PDA

View Full Version : Two Xbox 720 models reportedly planned

darren
11-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I hate multi skus.. Just the one please.

Microsoft is likely to pursue a two SKU strategy for its next Xbox console.

That's according to a Digital Foundry report on GamesIndustry.biz, which says the platform holder is expected to take the two model approach much further with its new console.
It will reportedly offer a "pared down system to be released as cheaply as possible, and positioned more along the lines of a set-top box (the use of 360 as a Netflix viewing platform in the US is colossal) and perhaps as a Kinect-themed gaming portal".

This would be released alongside "a more fully-featured machine with optical drive, hard disk and backward compatibility aimed at the hardcore would be released at a higher price-point", the site adds.

It also claims Kinect is likely to receive a significant upgrade, and will more than likely be bundled with the console.

When the next Xbox will be announced and released has recently been the subject of heightening speculation. Microsoft is rumoured to be planning to make the first official announcements about its next-gen Xbox at the CES expo in January 2012, while Edge has heard from sources that the system may launch as early as next year.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327304/two-xbox-720-models-reportedly-planned/

eastx
11-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Nice thread location, heh.

But the way the rumor reads, there will be a much cheaper Xbox that's mostly for video streaming (but also downloadable games) and a proper retail Xbox. I think it could work, if handled properly.

Alucard
11-24-2011, 04:01 PM
That first ones not even counted as a gaming console though.

darren
11-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Nice thread location, heh.

But the way the rumor reads, there will be a much cheaper Xbox that's mostly for video streaming (but also downloadable games) and a proper retail Xbox. I think it could work, if handled properly.

Lol ... Whoops.. Joe will move it he's good like that

FinalSolace2
11-24-2011, 04:20 PM
MERGE THE THREADS!!!

Badrats Studio
11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Cheaper means better penetration to the market. I approve. But it also means butchered. I disapprove.

I'm more curious about the medium disc that they'll use in it. Is it something like Wii U ?

Escaflowne2001
11-25-2011, 12:49 AM
They should just swallow there pride and use Blu-ray.

Alucard
11-25-2011, 01:33 AM
MS will totally use bluray for the new system. They're all about being cool and all purpose system for all. A bluray player is always attractive.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 09:46 AM
That first ones not even counted as a gaming console though.

Exactly. Us gamers didn't decide that we wanted our game consoles to become glorified set-top boxes, so why should we have to pay a premium for the features we want? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Escaflowne2001
11-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Nice way to try and twist things around needlessly.

eastx
11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Good call. Icarus, always finding the wrong side if there is one.

darren
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
MS will totally use bluray for the new system. They're all about being cool and all purpose system for all. A bluray player is always attractive.

since even Nintendo are going to be using BR (or a modified version) i'd be horrified in the 720 didnt

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 11:05 AM

How do you figure? If the report is true then Microsoft is forcing gamers to pay extra for features which should come standard, such as backward compatibility. Instead of taking it out on the gamers' wallets, they should be taking it out on the non-gamer who wants an all-in-one set-top box -- make them pay extra for the non-gaming filler.

eastx
11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
How do you figure? If the report is true then Microsoft is forcing gamers to pay extra for features which should come standard, such as backward compatibility. Instead of taking it out on the gamers' wallets, they should be taking it out on the non-gamer who wants an all-in-one set-top box -- make them pay extra for the non-gaming filler.

What part don't you get? One is the proper gaming console that will cost as much as consoles always cost, while the other is a set top video streamer that will also probably play downloadable games. The latter will be dirty cheap and marketed at people who only need a video streaming device.

While there is some risk of brand confusion, etc. there is no risk of what you are saying, which is just goofy.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
"The latter will be dirty cheap and marketed at people who only need a video streaming device."

If the latter is for people who want a video streaming device, what's the point in even having it be a video game console? Where do you get off saying that one's a "proper" video game console and the other isn't? If that is true then there's something very wrong with this picture. Also, how do you know how much the fuller version will cost? The "complete" console will inevitably have all the features of the cheaper model, so that's all just added filler. I'm looking out for the gamer's best interests, not the corporate's, believe it or not. If it weren't for all the extra tacked-on non-gaming junk, there wouldn't even be dual versions.

KingOfSentinels
11-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I think this is true, but the cheap console thing won't be branded as Xbox or as a videogame console, I can't see MS doing that. The Xbox 720 is going to stay exactly as it is, while the other thing is simply just a new product. I don't think it'll be the 'Xbox Lite' or something like that.

Then again, just like Nintendo did with the Wii U, keeping a powerful brand name (Xbox) might help drive sales for people who don't know anything and just buy whatever. But who knows.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
There is no question that this is a marketing ploy by MS to move as many units out of the gate as is possible. The problem here is that they're making the gamer pay extra for the full product. Why is this a problem? Because it's showing favortism to those who have more money to throw around. This shouldn't even be up for debate.

eastx
11-25-2011, 12:06 PM
A console is a full effing product. There's no reason to believe the console will cost any more than what an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ever cost at launch. What you're saying is stupid.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 12:14 PM
In essence it's like saying that people who have more money to spend get a better console. And yes, I'm aware of what happened when the X360 & PS3 launched, but the discrepancy was more about additional storage space rather than features pertinent to gaming. This time out, they want you to pay extra for standard features. It smacks of class warfare.

KingOfSentinels
11-25-2011, 12:16 PM
We don't know that they're making the gamer pay more, you're jumping to conclusions far too quickly since this might not even be true, and we don't really know anything enough to do anything more than speculate.

This will probably be in the same vein to buying a Playstation 3 or just a Sony blu-ray player; one's a gaming machine and blu-ray player, while the other is just a blu-ray player. So the Xbox 720 will be a gaming platform, and could have set-top box features, while the other is just a set-top box. Two different products, two different markets, and more money for Microsoft.

Also, no idea what a set-top box is. I'm guessing it's the thing that picks up digital TV or something?

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
If what you're saying is true then why would they even be discussing two seperate models of the Xbox 720? Granted it's still just a rumor but I'm speaking out because it's a bad idea. If a game console developer makes two versions of the same console and the one that has additional gaming features carries a steeper price tag, that truly is pathetic. How would they market it? Xbox 720 & Xbox 720 Lite?

KingOfSentinels
11-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, and like I said originally, the second model I don't even see being marketed as a gaming console. If it is then fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean the main gaming platform has to be over-priced. It could come with all the features of the set-top box product.

So until we know more, there's no point having a cry about it. Just wait for MS to actually say something.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 12:43 PM
If it's not being marketed as a gaming console, what's the point in calling it the Xbox 720? Also, I'm not crying about it -- I'm speaking my piece. If the rumor is true, it's a shallow makreting ploy to try and cater to two seperate crowds.

KingOfSentinels
11-25-2011, 12:58 PM
We don't know that it's being called the Xbox 720, this isn't an official statement by Microsoft or anything. And also, no, it isn't a shallow marketing ploy, it's a very viable marketing ploy to break into a new section of the market and make more money. Microsoft is a business after all. It sees a lot of people using the Xbox as a set-top box, and it tries to capitalise on this. We don't know Xbox isn't going to suffer because of this or anything. So need need to jump to a worse case scenario.

It's like when people see a game having multiplayer and instantly think the singleplayer will suffer because of it.

Icarus4578
11-25-2011, 01:16 PM
"We don't know that it's being called the Xbox 720, this isn't an official statement by Microsoft or anything."

No, but we're working off the assumption that it is, in which case there are two versions of the same console. Obviously the corporates are only looking out for their bottom line. The issue here is that, if the rumor holds true, they're taking it out on the gamer's wallets. It's bad enough that they nickel and dime everyone with the stupid microtransactions, effectively making people pay extra for content in games the consumer already paid for over the counter.

KingOfSentinels
11-25-2011, 02:51 PM
You're assuming something based off an rumour... well, I'll leave you to that then. Don't see why it won't click in your head that a second product doesn't have to impact the first, especially since these two are most likely not going to be connected at all. And if are, they're both directed to different sectors of the market.

Alucard
11-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I remember when sony took away the option for backwards comp in the ps3 for my region. They said they were doing it so the system would be cheaper for us. Prices didnt change and we lost out on a feature. Basically it doesnt matter what goes in the 720 or not, they're going to make us pay a figure they like. ie, we'll get raped in some way so we might as well just bend over and close our eyes. Its how it always is.

Joe Redifer
11-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with (the full console, of course). I don't think it will be called the Xbox 720, though. That would associate them with 720p and I bet one of their big marketing angles will be that all games run in 1080p natively (as opposed to 720p or less this generation). The Xbox 1080? Maybe. But my guess is that they'll come up with some word to affix to it instead of a number. The Xbox Powerstation!