PDA

View Full Version : FFXI: The Launch and the Outcome?

Overlord
05-18-2002, 05:25 AM
This thread is to basically talk about the stuff thats happening with FFXI right now. It came out Japan, with not so great results. Heres some the info that I've gathered about the games current status:

Square issues notice about FFXI/PlayOnline service failures
Gameforms:
Since yesterday's Japanese release of Final Fantasy XI, Gameforms has received reports of serious system problems with registration and server availability for the game. After several consecutive hours of server downtime, Square posted an explanatory notice (along with an introductory video) for confused users.

Thanks to Andrew Church for providing us with this translation of the notice:

2002/5/17 15:15 -- PlayOnline: About the recent problems with connecting to and using PlayOnline

Although over 24 hours have passed since PlayOnline and FFXI service commenced at noon on May 16, the PlayOnline service is still experiencing problems which hinder use of the service. Following is a report of the current status of the service and plans for recovery.

* Causes

1. Delays in authorization processing
2. Failure of a backbone connection device for the server network

We have determined that the above two causes are primarily responsible for the troubles which are currently occurring.

* Recovery plans

While we have diverted all resources into solving these problems, it is unfortunately impossible to completely resolve them today. As a result, after consideration of what further actions to take, we have decided to temporarily suspend PlayOnline service, and set tomorrow (May 18) at 9:00am as our goal for completing resolution of the problems and resuming service.

We recognize that this action betrays the hopes of Final Fantasy players who have waited patiently for the release of Final Fantasy XI, and it was an extremely difficult decision for us as well, but we have made this decision in order to resolve these problems as quickly as possible.

We are making modifications to relieve the delays in authorization, but we expect a large number of concentrated accesses when the service is restarted, which may result in timeouts or other temporary difficulties. We ask that if you encounter such a problem, please do not continually retry the connection, but log out from PlayOnline and wait 30 minutes or more before reconnecting.

We will continue to post information on this page as soon as any more information is known with regards to trouble resolution or service resumption. We ask for your understanding, and promise to improve our service so that problems such as these do not occur again.

You probably already heard about the server problems with Playonline. And now Square is trying to resolve the problem. FFXI did sell out on opening day, but threre were only about 200,000 units distributed.

So what will happen? Is FFXI on a path towards failure? Or will Square be able to fix the Server problems in time?

Your Thoughts?

ATMA
05-18-2002, 09:13 AM
I think it's to early ,There's not enough modems for people to go online .,and the thingy about everybody tried to locked on at the same time
i hope they can fix that so it can support more users !! And even though they said in the Jappa land they were not so hyped about FFXI online
still they reported several store had the good old fashion loooooong lines of people that wanted to buy FFXI online !!So i think it will do great in time ..they just have to fix a few bugs
and sony must provide more modems and i'm sure things will be okay !!!:D
LETS WAIT AND SEE !!!!

Rubeus
05-18-2002, 02:35 PM
PlayOnline supposed to have a capacity of 1 million users, it's just a matter of time for Square to figure out what's wrong.

Besides, Namco and Enix will be using PlayOnline for their online games as well, so it has to work.

Sega had similar problems when they first launch Phantasy Star online in Japan.

Overlord
05-18-2002, 06:10 PM
I also think it's too early to tell. The question right now is, how long will it take Square to fix the problem. They spent a long time beta testing it, so this must have come as a surprise to them. And is there a higher demand for Modems and Harddrives now as FFXI has come out? I'm gussing there is. And there was hype about the game. It was Japans most wanted game, according to MagicBox. Biohazard was #1 on some list though.

...Anyone know what Famitsu gave FFXI? I'm pretty sure they reviewed it.

Rubeus
05-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Final Fantasy XI is not all that hot in the Japanese Most Wanted comparing to the previous FF series, but sales of the game don't always match up with the popularity of the game. Biohazard is a good example.

I heard Sony is planning to release new boardband unit without a hard drive, instead it will include a HDD connector which allows user to purchase their own hard drive elsewhere. If this is real, it would be a great news, I can spare a hard drive from my computer.

Overlord
05-19-2002, 12:48 AM
Sega didn't have many problems with PSO, right? Not as big ones as FFXI anyway. Do you think that Sega was just more prepared than Square was?

...I don't think that FFX:International was all that hyped. But it did better than Biohazard, which was pretty hyped.

Black Ace
05-19-2002, 01:27 AM
Never played an online game in my life. Looking to join in on the fun this fall with Phantasy Star Online for GameCube.

hgblob
05-19-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Overlord
...Anyone know what Famitsu gave FFXI? I'm pretty sure they reviewed it.

They gave it 38/40 (two 10s and two 9s). All four of the reviewers named FFXI as their gaming pick of the week, too.

the|absolute
05-19-2002, 07:03 AM
Famitsu always gives Square games good scores. Only a couple of games had bad scores. I don't think they're being fair with Square's games, so I wouldn't always trust Famitsu's scores.

Rubeus
05-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Square games get good scores because they release good games, that's this simple, don't try to complicate things.

Overlord
05-19-2002, 05:53 PM
hgblob:
They gave it 38/40 (two 10s and two 9s). All four of the reviewers named FFXI as their gaming pick of the week, too.

Thanks for info. But where do you guys get all your information? I know MagicBox puts up numbers sometimes, but it's not that frequent.

...Anyone know what they gave the Bouncer? That might have been a low-rated Square game.

teepo
05-19-2002, 07:15 PM
200,000 people on launch day who live in the same timezone and are in the same country trying to log on in the same day. yeh! something bound to happen. every single one of them were trying to log on right after they bought the game.

Rubeus
05-19-2002, 08:45 PM
200,000 users on one day eh? That's almost the same amount of users on Phantasy Star Online server in Japan altogether, no wonder it runs into problems in the first day. I believe the number of users for PSO is around 260,000 in Japan.

Overlord
05-19-2002, 09:17 PM
Like I said, Sega probably planned it out better. Sega had more than one game that was going online(Sega Sports). Where as Square only has plan for one game right now. How many people did they have for beta testing? I don't remember hearing any problems from the testers. Maybe this is the one only problem they have right now.

soulja
05-20-2002, 03:21 AM
yeah, Sega's online DC games worked because they didn't have any MMORPG where they can overload a system with 5000 users.

This is the first massive multiplayer console game, so it was bound to have bugs.

It just better work when they release it here in the west.

ATMA
05-20-2002, 08:42 AM
Have a little faith !!
I'm sure by the time it gets out on the NTSC/US
it will be okay ..and i agree with that 200.000 users in the same time zone and trying to log on on the same time ..theory !!It's simply logical that something must go wrong and seeing that this is Square first try ...WE that always supported Squaresoft knows that things will be okay !!(well i do anyways) !!!

About Famitsu giving Square only good ratings ..
that's crap ...Square gets good rating because most of the games they publish ARE good !! and to proof it ,most of the times the games are million sellers inside the jappa land and outside that's a proof you can't deny !!..simply put it Square is one of the best and will never be forgotten no matter what !!! ..
-SADATAAAAAY-:D

hgblob
05-20-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Overlord

Thanks for info. But where do you guys get all your information? I know MagicBox puts up numbers sometimes, but it's not that frequent.

I got the translated review here:
http://xengamers.com/sections/news/7351/

Syn
05-20-2002, 04:51 PM
i still thinks to too early to even judge how it will be....its only been 2 days!! theres bound to be a little hold ups now and then so just wait 3 months or so to consider the fact if FFXI will be good or not....

Seska
05-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ATMA
About Famitsu giving Square only good ratings ..
that's crap ...Square gets good rating because most of the games they publish ARE good !!

Yep, a lot of square games ARE good, but not all of them are.

I for one shall not forget The Bouncer and Type-S! Pathetic.

Still, I think Famitsu tends to over-rate Square games, so I generally take their reviews witha pinch of salt.

Yai
05-21-2002, 07:50 AM
It seems every major online game including FPSs experience opening day "antics"(can't think of a better term for it ^^;;). Its really not a sign of anything to come. I'd be suspicious, if not impressed, if they didn't have any problem. Besides its how they react to these problems that I really want to see!

ATMA
05-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Well i know that Bouncer and type s was bad and i'm sure Famitsu didn't gave them a high score
But most of square games are good .and are million sellers and most of Famitsu score doesn't affect sales outside jappa i mean in Europe ..people doesn't care what Famitsu says if they want to buy it they will buy it wheter it stinks or not !!
I don't follow scores either i use it as an additional but when it comes down to it ..I'll decide if i'll buy it or not ,not them !!
Maybe Famitsu over-score them cause i'm also wondering how can they rate an RPG (a game with over 45 hours of gameplay)SO i wonder how can they rate by playing it for a few hours or days ??.
but maybe they get the game like a month before it comes out and play it through ..i'm not sure !!But i think you can't rate or judge a game if you haven't play it through !!!

Investor27
05-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by hgblob

This is sooooooooooo untrue! Besides, the average Japanese gamer is very savy when it comes to buying games at this uneconomical time. And if 2-4 million of them keep buying the Final Fantasy games, while all other games barely scraped the 100,000 mark--except for about 2-5 games that brace the million mark, those 4 Famitsu judges can't be that far off on their reviews now, can they?

Overlord
05-30-2002, 07:55 PM
From the news ATMA gave me, FFXI is doing pretty good. A lot of people are still around the stores, playing the demos and stuff. Not sure if the server problems are fixed yet though.

Zwerchfell
05-31-2002, 02:14 AM
I think the biggest problem is that the people have to buy an expensive Hard Drive and a Modem. Otherwise it would be an bigger success.

typexig
05-31-2002, 03:44 AM
im pretty sure,that square will fix this problem thinggy.. im pretty sure that before this game hits the US, all problem will be solve.. i know square can do it.. i have faith in them...=)..as for the Bouncer..iono bout you guys, but i had fun with the game, i kinda like it.. i know its not the best, and it sucks to many people, but i kinda like it, IMO..hehe..as for TypeS, never played it. but i think ama like anyways..hehe, i like all the racing game..even the sorry ones..hehe..=)

-Xig-

Rubeus
05-31-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Zwerchfell
I think the biggest problem is that the people have to buy an expensive Hard Drive and a Modem. Otherwise it would be an bigger success.

You don't just buy the HDD for ONE game! The HDD will be used for all the future PS2 online games, just that Final Fantasy XI happens to be the first game to require the HDD.

Jagt_Mirage
05-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Yeah we all heard the problem Playonline had when it first opened. But its now May 31st.. 2 weeks after the fact, I'd be very curious to know how things are going over there NOW with FFXI.. anyone have any insider info?

ATMA
05-31-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Zwerchfell

Sorry there buddy that's not a good reason!!
Acording to my sources in JAPAN you can rent it!They were experimenting with the rent a HDD!And it was a succes,So now they rent them in the japa land so,Don't worry about expensive HDD,cause that's not the reason!!And even with the limit
HD and the problems some games store doesn't have FFXI on the shelves anymore!They are gone sold to the "hungry" gamers! :D

Seska
06-02-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by typexig
as for TypeS, never played it. but i think ama like anyways..hehe, i like all the racing game..even the sorry ones..hehe..=)

-Xig-

Goodness.

You gifted, blessed thing you. Untainted soul, you who do not know the TRUE pain of Type S. I envy you.

Ohyes.

I do.

I used to think the same. With graphics that nice, even if the control is a LITTLE screwy it can't be that bad can it?

But it was worse. OHsomuchworse.

Stay away from the bad, bad game.

Alucard
06-03-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry. Even the graphics for Type S suck. My eyes started twitching 20seconds into watching it.

I also find it amusing...that alot of people who would scoff at PC's online games such as Everquest and Anarchy Online <too many to name>, would suddenly be extremely interested in an online game for a console that just happens to be the FF series. Double standards I say.

Besides, if the game system turns out to be very cool, and so far it does, I plan to play it on the PC. I'll dont need to change my console into a PC with a hard drive.

Pikachu
06-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Seska

Goodness.

You gifted, blessed thing you. Untainted soul, you who do not know the TRUE pain of Type S. I envy you.

Ohyes.

I do.

I used to think the same. With graphics that nice, even if the control is a LITTLE screwy it can't be that bad can it?

But it was worse. OHsomuchworse.

Stay away from the bad, bad game.

Technically Driving Emotion Type-S is not a SQUARE game, it is produced by a small company called ESCAPE in Japan, and published by Square.

Overlord
06-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Allrpg.com:
Square Ltd. announced yesterday that they will be resuming the shipments of copies of Final Fantasy XI this week in limited quantities. Shipments and sales were halted when stores completely sold out of PS2 broadband adapters, the peripheral that is, obviously, necessary for playing the game online. Square also added that shipments of the game will halt again if the adaptors become unavailable once again.
Square's PlayOnline server currently hosts 50,000 Final Fantasy XI subscribers in Japan, and Square anticipates a total of 300,000 by the end of 2002. Square's PlayOnline server problems have mounted 80-100 million yen in looses ($600,000 to $800,000 US). The Dengeki sales charts indicate that Final Fantasy XI has sold a total of 89,688 copies as of June 7, so this shortage of adaptors just adds to the list of problems Square has been having since release day.

Let's just pray the same problem doesn't occur when Final Fantasy XI is released on North American soil, since the last thing Square needs is more setbacks like these.

Yout Thoughts?

Rubeus
06-11-2002, 11:52 AM
It seems to me Sony is the one to blame?! Why can't they increase the production of the PS2BB units since it is a critical component of the broadband network -- if Sony really wants it to go mainstream.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, did you hear that some of the disc won't even load in some PS2s? Sony nor Square know what the problem could be.

What about Square's PlayOnline network having to be shut down this weekend (Dunno if they're up now)

So it looks like the shortages are Sony's fault, yes.
But Square isn't witout blame either.

Eh. It's still too early to tell, but we can summarize that this wasn't a very well planned out launch.

Overlord
06-28-2002, 05:34 AM
Allrpg:
Square responds to decreasing the maximum level to 50 as a way of eliminating the problem of enormous level gaps between old subscribers and new subscribers to Final Fantasy XI. The company divulges that some of the beta testers already have characters over level 100, which allows the players to throw away their dependency on other gamers and resulting in ruining the game?s main aspect of working together in groups. Therefore, the cap on the levels will serve as a tool for maintaining group activities as the main feature of the game, instead of an individual experience.

For those readers who missed the report about the level limitation in Final Fantasy XI, here?s a recap of the story:

Recently reported by RPGFan.com, players of Square?s MMORPG, Final Fantasy XI, has decreased the title?s maximum level of 99 to only 50. The change will take place as of June 24th.

Gamers will notice their experience points to cease increasing before their characters reach the needed amount for level 51.

No further details were given as to how this will affect the players? chances of completing difficult levels or battles with strong enemies.

Your Thoughts?

Lynx
06-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Maybe they could make an area for people with more experience in the game to go. Then, in that area they could go over 50, but when they come back the regualr world, they'd just be 50 again. That way, in the new place, there would be more to do, and they could make it harder since it's for people with the high level, so even though they have a level 50 character, they'd need a group to survive there. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Kid0_oIcarus
06-28-2002, 10:01 AM
It's an idea, but one that would get annoying , I would think.

"See, maw! I'm really lvl 78.. but when I walk here- poof lvl 50!!"

What about equipment (dunno if there is any or not) that has certain requirements? What happens when you can't wear it at lvl 50 because your selected class doesn't have enough strength at lvl 50, but they do at lvl 60?

What happens then??

Anyway, how's the game doing now? Sales back up? What do the gamers think of this?

hootie17
06-28-2002, 04:47 PM
well...
as the poll states it is to early to tell, but i personally think this game will do better in japan, only because i think they are more willing to spend that kind of money for equipment, that so-far only supports one game, plus that game takes up the majority of the hard-drive, or so i have heard.
Once it comes to america, we are really going to see what kind of game this will become.
On the other hand PLEASE SQUARE!, MAKE FFXII OFFLINE FOR US POOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANNA PAY!

Overlord
06-28-2002, 07:05 PM
They already announced that FFXII will be offline.

Overlord
06-28-2002, 10:56 PM
Allrpg.com:
Being a month after the release of Final Fantasy X on May 29th in PAL territories, an announcement from Sony Computer Entertainment Germany reveals that FFX sales have reached over one million copies in Europe.

More Final Fantasy news following the growing success of FFX is a statement from Koichi Ise, a member of Square's Network Engineering Department, divulges that Final Fantasy XI now has over 90,000 registered users, with a record of 55,000 users on the servers at one time.

Though the FFXI?s launch met difficulties, the glaring problems have been resolved; as Square strives on to reach its goals of 250,000 registered users worldwide.

Your Thoughts?

ATMA
06-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Lets hope that everything will go smooth now, and that square can reach what they were trying to reach with FFXI!!! And lets also hope that these problems doesn't happen when the U.S version comes out !!!

Penance
08-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Too early too tell. A lot of the problems are already getting fixed. And they can always add new stuff with the help of the HardDrive. It can have a great future. Lets just hope Square can pull it of.

ATMA's right, lets just hope for the best right now, lets see if it's smooth sailing from here.

chachiangel
08-25-2002, 11:37 AM
from all the info i've read it sounds like square has got it all put together now. they're doing regular patches and so far there have only been minor instances of cheating. i think by the time ffxi comes out in north america, square will have a pretty good idea what to expect. i'm just hoping with the monthly fee, only people who want to play, will play, and people who want to hassle other players will go play some other free game.

i think the only thing that could wreck this game are sony(for hdd reasons) and rude players(but since there's no pvp/pking, ahouldn't be a problem.)

THX 1138
08-26-2002, 05:57 PM
I don't think FFXI will be coming to North America. Not for a long time, anyway, if at all.

Overlord
08-26-2002, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Square themselves said that FFXI will make it statewide, and it officially announced. It's going to make it here before April 2003, and there are rumors that it will make it around Christmas this year.

...But the rumor about the HD's does make this a little hard to believe. But it was announced...

Pause
08-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Anyone who has played EverQuest or Dark Age of Camelot can tell you, the problems Square is having are perfectly normal. They just haven't ever been an issue for a console game because there has never been an mmorpg for a console before. I'm willing to bet that the game sells well here in the states & that Square has it's stuff together a bit better. I'm a HUGE FF fan, and an EverQuest player. I'm really looking forward to this game, and I also know that there are some MAJOR issues that come with an online RPG that you just can't begin to deal with until you have a large server load. Don't stress out yet, this IS Square.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Yeah, obviously hese problems are nothing new to PC gamers... but remember.. this all was supposed to be a smooth console ride.

I just want to be there when something goees wrong with the Xbox Live service.

Penance
08-27-2002, 10:40 PM
I just want to be there when something goees wrong with the Xbox Live service.

How ambitious.

Necro ??
08-28-2002, 12:33 AM
Agreed. Everyone praises x-box live but it seems to me one server crash or attack of a virus and the whole system will be down.

To comment about the topic.I was reading a preview for FF11 in PSM.They said it cost them $250 just to set up and start playing FF11.Granted i bet they already had a japanese ps2. but theres that $20 import fee(lest thats what it normal came out for me ordering from american import stores) you have to add in the game,keyboard and HD,Plus the online playing fee. so hopefuly it'll cost less over here or Square could make a bundle pack(HD,game and keyboard) for like $150

Personaly i want this but i'd like the cost to be a bit lower.I cant hold on to money for long(reasons why I havent gotten a x-box or gba yet)I dont think i could save up $250 long nuff. :p

chachiangel
08-28-2002, 11:15 AM
this is the estimated cost for the american release of ffxi-

ps2-$200(you probably already have this.)
network adapter-$40
hdd-$80(not official, but likely.)
ffxi-$50
playonline account-$10/month
your own isp-(you are on the internet right now so you probably already have this too.)

so to start playing this game you will probably need around $180 on the release date. i would recommend buying the network adapter now and get the others as the come out. although the hdd & the game will probably come out within a week of each other. start saving, because you only have until february(maybe november, but probably not.)

Kid0_oIcarus
08-28-2002, 01:48 PM
I know most of that are one time costs, but does anyone else think that is an ridiculous amount of money spent to go online!?!

Wtf- it's not like it's my PC.. I use it for other things rather than just for playing games (granted games prolly = majority)... but still...

This is a console dagnabitt!! It should be cheaper!! Aiieeeee!!

Don't even get me started on the high ($50!!!) price of games now..

chachiangel
08-28-2002, 02:27 PM
i think the price of the hdd is kinda low. but i'm fairly sure this is the future of gaming so you better hop on board. also there will be browsers available for the ps2 so you can surf the web while your not playing or go look for tips and codes online. and with the hdd, you'll be able to download music, movies, & new games.

ps- i'm watching the ffxi livecam right now. not much happening, but a bunch of people are running around and casting protect on people.:D and there's a little taru-taru with some sort of football helmet on.:haha:

Necro ??
08-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Don't even get me started on the high ($50!!!) price of games now..

You can thank people who think mod-chips are great.Its rather funny,People who rip off the company whine how prices to high.When they are the cause of the prices.

FF11 livecam? can i have the address for that? this should be interesting. :D

Penance
08-28-2002, 11:52 PM
You think $50 is too high? What about the SNES days, and earlier? When games were up to $70. And I think there was a game on the Genesis that was $100, by itself.

I'll see if I can find the link to the live cam. Make sure you have the latest codecs for WMP.

chachiangel
08-29-2002, 11:01 AM
here's the link-

http://stream.pol.com/cgi-bin/navi-cgi?ff11/+ff11.asx

the person it follows usually isn't doing anything but you can see other players running around prepping for a battle. pretty interesting.

i would have to agree that games aren't too expensive right now. nes games were $40, and alot of brand new ps2 games are $40 right now. most are fifty, but thats only a $10 increase in 15+ years.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-29-2002, 12:05 PM
$10 per game IS a difference when consider you're spending the price of what would've been an additional game when you buy 4 games...

Necro ??
08-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Maybe square of america should pull a sega and charge $30 for 3 months,or set up basic package plans. This way you wont have to worry about paying the bill every month.

Rubeus
08-29-2002, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind that the investment you put into the network adapter and HDD are not just for one single game, it will work all the other games.

It's funny to see people keep saying they have to pay this much to play FFXI, but that's for sure not the only online game they are going to play and buy for the lifetime of PS2.

Necro ??
08-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Yes im buying Frequency and Socom today. My modem has been busy. :D

the HDD will have alot of usage im not getting it for the FF11 factor.Plus i didnt get the NA just for FF11 eather. im not THAT lyoal to square.

chachiangel
08-30-2002, 12:20 PM
i will pay $10 a game for the quality of the games that are coming out now. i think compared to say super mario bros 3 when it came out, super mario sunshine is worth at least $10 more based soley on playtime. i could beat sm3 in just a few hours, i am fairly sure sms will take me at least a few days. i would be mad if games were $50 and still looked like the nes games graphic wise.

i'm getting my network adapter in the mail today. i'm getting it mainly for ffxi, but i am still going to play other online games until it comes out. i also put in an application to beta test everquest, so hopefully i'll get to try that out.

Necro ??
08-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Where do you sign up for that?

chachiangel
08-30-2002, 04:59 PM
here's the link-

http://everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com/beta/

i applied for the second phase. and you have to be at least 18.

Overlord
09-29-2002, 12:59 AM
GameForms:
Dell to bundle Final Fantasy XI with certain new computers

? Square rounds up another PC partnership.

News | Thursday, September 26, 2002 | Nayan Ramachandran [Staff Writer]

After last week's news of a deal between Square and nVidia to promote Final Fantasy XI PC, Square has signed another sponsorship deal with Dell.

The computer giant announced plans to bundle the PC version of Final Fantasy XI with its Dimension 8200 PCs, along with using Final Fantasy in other promotions for the new 8200 line of computers.

-Source. (http://www.gameforms.com/news/?498)