PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft Breaks Call of Duty’s Grip Atop Xbox Live’s Chart

Drunken Savior
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Minecraft Breaks Call of Duty’s Grip Atop Xbox Live’s Chart

BY OWEN GOOD
MAY 27, 2012 3:00 PM

In news certain to delight indie games fans, Minecraft has done something that has not been seen in a long time—knock a Call of Duty game out of the top two on the Xbox 360's most-played list.

To put this in perspective, the only thing that knocked Call of Duty: Black Ops out of the No. 1 spot from its release in 2010 was the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in 2011. And those two have run No. 2 and No. 1, respectively, ever since. Until Minecraft elbowed Black Ops out of the way last week.

The figures are according to Major Nelson's regular listing of the top Xbox Live activity. It counts numbers of unique users, worldwide, that are playing the game while connected to Xbox Live—so it's not just multiplayer figures (although one can assume that's the bulk of Call of Duty's total here.)

The last time I could find something other than the two most recent releases of Call of Duty holding the top two was in 2010, after the release of Halo: Reach (Halo 3 was a steady No. 2 before that, to Modern Warfare 2). Whatever the case, the idea that Minecraft—a downloadable title, no less—did that to a position that has been dominated by a retail big-budget first-person shooter since forever, is rather damned remarkable.

And, oh yeah, the 360 version was the most purchased Arcade title—by a mile, one expects.

I still haven't played Minecraft. I should though. Too busy with Day Z at the moment.

Kiuju2k
05-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Carry on.

eastx
05-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I fully expected Alucard to have some goofy insulting joke about this topic. He must be asleep!

I'm glad to see a downloadable title doing so well. Microsoft actually put a lot of energy into promoting it, which seems to have paid off in a big way. Hopefully the new XBLA customers start picking up other quality downloadable titles as well.

As for the game, I really like it. Super good way to relax with friends and zone out, then come back later and be creative. Wish I had more time to play it.

Kiuju2k
05-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Be careful east game is simple, but time just kind of goes by, you can be doing something and just talking with your buddies, then BAM it's 12am

KingOfSentinels
05-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Shows digital distribution can be widely adopted for good games. :)

Minecraft is fun but I hate that there's no ending. Sort of is but it's boring and lackluster and I only did it just so I could say I did it. Once everything's built, that's that done and I haven't really touched it much now.

Alucard
05-28-2012, 04:43 AM
While its awesome that its doing well on the console, its stupid to actually be buying the console version when the pc version needs zero power to run it and also has 8726487263427536536526824692345927582756912 user created mods, which is what makes half the game so great. I dont see the logic to it. Then again some people prefer skyrim on the xbox. Thats just classic.

calintz
05-28-2012, 06:20 AM
some people don't own a pc

Alucard
05-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Some people are lazy whores.

Pikachief
06-01-2012, 03:46 AM
Friend and his girlfriend were over, she doesn't play games at all and kept telling us that minecraft looked really stupid. We had her try it, just said we were gonna all build a house together and make our own rooms and do simple fun stuff!

4 hours later she and my cousin are fighting monsters in their now large home while my friend and I are sailing off in our little boats to find a huge dungeon that we spent an hour in until they had to leave.

My friend and his girlfriend were then hooked and now I expect at least him to buy the game :) It's really fun with friends and really addicting :P