PDA

View Full Version : Sony invites M$ & NGC to....

THX 1138
05-14-2002, 02:40 PM
........Dojo Benihanas for slash fest.
Will Xbox join the feast?

Rubeus
05-14-2002, 05:04 PM
I think Microsoft is probably shocking for the new low price of PS2, it's much lower than expected. M$ will lose a huge amount of money if they follow the price drop, consider they are already losing $100+ per Xbox.

FumieHosokawa
05-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Not only that, but unlike Sony, who has reportedly streamlined the PS2's production process, Microsoft is still engaged in battles with its manufacturing "chums" Flextronics and (parts supplier) NVidia over who takes the biggest chunk of their loss.

Overlord
05-14-2002, 05:30 PM
Theres a possibility that the Xbox will go down to 199 by the end of the month. But thats only a rumor. The Xbox might have to go lower than that. Since it couldn't beat the PS2 at 299.

...If the Xbox goes. So does the GameCube. The GameCube will lose it's price advantage, so it has to maintain it.

Black Ace
05-14-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Theres a possibility that the Xbox will go down to 199 by the end of the month. But thats only a rumor. The Xbox might have to go lower than that. Since it couldn't beat the PS2 at 299.

...If the Xbox goes. So does the GameCube. The GameCube will lose it's price advantage, so it has to maintain it.

GameCube price will remain at $199 for quite sometime. It is quite clear that if people intentention were to get a PS2, they would get it as well at $299 before the price dropped, PS2 was still outselling GameCube when it was $299. So people who go with the GameCube will not picked up a PS2 even though if its the same price.

THX 1138
05-15-2002, 12:35 PM
MicroSoft slashed the price of Xbox to $200 this morning.
Now all Xbox needs is some better games and a better controller.:D
I'm glad they dropped the price though;)

Overlord
05-15-2002, 04:32 PM
THX 1138:
Now all Xbox needs is some better games and a better controller.

The clash of Titans is on. The Xbox did come out with a better controller. I think it's called the S controller or something. It's a lot smaller, and similar to the Japanese one. But there is a perfectly good reason (http://penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010829l.gif) why the American one is so big though.

Rubeus
05-15-2002, 04:44 PM
It's really sad for those who bought the Xbox before the price drop, you are already losing $100 and the system is not even a year old!

DBJAY
05-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Well, how do you think the people who just spent 300 bucks on the PS2 this last Christmas through May now feel? Wasn't Sony claiming that they outsold both the GC and Xbox throughout the Christmas season and all of 2002? That would mean that Sony has quite a few more customers that all "lost 100" in less than six months.

Was there any reason Sony could not have dropped the price to 199 during last Christmas? Nope. In a shrewd business move, they kept the PS2 at 299, fully intending to reduce the price in May to get the drop on Nintendo and MS prior to E3 to steal the spotlight. All it really does however, is enforce the fact that all the new PS2 owners this year are in the same boat as new Xbox owners.

mxgame
05-16-2002, 07:21 AM
Early adopters always take a risk when buying a console. The price is going to drop eventually. I remember buying the PSX for $299 and it was worth every penny of it at the time but you can pick up one now for less than $100. I might buy another Xbox now just for system link purposes with Halo.

Rubeus
05-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by DBJAY
Well, how do you think the people who just spent 300 bucks on the PS2 this last Christmas through May now feel? Wasn't Sony claiming that they outsold both the GC and Xbox throughout the Christmas season and all of 2002? That would mean that Sony has quite a few more customers that all "lost 100" in less than six months.

Was there any reason Sony could not have dropped the price to 199 during last Christmas? Nope. In a shrewd business move, they kept the PS2 at 299, fully intending to reduce the price in May to get the drop on Nintendo and MS prior to E3 to steal the spotlight. All it really does however, is enforce the fact that all the new PS2 owners this year are in the same boat as new Xbox owners.

The problem is -- PS2 is already out for one and a half year, so it will get a price drop sooner or later, but Xbox is only out for half a year, it's still too early for a price drop.

The price drop of PS2 affects only those who purchased the machine in the last few months, but the price drop of Xbox affects every owner of the machine.

THX 1138
05-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Sony's price cuts seem to be only for North America and specifically directed at Bill Gates and his Xbox. (lol:p reminds me of Pearl Harbor ll !!)

So, what does Bill do? He matches Sony, only worldwide.
(What else can the worlds richest man do?)

Alucard
05-21-2002, 01:20 AM
Well the GC is down to $149 now. And by the look of it they planned it before Sony or M4 announced it since they had already sent posters and stuff a week ago to stores. So maybe they are reacting to GC. Not Sony reacting to M$.

hgblob
05-21-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by THX 1138
Sony's price cuts seem to be only for North America and specifically directed at Bill Gates and his Xbox. (lol:p reminds me of Pearl Harbor ll !!)

Well... maybe :) But remember that the PS2 had dropped its prices in Japan and Europe some months before. With people clamouring for a price drop in the US, I suppose Sony wanted to wait for the right time to do it, and so chose this year's pre-E3 to do so.