand in hand.

They'll tone down the hardware, or bring up the price. If this is even real.

Drunken Savior
06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Million is represented by 'MM' in finances.

Joe Redifer
06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Why's that? Million Monies?

Drunken Savior
06-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Because the roman numeral 'M' is 1,000.

spider-prime
06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Damn romans, they can't give up their power, they still have to shove their numerical system on us!

justin_credible
06-21-2012, 12:17 AM

Pachter speaks! (http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720-due-spring-2014-analyst-6383554) lol

Badrats Studio
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
This sounds serious enough

http://kotaku.com/5920217/microsoft-doesnt-want-you-to-read-that-leaked-xbox-720-document

Joe Redifer
06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Well I'm not 100% convinced it is a hoax any more (more like 56%), but I wonder if MS' response would be the same, hoax or not.

I still call BS on the specs, though.

Zack
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
if microsoft actually produced this document, i'm 99% sure it was made with the intention of leaking it just to damage potential wii-u sales. XBOX720 WITH 24722x THE POWER OF THE WII-U, ONLY $299!!

justin_credible
06-21-2012, 11:50 PM
irK7CwvEFmI

I'd like to give a big LOL to Kiuju2k and Joe for "confirming" this is fake for everybody. haha

Kiuju2k
06-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Fuck it, I still call bullshit.

Joe Redifer
06-22-2012, 06:21 AM
So you guys honestly believe those specs?

KingOfSentinels
06-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I can believe them; but not at that price.

eastx
06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
They could release it as a loss leader, let's not forget. But yeah, the price could have just been a placeholder.

Badrats Studio
06-23-2012, 02:03 AM
That the document wasn't recently made anyway. Just "leaked" now instead two years ago.

Northeastmonk
06-23-2012, 02:45 AM
The next Xbox seems to promise us enemies in our living rooms. This means creativity will be going down the drain and thus force on us generic game designers and half ass quality games.

Kinect isn't the answer, in many ways it provides some great mechanics. But I don't see myself using it with every game like MS wants me to. They can lose me as a customer the day that starts happening.

IMO they will kill gaming. Reforming it and making it a playing field to cash in on gamers is whats killing the industry. They might as well hit the restart button to their fan base.

Sports, Sports, Sports, Money, Kinect - MS Chant for 2012

Joe Redifer
06-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Kinect isn't the answer

Microsoft disagrees. Don't look for them to stop trying to shove Kinect up our collective asses any time soon. Kinect isn't making or keeping anyone skinny. It's not a revolutionary way to play games. It wouldn't even exist if Nintendo didn't make money with the Wii.

Kiuju2k
06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Sports, Sports, Sports, Money, Kinect - MS Chant for 2012

:(

justin_credible
06-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I hope all games are kinect on the 720 and there's no controller at all. I say that only for financial reasons, because then I wouldn't have to buy one!

Northeastmonk
06-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Your probably right. Controllers are going to be more expensive with more powerful consoles. Unless they can budget and make the 360 controller compatible.

I feel as if the whole next gen is unpredictable. Nintendo sure has a head start because there is only a few more months until the WiiU. But there are at least a dozen or so current gen games worth checking out.

Why couldn't half the functions for Kinect now have been available about a year ago? I feel as though MS had a few lousy years with the 360 and some good. And now they are pushing a new console when their current model has just gotten a major makeover.

Then again nothing is official and everything has been on the rumor mill for months now.

justin_credible
06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I've decided not to participate in the next gen for around 2 to 3 years after the systems launch. I am tired of getting burned by buying the early models that RROD or YLOD or whatever, or just don't have as cool of features as the later models Slims that are bound to come out that work like the original ones should. (meaning, they just work) The new 3DS XL was the last straw. I will be a very late participant for any console or handheld from now on. I will not double dip which I think is the intention of every console/handheld maker these days, they want each gamer to buy two of the same console. I refuse.

I have plenty of games from this gen and early to tide me over in the meantime.

Northeastmonk
06-24-2012, 12:16 AM
The idea of a new console was exciting back in 05/06. But there have been some major issues like you are saying (RROD, YLOD) that were simply not worth the time. And when you consider how much you spend then and how much you could of saved by just waiting a few months.

I want my games to be a little less expensive. Its such an easy argument to say $60 is way too much to spend on some of the games on the market now. And yet there are still those who feel its at the right price. But as far as consoles go. I don't want to spend the $500 or $600 unless its as good as the current hardware.

Half of the industry probably doesn't pay full price. They give each other free copies and say, hey "Buy our stuff". IMO they need to live on a gamers budget and buy their products full price. Like when they gave everyone a free Xbox 360 one year *forgot which one*. Psshh

justin_credible
06-24-2012, 12:25 AM
I encourage others to do the same, wait 2 or 3 years. It's all in your head that you *have* to buy a new system just because it just came out. If you wait you can go back and play ever game on the system anyway, and ones that are already out for cheaper. You'll also be getting the better model for probably cheaper than the original model. But that's just my advice but everyone will do what they want but there are so many games I haven't even started from this gen and even earlier gens that I'm just going to stop having that mentality like "I have to buy it because it's new!"

If people were smart and starting catching on to companies bullshit about making better models of the same consoles and stop buying the first version companies will have to adjust and do it right the first time, like they should anyway.

Northeastmonk
06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I remember buying the PS3 for $600 at Best Buy. I remember spending around $800 for Resistance, a warranty and a free copy of Casino Royal. It was probably one of the most amazing moments. So much better then 360s was with PDZ and Kameo.

But what I mean is that I spent that much then and then 2 to 3 years was when the console started getting its popular titles. I could of waited and saved a ton.

I had my 360 sent back 3 times and the games didn't get good until Oblivion.

So I am done with first models unless I get it cheap. Granted I do impulse buy and who knows what will be out. But seriously look at how even good games go down in price. Its a matter of knowing when and where to buy.

Joe Redifer
06-24-2012, 01:12 AM
That the document wasn't recently made anyway. Just "leaked" now instead two years ago.

If this is true, then the document is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the document is legitimate or not or what the specs say. A lot can change in two years and I imagine that they have. The only worthwhile information that it gives us is that they are looking at a price around $300 smackaroos.

Kiuju2k
06-24-2012, 01:32 AM
yeah if that was their estimates in 2010 then it should be even better.

BF3 @ 60fps 1080p LETS GO!!!!

#BF3pcgraphicsonconsole #60fps #1080p #nextgenpcBF3graphicsonconsole60fps1080pLETSGO!

eastx
06-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Here's a good article that analyzes how feasible some of these things are and comes to the conclusion that it's genuine but basically wishful thinking and outdated:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-720-leak-fact-or-fantasy

Sulblazer
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
As gaming hardware and software has become increasingly complicated, there are bound to be a few major glitches that'll rear their heads in the first year. I tend to be a waiter...so I'mma sit on my checkbook til most of the serious hardware/software kinks have been worked out. Although that's subject to change depending on the release titles...but still, I don't remember having purchased any single console or handheld on opening day. I usually wait for the 50-100 dollar drop before I dive in.

eastx
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
The Dreamcast and the Xbox 360 are the only two consoles I've bought at launch. Each one died eventually, but I replaced 'em with working units and have had no more problems since.

Drunken Savior
06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
The N64 is the only console I've gotten at launch. Man, I remember getting home from school and just sitting in my father's recliner for 3 hours until he got home with it on his way home from work.

Joe Redifer
06-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Consoles I've gotten at launch:

Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sega Saturn
Sony Playstation
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS

All still working. Well, except the Nintendo DS. It may still work, but I sold it when I got the DS Light.

KingOfSentinels
06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
PS2 is my only launch day console I've gotten. The PS1 was the first console I ever played on (epic PC gamer before that) and loved it, Final Fantasy 8 was the first one I played, and so the PS2 couldn't have come out any sooner. I went through about 4 of them, but it was worth it.

And yes Chrome, I have spelt "couldn't" right, stop underlining it red but not giving me any suggestions as to why it's wrong. :(

Northeastmonk
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and N64 at launch.

I could of had a 360 but there was a dumb list and I was close to the top. I blame either MS or EB Games for that one.

The rest I got weeks or months after. I know I had an Xbox about 2 weeks after it launched.

The worst one was when I got the N64, because we called around everywhere and eventually picked one up at a Sears at 7pm. But the worst part was that it went in a closet downstairs until Christmas. I had around 8 or 9 kids from the neighborhood over just to take a look at it. lol

justin_credible
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I won a N64 from Target. Only thing I ever won in my life that I recall.

Oh and I should have won an Xbox from Taco Bell "Win it before you buy it" Biggest farse false advertisement in the history of mankind. I got a buncha tickets and the Xbox was released to stores and I kept them another 2 months then threw them away. Then like 5 months later (about 7 months after the Xbox was released) they send me something in the mail that I had won. But I called and told them I threw away the ticket because the promotion was "Win it BEFORE you could buy it" But it fell on deaf ears I had to have the ticket to win it. I vowed to never get an Xbox or eat at Taco Bell again, two vowels which were both broken.

Northeastmonk
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I won a N64 from Target. Only thing I ever won in my life that I recall.

Oh and I should have won an Xbox from Taco Bell "Win it before you buy it" Biggest farse false advertisement in the history of mankind. I got a buncha tickets and the Xbox was released to stores and I kept them another 2 months then threw them away. Then like 5 months later (about 7 months after the Xbox was released) they send me something in the mail that I had won. But I called and told them I threw away the ticket because the promotion was "Win it BEFORE you could buy it" But it fell on deaf ears I had to have the ticket to win it. I vowed to never get an Xbox or eat at Taco Bell again, two vowels which were both broken.

Reminds me of how Taco Bell was having the "Win a Vita" contest a month ago.

justin_credible
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah someone on another forum I go to won one. That's about the only way I would get a Vita. http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/268/spidey_lol.gif

Northeastmonk
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
How did you win from Target? I know they've gone from the cabinet to the flat boxes (which are just ugly imo).

justin_credible
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Just a drawing at my local Target around Christmas time. I don't think it was nationwide or anything just at that one Target.

Northeastmonk
06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Target was great for having games before their release date. Now a days all you see is crummy store demos. Even in GameStop they never have anything to try out that isn't a few years old.

justin_credible
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah Target used to kick ass for in store demos. I think it's the first place I ever got to try a Playstation 1, and possibly other systems that I can't remember.

There's two in my city but I haven't stepped in one in years.

eastx
07-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Corroborating patent evidence (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/10/what-microsofts-new-patent-tells-us-about-xbox-720)

Joe Redifer
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
God I wish they would stop trying to shove Kinect down our throats. It's just like Bing, they don't know when to throw in the towel.

justin_credible
07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
God I wish they would stop trying to shove Kinect down our throats. It's just like Bing, they don't know when to throw in the towel.

Yeah there's like 10 kinects at a pawn shop right on the next block from my house for $29.99(!) and I still have no interest in getting one.

Joe Redifer
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
It's almost as if Microsoft thinks "People aren't getting what this is all about. We'll ramp advertising even more!" No, we know what it is and it is not a way we want to play games. Maybe an occasional game with the family or some shit AT MOST. Even the Wii is better than Kinect. Microsoft is just sad, really.

justin_credible
07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
It's almost as if Microsoft thinks "People aren't getting what this is all about. We'll ramp advertising even more!" No, we know what it is and it is not a way we want to play games. Maybe an occasional game with the family or some shit AT MOST. Even the Wii is better than Kinect. Microsoft is just sad, really.

Yep at least Sony was smart enough to make Move non essential other than the occasional game. Sadly the games you can use Move on are waaaay better than the ones for Kinect. I don't see Sony basing PS4 off Move, but you never know.

Joe Redifer
07-12-2012, 12:50 AM
That would suck if they did, but I don't think they're that dumb. They know people just want to sit back and play videogames.

Icarus4578
07-20-2012, 08:37 AM
They're building Kinect into their next console, so obviously they have plans for utilizing it. I agree 100% with what you're saying, Joe. All these gimmicks (Kinect, PS Move, Wii-mote) need to go away. The only thing you need for a VG console is a good controller.

Escaflowne2001
07-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Kinect built into there next Xbox, there are a couple of Kinect games I do want to play (Steel Battalion, Rise of Nightmares) but that's not enough to make me buy a Kinect as is. If it was built in that wouldn't be a problem.

Nindalf
07-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Consoles I've gotten at launch:

Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sega Saturn
Sony Playstation
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS

All still working. Well, except the Nintendo DS. It may still work, but I sold it when I got the DS Light.

oh man, why do that to yourself?

Nem
07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Wouldnt the Saturn at launch be even worse? I remember it cost a fortune.

Only console i bought at launch was the dreamcast. Saturn, the Sega CD/Mega CD i bought close to release. They were all worth it somehow in the end. Sega CD for Sonic CD and Saturn for all the great games.

And by the way, Genesis was better than the SNES in the west: fact.

Too bad Sonic went to hell when they began the whole 3D thing. It was a fantastic game back in the 2D glory days.

Icarus4578
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Genesis was every bit as good a console as the SNES. Sometimes the SNES would have better software at one moment and then the Genesis would take the lead. Back and forth it went.

Nem, you're right: 2D Sonic obliterates the 3D installments. Indeed, is there any series by Sega which started off as 2D and actually maintained quality after making the transition to 3D? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. PSO was alright but definitely not in the same league as I-IV.

Dj Jimmi Zero
07-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Genesis was every bit as good a console as the SNES. Sometimes the SNES would have better software at one moment and then the Genesis would take the lead. Back and forth it went.

Nem, you're right: 2D Sonic obliterates the 3D installments. Indeed, is there any series by Sega which started off as 2D and actually maintained quality after making the transition to 3D? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. PSO was alright but definitely not in the same league as I-IV.

I had the SNES as a kid, I still wanted a Sega Genesis, but most of my friends and family had one, so I didn't really want one anymore. As for classic Sonic being better than the newer ones, that is very debatable. Sonic Colors was damn good, better than the first imo, and the only absolutely terrible 3d Sonic title is Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Generations is also friggin' awesome.

Icarus, I find it difficult to stand next to you and your view of classic games, I understand your passionate about your hobby, but your only hurting yourself. New games really aren't all that bad, and the creative geniuses that made our beloved games of yesteryear are making cheap ios and android games that are in most cases, more primitive than many of the NES and SNES games we all know and love. Besides, nobody is gonna just stop buying video games now, their too good.

Nem
07-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I really dont think 3D Sonic games are all bad. I think Sonic adventure 2 got 3D sonic right, but SEGA went under after that and with Yuji Naka gone all we got were weird spin-off's. I liked Sonic Heroes but i would've liked it more without the team gameplay.

The new Sonic's after unleashed though, i dont like, or in the case of generations i half like it. You lost control of Sonic, the camera got worse, its an absolute mess. Generations got the classic Sonic levels well done, but the 3D sonic ones were still a pain in the ass.

I hope that SEGA goes back to Sonic Adventure 2 level of control and tight camera. That game is fun to play. Aside from that just go 2D.

KingSlayer
07-26-2012, 11:22 PM
All good posts...Great responses

eastx
07-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Durango development kit photos!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/29/xbox-720-development-kit-photos-surface

Currently it has at least 8 GIGs of RAM, though some other sources have put it at 12 GIGs. Can you imagine the staying power the console would have with 12 GIGs of RAM? Hell, computers don't even need that much to run well yet. But even just 8 GIGs would be really nice.

calintz
07-30-2012, 12:44 AM
don't dev kits get outfitted with more ram?

Joe Redifer
07-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Awesome! Now that's something to start getting excited about. If dev kits are going out, then this thing is probably due out Christmas 2013 at the latest, maybe even summer 2013.

Reality
07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
don't dev kits get outfitted with more ram?

In most cases yes.

Northeastmonk
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
What's weird is how long they are going to wait to vanquish the 360 line. I mean, couldn't next gen games be released on both consoles?

I just fear the cost of games.

Awesome! Now that's something to start getting excited about. If dev kits are going out, then this thing is probably due out Christmas 2013 at the latest, maybe even summer 2013.

Could you really be that excited when owning a 360 now is costing you about as much with games. I mean, the only thing increasing is the cash value of the console.

I just hope this next gen goes by fast so we as the consumer can see what we're up against for the next 10 years. If that's still their (developers) goal. Sounds like all I need to do is upgrade my PC in a year two if I decide to wait 6 or so months for a new console.

eastx
10-15-2012, 01:55 AM
The OS factor and the rise of transmedia gaming (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-the-os-factor) - basically an article about how much RAM the Durango is expected to have dedicated to its OS and what applications could make use of it.

Joe Redifer
10-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Hell, I wonder why a console OS would even need 1GB of RAM. What does it need to do? Keep track of online players, trophies and useless nonsense like that? I don't want my console OS doing too much, wasting CPU time. I don't need my console OS telling everyone exactly what I am doing on my console or getting ads served to me while I play games. Somebody please enlighten me because I can't understand why a console OS would need so much memory when it could instead go to actual games unless the console OS itself is a bloated mess.

spider-prime
10-15-2012, 06:26 AM
no kidding, I miss the days when we just popped in the game and that was it. Look at Nintendo, they want us to see tons of "ads" for games before going into the main menu!

Northeastmonk
10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Developers seem to use all kinds of new tech. I guess they have to give them credit when building a million dollar title.

I hope they can make a dashboard that doesn't scream "Give us your money now!" or "The stuff you just bought is old, here is what you need now".

I still remember how the old dashboard looked.
http://i.t.com.com/i/lumiere/2006/05/31/xbox360_dashboard-320-0-19124-20060531_123104-320x240.jpg
I'm still wondering if we'll see a $60 game next to a $70 next gen title. I hate those price ranges.

Joe Redifer
10-15-2012, 06:16 PM
That dash was the "simplest" that the XBox360 has ever had and I thought it was a bit overboard at the time. I don't even know what the hell they have going on now as I immediately hit the green ring of death button on the controller and get a Mini-Blades and just use that instead of that other nonsense which is 100% useless.

Kiuju2k
10-17-2012, 12:30 AM
cool news! Thanks east

Nem
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
no kidding, I miss the days when we just popped in the game and that was it. Look at Nintendo, they want us to see tons of "ads" for games before going into the main menu!

Where did you see that?

Icarus4578
10-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Ditto. I don't mean to doubt you, spider, but I've never seen that.