PDA

View Full Version : Question about 360 controllers.

Einhander
05-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Are they all battery operated only? I sit close enough to my tv/console that I don't really need it to be wireless, and it's a pain in the ass worrying about batteries all the time. Is there not a cord I can get for the controller?

Vegetto
05-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah there's wired, why make a thread asking? quick amazon search for "wired 360 controller" http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wired+360+controller&x=0&y=0

I have one, it's all I use, great PC controller too

pretty sure you can get a standalone cord as well, but those don't work on PC

spider-prime
05-28-2011, 12:30 AM
wired controllers work on PC? so I don't have to buy a overpriced windows 360 controller?

Vegetto
05-28-2011, 12:37 AM
windows controller? wat

look at the first result on that link and see that wired one is 30 bucks. those work on pc.

I didn't even know about those WINDOWS controllers, what a scam.

spider-prime
05-28-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/xbox-wireless-controller-for-pc-windows-xbox-360/10083648.aspx?path=5dafa0c5769b81770f9e0c3a7dd69fc 0en02

It's this, comes with a wireless dongle and crap to connect to the PC. Cost more than the wireless 360 controllers.

eastx
05-28-2011, 01:10 AM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/xbox-wireless-controller-for-pc-windows-xbox-360/10083648.aspx?path=5dafa0c5769b81770f9e0c3a7dd69fc 0en02

It's this, comes with a wireless dongle and crap to connect to the PC. Cost more than the wireless 360 controllers.

It costs more because it comes with the dongle. Once you have a receiver, you could connect multiple wireless controllers at once. But obviously, wired controllers are easier and a better value.

spider-prime
05-28-2011, 01:16 AM
are the wired controllers usb? I thought they were a different port.

Einhander
05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah there's wired, why make a thread asking?

Because I had assumed it would come with a cord to charge to plug it in like the PS3 does. I was really surprised when it didn't, so I didn't know if the option existed.

eastx
05-28-2011, 01:33 AM
are the wired controllers usb? I thought they were a different port.

Yep, USB. They are actually the default gamepad for PC games these days - any game that works with a controller supports it, usually with matching on-screen button prompts.

spider-prime
05-28-2011, 01:37 AM
yah, that's why I wanted one, but I didn't cause I wanted to make sure I got the right one.

Super Meat Boy on steam is unplayable without the xbox controller.

Sweet, I'm going to pick one up after I upgrade my computer.

Joe Redifer
05-28-2011, 01:52 AM
The wired Xbox 360 controller is all I use as well. It works great with the computer. The PS3 controller also works with a computer if you connect a USB cable, but it can be a bit more of a pain as lots of stuff won't recognize it and the cable is nowhere near as long as the Xbox 360's.

spider-prime
05-28-2011, 01:55 AM
yah that is what I was using is the PS3 controller, works great for playing old NES games and SNES games cause of the Dpad.

Drunken Savior
05-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Yeah, the wired XBox controller is fucking fantastic for PC gaming. In addition to two Saturn USB pads, it rounds out my PC gaming controller collection...though I'd like to add a steering wheel soon.

Einhander, your other option is getting the battery pack and USB charger for your wireless controller. Cheaper than buying a new controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Black-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B000OYMYZQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1306566026&sr=8-10

progmetal
05-28-2011, 06:34 AM
I have that one DS, and it's been such a pain getting it to charge. I have to plug it in and pulling it out several times before it starts to charge without turning green all the time. Sometimes it won't turn green when it's finished charging. Both my pattery packs can be a pain to charge.

Anyone else having trouble with their play & charge kit?

darren
05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Nope. Just sounds like yous is fucked

progmetal
05-28-2011, 08:36 AM
It's been like this since they were new also. Alot of others have the same problem too, and they also have to replug the charger several times to get it charging.

Pretty strange though.

bujeezus
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
I have that one DS, and it's been such a pain getting it to charge. I have to plug it in and pulling it out several times before it starts to charge without turning green all the time. Sometimes it won't turn green when it's finished charging. Both my pattery packs can be a pain to charge.

my play n charge never worked with my win xp box. it recognized it but it never functioned as a controller. is that what yer askin? i just grabbed a madcatz 360 controller from hudson's treasure chest for like $7. works fantastic.

progmetal
06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
No I don't use it with my computer. I'm having issues getting the play & charge kit to charge the battery pack when it's plugged in to the 360.

As I said alot of other people also have to plug it in several times to get it charging. There is also some complainig about bad contact between the battery pack and controller sometimes. It helped me by loosening and pushing the batterypack back in place. Another guy even put solder on the contacts to get it charging.

I'm never buying that overpriced play & charge kit again. I rather use rechargeable AA batteries instead.

Havoc2049
06-06-2011, 05:10 PM

Sounds like you need a new battery pack.

progmetal
06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
It was my new battery pack that was acting up the most from the beginning.

But now after the new xbox update it suddenly charges fine, for the time beeing.