PDA

View Full Version : Issues with New 360 dashboard update

Sinful Sam
12-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Looks like it's not just the PS3 having problems with updates...

Update: The Xbox LIVE status page is indicating that all services (except for Epix) have been restored.

The problems continue to plague the rollout of the new Xbox 360 Dashboard. The new update continues to hit Xbox 360s, but we've been receiving reports of various problems from users, ranging from video issues to bricked consoles. One of the most predominant issues is that some Xbox LIVE accounts are not able to connect to the service. As of this writing, my own Xbox 360 is unable to connect to LIVE.

Microsoft's Major Nelson took to his twitter feed, stating that they are "aware of the issue" that gamers are experiencing connecting to LIVE, and is directing them to the Xbox LIVE status page for restoration updates on the service. If you're experiencing issues getting your 360 online, keep an eye on the status page for further updates. However, if you are having any other more serious issues like video problems or a bricked system, let us know in the comments section below.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214150p1.html

There is an update on the top of of the article stating that most of the services have been restored but I am unsure if the problem with the console bricking has been resloved. Also there are a lot of users who can't connect to Live.

calintz
12-07-2011, 08:14 AM
bricking consoles is the new black

THE ICHI
12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Too bad man. Mines working and you can search now.

Alucard
12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Just remember, now when you agree to their new eula or whatever, you agree to not sue them when they screw up. Soon every company will be able to screw us over with no fear of retribution!

Escaflowne2001
12-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Mine and my sisters are working fine. Not sure I like the new design however...

CongoJack
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm in the group that cannot connect to live.

darren
12-07-2011, 06:35 PM
All fine for me

Zack
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
mine doesn't read discs after this update

spider-prime
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
lol PS3 and Xbox are both broken now! ..... well time to go play the wii *dusts it off*

Joe Redifer
12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
There is an update on the top of of the article stating that most of the services have been restored

How about the video issues and bricking consoles. Has that been restored?

Alucard
12-08-2011, 01:52 AM
At least your pc is still working! No forced updates there for us gamers lolololol

Joe Redifer
12-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Bullshit! I have to update my old Doom 2-capable computer if I want to play Skyrim 5.

Kiuju2k
12-08-2011, 04:45 AM
I know man what's up with this bricking shit? When the fuck did this happen?

spider-prime
12-08-2011, 04:48 AM
it's to make people buy new consoles to put up christmas sales!

Sinful Sam
12-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I did the update and I don't think I'm having any issues. My videos seem to be running alright. I sort of like and hate the new interface. Obviously it was made to work with Kinect.

eastx
12-08-2011, 09:53 AM
My brother's having connection issues, but my consoles are all fine. Sucks that stuff like this happens with major updates.

darren
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
i swear to god the games industry has fired all of its quality control people .. i've never let software release that's broken, minor bug yeah sure thats fine broken never .. ..

i even delayed (much to the hate of the mgmt) the release of a multi million $ project i was heading that we found a break everything bug in .. took 6months to fix it properly and go to market after i spotted the issues ..

i'd rather release late and as bug free as possible for the user experience than release borked early and have people moaning about it .. mud sticks

there really is no excuses from anyone other than lazy rushed to market code.

Joe Redifer
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Well said, Darren. This as well as Sony's issue are just ridiculous.

I have not updated yet as I am waiting for them to fix the bricking console issue even though my Xbox 360 is brand new. Are the blades still there if you press the giant XBOX button on the controller? The old interface was just awful with ads spamming me everywhere (and the layout was bunk, too). But at least I still had Blades when I pressed the Xbox button.

Dr. Bombay
12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
All fine for me. It was touch and go for a little while the night before though

BlindMaphisto
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
They have found a nice way to make their ads more prominent. That's the first thing I noticed. I'm still getting used to it so I don't yet have an opinion on the over all design but I will say I am not having any problems with it.

darren
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM

I have not updated yet as I am waiting for them to fix the bricking console issue even though my Xbox 360 is brand new. Are the blades still there if you press the giant XBOX button on the controller? The old interface was just awful with ads spamming me everywhere (and the layout was bunk, too). But at least I still had Blades when I pressed the Xbox button.

what's an even bigger joke is they have ONE fixed spec platform/OS to test against is it really that difficult? i guess it is when you hire idiots.

I hate to think what would happen if they had to test again multi chip sets, multiple linux flavours and multiple windows OS's like i have too . .. and with software like Loadrunner and QualityCentre you can bloody automate 99% of the tests .. They are lucky they don't work for me tbh i'd have fired everyone of them.

fuck wits the lot of them that need a lesson in how to write/debug code and say NO to the mgmt .. No's not hard they just need to grow a set of balls.

Kiuju2k
12-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Well they could get fired.

darren
12-09-2011, 04:20 AM
they should as its not a one off .. its all the bloody time with system updates

Sinful Sam
12-09-2011, 05:59 AM
About the new interface, I would like an option to organize which application I want layed out. For an example this interface has a preset which application to be set on the larger boxes and smaller boxes. I would preffer to have Netflix on the large box then Zune or whatever application is already preset on that area.

Nem
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Honestly i dont know why Microsoft decided to copy the general layout of the PSN. The old system was easy and simple to use. Now its unecessarily more difficult to navigate. If i wanna browse the spotlights/discounts i have to stand there and wait until the one that interests me cycles through instead of just going up to it and selecting it.

everything is also smaller and more difficult to see.
Microsoft is excelling in incompetence these days.

Kiuju2k
12-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Well at what point can you tell mgmt to proverbially fuck off and let me finish my work? I mean do you have to show them what can happen if they roll out the updates early? Don't they do risk assessments for this kind of shit? You are right it is inexcusable and it's annoying this generation of bugs and bullshit. On the plus side 360s new dashboard will now require mandatory kinect support for all apps; which is good for me I never use the thing really.

Havoc2049
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Ya, the Xbox Guide blades are still there. And just like the last several updates that added all the extra bling, you will still end up using the Xbox Guide blades 50% -70% of the time because it is simple, functional, fast and easy to use...lol

Dr. Bombay
12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
The new netflix app is horrible. They seriously need to change it up.

BlindMaphisto
12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I just got done spending about 15 minutes using the new dashboard with Kinect and I can say without a doubt this was built for Kinect. It works really well with it and the voice command options are pretty robust. The bing search crap is actually useful as well. I can say "Xbox, Bing "Game name" and it will show me every entry in the marketplace for that game. I tried it out with Castlevania and it showed me about 30 entries in various sections such as video, arcade and full games. That feature makes it faster to find a specific game or movie on marketplace by far.

I'll probably play with it some more later to see what the limitations are and see if I can break it.

Sinful Sam
12-15-2011, 06:44 AM
There are some new apps to download. The Youtube app isn't too bad. Much better then most youtube tv apps I seen. Netflix stopped working for me. Maybe it was temporary down.

Icarus4578
12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
'Mandatory' Kinect? So what about all of the people who didn't buy into MS's lame gimmick?

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 09:41 AM
'Mandatory' Kinect? So what about all of the people who didn't buy into MS's lame gimmick?

It's not mandatory. Where'd you get that idea?

darren
12-15-2011, 09:43 AM
no idea

Icarus4578
12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
On the plus side 360s new dashboard will now require mandatory kinect support for all apps; which is good for me I never use the thing really.

Right here.

darren
12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
no it doesn't .. i'm using the pad right now

Icarus4578
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
A simple case of misinformation corrected.

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Right here.

That says mandatory kinect support for all apps. That means the Youtube app can work however they want it but it must also support kinect. They are just trying to make sure Kinect users aren't left out in the cold. Controller users will still be the main focus.

Icarus4578
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
When you attach 'mandatory' to something, that indicates it's required. When they said that Wii Motion+ was mandatory for playing Zelda ~ Skyward Sword, that meant that it could not be played without it.

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
the word "support" was an important modifier.

Icarus4578
12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Would've clarified the whole thing by simply stating 'optional Kinect support' instead of 'mandatory,' but whateva.

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
But it's not optional, it's mandatory, for developers.

Sinful Sam
12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I was able to get Netflixs working by constanly pressing "retry" and it eventually launched. Hopefully they fix it.

Joe Redifer
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
The update seems to have went fine for me. What did it do besides the FAR BETTER (though still not as good as Blades, thank science for the Xbox button) UI? I don't have Xbox Live Gold so I cannot download any "apps". I do have a card that came with my Xbox that says I get 3 months of Live free by typing in the code. It literally says it is a $25 value. 3 months for $25? So Xbox Live is $100 per year now? That's ridiculous. I can get a stand-alone Blu-ray player with wireless Netflix support for $40 less than that and it works great!

I haven't redeemed it because there's really no reason to go on Live that I can find. I'll hang on to it for now.

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Year subs are 60 a year tops and you can usually find them for 40 a year. I saw that deal pop up the other day. Anyway if you're not itching to get into some xbox live multiplayer then there's nothing for you in gold I think.

My favorite new feature is the voice searching of xbox live marketplace with bing. The thing I hate the most is learning where they are hiding the xbox live arcade games. I go to marketplace and it seems to have them all clumped together. I'm still sorting it out a bit.

Kiuju2k
12-15-2011, 10:45 PM
That's not what I meant. Kinect support is mandatory for developers to implement into apps, not the gamers. Sorry, but you have to know that would not make any sense, why would they do that? However since Microsoft charges us for the internet( I have been learning), I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up happening next console cycle.

BlindMaphisto
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
The kinect is cool but the delay in it and the frequent read errors made the tech seem just too lackadaisical.

Kiuju2k
12-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I want you to know that I looked that word up. Lackadaisical you do know this is a gaming forum lol.

I don't use my kinect enough to notice any of the errors. My son jumps around all over the place so it's bound not to work right.

Icarus4578
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
The only appeal of Xbox Live for myself would be to play against people in Street Fighter III.

Kiuju2k
12-16-2011, 08:17 PM
which is a horrendous experience in itself.

Joe Redifer
12-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Street Fighter 3 is the horrendous experience or playing SF3 online?

Kiuju2k
12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Playing it on live.

Badrats Studio
12-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Playing it on live.

How is the comparison to PSN online ? I believe both version are"GGPO-enable" and identical each other without different "easter eggs".

Kiuju2k
12-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Both are terrible. Capcom did GGPO wrong. Just play it on the emulator like everybody else does. I have gotten better matches back when I was playing on it. GGPO is really good netcode and I don't understand how capcom could have messed it up so badly.

Sinful Sam
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Here's Xbox Live for a year for $40. I think there was someone possible interested in it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-LIVE12-Month-Gold-Card-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/17641863?wmlspartner=dZCX6Je2w8Q&sourceid=22715283451497930243