PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have to be connected to Xbox Live to play my downloaded games?

Joe Redifer
01-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Seriously. If I'm not connected, I can only play the "Trial" versions. It's stupid. It's immoral. PSN does not do this. I guess I now know not to buy ANYTHING from Xbox Live ever again as doing so would just be idiotic. Then they have that Xbox Point thing discussed in another thread. God damn it, Xbox Live, why do you have to suck so much? Stop sucking! There is no reason for this ass-hatery.

eastx
01-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Instead of complaining, why not look for solutions? Just transfer the content licenses (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content), redownload the content, and be done with it.

Joe Redifer
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Why would I have to redownload it if it is already on my hard drive? That's pretty dumb and it makes the customer jump through a whole bunch of unnecessary hoops. I transferred the data with MS's proprietary HD transfer cable and it erased my old HD in the process. Why did it not transfer content licenses? How do they even expect people to know that they need to do this shit? I know you're a hardcore MS-thumper, eastx, but that is a really shitty way of doing things. I'm sure you see no issue or room for improvement, though.

Icarus4578
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
They don't expect regular users to know. That way, people will need to repurchase the games if something happens to their HD and they make twice as much money. Look at how many hurdles they make people jump through that want to discontinue their Xbox Live accounts. You'd think it would be elementary.

Joe Redifer
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Thankfully I'll never have to worry about spending a dime on Xbox Live nor will I buy anything in their wretched store ever again. The way Sony deals with it is much more simple and logical on many different levels (especially the part where you pay the actual price of what you are buying).

Icarus4578
01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, can't argue with that. MS's online service has serious issues. When my brother's X360 went out on him, he lost all of his achievements, the games he purchased, etc. hence why I refused. Instead, I just got a few online games for the Wii which is stored directly in the console. MS should maintain records on all online transactions so that when something happens to X person's console, they always have the back-up record validating their purchase and allowing for a subsequent download in case of a system/HD crash.

Shorty0061
01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
They don't expect regular users to know. That way, people will need to repurchase the games if something happens to their HD and they make twice as much money. Look at how many hurdles they make people jump through that want to discontinue their Xbox Live accounts. You'd think it would be elementary.

What? Have you ever used a 360? As long as you sign in with your account, you can redownload your games, you'll just need to be connected to the net if you've changed 360s or HDDs (that's usually the issue). All you have to do is what eastx said and you can play your xbla games offline.

And discontinuing xblive is like a 2- click process today. Are you stuck in 2007?

Joe Redifer
01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm glad that there is a solution to my issue though I feel MS could be more straightforward about it on the console itself. What's weird is that Sony is the over-paranoid company by not letting me record gameplay video via HDMI, but I can have downloaded games on 5 different consoles at the same time. MS aren't asses with their HDMI but they are with their downloads. Is this what they cal "balance"? Like liberals wanting to abort every baby but never execute any criminal?

Icarus4578
01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
What? Have you ever used a 360? As long as you sign in with your account, you can redownload your games, you'll just need to be connected to the net if you've changed 360s or HDDs (that's usually the issue). All you have to do is what eastx said and you can play your xbla games offline.

And discontinuing xblive is like a 2- click process today. Are you stuck in 2007?

Ok, so today it is simplified. Not long ago, trying to get off Live was a lesson in frustration. As for MS allowing you to re-download games, kudos to them because previously you couldn't simply get your stuff back. Maybe they changed their policies due to widespread user criticism. If you've paid for something, you deserve to own that something.

Shorty0061
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Ok, so today it is simplified. Not long ago, trying to get off Live was a lesson in frustration. As for MS allowing you to re-download games, kudos to them because previously you couldn't simply get your stuff back. Maybe they changed their policies due to widespread user criticism. If you've paid for something, you deserve to own that something.

That's news to me. I've had a 360 since 2006 and I've always been able to redownload purchased items. I don't know what bizarro 360 you've used.

Kiuju2k
01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
That's a good question.

eastx
01-11-2012, 09:42 PM

You couldn't rebuy stuff on your Xbox Live account even if you wanted to. You'd have to create a whole new account, which IMO you'd have to be woefully uninformed and lazy to do.

As for MS allowing you to re-download games, kudos to them because previously you couldn't simply get your stuff back.

No, like Shorty said, this was never true. From day one of the Xbox 360's release, you've always been able to redownload games and DLC an unlimited number of times. It took them a couple of years to create the license transfer process for offline play, though.

Pikachief
01-12-2012, 03:17 AM
I was just wondering about this.

So if I "re-license" my account any game i re-download will be playable offline?

eastx
01-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I was just wondering about this.

So if I "re-license" my account any game i re-download will be playable offline?

Yep, that's the gist of it.

Icarus4578
01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Guess that proves me wrong. I'll have to consult with my brother again just to be sure.

darren
01-12-2012, 08:49 AM
That's news to me. I've had a 360 since 2006 and I've always been able to redownload purchased items. I don't know what bizarro 360 you've used.

Indeed news to me as well .. Ive had three 360s since launch and I have always been able to re download stuff I pad for ...

Alucard
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Are all those 360 games you're playing on pc too?

Pikachief
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Okay thanks! Now I just gotta re-download about 60 arcade games lol

Sinful Sam
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I never had this issue with playing offline games. It's the first time I heard of it.

Joe Redifer
01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
What's interesting is that I just had to go through the motions of redownloading, it didn't actually redownload all of the data since it was already present on the drive. I just selected "redownload" and a few seconds later I would get an achievement that would tell me that the download was complete.

Sinful Sam
01-13-2012, 03:22 AM
So perhaps it just had a trial version and it verifyed the full copy after? I think that's happend to me before.

darren
01-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Are all those 360 games you're playing on pc too?

I'm playing them all on PC. Hence it says pc

Alucard
01-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm playing them all on PC. Hence it says pc

Pretty sure you said you got paid download games for the 360.

eastx
01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
What's interesting is that I just had to go through the motions of redownloading, it didn't actually redownload all of the data since it was already present on the drive. I just selected "redownload" and a few seconds later I would get an achievement that would tell me that the download was complete.

It's just redownloading the licenses. The reason they have those licenses is so that you can't just sign in on 20 consoles and give them all the game by copying or redownloading your game. This way, whatever console currently has the license can play the game(s) offline, and if you're playing at somebody else's house or on a secondary console, you just need to be signed in online. Not the same as Sony's 5 console license or whatever they changed it to, but it also cuts down on people sharing the game with others, which is a genuine problem/thing that happens on PS3.

Einhander
01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
It's not really a problem since Sony enabled it themselves. It's not like people are cheating the system.

eastx
01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
It's not really a problem since Sony enabled it themselves. It's not like people are cheating the system.

It's easily abusable though. Sony never intended for someone to buy a game and let 4 of his or her friends have it. They just considered that you might have multiple consoles in your home or whatever. Most people will use the ability as intended, but not everybody, and it's the developers who lose out when their game is shared with others.

Icarus4578
01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
It's easily abusable though. Sony never intended for someone to buy a game and let 4 of his or her friends have it. They just considered that you might have multiple consoles in your home or whatever. Most people will use the ability as intended, but not everybody, and it's the developers who lose out when their game is shared with others.

If I own X game, be it physical or digital, and let someone play it or borrow it, where's the problem?

Escaflowne2001
01-14-2012, 10:17 AM
They don't have to buy it themselves, therefore that's one less game sale.

Icarus4578
01-14-2012, 11:01 AM
If I borrow a game from my brother, play through it and return it, the company didn't make any money. Does that make me a thief?

Escaflowne2001
01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Don't get me wrong I've got no problem with it. I do it myself I let two other people borrow my games if they want to.

But from the companies point of view every borrowed game is a loss of one possible sale at some point.

Icarus4578
01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Maybe that's why they wanted to profit from every re-sale of their games, much like how the music labels wanted a cut from every used CD. If I rent a game for a nominal fee and return it after completion, the game company is $0 richer but the rental distributor is. Is that also stealing? Now, if I wanted to own a specific game and downloaded w/o paying for it, they'd have a legitimate argument.

Escaflowne2001
01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Rental companies pay a increased amount for each copy they have to cover the rents over the peak sales time of the games.

Also in the UK at least nowadays alot of film companies release a film to buy and your not able to rent it until two/three weeks later. I can see the same happening with games in the near future.

Icarus4578
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Rental companies pay a increased amount for each copy they have to cover the rents over the peak sales time of the games.

I didn't know that until now. Nevertheless, it's ridiculous that they need to do something like this just to satiate corporate greed. Back when we rented/borrowed 8 & 16-bit games, nobody was hurt. Indeed, much software which was otherwise overlooked in the gaming mags got a much-needed second wind.

Also in the UK at least nowadays alot of film companies release a film to buy and your not able to rent it until two/three weeks later. I can see the same happening with games in the near future.

Perhaps. I wouldn't find it surprising in the least. It's all about how far content holders can extend their control beyond the first-sale.

Joe Redifer
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
It's kind of funny because Sega of America actually recommended "swapping games with your friends" back in the Master System days after you were finished with 'em. They printed this in the newsletter they sent out to their customers.

Badrats Studio
01-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Different era, different competition among publishers, and also different economy situation. But it's kinda shocking to know that "customer-friendly" move of Sega of America.

Joe Redifer
01-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Not sure how the different economy would make a difference. Sega was struggling a hell of a lot more back then than Microsoft is now, that's for sure. A lost sale for a Sega Master System game could mean a 10% drop in their entire yearly earnings! (That was sarcasm right there, by the way.)

eastx
01-15-2012, 01:10 AM
If I own X game, be it physical or digital, and let someone play it or borrow it, where's the problem?

That's really a different situation than the PSN gamesharing that I described. And amusingly, it caused the discussion to branch into a whole different area. Oh, Icarus.

When you gameshare on PSN, you're taking one purchase of the game and splitting it among 5 different people. Each person essentially owns the game - they're not borrowing it and they don't have to give it back unless the original purchaser deactivates one of their licenses.

It would be the same situation on Xbox Live if Microsoft didn't require someone playing the game from a different console to be signed in to Xbox Live. Someone could just buy the game and give it to several of their friends to keep, resulting in lost sales.

Icarus4578
01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
That's really a different situation than the PSN gamesharing that I described. And amusingly, it caused the discussion to branch into a whole different area. Oh, Icarus.

Maybe so but it's still related to the topic at hand, i.e. borrowing vs stealing.

It's kind of funny because Sega of America actually recommended "swapping games with your friends" back in the Master System days after you were finished with 'em. They printed this in the newsletter they sent out to their customers.

Awesome. We used to trade games a lot back in the day. I'll never forget when I traded Phantasy Star II for Space Harrier II. *sigh*