PDA

View Full Version : If your xbox RRODs is there still a way to transfer DLC/XBLA games?

spider-prime
07-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Reason I'm asking is that a friend has a old 60 gig Xbox pro model and he only wants 50 dollars for it and it comes with 3 wireless controllers and his games that are on it, he doesn't care for XBLA games. He's mostly a sports games kind of guy. So this was a good deal to me but if it breaks on me I'm just wondering if I can transfer the stuff over to a new model?

I mostly want this cause I was going to buy a Xbox controller for the PC and for the same price I'm getting 3 of them the system and a few games with it. So why not?

eastx
07-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Reason I'm asking is that a friend has a old 60 gig Xbox pro model and he only wants 50 dollars for it and it comes with 3 wireless controllers and his games that are on it, he doesn't care for XBLA games. He's mostly a sports games kind of guy. So this was a good deal to me but if it breaks on me I'm just wondering if I can transfer the stuff over to a new model?

I mostly want this cause I was going to buy a Xbox controller for the PC and for the same price I'm getting 3 of them the system and a few games with it. So why not?

Is he giving you the GamerTag too? All of his purchases are tied to it. If you put the hard drive on another console, the games won't work unless the purchasing GamerTag is connected to Xbox Live.

Assuming he gives you the GamerTag (you'll need the Windows Live ID and password), you can transfer the licenses to the new console and redownload everything. Then it will all work for everyone on the new console, regardless of the GamerTag used or internet connection.

But even if he doesn't give you the GamerTag, that is still a pretty nice deal (factoring in the controllers). By the time that system breaks (if ever), perhaps you'll have beaten the majority of the downloaded games anyway. Then you could just repurchase the stuff you wanted to keep playing, if anything.

spider-prime
07-30-2011, 01:42 AM
yah I was thinking the same thing that it's not a big deal if I lose the games if it ever does RROD.

He's going to stop playing games for a while, he doesn't really play anything other than sports games lately, he plays a lot of sports already so he's just going to focus on that.
So I'm getting the gamertag to use also, which wasn't a big deal to me, I would have just made my own, but since he doesn't care for the few games he downloaded and I know I have to use them with his gamertag, I'm just going to use it for now.

darren
07-30-2011, 04:53 AM
you can transfer the save data from the hdd to a new system using the cable thing you can buy for 10 and re download gamertag data from xbla.

BlindMaphisto
07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
If the content is tied to the console (IE you can play it even when not connected to xbox live) you can actually play it on your own gamertag as long as your gamertag is on that system.

spider-prime
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
That's good to know and I know I can transfer it if the system is working, I just wanted to know if there was a way to copy it without the system working if it did RROD. I didn't think there was, but it would be great to know if I could.

IoriYagami n8
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Microsoft has a license transfer now. This will take any DLC/Arcade games from one console and tie them to a new console. If this occurs, the DLC on the older console will not be available unless you are signed in to the Live account that purchased the content.

If you get a new console, you will need to have your friend do a license transfer to the new console in order to use the DLC without his gamertag. If he gets a new console, he may go online and transfer the license to his new console, in which case the DLC would no longer be available on the older one you got from him.

I recently did a license transfer when I got one of the new 360 models to ensure I would be able to access my DLC if for some reason I wasn't on Live.