PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Party Paradox

Slash
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
This guy has made some great videos dealing whit the BS that going on in the gaming world . And this one is a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ULwnJesXow&feature=related

Dandadda
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Excellent Video, this man speaks the truth!

I'm not buying SS4 Either! Chumps!

Einhander
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Games are not art because the Wii doesn't have good third party support?

Ridiculous.

The Wii is better than the PS2? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

This guy was probably high when making this.

Sinful Sam
09-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I watched a portion of the video but when they said the Wii is better then the PS2 I believe they meant about the console's overall specs.

Einhander
09-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Well I'm assuming he meant better, since he didn't say more powerful than the PS2.

This just sounds like a raging Nintendo fanboy.

I like my Wii, but he is way off base. Out of eleven Wii games I own, four are main first party games - and two of those were packaged with the console.

And I can think of at least seven third party games I want to pick up (3 Trauma games, NMH 2, Broken Sword, Xenoblade, Last Story) vs one first party games (Kirby's Epic Yarn)

Zack
09-20-2010, 03:47 AM
yea somebody's ragin alright

Drunken Savior
09-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Aisde from the fact that the speaks voice patter really annoys me...

This video is fucking stupid. If you are a gamer who is suffering because you only have a Wii, get a fucking job and buy something else. If you won't because you only support Nintendo, then your blind loyalty is the cause of your suffering. I fully believe that if the Wii was on the technical level of the PS3 and 360 and had a traditional controller, they'd get all the same 3rd party games that the PS3 and 360 do.

Nem
09-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Kinda agree with DS. Nintendo took a strategy that differenciates them in the market. For them to do that they had to create a product thats different from the others and lets be honest... its really hard to work games into the Wii remote. It might be a cool gadget but its not as good as a classic controller.

By differenciating themselves like that Nintendo pushed out the Hardcore gamers, bar their loyal fanbase that will do everything they say aka the guy in the video.
The thing is, the Wii isnt a gamers console and so the games dont sell and the developers keep their major projects on the X360 and PS3 cause they sell since thats where their target audience is. They dont port them to the Wii aswell cause just like DS said, its not powerful enough and Nintendo didnt come out with the Wii HD, so it would be like developing a new game except it doesnt sell - so theres really no reason to.

This is gonna generate flames but for the main part the Wii is a gimmick. You can make good games for it surely, but the reason that it sold so much is cause of games like Wii Fit or Just dance. It's just aimed at the general consumer and not at the hardcore gamer. You cant expect third parties not to understand that when looking at how their games fare. Most of the Wii audience doesnt buy games. All the games that sell are usually fitness/music/dancing cause they fit the remote really well. The thing is this is Nintendo's target audience and their games fit it perfectly, so all they do works just cause its Nintendo.

I'm gonna give an easy example on the Nintendo side. Go look at how much a game like Metroid other M sells. Thats the hardcore nintendo crowd right there. Now look at how much a Wii fit game sells.
Third parties only have that metroid crowd to work with in that whole universe of wii customers. In reality the installed base of hardcore gamers is probably less than the GC.

Zack
09-20-2010, 06:59 AM
other than a few rare exceptions (ie monster hunter), it's a waste of resources to develop a big budget wii exclusive. it's more expensive to produce a game for 360, but you can make that game simultaneously for ps3 and pc on the same engine. 3 games for one. this isn't possible with wii because of it's last-gen graphics.

I'm gonna give an easy example on the Nintendo side. Go look at how much a game like Metroid other M sells. Thats the hardcore nintendo croud right there. Now look at how much a Wii fit game sells.
Third parties only have that metroid croud to work with in that whole universe of wii customers. In reality the installed base of hardcore gamers is probably less than the GC.

pretty much

Drunken Savior
09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
By differenciating themselves like that Nintendo pushed out the Hardcore gamers, bar their loyal fanbase that will do everything they say aka the guy in the video.

I think loyal Nintendo fans, those that love Zelda, Mario, Metroid, et cetera, ARE hardcore gamers. I don't think hardcore gamers really care about console loyalty, they just play games. But what Nintendo did was target a lot of non-gamers, in addition to the traditional gamer audience. The low starting price and heavy advertising of the motion controls (play with the family) is adequate evidence of this. But this is really just a point based on semantics....

This was a gamble that paid off for Nintendo. The Wii has sold the most consoles and some of Nintendo's non-traditional games (i.e. Wii Sports) are some of the best selling games around. And history has shown that who ever sells the most consoles gets the lion's share of the 3rd party games. BUT by drawing in a whole new audience, people overlook the buying patterns of those new folk. They don't buy games: They are happy playing 1-3 games by Nintendo and replaying them again and again. The traditional audience will buy two to three TIMES that many games a year, often more. This new audience wouldn't really be interested in the big 3rd party franchises if they were on the Wii, if the Wii had a more traditional controller alternative. And the traditional audience would probably look at the graphics of the Wii and the graphics of the other two and probably abandon the Wii versions unless they cost significantly less. Because who would pay the same price, for the same game, with significantly less advanced graphics. I'm not talking about the graphical difference between the PS2 and GC/360....the difference between the Wii and the 360 is cavernous.

CongoJack
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
This video is fucking stupid. If you are a gamer who is suffering because you only have a Wii, get a fucking job and buy something else.

Amen to that, this has been the case since the N64. The only thing new about this situation is that Nintendo is selling games to non-gamers now.

Nem
09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I think loyal Nintendo fans, those that love Zelda, Mario, Metroid, et cetera, ARE hardcore gamers. I don't think hardcore gamers really care about console loyalty, they just play games. But what Nintendo did was target a lot of non-gamers, in addition to the traditional gamer audience. The low starting price and heavy advertising of the motion controls (play with the family) is adequate evidence of this. But this is really just a point based on semantics....

Just to correct, i did meant that crowd as the Nintendo "harcore" gamer crowd. Wasnt worded very well.

Joe Redifer
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Crowd. With a "w".

darren
09-21-2010, 03:13 AM
I think loyal Nintendo fans, those that love Zelda, Mario, Metroid, et cetera, ARE hardcore gamers. I don't think hardcore gamers really care about console loyalty, they just play games. .

this

so called hardcore gamers even though i hate the term will play any old bit of crap on any system just for the sake of playing games .. no offence meant Escaflowne is a prime example of this he will give anything on any system a try no matter how shitty it is meant to be.

people who for example who just play jrpgs or fps's are not hard core gamers IMO . they are dull one trick ponies that only play 1 type of game thinking they are HARDCORE.

Escaflowne2001
09-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Still I only stick to certain genres though.

darren
09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
true but you dont just play 1 genre and clam to be hardcore thats my point . JRP and FPS fans are the worst for it imo.

Drunken Savior
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Just to correct, i did meant that croud as the Nintendo "harcore" gamer croud. Wasnt worded very well.

Right. That's why I added that that point was based mostly on semantics.

Dandadda
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Darren is that pic of Mel recent? because if so LOL

Nem
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Crowd. With a "w".

I stand corrected. :)