PDA

View Full Version : Darren's short and sweet opinions of what i've been playing

darren
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Since i have been putting these in the 'What i've beaten' thread I thought they would be better placed here.

XBOX360:: Metro 2033 (PC version also available)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6pAvMqQm3k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6pAvMqQm3k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Overview:
Metro 2033 is an FPS with survival horror elements. The game is based on the novel Metro 2033 by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. It was developed by 4A Games in Ukraine, who also developed S.T.A.L.K.E.R on PC.

The game is played from the perspective of a character named "Artyom". The story takes place in post-apocalyptic Moscow, mostly inside the metro system where the player's character was raised (he was born before the war, in unharmed city), but occasionally the player will have to go above ground on certain missions and scavenge for valuables. The enemies that the player will encounter range from human renegades to giant mutated rats and even paranormal forces known only as "The Dark Ones". Players frequently have to defend themselves with makeshift combinations of different weapons, e.g a revolver with a sniper scope attached, adding to the atmosphere and making the player feel that there is a lack of everything. Ammunition is scarce too and the more rare, Military Grade bullets are used as currency (to purchase supplies and guns), or in combat as a last resort, giving an added damage boost, forcing the player to hoard supplies.

Positives:

Great post apocalyptic atmosphere. The outside world is dull, bleak and cold with an eerie feel, and the subway stages are dark, damp and drab, with a sense of dread about what’s around the next corner.
Interesting story with a good script. So often FPS game have lame stories. With this being based on a book it has a solid and interesting story.
The game has great visuals, some of the best I’ve seen on the 360. Great detail for all of the areas and some very nice character models
It’s all about the single player, which is great for me as I’m not a great online shooter fan
It’s harder than your average shooter, much harder

Negatives:

The gun play is not a great as it could be. I’ve often stood in front of someone and shot him in the face only to see the shot had not registered.
Some of the voice acting is a bit naff, which is a shame with a story driven game.
Some very poorly laid out level map (Black Station being the worst).
The action indicator when you are next to where you might need to plant bomb is a VERY light small yellow icon which can be easily missed when walking by.

Summery:
play time to complete was about 13 hours

There is no doubt this game has issues. Wonky gun play and some poor map layouts are a few obvious examples. But i still found myself drawn to this due to the very well put together story thats being told.

If you enjoyed S.T.A.L.K.E.R as i did then the likely hood is you will enjoy this. For anyone thats interested in the story, the novel (http://www.amazon.co.uk/METRO-2033-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/dp/0575086246/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270495824&sr=8-2)has now been translated into English. The game has left me wanting to read the book to get the full details of this very well told story. A sequal novel has been written and my fingers are crossed the book gets translated and a game made which fixes the issues this one did.

darren
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Wii:: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvXKZT80wCc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvXKZT80wCc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Overview:
Fragile Dreams is a JRPG with a hint of survial horror and japanese ghost stories. It was developed by tri-Crescendo and the team at Namco responsible for the PlayStation 2 RPGs Seven: Molmorth no Kiheitai and Venus & BravesIt was developed by tri-Crescendo and the team at Namco responsible for the PlayStation 2 RPGs Seven: Molmorth no Kiheitai and Venus & Braves

You play as Seto, a 15 year old boy who wanders the world, searching for survivors and the answers behind the disappearance of everyone else. Seto also searches for a mysterious silver haired girl named "Ren." In his quest he must deal with ghosts and demons that lurk within the ruins of the abandoned cities.

Positives:

Really nice story with interesting character.
Detailed, and varied environments to explore Emotionally absorbing story and atmospheric and beautiful audio, visuals and cinematic.
Xseed has included both the original Japanese dub and a new English re-dub.
Best in game torch
Nice use of wiimote built in speaker
Numerous save points, which is needed to mange the dated inventory system

Negatives:

PSX Resident evil inventory system which can only be managed at save pointed can become a chore
combat is very basic, and needs a lock on

Summery:
play time to complete was 12 hours

I really enjoyed this game. It doesn't have the grand multi million $$ production of say's the FF13 of this world. But what is does have over FF13 by the bucket load is charm, interesting characters and an intriguing story. I just hope they follow this up with a sequal. If you have a wii and want a JRPG with charm go get this title.

Joe Redifer
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I like the condensed style. More games, please!

Alucard
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I'll echo Joe as well with that. Very nice.

darren
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
cheers guys .. will post my thoughts on silent hill wiimake and F13 at some point ..

darren
04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
XBOX360 Final Fantasy 13 (PS3 version also available)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkOIZoFOetg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkOIZoFOetg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Overview:
Final Fantasy 13 is the latest in the long line of games in the series from Square Enix. I think I’ll leave the over view to that, as anyone that’s reading this and has not heard of Final Fantasy obviously stumbled on this message board by mistake

Positives:

An audio and visual treat which is almost second to none this generation.

Negatives:

As generic as JRPGs can get.
Boring story with a poorly written script
Dull uninteresting characters that no one will ever remember or care for
The first 25 hours is a dull wander down a very very long corridor.
Combat system seems to have been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator

Summary:
Time played so far is 35 hours and I’m saved before the boss at the top of the tower on Pulse, and not sure I can bring myself to finish the game off.

Being the Square and Final Fantasy fan I am, I really wanted to love this game. It delivered and audio and visual treat almost second to none. But sadly Destructoid said it best when they said "It takes more than graphics to make a game, and Final Fantasy XIII offers very little else other than eye candy"

Some people refuse to believe that a new Final Fantasy can't possibly be just OK because it’s a Final Fantasy title so by proxy it must be the best RPG ever made again. Some people probebly love this regardless of the poor script, dull characters and liner game play. But for me Final Fantasy has changed over the past couple of system generations for the worse and I which they would take it back to where it came from when it was awesome and not just a dull game with stunning audio and visuals.

Perhaps I was totally spoiled before I played this, as I came into this direct from finishing Mass Effect 2 which for me was one of the best games ever made, let alone this generation. But after years of waiting for me Final Fantasy deserved better than this game.

Shorty0061
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I like these.

calintz
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Perhaps I was totally spoiled before I played this, as I came into this direct from finishing Mass Effect 2 which for me was one of the best games ever made, let alone this generation. But after years of waiting for me Final Fantasy deserved better than this game.

this is exactly how i felt

ME2 will spoil alot of action/rpgs in the next couple of month

nice reviews darren - you got me wanting to buy fragile dreams now

Alucard
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I havent played ME2 and FF13 was pure shit for me, so you dont have to make excuses for the game.

darren
04-06-2010, 12:29 AM
you played FF13 before ME2 ... shame on you .. i suggest you go stand in a corner and think about what you have done for 15 minutes

nice reviews darren - you got me wanting to buy fragile dreams now

go buy it .. if its like the UK then its a cheap game anyway .. I paid 25 day one and it has an RRP of 40. I've seen it for 20 now.

its not with out its issues, basic combat, needs a lock on, VERY dated inventory system which becomes a pain later on in the game .. BUT it really is full of charm, and after ME2 is my second favourite game this year thus far.

I can always tell how much i enjoyed a game buy how long it took to finish it and how long my 1st sitting was. For example I can't play Just Cause 2 for more than an hour before i switch of and get bored. Just Cause 2 fun in small/short burst, but thats about it. However this game took me 12 hours and that was done in two sittings, the first being nearly 10 hours because i was so enjoying it.

Havoc2049
04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Excellent reviews, Darren! :thumb-up:

calintz
04-06-2010, 01:14 AM
you played FF13 before ME2 ... shame on you .. i suggest you go stand in a corner and think about what you have done for 15 minutes

go buy it .. if its like the UK then its a cheap game anyway .. I paid 25 day one and it has an RRP of 40. I've seen it for 20 now.

its not with out its issues, basic combat, needs a lock on, VERY dated inventory system which becomes a pain later on in the game .. BUT it really is full of charm, and after ME2 is my second favourite game this year thus far.

I can always tell how much i enjoyed a game buy how long it took to finish it and how long my 1st sitting was. For example I can't play Just Cause 2 for more than an hour before i switch of and get bored. Just Cause 2 fun in small/short burst, but thats about it. However this game took me 12 hours and that was done in two sittings, the first being nearly 10 hours because i was so enjoying it.

SOLD!

darren
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Wii: Silent Hill - Shattered Memories (PS2 and PSP versions are also available)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIluwIiA5dQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIluwIiA5dQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Overview:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a survival horror video game and seventh instalment of the Silent Hill series. It is a reimagining of the first game in the franchise. The basis of the game is similar to the original. You play as Harry Mason who is searching for his daughter in Silent Hill after a car accident left him unconscious.

Positives:

The story is as great now as it was when Silent hill was first release on the PS1
Great sound and effect used throughout the game to produce awesome settings. Some of the best I’ve heard on the Wii and considering it does not have DD they Climax have done a really good job here.
Very apt and erries visuals that work very well.
The only horror adventure game in a LONG time that actually made me jump
Three different endings giving optional replay value to a verry short game
Great use of the Wiimote on the Wii version. These include wiimote used as Harry's torch, the wiimote doubling up as your mobile phone etc.

Negatives:

Some of the motion jestering failed to work correctly and i found myself slapping myself in the face with the nunchuck cable
The escape sections require a lot of annoying trial and error to figure out the path in later levels
Very repetitive game play, which soon becomes a bit dull after the first few hours.
Very short to the point where you might feel robbed having paid RRP

Summary:
Time play to finish the game was 5 1/2 hours

I’m still unsure if I really enjoyed this game or not. It has the amazing story telling of the early Silent Hill games but for me is let down by repetitive game play. The games only 5-6 hours long and to be honest I found myself bored with the ‘investigate town –> run away in nightmare -> repeat ‘ pattern the game took from start to finish.

If you love the Silent Hill series and lore then I suggest picking this up in the bargain bin if you see it, but anyone paying RRP for this might feel a bit cheated.

Alucard
04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Havent played it yet but its on my long list.

Seraph
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
The only horror adventure game in a LONG timeAnd this is probably why I will never actually play this.

I'm a wuss, and if this game gets people like yourself to jump then I doubt I have the nerve to play it.

darren
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
wuss :wink:

murray
04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I had to stop after a few hours because I was frightened....frightened that the next few hours were going to be as repetitive.

Alucard
04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
You should probably go back to playing Borderlands and Too Human. You'll get that repetitive feeling right out of your system.

murray
04-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah I've been full of praise for Too Human. Talk to me when you've played Silent Hill Wii.

Alucard
04-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Gonna be a while sadly. If you ignore the 10min I messed with it at my friends place. Finally got vesperia so I'll be focusing on this first.

darren
04-10-2010, 04:31 PM
with you beig such a big Silent Hill lore whore, am sure you will like it .. it was only the great story that kept me playing tbh .. as it does repeat a lot in a short time

darren
04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
XBOX360:: Just Cause 2 (PS3 and PC versions also available)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kjs-SC70Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kjs-SC70Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Overview:
This is your typical sandbox style game ala GTA. The game is set on the other side of the world from the original Just Cause, on the fictional tropical island of Panau in Southeast Asia. Rico Rodriguez returns as the protagonist, aiming to overthrow the evil dictator Pandak "Baby" Panay and confront his former boss, Tom Sheldon

Positives:

Very fun blowing stuff up
A great looking and sounding game
Lots of missions to do
A big island to explore

Negatives:

The engine has glitched a lot. Many time i was stuck in the walls, floor and buildings totally un able to move.
Boring story which they try to jazz up with B movie stylings
A lot of missions that reapeat each other all of the time, just the same thing being done for the different factions you do job for.
Terrible voice acting
Rubbish AI, people just stand there and get shot

Summery:

play time was about 12 hours

I have not played Just Cause 1 and picked this up for something to play as reviews seemed to suggest that it might be worth a look. The game was fun in very short bursts.

Just Cauase 2 very much plays out like an open world action B movie with some dumb gameplay. for example a parachute that opens and repacks itself on demand. The idea of the game is very simple, drive around the island do missions for local mobster groups to build up enough rep to do the next story mission.

I was never able to play this for more than an hour at a time. That hour was fun but it soon became boring and repetitive. The game is great in short bursts but not a game for long sit down sesssions as it soon becomes dull and repetitive. Gun play is just OK mainly down to the issue of the rubbish AI all the enemy mobs have. Its almost as if the developers forgot to give the bad guys any form of intelligence what so ever, but this is a B movie so you have to have a high body count of dumb ass bad guys.

Anyone that liked the original game or is a massive GTA openworld style fan will probebly like this game a lot, but for me i'm not a massive GTA fan and had not played JC and after spending 12 hours with this it should have been called Just OK 2

Vegetto
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I was playing it a ton, 5 hours a day at least at first, I wasnt even touching the story mode, was just collecting and upgrading weapons/vehicles. but after 20 or so hours I got a bit bored and haven't played it much since.

one thing thats a blast doing, rolling a car down the highest mountain peak

Drunken Savior
04-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I really like the size of these reviews.

Zachalmighty
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I actually liked the voice acting, it went along with the cheesy B movie style plot that the game had. I just really hope that they weren't going for a serious game because it was FAR FROM that.

GrantXP
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Gotta say it's great to see the Metro review. People often talk about the visuals of that game being superb but the game being a letdown. The gun issue is unforgivable though! Nice and concise though. Loving reading these...