PDA

View Full Version : Is Gears of War 3 the bomb diggity?

justin_credible
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't have a 360 but I was considering getting one just to play Gears of War 3. A local pawn shop has a 360 for $70 and a local craigslist guy has GOW3 for $20. Is it worth $90 to play Gears of War 3? I can't think of any other 360 exclusives I would want, I already have a PS3. If nothing else I could probably just buy the two play through Gears then sell the 360 and Gears together for equal to or more than I paid.

In b4 Halo.

Drunken Savior
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
If you honestly can't think of any other 360 games you'd want, then yes, buying a console for one game is kind of ludicrous at this point.

Unless you can afford a $90 lark, that is.

calintz
01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
no, it is not

mind you, i liked the first and second and played their campaigns multiple times, plus dabbled in the online multiplayer
with GoW3, i shelved it after the campaign was done...

justin_credible
01-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah I know, but, considering I could easily get my money back, and maybe even make a profit by playing it then selling them on craigslist, I may still do it.

How long is the campaign?

justin_credible
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I got the money I got $1,000 but I just couldn't make myself do it. There are a few other games I'd want like Dead or Alive 4 and Dead Rising 1, but not enough to buy the console.

Alucard
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
You're basically trying to give yourself an excuse to buy it. My advice though would be.......use that money to upgrade your pc! YEAH!

spider-prime
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
I got the money I got $1,000 but I just couldn't make myself do it. There are a few other games I'd want like Dead or Alive 4 and Dead Rising 1, but not enough to buy the console.

dead or alive I agree with, but Dead Rising is over rated after I played it, I just don't get why it's popular other than ZOMBIESSSSSSSSS!

Other than a few games like the rest of Gears of War and Halo games, you can get most of the good 360 games on your PC. I bought GoW1 on the PC and wasn't impressed by it, kind of boring.

justin_credible
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83ghz
Memory Ram: 2.00 GB

LOL, that's my laptop. That should put an end to any "buy it on PC" suggestions. (and no I'm not pumping a bunch of money into upgrading it)

I really enjoyed playing through Dead Rising. But technically I can get it on Wii (even though it's shitty) and DOA 5 is coming to PS3.

360 0wned, not buying it.

It's funny cause originally I had a 360 before PS3 came out and I didn't see the need to buy a PS3. Then Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, God of War III etc... and I had to buy it. I had to sell all my consoles and games a few years ago and when I was able to start buying again PS3 was the easy decision over 360 at that time for me, can't even justify a 360 purchase now.

FWIW I found an original Xbox on craigslist recently for $25 that had all the GTA's, Burnout 3 (my favorite racing game ever) Mortal Kombat Deception, Star Wars Battlefront II and abunch of other crappy games. I wanted the GTA trilogy mainly and Burnout 3. I turned around and sold the crappy games to a local game store for $20 and Battlefront II for $30 on Ebay lol. Getting free stuff is cool, making a profit off something is even better.

Northeastmonk
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM

LOL, that's my laptop. That should put an end to any "buy it on PC" suggestions. (and no I'm not pumping a bunch of money into upgrading it)

I really enjoyed playing through Dead Rising. But technically I can get it on Wii (even though it's shitty) and DOA 5 is coming to PS3.

360 0wned, not buying it.

It's funny cause originally I had a 360 before PS3 came out and I didn't see the need to buy a PS3. Then Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, God of War III etc... and I had to buy it. I had to sell all my consoles and games a few years ago and when I was able to start buying again PS3 was the easy decision over 360 at that time for me, can't even justify a 360 purchase now.

FWIW I found an original Xbox on craigslist recently for $25 that had all the GTA's, Burnout 3 (my favorite racing game ever) Mortal Kombat Deception, Star Wars Battlefront II and abunch of other crappy games. I wanted the GTA trilogy mainly and Burnout 3. I turned around and sold the crappy games to a local game store for $20 and Battlefront II for $30 on Ebay lol. Getting free stuff is cool, making a profit off something is even better.

I dont know, you probably made the best choice for you. Gears is really for those who liked GOW or who want to see how the story ends. I am the same way with my PS3, I got a new 360 for Halo Reach cause I thought it was going to be the last and GOW3. Ninja Gaiden was a title I had for xbox multiple times, I couldn't consider it a great Xbox collection unless I knew it was in there.

spider-prime
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I love my PS3, it's my most played console almost ever! Next to SNES and NES. Mostly cause when you're a kid, you have lots of free time. DAMN YOU WORK! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUU!

justin_credible
02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I dont know, you probably made the best choice for you. Gears is really for those who liked GOW or who want to see how the story ends. I am the same way with my PS3, I got a new 360 for Halo Reach cause I thought it was going to be the last and GOW3. Ninja Gaiden was a title I had for xbox multiple times, I couldn't consider it a great Xbox collection unless I knew it was in there.

I like Gears but it's not close to my favorite game or nothin'. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (and 3 when it comes out in March) can all be gotten on the PS3. (and I got 'em, cept not 3 yet, duh.)

Alucard
02-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Use that $1000 you mentioned and get yourself a super pc!

justin_credible
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111 111111111111111111111111

spider-prime
02-01-2012, 02:02 AM
buy a ipad! All the 99 cent clone games you can ever want!

Alucard
02-01-2012, 05:06 AM
True that!

eastx
02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
I absolutely love Gears of War 3. I don't think the PS3 or PC lovers above would be good judges of the game's quality (though their advice is reasonable), but IMO it's a very special game. So much stuff to do, including a lengthy single player/co-op campaign, and loads of multiplayer modes which have a ton of variety. I would also recommend getting Gears 1 & 2 (can be found pretty cheap) and running through their campaigns first if you want the story to have the full impact.

calintz
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
i absolutely loved 1&2 but iunno... 3 just didn't do it for me and it just sits there

i have no idea why really, as it is the better game, but maybe it's just more of the same?

Alucard
02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Yeah I'm not the one to ask about that actual game. I cant find the series enjoyable. Too clunky for my tastes.

KingOfSentinels
02-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Gears of War 3 was one of the few games I could survive playing to the end using a controller. Was pretty good.

i have no idea why really, as it is the better game, but maybe it's just more of the same?

Yeah I think you're right. Cliffyb complained about the scores being worse than Gears 2 because he knew it was better than Gears 2. :P

bujeezus
02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
If you honestly can't think of any other 360 games you'd want, then yes, buying a console for one game is kind of ludicrous at this point.

Unless you can afford a $90 lark, that is.

i'm buying a ps3 just to play Ni No Kuni!

Icarus4578
02-01-2012, 11:09 AM
That game certainly has nice art direction. Not surprising considering who produced it.

GoW3 was a good romp. Nothing too extraordinary gameplay-wise but it had a nice flow to it and the boss fights were cool.

justin_credible
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I absolutely love Gears of War 3. I don't think the PS3 or PC lovers above would be good judges of the game's quality (though their advice is reasonable), but IMO it's a very special game. So much stuff to do, including a lengthy single player/co-op campaign, and loads of multiplayer modes which have a ton of variety. I would also recommend getting Gears 1 & 2 (can be found pretty cheap) and running through their campaigns first if you want the story to have the full impact.

Yeah I've already played through 1 and 2, just not 3.

BlindMaphisto
02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I would but I love Gears to death and I think 3 is the best by far. Most refined multiplayer, best campaign, coolest extras like Horde mode and Beast mode. I freaking love beast mode.

Sinful Sam
02-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I liked the campain more in Gears 2. It was ok in 3. I didn't find it very challenging and didn't have as much fun. I didn't play the multiplayer much so I can say anything about that.