PDA

View Full Version : My personal ratings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

SavedFromSin
01-08-2006, 06:43 PM
You got lucky the other night when you found the game Sinful Sam. For as long as the game has been out I have only seen it in stores twice. The first time was when I bought it and the second time was when you bought it.

Icarus4578
01-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Yes, I'm aware. The powers that be have decided that we're just not ready for that kind of quality, so they're pulling it off the store shelves.

gearhound
01-10-2006, 03:26 AM
"One magazine only made it up to Dhoulmagus' compounds before attaching their ratings to it -- not even halfway through. All I can think to say is, 'This is the Bbest driink I'VE had in aaages.'"

isn't that unbelievable? it is to me, and it is also sad. what magazine was it?

Icarus4578
01-10-2006, 03:50 AM
That would be EGM (surprise, surprise). I didn't mention them by name because I didn't want to sound as if I was singling them out when others did the same thing. I no longer care for attacking any said party and would much prefer to do my own thing. They can have their way and I'll have mine.

I'll be sending out the new mix CDs today and will send you guys the playlist sometime later on so as not to ruin the surprise too soon. I worked hard on this one.

TMPD review coming your way tomorrow.

Joe Redifer
01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
The powers that be have decided that we're just not ready for that kind of quality, so they're pulling [Trauma Center Under Da Knizzife and Pheonix Wrizzite Ace Attorney Pet Detective] off the store shelves.

Not that we're not ready, but most likely that they're not selling. I don't think there is any conspiracy here.

Icarus4578
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
No conspiracy, just lousy media coverage which helped kill off these games prematurely.

Icarus4578
01-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Girl play

Tokimeki Memorial Taisen (Puzzle Drama) - Arcade (import) - Rating 7
Get this equation: Puzzle game + Girls = Instant money maker. Konami knows that at anytime whatsoever they can make a puzzle game, insert characters from any of their popular series and watch the cash roll in. And so, Tokimeki Memorial Taisen was born. Yes, it's a fun game, but it can also be one of the absolute cheapest as well. The objective is simple enough: Using small faces which fall from the top of the screen in groups of two, arrange and match 3 or more of one particular color to make them disappear. Very similar to another puzzler, the tremendously popular [for its time] Puyo Puyo. (A little too similar if you ask me.) You'll also have to deal with the smaller heart versions of the faces which only become faces once you've made a group of faces adjacent to them dissipitate. As you can imagine, chain combos come into play quite often and there's strategy involved to what is otherwise just another random, almost mindlessly fun puzzle game. The TM girls were only included in order to help sell the game, although Konami would probably have you believe otherwise.

You begin by selecting your desired difficulty setting. If you choose the easy or normal route you'll go straight to the character select screen. It is here that you'll see each of the girls' different "strategies" for dropping/rising faces (did I mention that sometimes they also push the screen upward?), but nobody is going to care about any of that nonsense because they'll be too interested in picking out a favorite character. From there it's onward you go into the perils of a young schoolgirl's treacherous road to love which can only be fulfilled by beating others in a puzzle match, just like in real life. If you choose easy difficulty, you'll only face three characters and, should you prevail, receive a love letter -- that is, a rotating love letter; yes, that's right -- Konami is the shits when it comes to special effects! You heard it here first.

Er, anyway, if you choose normal difficulty, you'll go through the full game, but you will not be allowed to rank in for some strange reason. If you select the hard difficulty setting (I'm just guessing that's what they're called -- me no hablo Japanese), you'll input your name (once again, in Japanese...) and then you'll select which girl you'd like to be forever with you. Awwwww. But love isn't that easy. The CPU on hard can be downright brutal and I oftentimes wondered whether my victories were not the result of mere luck. Everybody has to take on Shiori Fujisaki (the red-headed main character) as their final encounter, except for Shiori, obviously, who has to do battle with Miharu Tatebayashi (the green-haired girl with those ring-shaped tresses). What makes this game so uneven is that sometimes you'll be having a really, really hard time trying to defeat one girl ....and then get by the following girl with little difficulty. That more than anything else tells me that there's something very unbalanced about this game, at least on 1 Player. What makes the CPU's skill level so unreal is how well organized it is with its faces, even though they're dropping like mad! The horror! The drama!

The graphics are warm and colorful, like everything was designed to cater to little girls. In other words, very similar to GamePro Magazine. Before each match commences, your girl will move to the next location on a linear map and converse with the next opponent before going into battle. During each match, the screen is divided in the middle and you can visibly see your character making all sorts of gestures and expressions depending on how happy, flirtatious, upset, or worried she's getting. You know how it is with women and their little mood swings from out of nowhere. Hearts will fall onto your opponent's stack should you perform a chain combo. Naturally, the more you chain together in a row, the greater the damage caused. My best chain is 14 with Mira Kagami (the sexy one with purple hair) vs Shiori Fujisaki for the final victory. Oh, and that chain combo was expertly pre-planned and set-up by yours truly (yeah, right).

Whoever it was that decided we should be subjected to hearing the same song again and again should have a blimp crash into his car while on his way home. Aside from the last couple of matches, it's that one song over and over. It's not even a good song. Yes, all of the music is derived from Tokimeki Memorial, but some of their choices are questionable at best. There's a bit of voice work, too -- these girls love to hurl tame insults and sarcastic apologies at one another. Sure, I don't know Japanese but I can tell. Nobody cares about whether or not the sound effects are presented in Dolby Pro-Logic II or whatever, and so nor do I.

Sure, I can think of various puzzle games which one-up this Konami effort--Tetris Attack, Puyo Puyo Tsu, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, among others--but Tokimeki Memorial Taisen is still fun to play every now and then. Oh, and try not to lose against the final boss, unless you want the loser ending. I've said everything that needed to be said about this game. This review is finished. You can stop reading it now. Thank you. You can return to your game of Congo Bongo. Really, I won't stop you.

This review would like to make a shout-out to all its homies.

TM Taisen is also available for the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation (imports).

gearhound
02-18-2006, 11:24 PM
icarus, what are you going to review next?

are you playing anything right now?

have you tried grandia 3?

Icarus4578
02-19-2006, 07:21 AM
I haven't been gaming lately. What I want to do is buy webspace so that I can add my own content in my own way. I said previously that I'd review games like Mushihimesama and will do so. I also want to do the music special but without webspace it wouldn't be as good a feature as hoped.

gearhound
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
alright... i'm going to be the first one to say it...

... stop pussy footin' around and review bubbling bath babes.

Icarus4578
03-12-2006, 04:52 PM
The music special is completed and hopefully will be posted sometime this week if I can manage to secure web space but will only leave the music up for a specific amount of time due to download restrictions.

On another note, I've never been ashamed to speak my own opinions and now moreso than ever; I'm not an aspiring game reviewer with an overgrown ego. I don't need to write e-mails to people and bring it up in order to make myself out to be hot sh*t or something, like it's some incredible accomplishment. There's never been an impulse on my part to follow trends or declare myself to be the best thing ever. This is just the small space which I've created. Not much of an accomplishment, really. If only one person finds it interesting, so be it. I'm not out to win anybody over.

Paper exe
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
You won me over, Icarus.

gearhound
03-15-2006, 07:42 PM
On another note, I've never been ashamed to speak my own opinions and now moreso than ever; I'm not an aspiring game reviewer with an overgrown ego. I don't need to write e-mails to people and bring it up in order to make myself out to be hot sh*t or something, like it's some incredible accomplishment. There's never been an impulse on my part to follow trends or declare myself to be the best thing ever. This is just the small space which I've created. Not much of an accomplishment, really. If only one person finds it interesting, so be it. I'm not out to win anybody over.

where did that come from, icarus?

Icarus4578
03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Impulse.

tpfkanep
03-17-2006, 08:39 AM
I am not that big on game soundtracks. I must admit tho I am a sucker for ambient music and sound effects... when used wisely. There are a few games that I play with the OST playing, most I play with my own music in the background, esp. RPGs. I think more games should have the option to disable the soundtrack.

I loved the lo-fi Animal Crossing music files that one could collect, as well as that games soundtracks that change by the hour.

Joe Redifer
03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Interesting piece. Game music kicks ass and believe it or not it comprises the majority of music I listen to when I choose to listen to music in places like my car or on my MiniDisc player before I sleep or whatever. Game music often influences how much I am able to get in to a game.

A few things, though:

It would be nice to not only read which system each selection is on (is Outrunners for arcade or Genesis? I prefer the arcade soundtrack myself). Also it would be nice to read your opinions on what makes each soundtrack great instead of just the title. 100KB isn't 1/10th of a meg unless you are referrring to a megabyte. 128KB is 1 game meg. A game like Super Castlevania IV has only 1024KB... 1 megabyte or 8 megabits. The game's soundtrack probably comprises around 1/9th of the game's entire code (or so). It gets tricky when talking about game megs.

Back when you were looking for web space I was going to offer to store the files for you, which is why I asked how much you wanted to upload. You seemed adamant on doing it yourself so I did not ask, but the offer still stands.

Icarus4578
03-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I am not that big on game soundtracks. I must admit tho I am a sucker for ambient music and sound effects... when used wisely.

So I take it you enjoy the soundtracks to games like Resident Evil?

Interesting piece. Game music kicks ass and believe it or not it comprises the majority of music I listen to when I choose to listen to music in places like my car or on my MiniDisc player before I sleep or whatever. Game music often influences how much I am able to get into a game.

That's certainly true, and I agree about game music comprising the majority of your selection of music. There's so much great stuff out there.

A few things, though:

It would be nice to not only read which system each selection is on (is Outrunners for arcade or Genesis? I prefer the arcade soundtrack myself). Also it would be nice to read your opinions on what makes each soundtrack great instead of just the title. 100KB isn't 1/10th of a meg unless you are referrring to a megabyte. 128KB is 1 game meg. A game like Super Castlevania IV has only 1024KB... 1 megabyte or 8 megabits. The game's soundtrack probably comprises around 1/9th of the game's entire code (or so). It gets tricky when talking about game megs.

Back when you were looking for web space I was going to offer to store the files for you, which is why I asked how much you wanted to upload. You seemed adamant on doing it yourself so I did not ask, but the offer still stands.

Right. The reason I still refer to old games by MEGS rather than specifying 'megabytes' and/or 'megabits' is purely to evoke the sense that the past generation of gaming is still just as alive today as it was before. It's just a small quirk which I've clung tooth and nail to. As for storing the sound files, if you want to do it I'll send you all of the songs in .wma format (almost 125Mb total). Since I'm not going to sit on the PC for several hours uploading 50 songs I'll just send them on disc. I tried out several online webhosting sites only to be given the runaround. When I called iPowerWeb they explained that they didn't accept money orders, and I'm not using a credit card for this. So I went over to RegisterFly.com which Drunken Savior recommended to me and figured it out but found myself in a somewhat tight spot financially (they're asking around $145 for their annual services), and I'm still not sure how much I'm going to need for the rest of the month, so I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to this.

Finally, I'll update the music page around the same time you do with links to various soundtracks available for purchase.

Joe Redifer
03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Send 'em via e-mail and I'll upload them. 125MB is nothing unless you are still on dial up. You use AOL and each e-mail can contain around 16 megabytes. Just cue 'em up and walk away for a little while. I'll upload them and send you the URLs. Then you can do your thing.

Nindalf
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Uh-huh. Well I've got news for you: No Mario title managed to make it to the top 10. However, Zelda did.

#10: Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night

#9: Suikoden

#8: Dark Legend

#7: Ys Book I & II

#6: Ridge Racer Type 4

#5: Final Fantasy VI

#4: Alundra

#3: Chrono Trigger

#2: Super Castlevania IV

#1: NiGHTS ~ Into Dreams/Christmas NiGHTS

WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?

Lord_Yggdrassil
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
That list must be RETRO games.

Alexander
03-17-2006, 05:12 PM
That list must be RETRO games.
Older games had to rely on music to convey emotion and surroundings. Since graphic capabilities were limited, much more time was spent on story and sound rather than visuals. Today, however, graphic powerhouses sacrifice music and story because they believe that the game's world can be more accurately conveyed through realistic visual portrayals.

That, of course, is not true.

Icarus4578
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?

You fell for it! :haha:

Paper exe
03-18-2006, 04:59 AM
I find it weird that you choose Megaman 8 over 2. As much as I am a Megaman fan I still think that 8 have the weakest soundtrack.

Icarus4578
03-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I have to post the special again in two sections. This time you can download all the music (thanks to Joe lending me a hand).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Top 50 Game Soundtracks of All Time

I have enjoyed game music since the days of the NES and SMS. Humble though they may be, a large amount of the enjoyment and atmosphere present in many of yesteryears' classics can be attributed to the music. That's because music is the universal language, one which anybody can relate to and understand. In fact, long after a game's visuals and gameplay have had their full effect and sort of wither, the music, considering it's good, remains enjoyable forever. There are those games which aren't incredibly fun to play ...except that their soundtracks are so good, you can't help but want to stick it out. Have you ever played Sonic 3D Blast? Let me tell you, that was a serious letdown. But I'll always remember its soundtrack.

Sega, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, Atlus, et al. are all notable for hiring exemplary musicians who have increased the enjoyment of countless titles and helped, in no small way, to transform certain games into series of legendary proportions. Would people still be talking about what a great game Chrono Trigger was if it had a soundtrack as uneventful as Light Fantasy? Not likely. How many people can hum the tunes to games like Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda? Millions. What did people do after they had played Symphony of the Night? Bought the soundtrack. In fact, there are those who purchased the soundtrack before they even had the game because the Castlevania series has a long tradition of great soundtracks, one of its most recognizable traits.

That all being said, although there have been vast improvements in audio quality throughout the years, the music itself hasn't necessarily improved or remained consistently well-composed. I feel that this is largely due to the fact that it's easier than ever before to work out a composition on a synth/sequencer and then translate it to the game. It doesn't require the countless hours of programming individual notes into the game's code, often restricted to a considerably small fraction of the game's ROM. Consider Super Castlevania IV - it's a mere 8-MEGS. How much of that space did the programmers need to fully flesh out the computer AI, graphics, special effects, controls, etc.? Most of it. And the composer is supposed to arrange entire pieces, tell the SNES' sound board which sounds to use, when to play each note and for how long to sustain, where to add effects like vibrato and such, all within a file size of probably less than 100KB, or 1/10th of a MEG. How many of today's video game composers do you think could do that?

Nevertheless, with the dawning of the CD era we were treated to soundtracks which couldn't be accomplished on cartridge-based consoles. For once, game musicians were largely unrestricted and, in an almost odd sense, given more storage space to work with than the programmers (unless the game utilized a lot of FMV). And they took full advantage, too. Whether it was epic symphonic scores for games like Shining Force CD or rocking out like some supreme metal band a-la Lords of Thunder, appreciative gamers like myself were being spoiled rotten and those who previously didn't think much of game music became converts overnight. Those who dismiss game music as being "random noise" have never heard Suikoden's bliss-inducing soundtrack. They cannot comprehend the greatness of Mega Man 2's aural majesty, even while they're tapping their feet along with Wood Man's stage music. A studious musician should readily understand the craftsmanship and pedagogical importance which these and other works have to offer.

The purpose of this feature is not to do an expos? on the history of game music but rather to present to you what I personally feel are the 50 greatest game soundtracks of all time -- up to the present, of course. Please note that this is not a boring list of the most recogizable soundtracks, just my personal favorites. Rest assured that I've heard countless game soundtracks across the spectrum of console history and have taken into consideration hundreds upon hundreds of different soundtracks for this list. If a soundtrack only has one or two outstanding pieces, e.g. Valis III, it doesn't stand much of a chance.
-------------------------------------------------------------
#50: Outrunners (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/OutRunners.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ None currently available.

#49: Night Warriors (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/NightWarriors.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Out of print, but there is one for Vampire Hunter (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1027&did=101). Vampire ~ The Night Warriors soundtrack is sometimes seen on eBay.

#48: Strider (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Strider.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of. The Sega Genesis version arguably has better music than the original arcade. If you purchase the Strider 2 Soundtrack (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/ProductDetail?pid=1538&cid=1114&did=101) it supposedly comes with the original as well.

#47: Final Fight CD (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/FinalFightCD.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the Sega CD version which had a rearranged soundtrack courtesy of T's Music. Awhile ago, Capcom released a CD titled Street Fighter II ~ G.S.M. Capcom 4 ALFH LYRA which contained an arranged medley of Final Fight music.

#46: Ys III (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/YsIII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the TurboGrafx CD version. There is a wide assortment of various Ys soundtracks and arranged versions (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1030&did=101) available.

#45: Tokimeki Memorial (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/TokimekiMemorial.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it is a two-disc set which is now out of print but it appears on eBay frequently. There is also a wide assortment of arranged, piano, and vocal TM albums.

#44: Dragon Quest IV (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DragonQuestIV.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it can be found within Dragon Quest Game Music Super Collection Vol. 1 (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/ProductDetail?pid=10457&cid=1005&did=101). You can also check www.CDJapan.co.jp for cheaper prices.

#43: Rage Racer (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/RageRacer.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There was but it's out of print. You can always purchase the PlayStation game and listen to the music from the disc.

#42: Shining Force CD (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/ShiningForceCD.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, just purchase the game and you own the soundtrack.

#41: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link to the Past (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/TheLegendofZeldaALinktothePast.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of. .SPC files have become a popular way of listening to SNES soundtracks.

#40: Dark Wizard (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DarkWizard.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, simply purchase the actual game.

#39: Daytona USA (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DaytonaUSA.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, purchase the game. There is a soundtrack floating around for Daytona USA ~ Circuit Edition, the arranged re-release of the original, though it's rather scarce ...and stupid because if you purchase the game you'll own the soundtrack anyway.

#38: Street Fighter EX+@ (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/StreetFighterEX.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Not sure, but SFEX2 is available in both original and arranged versions.

#37: Albert Odyssey (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/AlbertOdyssey.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, as you can see here (http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ao/). However, it may be hard to come across.

#36: Actraiser (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Actraiser.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There was but not anymore. Also, for a time there was the Actraiser Symphonic Suite available.

#35: Salamander II (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/SalamanderII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, but it's out of print.

#34: Lunacy (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Lunacy.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of.

#33: Arcana (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Arcana.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ I've never seen a soundtrack available for this.

#32: Breath of Fire (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/BreathofFire.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There might have been; Capcom released soundtracks (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1019&did=101) for the other BoF titles, so I don't see why not.

#31: Secret of Mana (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/SecretofMana.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ It's a Square game. Of course there is, though I think it's out of print. You can check GameMusic.com's Seiken Densetsu (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1011&did=101) page to see if Square ever decides to release it again. Also, the original soundtrack can occasionally be found through eBay and other online stores.

#30: Shining Wisdom (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/ShiningWisdom.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ I'm almost certain there was one but maybe not. There have been various Shining Force soundtracks available as you can see here (http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks3.html).

#29: Lunar 2 ~ Eternal Blue (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Lunar2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Although you can find some Lunar soundtracks (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1025&did=101) available, I've never seen the full soundtrack available, even though there was one called Lunar 2 ~ Eternal Blue "Complete" Soundtrack (http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/lunarebc/index.html), it is not the complete soundtrack. Also worth noting is that with the Lunar 2 OST (http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/lunarebost/index.html) you don't get the actual original version nor the somewhat arranged Satrun/PlayStation versions but rather different arrangements altogether. I found the original music to the Sega CD version by downloading it many years ago.

#28: Streets of Rage 2 (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/StreetsofRage2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There used to be but not anymore.

#27: Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes II (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DragonSlayerLegendofHeroesII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the TurboGrafx CD game. It's worth noting that there was a Perfect Selection available for the original (and perhaps this one as well) which had different versions of most of the music except for the boss theme. Here are some of the Legend of Heroes soundtracks (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1045&did=101) available.

#26: Final Fantasy VII (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/FinalFantasyVII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ ...Do I even need to answer this?

Icarus4578
03-18-2006, 10:14 AM
#25: Persona 2 ~ Innocent Sin (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Persona2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it's rather easy to obtain.

#24: Mega Man 2 (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/MegaMan2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ No.

#23: Shinobi III (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/ShinobiIII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ I've never seen one.

#22: Street Fighter Alpha (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/StreetFighterAlpha.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, you can purchase either the Saturn or PlayStation version and listen via your system/CD player.

#21: Soul Blade (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/SoulBlade.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, there were several soundtracks available.

#20: Final Fantasy IV (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/FinalFantasyIV.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ How about these (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=10015&did=101)?

#19: Sega Rally Championship (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/SegaRallyChampionship.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Probably was. You can simply purchase the Sega Saturn game and listen to it as a CD.

#18: Phantasy Star II (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/PhantasyStarII.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, Sega released Phantasy Star Sound Collection I (http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/psc1/index.html) awhile ago and it contained all the music from Phantasy Star I, II, and III. However, good luck finding it.

#17: Axelay (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Axelay.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There was but it's out of print.

#16: Mega Man 8 (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/MegaMan8.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ I'm not sure.

#15: Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DragonSlayerLegendofHeroes.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, scroll up to Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes II.

#14: Lords of Thunder (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/LordsofThunder.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ I don't know but if you purchase either the Sega CD or Turbo CD version....

#13: Tekken 2 (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Tekken2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, but it's getting harder to come by. You can look here (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1021&did=101) to find various Tekken soundtracks.

#12: Wild ARMs (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/WildARMs.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, and there's one available for Alter Code F, the remake of the original PS game. However, I feel the original to be truly superior.

#11: Persona Revelations (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/PersonaRevelations.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, though it is becoming more obscure.

#10: Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/CastlevaniaSymphonyoftheNight.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ This soundtrack will be available for the rest of the century.

#9: Suikoden (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Suikoden.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, a ton of 'em. Check here (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/CategoryDetail?cid=1048&did=101). The original Genso Suikoden still has the best soundtrack of the series by far.

#8: Dark Legend (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/DarkLegend.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ No, unfortunately, and Data East is R.I.P. But if you purchase the Saturn game you can listen to all of the music. Also, they released Suikoenbu: Fuuun Saiki, A.K.A. Dark Legend 2, as an import Saturn title and it had a couple of arranged tracks and some new ones as well.

#7: Ys Book I & II (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Ys1and2.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ There certainly is.

#6: Ridge Racer Type 4 (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/RidgeRacerType4.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it's everywhere.

#5: Final Fantasy VI (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/FinalFantasyVI.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ So how are you doing today?

#4: Alundra (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/Alundra.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, there was but not anymore.

#3: Chrono Trigger (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/ChronoTrigger.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ You want this version (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/ProductDetail?pid=1314&cid=1003&did=101), not that version (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/ProductDetail?pid=1528&cid=1003&did=101).

#2: Super Castlevania IV (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/SuperCastlevaniaIV.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Konami recently reissued this as Dracula Best 2 (http://www.gamemusic.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GMOStore.woa/wa/ProductDetail?pid=1470&cid=1002&did=101) and it even comes with the soundtrack for the GameBoy's Castlevania Adventure.

#1: NiGHTS ~ Into Dreams/Christmas NiGHTS (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/ChristmasNiGHTS.wma)
Soundtrack available ~ Yes. However, they have yet to release a full soundtrack because each stage has four different arrangements for every section of each song. Also, the boss clear song isn't available on any of the soundtracks (I had to make my own version with a lot of hard work). Your best bet is to own the original game and then access the music using Christmas NiGHTS and the discs themselves.

Alexander
03-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Does the music get better in Nights than the one you posted? It sounds like generic "snow" music to me... I don't mean any offense, but I feel like I've heard it a hundred times even though this is my first time listening to it. The piano-y part is nice though. It feels very Ragnarok Online. That game has some great music. Check it out.

Also, I'm surprised Dragon Quest V or VI didn't make the list. Brilliant soundtracks, both of them. I prefer them over IV, but IV is still quite good. Tekken 2 is pretty weak in my opinion. I think Soul Blade is justified. I would also place PS II around #18.

Like Paper, I'm wondering why Megaman 8 is even on the list. Here, these are some things you need to take into consideration.

MegamanVII~Cloud Man. (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Cloud_Man.mid)

MegamanX~Highway (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/mmx1intro.mid),
Spark Mandrill (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/SparkMandrill.mid) and Storm Eagle. (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/MMXStorm.mid)

Nindalf
03-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, if that really is the best video game music has to offer, it just confirms my theory that video game music = crap.

Just tiituutiituu sounds that might sound fun while playing, but nothing worth paying for or wasting time to listen to if you're not playing a game.

Alexander
03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
If you didn't catch my earlier edit, be sure to look at that. And where's the Mother music? :crying: Let me help you out:
Overworld 2 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/mother_overworld.mid)
Overworld 3 (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/eb0_mother_field2.mid)
Fourside! (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/fourside_swing.mid)
Battling Hippies (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Retro_Hippie.mid)
Sound Stones (Short, but very nice) (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/SoundStoneMe.mid)
Venus's Performace (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Earthbound_Venus.mid)

I would put the Mother series in the top 20, simply because of how many different styles of music they incorporate into a single game. And since the story somewhat revolves around music, it comes as no surprise that the team would spend a lot of time on just that.

Whoops. Doesn't allow it. Forget it.

Icarus4578
03-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Xander, did you read this part?

...what I personally feel are the 50 greatest game soundtracks of all time...

I didn't forget about the other Mega Man games. I simply don't enjoy the others' soundtracks as much as 8 and 2. I do like some of their soundtracks, like 3.

Nindalf, I bet you wouldn't be saying that if there was a game with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. But then there are those game soundtracks which I know you just adore, like Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon.

Alexander
03-18-2006, 11:51 PM
It wasn't that I was questioning your opinion, I just didn't know if you'd heard the songs or not.

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Nindalf, I bet you wouldn't be saying that if there was a game with a Pink Floyd soundtrack.

If some game would just take a Pink Floyd album and use it as a soundtrack, it wouldn't be video game music. Some of the songs in GTA games are good, but no one calls them video game music.

Icarus4578
03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
What I meant was what if they were commissioned to do the soundtrack for a game, sort of similar to how Trent Reznor had been? As for GTA, yes and no -- it is technically a video game soundtrack, so you can call it that, but it's not considered "video game music."

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
The thing is that Pink Floyd, or any other band of their caliber(Well, especially Pink Floyd, since they're not a band anymore), would never do a video game soundtrack. They know they can make most money by themselves, or they would just take the money and make some crap and but their name on it. So either they wouldn't do it, or they'd half-ass it for a quick buck. They'd leave real stuff for their own albums. Most likely they wouldn't bother.

And that is stupid logic, anyway. Might as well say N'Sync could make a great album if they'd resurrect John Lennon and Freddie Mercury to help them. Yeah, they could, but it's not going to happen.

Nine Inch Nails suck anyway. Trent should only make video game music. That's where second grade artists like him belong.

Icarus4578
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Calm down, it was just a what-if scenaro.

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I am completely calm. I was just saying your "what-if" scenario was totally ridiculous.

And that Nine Inch Nails suck.

Icarus4578
03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
And that game music sucks.

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Naturally.

Icarus4578
03-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Ok, you win. Happy now?

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
No. I'm always depressed.

Icarus4578
03-19-2006, 12:26 PM
You don't know was depression is until you've walked in my shoes.

Nindalf
03-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Having big shoes is no reason to be depressed.

tpfkanep
03-20-2006, 01:03 AM
So I take it you enjoy the soundtracks to games like Resident Evil?The only RE game I played (and actually enjoyed - a bit) was RE4. The music was OK, nothing earth shattering - the way I like it. It was not intrusive (like e.g. Ratchet & Clank's musical bombardment). Ico's use of sound effects and music is minamalist... and perfect for my tastes.

Icarus4578
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Icarus Editorial #11 ~ Rip-offs

With the current drought of quality software, I began pondering what made me attracted to the new consoles in the first place. The X360's offerings thus far have been more-of-the-same and it looks as though the PS3 is just going to be a PS2 with better visuals. For those of you who'd bother to take a step back and look at what's being hyped as the "next big thing," you'll notice that it's always either sequels to games we've played a hundred times before or cheap imitations.

It seems that nowadays companies don't add much in terms of play mechanics and new ideas to their franchises. It took Capcom about a decade to radically change the play mechanics of Resident Evil with 4; past sequels would all play the same as the original (with a couple of slight adjustments -- some may call this FINE-TUNING). Mega Man has traditionally played the same albeit with small changes like the dash and charge shot. 2D Castlevania has played the same since SotN, and I don't even want to get into how sloppy the 3D installments are. I'm saying to myself, if this is how the big companies are doing business, what will happen with the next generation of consoles? We're getting a sneak preview with the X360. All of the games are either tired sequels or rehashes. Is Oblivion really such a good game that you'd pay $400 for the console?

And what of Nintendo? Is it really ok for them to rest on their laurels and use the DS to gain market share while the GC gets shut out? Makes no sense to me. I keep hearing them talk and talk and talk about how wonderful Zelda is going to be. Gee, that's really great. What about all the months inbetween? You see, I don't want to hear about how great something is -- I want to experience something great. The Revolution may very well be the console to offer me the kind of nuanced variety I've been starving for in home console gaming for such a long while. How long has it been since I've played a game as utterly incredible as Super Metroid? Or, more important, how long will it be until a company takes the time and skill necessary to create a work of art which grabs hold and doesn't let go? RE4 was good, very good, but not that good.

How do companies work these days? Do all the executives in charge of marketing and advertising huddle in a circle and discuss what's currently popular at the moment, and then try to imitate that formula? "Mark, we've come up with a new concept for your team. Ok, here's how it works: You're a soldier at war with all these guns at your disposal. You have to infiltrate the enemy compounds and kill the *insert archetypal enemy*. Now get to work." Do we really need 1,401 FPS? It has become like a disease. This is worse--far worse--than the fighting game craze of the '90's. I'm serious.

When third-parties aren't busy stealing and ripping off other companies, the first-parties are. Take Sony, for example. Somebody must've fallen head over heels for Nintendo's Rev controller because from all the reports I've been hearing they're intent on ripping it off. Sony's idea is to tack on an Eye-Toy-like thing to their PS3 controller, probably with some adjustments. Will they also rip-off the motion tilt/sensory function? You can bet on it. It probably won't be as intuitive as Nintendo's but the fact remains that Sony's R&D department consists entirely of people who try to rip-off every idea Nintendo decides to incorporate into their technology. Since Nintendo had announced that they would be offering a service for the Rev where people could purchase past titles, Sony had to follow suit. What does this all tell me? Sony has no good ideas of their own and they look up to Nintendo like a baby does to its mother and father.

Hey Sony, who's your daddy? Nintendo, of course. :cool:

It's too early for me to be talking about the software for the PS3 and Revolution, so I'll just sit back and wait for this year's E3 in May. Are you all excited about all of the "new" games that'll be shown? I can't wait to see what all of those past hits look like all dolled up on next generation hardware.

tpfkanep
03-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Are you all excited about all of the "new" games that'll be shown?Not at all. If the Revolution (the only console I am... remotely interested in) = the same legacy titles + Revmote play then I will be dissapointed. Mario, Link, Samus, etc. have done their bit for gaming. It is time to move on. [If, on the other hand these IPs are designed from the ground up with Revmote in mind, I can't wait.] That is what a revolution represents. Talking of FPSs: The irony is that the Revolution will supposedly be "the" place for FPSs.

Joe Redifer
03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
I'll be excited when I see something exciting. I am not one of the legions who are pissing their pants with excitment over SpiderMan 3 for the Revolution. I bet a lot of previously apathetic people will start saying "Genesis roolz" just because its games can be played on the Revolution. I can't wait for those kids.

ALttP
03-24-2006, 04:32 AM
Genesis on Revo FTW! Even though I never played Genesis much (I was raised on SNES and, strangely enough, GG, although I didn't have many games on that).

Icarus4578
03-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Yup, the Genesis and TG16 are both going to have their libraries available for download on the Rev. I can finally play Barbie Super Model the way it was intended to be played!

Joe Redifer
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
It was intended to be played on the Rev?

gearhound
04-03-2006, 07:43 PM
icarus, go ahead uprood it.

Icarus4578
04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Not sure what you mean.

gearhound
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Not sure what you mean.

go finish level 2 in neo contra... then you'll know... then you'll laugh.

Dr. Bombay
04-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Not that you need to do more than watch the intro to that piece of **** in order to be laughing.

Icarus4578
04-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't own Neo Contra (nor do I want to). I'll just review something tomorrow.

gearhound
04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Not that you need to do more than watch the intro to that piece of **** in order to be laughing.
neo contra isn't that bad... but compared to real contra, it's sad... yeah, it's meant to be funny like that. the dialogue is hilarious and the cutscenes are pretty cool. the ultimate video that you unlock by beating the game with an S ranking is fucking awesome. neo contra is only average.

Icarus4578
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Bullet splash

Mushihimesama - PS2 (Import) - Rating 8 (*note* 'Mushihime-sama' means Insect Princess (formal) [?])
Let's face it -- Cave now technically owns the shooter genre. They've created their own unique brand of shooter which combines a highly stylized sense of art form with relentlessly applied bullet patterns which come in just about every form, wave and motion possible. And as for the gameplay, forget it. They're masters at what they do, and so it comes as no surprise that Mushihimesama is levels above and beyond what most other shooters have to offer. What's interesting is that there are different groups of shooter fans who adhere to particular styles, some of whom don't care for one kind of shooter but will love another to death. Case in point: myself. While I can dig a shooter such as Ikaruga, I do not find myself drawn to the white/black play mechanics. In the case of Mushihimesama, however, I'm immediately drawn in by the intense 'normal' shooter experience which it has to offer. But Mushi isn't really normal by conventional terminology. Had this game come out ten years ago, people would be freaked out by the astounding array of firepower being displayed onscreen at any given time.

Released for the Japanese PS2 by Taito (Akira helped port some of their others...), Mushi is, in a nutshell, kickass. It's one of the most fun games I've played in quite some time. Yes, it's probably better than every X360 game thus far, not that that would be an accomplishment, but that still has to count for something, ne? It seems as though everybody and their mothers clamors for other Cave shooters such as DoDon Pachi and the like. The reason I prefer Mushi over those others is because it feels like a tribute to shooters of the years gone by with its perfect medling of old-school vertical shooter mayhem with newer gameplay concepts such as holding your shot button to create a concentrated attack (which will slow down your speed) and rack up your counter for increased score. I usually don't play shooters for the score. Here, not only is it acceptable but an added incentive to help you perform better. I wish I could take clear screenshots and show it to you but I lack the means necessary, so you'll have to settle for this humble link ~ http://www.cf-network.com/cfan/article_cfan.php3?id_article=2960

Seeing the game in action paints the truest picture. If you've ever seen a DoDon Pachi or ESP title in motion then you have a good general idea what to expect. There are two modes in Mushi: Original and Arranged. There's quite a big difference between them. In Original mode, after you've selected your preferred shot type (which can be changed during the game...), you then select from three difficulties (excluding the difficulty level set in the options screen) and these will have an effect on your counters, the difficulty (duh) and the final boss fight. Plus, you're given infinite continues. In Arrange mode you don't select a difficulty and are given only one chance to go through the game in its entirety, without continues. There are different bullet patterns, more counters, you begin with full firepower (two more options than Arcade), can switch between modes, and whenever you take a hit with a bomb in your inventory it will set it off until you've got no more left.

The graphics are excellent with highly detailed backgrounds and lush CG-rendered enemies. As you'll immediately notice, the main motif is bugs and plants. Very organic. There are just five stages BUT there's an insane amount of replayability. Think Strider for Genesis and you'll know exactly what I mean. ;) Playing through Mushi is a blast and it never gets old. I mentioned the insane amount of enemy firepower onscreen before. The character designs are by Tomoyuki Kotani who also did the artwork for Gwange and, I think, Ibara. (Ibara, btw, is an insanely difficult shooter, perhaps the hardest I've played to date.) I like what a reviewer for Siliconera.com (http://www.siliconera.com/ps2/mushihime/050815.htm) had to say about Mushi ~ "Paradise for shoot-em up fans, hell for everyone else." That's as accurate a description as you'll probably find.

As good as Cave's visual prowess is, it's the music which takes it to a whole new level. Right off the bat you'll be pumped by Stage 1's music, "Shinju heading into the forest," Shinju being the lady you control throughout the game. It's very upbeat music with pulsating harmonic changes and a rhythm section that's just "alive." Stage 2's music, "Furthermore, the desert must as be crossed," isn't as good, but Stage 3 and particularly Stage 5's music is exceptional. Stage 4's music reminds me of Sega's Astal soundtrack (new age). The true final boss' theme "Requiem of the Sky" is a nice choral piece, unusual to hear in a game, much less in a shooter, but fits in perfectly here. Speaking of the true final boss, I've fought with it about five times and couldn't figure out how to destroy it. I could get down to about 1/6th of its life bar and then had to wait--read: keep dying--until it self-destructed. Hmmm. The sound effects are great except for when you use a bomb which sounds a little weak. (Note that you can adjust the volume levels for the music, sound, and voice). Shinju's voice, which you'll hear at the start of every stage and just before every boss battle, is kind of whiney and demure. In a word, annoying. But it's no big whoop.

If you have the means, please, grab yourself a copy of this gem of a shooter. We desperately need more games of this calibur. As of today, Cave is one of the frontier developers of shooters, the people who are inspiring a new generation of shooter fans and carrying the genre into the 21st century. Here's hoping they keep 'em coming for many years to come.

Joe Redifer
04-23-2006, 06:01 PM
but that still has to count for something, ne?
Ne? What language is that supposed to be? I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're not Japanese, you never will be and neither are the people who read your reviews. ?Conseguido lo?

Shinju's voice, which you'll hear at the start of every stage and just before every boss battle, is kind of whiney and demure. In a word, annoying.
I think this is to be expected. All female Japanese voice actors are specifically bred to sound as high-pitched, whiney, child-like and annoying as humanly possible. Very rare is it that you'll hear a female Japanese voice that sounds like a grown woman in a videogame. Remember, the Japanese are pedophiles and they like 'em young. REALLY young.

Other than that, the review is pretty good. Cave shooters usually bore me after a few levels, though. The only thing that makes them unique is the massive amounts of firepower the games dish out. Your hit box is the size of a single pixel as is the "strike box" of the enemy bullets, so most of the time you fly right through the bullets without any damage at all. Personally I'll take a lot of the old-school shooters over this one (I also don't like pillar-boxed vertical shooters very much).

Icarus4578
04-23-2006, 09:34 PM
"Ne" = "Right" in Japanese, far as I know. BTW, the hit detection box is about four pixels or so.

ImgzHost.com sucks. Don't use them.

Joe Redifer
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Actually Altered Beast was 2-meg. It only seems like 4-meg because it is so damned POWERFUL!

Icarus4578
04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Hmmm, I always thought it was 4. Anyway, something's apparently wrong. They took down my review layout. The dimensions are 720x2020 and filesize 1.49 MB. They claim that you can upload images about the size of 10 MB and then use them on forums. However, apparently they won't let me do so.

Icarus4578
04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/forgottenworlds.jpg

gearhound
04-24-2006, 07:48 PM
how did you do that magazine-styled format? pretty sweet!

Icarus4578
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I made it with hard, hard work. I'll have up another either tonight or tomorrow morning.

gearhound
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
that is pretty awesome... are you using indesign?

Icarus4578
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
No, just Photoshop.
-------------------------------------
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/finalfight.jpg

Joe Redifer
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Alright, your reviews are looking better. I see you even took the time to resize the arcade FF shots as Capcom arcade games are a bit wide before being properly formatted (they use non-square pixels). I like the comparison shots as well. As for the Two-P/Y-signal, I've always noticed that. They never ever face forward, either. Both games also have fat dudes that blow fire and an elevator stage. All of this is REQUIRED for a side-scrolling brawler. If your game doesn't have these, they kick you out of Japan.

Icarus4578
04-25-2006, 02:13 PM
:D That's funny. I know that those chubby dudes in Streets of Rage blow fire but the chubby dudes in Final Fight just try and ram you with their big fat heads. Resizing the shots is extremely easy. Notice that I kept some of them in the widescreen format. I just did it as an effect for the layout, just like that Forgotten Worlds arcade screenshot. Perhaps it would've been better if I resized that, too, but it's not really an issue.

Joe Redifer
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah, most people don't bother to resize and assume that the arcade games had a screen as wide as the graphics. Golden Axe 3 had fire blowing fat dudes. Golden Axe 3 is THE REFERENCE! :)

Alexander
04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Good, I like what you've done. Much better than trying to read one blob of text with no fancy pictures.

gearhound
04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
man, i love final fight. i am so good at it, too. in fact, i am better than icarus and redifer combined! hah! :cool: super sweet reviews, man.

Joe Redifer
04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Yes, I demand you go back and change ALL of your reviews to this new format. I'll check back tomorrow and if it has not been done, I'll delete EVERYTHING but the latest two reviews. Sounds reasonable, eh?

Icarus4578
04-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Heh, I would if I could but I don't have the storage capacity nor bandwidth for that, not to mention the countless hours to design around 300 reviews.

The Icarus4578 Mirror!? ~ http://home.comcast.net/~stalepie/

gearhound
04-26-2006, 05:45 PM
...not to mention the countless hours to design around 300 reviews.

yeah, it's hard to believe you have written 300 reviews.

Icarus4578
04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
It's almost too much. I won't have that kind of free time anymore, though I'll do some more reviews like the last two. In fact, I'm working on one now whenever I have free time, so look forward to it.

Joe Redifer
04-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm glad to hear that you took that job at Burger King, Icarus.

Icarus4578
04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Only because you referred me.

Icarus4578
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/legendaryaxe.jpg

Joe Redifer
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Legendary Axe is a great game that is fun, but I always stop playing the first time I die because it takes so long to power yourself back up again and I hate it when games do that. It's also boring to play when you're so weak and in a high level. Fun game for the first few levels, but I still prefer Legendary Axe 2 which has nothing to do with LA 1.

Do you use a sprite ripper?

Icarus4578
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Nah, nothing nearly as technical. I use Photoshop to 'edit out' the sprites from the screenshots. It's a pain but, I hope you can tell, it's worth it.

Joe Redifer
04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
You must be playing the emulator and constantly pressing the "save screenshot" button. Do you have a button dedicated to saving screens right on your joystick/pad?

Icarus4578
04-29-2006, 08:50 AM
I make sure that I'm grabbing screenshots whenever something new comes up so that I don't risk missing out on something. All total, I took over 300 screenshots of LA. It varies depending on the game (both which button and how many screenshots I take).

Nindalf
04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I'm just blacking out that "Icarus4578" and posting them on my site.

RingofFire
04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I'm just blacking out that "Icarus4578" and posting them on my site.

Yes Nindalf,

You can then go black yourself out on the highway too when you are done, you stupid thief with no musical taste?

Why don't you just go and die off?

That'll put an end to you, your stupid depression that means no **** to anybody[/B], your brain disease AND your retarded "theory" that game music = crap.

You = pale garbage
is more the axiom here.

And I bet you can't even create such good music or ANY MUSIC to save your bloody useless life you spastic! Go **** yourself!

Icarus4578
04-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Um, holy.... Why the hostility? I don't think Nindalf was being serious. He knows what happens to people who steal my stuff.

http://sheikson.tripod.com/SabuChairShot%20Crusger.jpg

Anyway, I should have up a review for Strider, again, tomorrow.

Joe Redifer
04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey RingofFire, I went ahead and banned the following:

Ermac666
FallingStar
Healin
Heushade

Have a good day.

Icarus4578
04-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Ermac666 sounds somewhat familiar, but I've never heard of those others. How could one person have so many screen names here? I thought the limit was one.

Nindalf
04-30-2006, 04:49 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that I have been insulted.

Icarus4578
04-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, seems that way, but I wouldn't let it get to you. What I don't understand is why he chose my thread to do it.

stalepie
05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Heh, I would if I could but I don't have the storage capacity nor bandwidth for that, not to mention the countless hours to design around 300 reviews.

The Icarus4578 Mirror!? ~ http://home.comcast.net/~stalepie/
Hey. Yes, it WAS the Icarus4578 Mirror, but now it has other reviews. I'm hoping others will contribute. Who knows. If you want to contribute anything, e-mail me:
stalepie@comcast.net

Icarus4578
05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Looks nice. I'll help out more sometime after I finish with Strider.

Icarus4578
05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/strider.jpg

Joe Redifer
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Nice review! I wasn't very fond of Strider 2 for the Playstation. It didn't capture that Strider feel. It had the arcade version of Strider so that makes it cool. The US version of both the arcade and Genesis version took out some ovices for some odd reason.

Icarus4578
05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
I never realized that before about the voices, but I think Strider 2 is a great game even if it isn't quite as good as the original. I don't want to wait another decade for part 3.

stalepie
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I love Strider on the Genesis. I was really disappointed with the PS version considering what I paid, as the arcade emulation/port of Strider 1 has worse sound than both MAME and the Genesis!

Icarus4578
05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Stalepie, I played Mario Adventure and found it interesting. Not as well made as Mario 3, of course, but it's still pretty good. On another note, I'll keep working on stuff for your site. 25MB limit, eh?

Alexander
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Stalepie, I played Mario Adventure and found it interesting. Not as well made as Mario 3, of course, but it's still pretty good. On another note, I'll keep working on stuff for your site. 25MB limit, eh?
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

What's Mario Adventure?

Icarus4578
05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Here you go. This is Stalepie's review of the game, and at the bottom is a link to download the ROM ~ http://home.comcast.net/~stalepie/mario_adv.txt

I should explain a little. MA is a hack of Mario 3 which is actually a completely new game, not just a stupid alteration. It's pretty difficult so be ready for that.

tpfkanep
05-05-2006, 03:39 AM
1. Are the Photoshop-type reviews now standard? If it is, please post/link the text-only version, please...

...if it's not too much of an effort.

2. When linking to reviews, please try and use the URL tags to describe the name of the title you reviewed, and whether it's a Photoshop or text-only version. At the moment I have to click the link to find out what http://fileplanet.us/files/728/ST%20review.jpg is.

Thanks.

stalepie
05-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Something tells me if I re-read my Mario Adventure review I wrote so late that night, I'm gonna be embarrassed.

And see, Icarus, what did I tell you about your perfectionism! 2MB files! You know, if you save them at 65% compression, you can probably get them down to 350KB each. :-]

Icarus4578
05-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Yeah, and lose a ton of quality in the process. Even if you are using a 56K modem, the pics should download fast enough and then you can right-click and save them.

tpfkanep, I can accommodate your first request but am not sure what you mean by the second request. Are you asking me to rename the actual pics themselves, e.g. "Strider Review.jpg", or do you mean something else?

tpfkanep
05-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Something like this, Icarus, for Strider will do: Strider Review ( http://fileplanet.us/files/728/ST%20review.jpg). Then you can keep whatever naming convention you have used up till now. Or even, if you're really lazy: Strider Review: http://fileplanet.us/files/728/ST%20review.jpg :lol:

I do not really have a problem with loading the Photoshop efforts (most of the times), it's just that I want to get to a review with a minimal amount of fuss, hence the text request. By all means do not stop with what you're doing.

Icarus4578
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
*edited*

tpfkanep
05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
With such a lot of reviews, I cannot disagree with that claim.

Icarus4578
05-08-2006, 08:32 AM
I'll have up a new review for the PC98 this weekend.

Icarus4578
06-05-2006, 08:55 AM
My God. It's been almost a month with no update. I'll have to do something.

Icarus4578
06-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Whew! Finally!
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/kaien.jpg

Joe Redifer
06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
That game looks extremely average. Even more average than the average shooter. The programmers and graphic designers seem to have gone out of their way to add an extra amount of average in the game.

Seraph
06-28-2006, 01:50 AM
How would it compare to say, 1942?

Icarus4578
06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
It's pretty average by today's standards. Heck, it's nothing extraordinary in comparison with older gems. 1942? Eh, it's different. Like I said, it's more like Life Force, at least so far as the game set-up. Gameplay-wise, it's more of a Tiger Heli-type affair although it's more futuristic than that.

Icarus4578
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I'll have up something new tomorrow. Be there.

Joe Redifer
07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Be where? I'll be here instead.

Icarus4578
07-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I'll put it up today. I got delayed unexpectedly because of a program I needed.

Icarus4578
07-16-2006, 02:32 PM
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/icarusspecial.jpg

SuperAngelo64
07-16-2006, 03:13 PM
#1: So true, though I admit I went into the game without any doubts.. not to mention it came with the Gameboy so I had nothing to lose =). It's probably my favorite in the whole series, I'd die if they remade a 16-bit version of this with enhanced music.

#5: I don't know if it was just my cart, but there was always a 50% chance the game would freeze after beating Super Machoman. So beating Tyson was a big deal.. somehow when they switched over to "Mr.Dream" it just wasn't a big deal anymore. Still I can relate; at the tender age of 5 this game already had violence coursing through my vains and is probably one of my earliest influences of wanting to become a boxer.

#8: I never played Chrono Trigger until long after it came out. My friends ranted and raved about it non-stop (one in particular brought it up almost daily). So I decided that since it would be damn near impossibly to find a cart of it, I'd get the ROM. Damn.. I finally knew why the hell it was so popular.

Icarus4578
07-16-2006, 03:40 PM
#1: I never thought of that! Now I'm going to kick down Nintendo's doors, get Miyamoto into a submission of some kind (I'm leaning towards a figure-four leg lock) and demand they do that.

#5: Hmmm, I've never had that problem. Nintendo changed Mike Tyson to Mr. Dream after the Tyson rape scandal to avoid bad publicity.

#8: And you found out what all the hoopla was about.

SuperAngelo64
07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
#5: Hmmm, I've never had that problem. Nintendo changed Mike Tyson to Mr. Dream after the Tyson rape scandal to avoid bad publicity.

It's a shame, not only was Tyson an awesome fighter, but an intimidating pixelated final boss. I had played the original when I was about 4 or 5, a few years later in highschool a friend of mine hooked up her old NES and had the 'New' Punch-Out. I played it all the way through and got to the end and was like "What the ****?? They replaced Tyson with Vanilla Ice? This is bull!".

Joe Redifer
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I think anyone who buys the Punch Out with the white final boss is a completely bigoted racist and probably also a member of the KKK.

SuperAngelo64
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I think anyone who buys the Punch Out with the white final boss is a completely bigoted racist and probably also a member of the KKK.

My friend was black :spinface:

Joe Redifer
07-16-2006, 09:03 PM
If you have a friend that is black or know of someone somewhere who is black, that means you are not racist.

I think you are lying, though, PaladinAngel. Look at your avatar. A bunch of white guys with a weapon.

SuperAngelo64
07-16-2006, 10:33 PM
If you have a friend that is black or know of someone somewhere who is black, that means you are not racist.

I think you are lying, though, PaladinAngel. Look at your avatar. A bunch of white guys with a weapon.

No I meant the friend who's house I played NES with that bought the Punchout w/ Mr.Dream was black, thus pointing out the irony in your following statement.

And my avatar has nothing to do with race, only weeaboos... damn weeaboos..

Vegetto
07-16-2006, 11:19 PM
nice read icarus

wow I posted in the review thread

Icarus4578
07-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Shouldn't everybody?

I can't stand playing the Punch-Out!! with Mr. Dream. Mike was probably incriminated by somebody who was jealous of his success in boxing and gaming, somebody who wanted to be in a game of his own. Someone like Ralph Macchio.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/KarateCop/Ralph.jpg

SuperAngelo64
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Damn Macchio, running around all high and mighty acting like he's 'the best around'. Wonder who gave him that idea :donno:

Icarus4578
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, so the site which I was using to host my images, FilePlanet.us, changed and my images are down. So much for that. :thumbdn:

Paper exe
07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Actually I envied your images yesterday night. Sorry Icarus I really didn't mean all this to happen nor did I expected it to happen. :sweat: :(

Icarus4578
07-23-2006, 05:07 AM
What are you apologizing for? You don't own FilePlanet, do you?

Paper exe
07-23-2006, 06:10 AM
You don't understand do you!? Ohh well you better off not knowing

Icarus4578
07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
No, I understand perfectly. You were envying my reviews when suddenly they unexpectedly went down (due to FilePlanet, not I) and then your life was devastated. :cool:

Chronos
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Icarus I just read the first half of your ninja gaiden review. I would have given the game a perfect score, because (thinking objectively because it is one of my favorite games), it really stretches the xbox to the limit, and the only true fault is in the original was that the camera blew. This was fixed in black and was THE MAJOR ISSUE WITH THE ORIGINAL GAME, if you did your research. So why the downplay w/ your score? It just doesn't support the facts. I found the review to lack alot of depth.

Check MM of NGB, where there are literally dozens of hi res enemies on screen (Boss +4, EASY...2 large bosses OS at the same time, marbus +120 cats in MM).

In this game enemies circle you w/ intention to KILL. Look at DMC3 and the lack of creativity that went into normal enemy AI. Even on the harder difficulties I had no problem using trickster to avoid (sometimes one could just spam trickster and get by). Enemies stood motionless waiting for dante to fvck em up. NG departs from this in a huge way that you failed to hit on when you made the comparissons with DMC. Different "feel," cant compare.

If you gave NG a 8 you definetly, without doubt, should have given black a higher score, because they only improved with black, offering tons more content at a cheap price! And you gave this a lower score why? Slip up, IMPO. This was not a simple repackage w/ upgrade of the lunar bro, like you sort of centered your review on.

You never touched on the freeform combo aspect of the game, the guard canceling system, etc. You really missed alot in the both reviews. Central areas of the game as well. Did you even complete both games? Enemy AI was changed, flying swallow abuse was solved by giving enemies counters to it. *in the past newbs were getting thru NG exploiting the FS (flying swallow, y in air near enemy).

I mean, more things will come to me but GD sonny, you just shat on my baby.

How many hours do you have logged in NG and black combined? Based on the review i would guess not many. NGB is an aquired taste I guess.

Also, black is essentially two games in one, with story mode (almost same as original, like you said added lunar, etc, but you failed to hit on the dozens of other MORE SIGNIFICANT changes, such as said ability to self-charge w/no essence).

The second "game within a game" is mission mode, that's 50 GD missions that were not seen in the original game. (battle scenarios). reading your review makes me feel like you played the first couple chapters and started writing graphs.

Although I have to commend you on writing a review for the game at all. Being as deep as it is, it is of no surprise to me that your score is reflective of this attitude.

Your writing stands out as excellent, though please space your paragraphs so that speed readers like myself can quickly scan the screen. I read very quickly if there's paragraphs, however my eyes get lost in the endless reams of text.

It would mean I could read-scan reviews in seconds.

in sum, NGB: ability to charge a UT. Smoke bombs were also added to aid in enemy avoidance and UT charge, changing the ENTIRE SCORING SYSTEM, and what is possible in COMBAT, not story, which is not what NGB is about. This isnt a GD RPG.

I think you see where I am going. As an endgame NGB player with over 800 hours...what the hell?

Oh well that's why ninja gaiden retirement communities exist. (iberianwarrior.com, iberiansninjagaiden.com)

Ninja Gaiden 9/10

Ninja Gaiden Black 9.5/10

Joe Redifer
09-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Looks like someone gets a big hard on for Ninja Gaiden and doesn't like others who have different opinions than he does.

Ryan_Robert
09-07-2006, 02:47 AM
lol, it's Joe Redifer.

Chronos
09-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Looks like someone gets a big hard on for Ninja Gaiden and doesn't like others who have different opinions than he does.

It in no way affects my opinion towards the reviewer, just the review itself.

Hey, if out of all of his reviews I can only comment negatively toward one (NGB), then it's not so bad.

Icarus4578
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
I haven't played NG nor NGB in so long, I don't remember a lot of details, but I'll be as accurate as I can.

I never had much of an issue with the camera in the first NG since I could work around it by mastering how to control the camera as I saw fit. Therefore, when I went into NGB I didn't think much of it since both worked for me. You say my reviews lacked a lot of depth. Well, my purpose wasn't to describe every single aspect of every game -- that's what game manuals and strategy guides are for.

I'm not sure why you're using DMC3 for comparisons. After all, that game sucked hardcore. For myself NGB felt like a repackaging of the original with a few additions and mission mode, making it essentially a revamp. From what I remember, it was NG with all the expansion packs (*note* I never used the expansion packs for NG, so I cannot say with 100% accuracy). Of course I beat both versions.

It's obvious that you're into NG as much as I am into Street Fighter III with hundreds of hours of playtime, and yet I still criticized SFIII for various reasons. Why? As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product. I gave some Zelda games a perfect 10 even though I play SFIII more. SFIII has more replayability. If all I were rating was the funfactor then SFIII would smoke just about everything. Personal preference. Indeed, personal ratings. And yet I have to take everything into consideration. Case in point: NGB. I personally could care less about a few added--you might say "fixed"--gameplay elements or an added mission mode because, really, it's the same game. Some people may love this (yourself, the NG community) but that doesn't mean that I have to. Just because a game is challenging doesn't mean it has tremendous depth.

NGB came out about a year later than the original and supposedly fixed this and that. Is that a good thing? I don't think it is. If you're going to complete a game, make sure it's complete the first go-round. If Team Ninja added all new stages or dramatically altered the game (e.g. Resident Evil for PS > Resident Evil for GC) then it might've been another story. With a fighting game like SFIII a re-release is more forgivable when it incorporates all new characters, stages and backgrounds, because it feels new that way. I could go on and on but I'm hoping you see my point.

Thanks for reading.

Chronos
09-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I haven't played NG nor NGB in so long, I don't remember a lot of details, but I'll be as accurate as I can.

I never had much of an issue with the camera in the first NG since I could work around it by mastering how to control the camera as I saw fit. Therefore, when I went into NGB I didn't think much of it since both worked for me. You say my reviews lacked a lot of depth. Well, my purpose wasn't to describe every single aspect of every game -- that's what game manuals and strategy guides are for.

I'm not sure why you're using DMC3 for comparisons. After all, that game sucked hardcore. For myself NGB felt like a repackaging of the original with a few additions and mission mode, making it essentially a revamp. From what I remember, it was NG with all the expansion packs (*note* I never used the expansion packs for NG, so I cannot say with 100% accuracy). Of course I beat both versions.

It's obvious that you're into NG as much as I am into Street Fighter III with hundreds of hours of playtime, and yet I still criticized SFIII for various reasons. Why? As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product. I gave some Zelda games a perfect 10 even though I play SFIII more. SFIII has more replayability. If all I were rating was the funfactor then SFIII would smoke just about everything. Personal preference. Indeed, personal ratings. And yet I have to take everything into consideration. Case in point: NGB. I personally could care less about a few added--you might say "fixed"--gameplay elements or an added mission mode because, really, it's the same game. Some people may love this (yourself, the NG community) but that doesn't mean that I have to. Just because a game is challenging doesn't mean it has tremendous depth.

NGB came out about a year later than the original and supposedly fixed this and that. Is that a good thing? I don't think it is. If you're going to complete a game, make sure it's complete the first go-round. If Team Ninja added all new stages or dramatically altered the game (e.g. Resident Evil for PS > Resident Evil for GC) then it might've been another story. With a fighting game like SFIII a re-release is more forgivable when it incorporates all new characters, stages and backgrounds, because it feels new that way. I could go on and on but I'm hoping you see my point.

Thanks for reading.

It's all good.

Paragraphs rock and roll. :D Honestly my above post seems inflamatory, which is not intended.

@DMC3, you made the comparisson as well, but I was just illustrating how the combat is different.

@NGB not having enough content. For the casual NG player I understand. However this is not why NGB was created. NGB was created simply for NG diehards who would put 100s of hours into it (like me). The casual gamer could/would not finish NG story mode due to the difficulty (even on norm or ninja dog, which was also a new mode of play intro'd with black).

It was a revamp as you said...a significant revamp.

I tend to look at Ng versus black as two different games completely. Personally I preferred the original due to the increased difficulty/time limits of story mode.

@the camera: This was the no. 1 concern/complaint, ie general concensus of what needed an immediate update. NG is a game where Ryu can get juggled to death if you get a bad enemy AI algorythm roll. If the camera is being blocked by say, a wall, in the original there was no way to get out of this blind position short of using right trigger to auto center, which usually resulted in ryu getting mauled in the blind-frames. TN addressed this almost as soon as the game came out via interviews, and gave the first hint of "black" by saying something to the effect of "we will be releasing a flagship version of NG with adtl content in the coming months, in this version the camera issues are already addressed." what they did is allow by clicking in the right stick a way to manually pan the camera angle.

Missions are fun man! 50 new "levels" is not enough new content?

@Game manuals: they can never cover a game in depth, nor are they supposed to. Think SF and the fact that only 3 moves and 1 super are given per char in the game manuals, and guides will only get one so far.

I think your review is positive because it truthfully reflects your opinions, and that's what a good unbiased review is supposed to do. It's not like you slammed either game, anyway.

Oh, and SF 3 is one of my favs also, however my favorite SF game of all time is alpha 3. V-style, ground stomp, HK, repeat! motherfu**ers

Dracula
09-07-2006, 12:03 PM
No, just Photoshop.
-------------------------------------
http://fileplanet.us/files/728/FF%20review.jpg

I dont see any review? I did not see the previous one either? Did they remove your file, or did you move it to somewhere else?

tpfkanep
09-08-2006, 01:27 AM
As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product.Did I miss the memo?

Icarus4578
09-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh, and SF 3 is one of my favs also, however my favorite SF game of all time is alpha 3. V-style, ground stomp, HK, repeat! motherfu**ers

I prefer Alpha 2 although I don't mind 3, especially with the addition of Fei Long.

I dont see any review? I did not see the previous one either? Did they remove your file, or did you move it to somewhere else?

They changed their website completely so now I don't have the webspace needed. However....

Did I miss the memo?

I didn't say farewell because I'm still here, for now, and would respond to any comments posted in my thread.

tpfkanep
09-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Can you please stop with the cryptic clues? What is your plans for the future wrt your reviews? In plain English.

Icarus4578
09-10-2006, 08:43 AM
I've finished reviewing games. Nothing cryptic about that.

Joe Redifer
09-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Icarus do you want me to host the images of the reviews that are missing? I have all of those images and could easily upload them and send you a new link, so at least there wouldn't be anything missing.

Icarus4578
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
That's up to you. I'm definitely finished reviewing games. There are other priorities in my life now that must be attended to. Of course we'll still be in touch -- I don't abandon friends.

Icarus4578
09-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks to Joe providing some webspace, I've been able to restore the magazine-style reviews. I almost said "GameFan-style reviews," although that wouldn't be far from the truth.

Reko8
09-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Well at least someone did a Shing Force review somewhere in the series. You gave Shining in the Darkness a.k.a Shining Force 1 an 8. I thought the 2nd one was so much better. I'm not sure how busy you are, but it's a good game if you ever want to play it.

Icarus4578
09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Shining in the Darkness isn't known as Shining Force. SitD is an RPG dungeon crawler; Shining Force is a strategy game, a completely different game that falls into the Shining series.

Icarus4578
10-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Now that I can take pictures from any game I want, I'll make another review soon.

Sinful Sam
10-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Yay another review! :clap:

Icarus4578
01-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Yup, it's coming this week. Sorry for the THREE MONTH DELAY. :clap:

Paper exe
01-14-2007, 03:13 AM
You do know that you could have denied it, right? Almost everyone forgot about it, anyway. :o

Sinful Sam
01-14-2007, 05:18 AM
I didn't forget. I never forget about these kind of stuff. I'm still waiting for the next Paper exe review. ;)

Icarus4578
01-14-2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.stargods.org/battlef2.jpg
"Humans."

Nindalf
01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
great review.

Icarus4578
01-14-2007, 11:12 PM
You think I don't know that?

Paper exe
01-15-2007, 06:46 AM
I didn't forget. I never forget about these kind of stuff. I'm still waiting for the next Paper exe review. ;)
And I was just thinking that you lot already forgot!....I don't know what to feel, happy or sad!

Icarus4578
01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/icarus/superpunchout.jpg
Note that there is another Punch-Out!, but it doesn't count as a true version in my eyes because it's a Game & Watch version.

Vegetto
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
man what a coincidence, I was telling my bro TODAY how totally freakin AWESOME this game is and how I should play it

I absolutely love this game to death, its so satisfying doing every curcuit without losing once

u get a bit of an altered ending if u beat it undefeated I do beleive

Icarus4578
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't think this is true. Although that's the only way I beat it now (undefeated), I don't think there's any difference. But you're right -- SPO! does kick mucho ass.

Seraph
01-23-2007, 01:18 AM
As big of a Nintendo whore that I am, Ive never played the series.

Your review makes me want to try it really bad now. If it comes out on VC ill get it :3

Vegetto
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
As big of a Nintendo whore that I am, Ive never played the series.

wtcrap is wrong with you!?!?

you've never played the original!?

:8):

Joe Redifer
01-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I have Mike Tyson's Rape Out (the game is all about rape, like Night Trap) and I've played Super Punch-Out. Neither of them are my cup of tea, especially SPO. I really don't like my guy being transparent... I like the way Mike Tyson forced Nintendo to handle it by having your guy smaller than everyone else. So therefore the rape-filled Mike Tyson version is better.

murray
01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I love all punch out games and still regularly play super punch out, love it.

Joe Redifer
01-23-2007, 07:29 PM

WTF?

murray
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
its the code you put on on the nes punch out to go straight to mike tyson. In my youth we used to play the nintendo demo machines in shops that gave you 2 minutes on your selected game, we used to try and beat the game within that time limit.

Joe Redifer
01-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh. I thought maybe you had to plug in an Atari Jaguar pad and start pressing the number buttons to get maximum enjoyment out of the game or something.

Icarus4578
01-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Playing with the Jaguar controller sounds like a lot of fun. Wonder why that console failed....

Omnislash005
01-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I havent been on here much as of lately but I must commend you Icarus for sticking with these reviews. All though I dont always agree with your views you are one of my favorite posters and your reviews are phenominal, plus i like the new look to your reviews with all the screenshots and what not. Keep it up.

Icarus4578
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Well thanks. I just wanted to do something different for a little change of pace.

Sinful Sam
02-27-2007, 07:10 AM
SPO! is indeed awesome. Nintendo really needs to make a proper sequel to this game. A couple of years ago EA had this game hidden on one of the Fight Nights game. The Little Mac 3D model was retarded looking. :haha:

Icarus4578
02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I never played that version. In fact, I don't recall playing a Fight Night game before. From what I heard it's not as good as SPO!

eastx
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Playing with the Jaguar controller sounds like a lot of fun. Wonder why that console failed....

Well, it was "64-bit", but you couldn't see 32-48 of those bits in action. Also, most of the games were horrible and there was no Japanese support. Only a huge company like Microsoft can push on in the console business without Japanese support. Thank goodness they finally have some decent Japanese games on their side. :)

Icarus4578
03-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I wasn't serious when I said that, you know. ;)

eastx
03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I thought that might be the case, but better safe than sorry.

Havoc2049
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, it was "64-bit", but you couldn't see 32-48 of those bits in action. Also, most of the games were horrible and there was no Japanese support. Only a huge company like Microsoft can push on in the console business without Japanese support. Thank goodness they finally have some decent Japanese games on their side. :)
:irked: :irked: :irked: :P

Joe Redifer
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm shocked.

AtariX is still alive?

Havoc2049
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm shocked.

AtariX is still alive?

Ya I know, I've become a lurker. :D I still visit the main page all the time. Magicbox is still one of the best news sites out there. I still enjoy the review threads and many of the guys here are on top of the latest news and I enjoy reading all those threads. The "jaded gamer factor" got a little too high for me here though. I've been posting over in the Play Magazine forums, where I guess you have a bunch of other gamers infected with the "Dave's Rave"(Dave Halverson/ E. Storm) disease. I'm lame :P , as I still have a "kid in a candystore" excitement about video games. Later, Joe.

BTW Icarus, your reviews keep getting better and better. They look very Diehard Gamefan-ish. :thumb-up:

SavedFromSin
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
my question is: why isn't he posting more?

Havoc2049
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Hey Saved. :) We must have posted at around the sme time. Read above.

Joe Redifer
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
AtariX when people like you leave, the forums grow worse. And you can see what kind of people pop up to replace you. We need more smart people here!

Mistatee
03-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Petition for Atari to return!

Icarus4578
03-05-2007, 04:37 AM
BTW Icarus, your reviews keep getting better and better. They look very Diehard Gamefan-ish. :thumb-up:

I wasn't completely satisfied with the SPO! review. Next time I'll do a much better job.

Because creating reviews like those is very time-consuming and I've been hard pressed for time. I'll put something together this month.

Paper exe
03-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Sonic Jam - Rating 8
---Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating 8
---Sonic 2 - Rating 7
---Sonic 3 - Rating 7
---Knuckles & Chaotix - Rating 7
Look what I found! Do I get credit for that!? :smile2:

Rubeus
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I recently started playing Dragon Warrior VII on my PSP, and I have to agree with you the game is pretty additive. In the past I gave up on the game due to its "older than old school" graphics, but after playing Dragon Quest IV on DS I got used to the graphic style and now I am able to enjoy the game.

The battles in Dragon Quest IV was boring, I felt asleep quite a few times, but DQVII was alright, and I love the music in Fishbel village.

Zachalmighty
11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
My problem with DQVII is the game breaking glitch in the village of statued people or else I would have beaten it on my PSP.

Havoc2049
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Where is Icarus????

Rubeus
11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
My problem with DQVII is the game breaking glitch in the village of statued people or else I would have beaten it on my PSP.

Are you talking about the village with all people turned into statues due to the purple rain? I've already passed that yesterday without problems, now I am heading to another island.

Icarus4578
11-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Good game. Actually both IV and VII are solid fun. If you want the soundtrack to VII it's relatively easy to get. Try here ~ http://downloads.khinsider.com/
Note that I don't authorize downloading game soundtracks like these but whatever. If you like it, support it. The composer for the DQ series, Koichi Sugiyama, is actually big on anti-piracy (I do own the double-disc OST to DQVII, as well as many others).

Man, I would've rewritten quite a few of these reviews. Kind of ashamed at some of the lame writing and cringe-worthy complaints against game magazines/web sites. I should've just ignored them outright, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm over it now.

Why is this a sticky? Joe's been keeping the reviews alive, as have a few others I see.

Joe Redifer
11-07-2009, 02:43 PM
It's not a sticky. Drunken Savior originally made it so, but then I came along and said "If any thread is going to be a sticky, it's going to be MINE!" And so my thread is the only sticky... the thread about this particular forum, anyway. ;)

Rubeus
11-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Good game. Actually both IV and VII are solid fun. If you want the soundtrack to VII it's relatively easy to get. Try here ~ http://downloads.khinsider.com/
Note that I don't authorize downloading game soundtracks like these but whatever. If you like it, support it. The composer for the DQ series, Koichi Sugiyama, is actually big on anti-piracy (I do own the double-disc OST to DQVII, as well as many others).

Man, I would've rewritten quite a few of these reviews. Kind of ashamed at some of the lame writing and cringe-worthy complaints against game magazines/web sites. I should've just ignored them outright, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm over it now.

Why is this a sticky? Joe's been keeping the reviews alive, as have a few others I see.

How does Khinsider work if you just want to download to your computer? It only offers "Send to Phone", nothing else.